Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Maera Sior posted:

Here's my speculation as of the end of season 1 (watched less than 2 years ago, I was late to the party). So far everything holds up.

All titans are created from people. Not sure whether it was originally a "science gone wrong" thing, a weapons program, a really strange cult (thanks for the idea, NERV), or something else, but all titan forms are induced in some way starting with a regular person. The titans that don't display intelligence are people who didn't make the transformation properly or got stuck in that form. Maybe they remained in the form for too long and lost their ability to think, maybe the change accidentally lobotomized them. I'm not sure what happened to create the Abnormals, but maybe there was an additional step to the transformation to give them weird abilities.

Anime-only watcher: Part of me wonders if maybe the wall religion created titans for the purpose of encysting them to create the walls, to separate the wheat from the chaff, so to speak. Then, the technology found its way into the general populace outside the walls and they attempted to make their way into the places with food and shelter, but eventually lost control and started rampaging.

At some other point, titan juice was introduced at some point inside the walls in a couple of different places. Clearly, Eren and Annie are from different points of genesis, and it's more than likely that Ymir (Same training class as Annie, kept her name from her time with the vikings or whatever) was from a different point even than Annie. She makes mention of having a tragic backstory like Christa's and is generally a bit more pro-human than any other titan we've run across. Maybe she was kicked out of the longboat because she wasn't dead-set on xenocide?

The OVAs provide some interesting context for this whole thing.
OVA1: Aberrant titan seems to be searching for Ymir-sama
OVA3 (also 4-5 to some degree): The general public is aware enough of 3D movement gear that there's a black market for stolen units.
OVA4-5: Society keeps a portion of its people underground in an awful slum and doesn't let them back up unless they gather a lot of money.

OVA3 matters because of Beast Titan's surprise at discovering that the humans use 3DMG, which suggests that he, somehow, comes from outside the story's generally-established ecosystem. Even if he were a human that transformed, he would have some knowledge of the existence of such tools.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Blackhair looking like he's getting ready to bite his own wrist?

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Blackhair is Berthold right? I could see him being one and maybe Reiner knows since they're from the same village? I hope we find out. I hope Ymir gets the same deal Eren does too. And then the third titan. Humanity needs it's own little titan squad.

I could see them not using Ymir strategically like that. Ymir was actively trying to deceive the survey corps, whereas Eren just discovered his talent by happenstance and immediately put it to use defending humans.

I've been wondering whether Mikasa might actually be able to transform and has been just holding back so as not to injure Eren's pride in being special.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

bondster posted:

My favorite part of the reveal is they kept in the fact that it comes out pretty casually. Like in the manga the big reveal was in some small background speech bubbles.
Anime-only:
Yeah, I loved that.

Of course, the revelation of their "mission" being able to be put on hold if Eren comes with them raises more questions than it answered. How did they know that humanity had someone like Eren from the outset? How did they find the particular training class he entered? Why does it really matter in the grand scheme of things when Eren's not particularly powerful as a titan anyway?

Monkey Trouble: I can't think of who it could possibly be, if it's someone that we're supposed to care about. The similarity in appearance to Ikari Gendou makes me initially think Eren's dad, but he invented the 3DMG, right? So he wouldn't have been surprised that it existed? Also, he would have known that humans can talk. Maybe he was collecting it to show off to his buddies at wherever he now lives as something cool he made once? It would have to have been someone who was out of the picture since before we met the characters at the outset of the show, at very least.

Episode spoiler:

EDIT: Also, now that all of the really scary titans are sapient, they lose a bit of their horror factor. Like "obscenely powerful, unthinking terrors with vaguely human shapes" are a lot scarier than "controlled military assets pointed at humanity's enclave" for soem reason.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Really? It's been a while since I saw S1 and I may be misremembering some other anime, but I thought it was a specific point of shame that "I can't even use the thing my daddy invented". Strike Witches had a similar plotline, but that'd be a really weird thing to confuse with SnK.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Anime-only:
So, what does it mean for Titan Politics that Ymir ate Bert and Ernie's buddy? (I'm making a wild assumption that that's the case, since they went to the trouble to show off that scene? Is she from the Beast Titan's faction? Is she from a third faction? As seen in the image at the top of the page, it's pretty clear that Bert, at least, was scared enough for his life to give up his subterfuge during that attack. Ymir's history before Christa is something about which we know nothing, except that somehow she became a pariah.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Elotana posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3416034&pagenumber=26&perpage=40#post407560601

This was the earliest accurate speculation in the manga thread (page 37 is where the corresponding manga chapter drops so obviously don't click more than a few pages past that if you're anime-only)

A lot of the foreshadowing discussed there was kept in the anime I think

Huh... the linked manga chapter there (Ch15, pp.9-10) is another interesting bit of subterfuge by the author of this thing. On the one hand, you show off all the characters who had seen true horror on the battle field... and then you completely make people forget about it with the "ImoOnna Incident").

I'm not sure I'm going to stay anime-only for much longer. I read that it was better to wait until after this week's reveal to start reading the manga, but I've been meaning to rewatch S1, and at that rate I might as well go through the original source looking for better hints, right?

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Catalina posted:

PS to anime-only users: I cannot overstate how much you should protect yourself by not googling ANYTHING. EVER. Not even a minor character's name. Finding the right volume of manga on Amazon, there were giant loving spoilers on the pictures of even the covers of the volumes, one of which made me really mad, as it was the first picture that popped up when you searched for attack on titan manga.
Are these ebooks something that can be read on a mobile device? Or pretty much just PC/10" tablet or give up?

Re: Spoilers... I've learned my lesson never to google anything. I was watching Code Geass R1 and became interested in the backstory of a certain character, and googled her because I wanted to know about her backstory, she being about the only sympathetic power-holder in the show. So, I went and googled "Euphemia li Brittania" and obviated the next 8 episodes or so for myself.

No longer do I google things like that until I'm done with a given show/manga/whatever.

EDIT: Still anime-only at this point, talking about AoT:

What do Armin and Mikasa know that we/Eren do not? It was pretty clear that they think that he's a lot more important in the grand scheme of things than we do, just like Bert and Ernie do. I know he's their buddy, and he's necessary to fix the whole in the wall or whatever (though with Ymir presumably joining the party, that importance is slightly diminished), and he's the only shifter that they can say is indisputably on their side... but the reaction to "Oh gently caress, poo poo is starting, get out of here and let us all die" seemed like a bit more than just that.

This also plays back into my suspicion that Mikasa is a shifter also- Eren's dad requested that she protect him. That the little Japanese girl who happened to be good at fighting protect the kid who could turn into an effective superweapon. Doesn't it make sense that she would have superpowers too? Granted, I guess it's possible, or even probable, that his goal in indoctrinating Mikasa was to avoid Eren having to transform himself and deal with the politics before strictly necessary, but it would be even more safe to say "OK, this is something you should never, ever do" and give her the ability. Again, though, wouldn't she have tried it during the apparent protagonist-swap in S1? Argh

Kytrarewn fucked around with this message at 07:35 on May 8, 2017

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

MJP posted:

Anime only watcher here. I thought the Berthold and Reiner reveal was some kind of loyalty test that they had contrived.

Didn't think that things would be at the degree they are.

I'll probably ask what chapter to pick up the manga on once S2 is over.

That's the downside of the thread. Because of group participation, we got that image of Bert trying to bite his wrist from episode 4, and so there was never any doubt in my mind about what was going on. This thread has generally been pretty good, but based on things I've heard I'm going to avoid the episodic Reddit threads like the plague (even if the mods are apparently being extremely conscientious about instantly removing posts that have even the hint of a spoiler in them).

Really, the reason I'm not reading the manga is because I enjoy the thread participation, but if thread participation is going to adversely affect the experience of watching the show, it's a bit of a catch 22.

As far as my feelings on Bert being THE showcase antagonist? Well... considering that the previous episode I referred to him as "that blackhaired guy"... yeah, I was quite surprised and just a little bit annoyed.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Can you really say that Mikasa won when Reiner was the one around whom Eren wrapped his legs?

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Dogwood Fleet posted:

I think they are out to capture, not kill. Annie did the same to Eren awhile back.

I had thought that too (though I didn't specifically remember Annie/Eren) since it was pretty clear that there was no biting involved.

What worries me is Ymir's coma, the lack of sunlight (this is a factor in their healing, right?) and Bert doing some sort of hosed up parasite eve trick.

Just out of curiosity, we haven't seen any shifters die in their human forms, have we? Annie would be the only sample, and she turned into a cyst rather than dying. I think we assume that they're more fragile when human, but how far does that fragility go? Easier to kill? Or just easier to incapacitate?

Does anyone remember off the top of his/her head what other weaknesses titans have besides the cut at the back of the neck? How did Hange's titan pets die, again?

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Bread Set Jettison posted:

1) Lmao Mikasa and Armin furiously eating

That was the high point of the episode for me, too. I'm sure it looked cool in a freezeframe, but goddamn if it didn't look ridiculous while moving.

Seems like next episode will be what I was hoping this episode would be, ie. (anime-only, tagging this because recent episode)Bert and Ernie finally putting voice to their motives and us learning about how "Oh, titans were the people forced outside of the walls when they set up their little kingdom/they were the ones forced to go on a deathmarch to alleviate the food shortage like Armin's grandpappy/etc

I've been rewatching a bit of S1... there's a little blonde girl about Eren's age when they show up at the refugee camp immediately after the breach of Eren's village's wall... if that's Annie, then there was a concerted plan to infiltrate Titan-Shifters into the human populace from the getgo. Still... the motivation for that eludes me since, clearly enough that even Eren realized it, the humans were trapped in a tiny little cage at the start of S1 and the titans controlled the rest of the world. Unless it's something REALLY evil and REALLY personal, the grudge against the King and mainstream society wouldn't last 100+ years.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

abraxas posted:

I realize it's hard to follow last week and as someone said earlier, it's probably all set up for the rest of the season but that felt like a real waste of an episode in an already way-too-short season to me.
I felt that way to some degree as well, but it did set the stage for some political intrigue down the line, what with stuff being bad enough to force the Military Police to have to leave their enclave and actually put themselves in danger. Whether or not that's a good thing, given that Kabaneri happened, is up to you to decide. Still... I did notice that my feelings were largely "Oh man... I can't wait for what they've promised will happen next week" after the episode had ended, so there's more than a little bit of truth here.

quote:

Mikasa is starting to grate on me a bunch I gotta admit. As cool and awesome as it is to see her as a badass titan killer with all her sweet moves and all, she has like no character besides that. Oh Eren this Eren that, at least be a LITTLE bit like a normal, realistic person. I know it's anime and everything but jesus.. I hope there is some deeper motivation behind all this as people were speculating earlier in the thread, otherwise this is just getting a bit ridiculous.
I don't necessarily agree with this. Mikasa does want to be like a normal person, she just wants to be with Eren somewhere, anywhere. I actually thought that this episode was pretty good on that front, since it showed that Mikasa and Armin were both starting to realize what a dysfunctional relationship they had with the most infuriating protagonist seen in anime since Ichigo100%. That's actually character growth of a sort- early Mikasa only cared about Eren being safe, while current Mikasa seems to realize that Eren requires some degree of self-actualization in his goal of genocide against what we now know are sentient beings and is willing to support him to that end.

But yeah... the episode did feel like a bit of a waste.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Where could I watch the OVAs?

Nowhere. OVAs are not typically available on streaming sites, and clearly there's nowhere else where anyone might go to get anime episodes to watch.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
The writing for this episode wasn't very well done. They wasted far too much time on Ymir and Eren monologuing about obvious things.

There was, however, one important new thing that we did learn: Christa is important to Bert and Ernie's titan tribe in some capacity beyond just "Reiner likes her".

It really didn't offer that much new content to think about.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
On the one hand, we learned some interesting stuff that episode. I'm not at all sure what was going on with The cult for which Ymir played Messiah, but it gave some interesting insight into her personality and her belief that she shouldn't lie to anyone, even if she thinks that it will be to the temporary benefit of someone else. In the end, the details of what went on there may not actually be immediately important, though The thing about the King's Blood and Ymir's ability to Titanify herself may turn out to be related

We also learned a couple of other interesting things:
1. Ymir is about 90 years old
2. Titans gain the ability to turn human upon eating someone, until which point they're the mindless killing machines we already know? Perhaps that also explains the thing that Ernie was talking about with regard to "Those ones are unable to move at night" in the last episode. Could that, perhaps, explain all of the aberrant titans? Do they, perhaps, not get their special abilities until such point as they gain sentience by eating someone? Ymir ate what might or might not have been a proto-titan, since all of Reiner's party looked older than 12 or 13 or whatever they should have been 5 years ago when the event probably occurred
3. Eren, as well, probably ate someone at some point in time to gain sentience in his titan form. Was this before he was taken in by Grisha? Or was it during the time that he was rampaging after he was "killed" in S1? The revelation about Ymir's actual age when compared to her apparent age is interesting on that front. What if Grisha's injection wasn't, indeed, what titanized him, but was something to inhibit his ability to transform until it was actually needed?
4. Christa is somehow important for finding something called "The Coordinate", which Bert and Ernie think, but are not sure, refers to Eren.
5. Conny's mom turned into a titan and is able to speak. Does that mean that Conny, as well, is a proto-titan? Did Conny's mom eat someone to gain her sentience? She hasn't turned back, but is clearly aberrant, so who knows?
6. Bert's human form has a crush on Annie's human form. That's interesting, and we should have already guessed it because of titans' lack of genitals, but is shows that they primarily think of themselves as their human forms, and also that the reproductive urge occurs in some form.

On the other hand, we leave the episode in approximately the same place that we entered it, except with one no-name character dead and Christa having been captured by Ymir's party. I'm not sure how long they're going to entertain the idea that Christa was actually killed, especially since Ymir was swallowed by Bert's titan form and came out ok on the other side in her own right, which seems kinda silly, but hopefully they'll get past that soon.

Anyway, after wasting your time with a long description of everything that happened in the episode you watched anyway, I still have no idea what's going on, but some interesting context for other events was provided, and it helps me, at least, to write it all down. At this point I'm 100% sure that I'm going to read the manga from the beginning after the season is over.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Freakazoid_ posted:

Holy moley, titan serum has been a thing since way before eren's dad found out about it! And they're using it as corporal punishment! :stare:

I was watching on a small laptop screen so perhaps I missed a small detail... but It was unclear to me when Ymir was infected. I don't know that we saw any other members of the cult turn into titans when shoved off the wall- it just looked to me like they stabbed her through the heart with a sword and pushed her off, perhaps not knowing that she would turn into a titan in the process. It seemed more likely to me that the "Blood of the King" thing the cult was going on about was referring to her ability to withstand treatment with titan serum..

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Gantolandon posted:

This seems to be a completely different city than the one where Eren lives - uniforms worn by the soldiers bear no resemblance to the ones used by any of the three branches of the military. It would also make no sense if, after only 60 years, no one remembered their society used to publicly titanify people as punishment.

That's another aspect that confused me. Dana Carvey had a bit about how many people would have had to know about any conspiracy to frame OJ Simpson back in the day, and if this were the city we know, a similarly large number of the people we know would have to be feigning surprise over some of the plot twists.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Gantolandon posted:

At first, it's a normal retrospection - we see Dr. Jaeger preparing the syringe and giving his son an injection. From there, we only hear his voice, screaming his last words. Given that the serum seems to transform Ymir and her compatriots pretty immediately, it's possible Grisha speaks to Eren's titan form - and gets eaten, which gives his son a way to reverse the transformation.

I have mixed feelings about that idea. I can't shake the feeling that there has to be something special about Eren, in particular, to justify all of the hullabaloo about his existence by both known factions, and now that we've got Ymir, Bert, Ernie, Annie, Conniemom, etc... just the ability to shift back and forth between a human and a not-particularly-strong titan doesn't really do that. As such... the idea that Eren was given the same serum as Ymir and every other shifter that we know doesn't really do it for me. On the other hand, Eren's self-important and entirely unjustified smugness is always good for a laugh, especially when it gets slapped back down. That being said... I apparently barely remembered that scene from ep9, so thanks for the link. It's definitely interesting, given current context

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Well, that was a very short and action-packed 24 minutes, but in the grand scheme of things nothing much happened. Pretty clearly, Everything that Ymir said to Historia was a lie, about "Stealing the power of titans from Bert/Ernie", and the only thing that we learned for sure (ie. that Bert, too, regrets his actions in breaking down the walls and killing hundreds of thousands of people) was already strongly suspected. Erwin says something about "Humanity has no future without Eren" which is fascinating... what does he know/suspect? I was legitimately pissed off when the twist happened, and rather suspect that I'll be more pissed off next week. I don't particularly care about the titan who bit their mom in half... we've seen a bunch of titans bite a bunch of people in half so I just can't get worked up about it any more. Sure, it's a good chance for Hannes to "redeem himself", but I don't really care about him anyway. gently caress these idiots, and jumpcut back to Connie's village please.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Highpoint of the episode was absolutely "I'll wrap it around you as many times as you want". Pure Eren, there. So dopey.

2018 isn't *that* far off- do I want to read the manga in the interim? I think I might, but interacting with all of the other anime-only people for the whole season was a lot of fun and I'm frustrated by some of what we didn't learn, and some of what it seems like we'll never learn (ie. the identity of the smiling titan or whatever it's called).

Also: Is the Beast Titan a coordinator, too? What do Bert and Ernie know about Ymir's past? She just kinda put that "I was a goddess for a while" thing out there and they didn't bat an eye, and what we saw wasn't terribly coherent..

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

HenryEx posted:

I still believe, but she's either going to have to pin Eren to the ground by force, or settle for someone else, because Eren only gets hard for titan murder

"Eren, honey, this hurts my back. Why do we always have to do this on Annie's crystal, and why won't you ever agree to be on the bottom?"

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Raxivace posted:

Well this new season made me want to continue the manga, if that counts. I had read up to Ch 57 before and then fell off, though the new season of the anime renewed my interest (And I forgotten most of everything that happened after season 1 anyways, so this has all been a fun refresher).

That's one reason that I don't want to start the manga. It would simultaneously ruin the S3 experience for me (thread participation, etc), but I'm terrible at reading manga and tend to focus too heavily on the text boxes in comparison to the images (a defensive reflex, I assume, since a lot of the manga I've tried to read, outside of comedy stuff like Love Lab or Seitokai Yakuindomo, has had indecipherable action scenes), so it might not add much to my experience when it eventually rolls around. I can look at the full-page "key images" or whatever they're called, but I'm not really sure how well I'll remember them.

I'll still probably do it, but I'm going to give it a week or two and start over from the beginning just to get a little bit of the "freshness" back.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Saagonsa posted:

Oh, huh, I actually skipped that episode and completely forgot about that line in the manga. That's honestly really weird, since they have literally no reason to believe he has it.

Given that the commands aren't verbal, but rather some sort of ESP thing, my best guess is that they knew instinctively knew there was a coordinate, and followed some sort of draw to make their way to him. Look at the number of times they wound up coincidentally showing up exactly where Eren happened to be (this includes Ymir). The town where he grew up, joining the same military training corps, showing up at the gate at Trost directly in front of Eren, Annie showing up in the same refugee camp as Eren/Mikasa/Armin in episode 2 or whenever it was, etc.

The weird thing, as always, is that Bert and Ernie were child soldiers, which indicates that they had to explain otherwise complex military secrets to 6 year olds. "OK kids, we're going to send you on your way. Just follow your instincts and crash through any walls that happen to be in your way" is as good an explanation as any to explain why Bertholdt, for example, didn't really know what they were doing (In the same episode with Eren and Ymir, Bertholdt said something to those ends and was clearly very conflicted over it).

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Dogwood Fleet posted:

Then there are his titan powers. He was injected with something, probably with something like what Ymir was injected with, but he's not just a titan, he's a titan who can control titan minds. Like Reiner said, he's the worst possible person. I don't think that's coincidence.

This is the part that interests me, because there are two possibilities, the choice of which dramatically changes what came before.
1. Anyone who got shot up with Grisha's special sauce would become the controller. This explains why it was Eren of all people who got the ability... the guy who just happened to be the son of the biochemist (or whatever you want to call him) that rediscovered titan serum.
2. Titan powers are a built-in sort of thing, and the serum is only required for the sake of unlocking the ability to shift. This means that Eren was special even before his powers manifested. If this is predictable, it would, to some degree, explain why Bert and Ernie were infected at such a young age, to capture Eren who had not yet been infected, and why things are happening NOW, after 100 years of a stalemate.

The weakness to theory 2 is something Reiner says in the most recent episode, "Of all the people who possibly could have gotten the Coordinate, it had to have been Eren. He's the worst guy in the world to have it" or something along those lines. That could potentially be resolved through some sort of weird prophecy or titan ability to know everyone else's titan abilities, but neither of those is terribly convincing.

I'm also still curious to know why Mikasa wasn't likewise subjected to Grisha's titan serum, but I can't imagine that that will ever be answered (unless she was and has just been holding back).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Mikasa isn't Grisha's family. If Grisha had a limited amount of serum, or wanted to be very careful with who got that power (especially if that was what gave Eren the Coordinate as well), it makes sense to exclude Mikasa and give it only to Eren. Keep the absolute power in a controlled environment...if Grisha was still around, that is.

That theory doesn't really work for me, for a couple of reasons. 1. In one of the S1 episodes, Grisha gives a speech to Eren with regard to "Be strong for Mikasa's sake" or "Protect your sister" or something along those lines that suggests that he considers Mikasa just as much a part of the family as Eren himself. 2. If he cared about Eren so much, would he really stab him with a needle full of random poo poo he was hoping would do something awesome? He has to either have a decent supply of it, or be able to produce it, solely for the sake of testing its efficacy and dosage before he risks his son's life by shooting poison directly into his bloodstream. You only get one chance to not kill him, better make sure it's going to work.

• Locked thread