Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

So, season two of Attack on Titan came out today and eager to discuss the mind-blowing poo poo I just saw I spoiled myself going into the Attack on Titan thread. This is a place where we can talk spoiler free about AoT.

Rules:

Spoil tag poo poo that hasn't been shown in the anime. If you think you spot some foreshadowing and want to theorycraft as a first time view but please manga readers don't do us dirty.

Legal ways to watch:

Crunchyroll
Hulu

If I need to make this post better and add pictures and a show description or whatever just let me know or someone make a less bad OP.

Arrgytehpirate fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Apr 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I totally forgot my thoughts and questions. Derp.

I really loved the new opening and the animation was sweet. I really liked when the titans in the forest started sprinting. I can't wait to find out the secret of the titan in the wall. I can't wait to find out who the beast titan is. It's interesting to think there may be a city of human-titans out there. Also the ending was horrifying and amazing and I had no idea the episode was over until the credits.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Hargrimm posted:

Shouldn't that rule have a "Don't" at the start?

I meant spoiler tag. Good catch. Thanks for making my OP less bad.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Izzhov posted:

Oh, really? Did you predict a titan loving talking?

I sure as gently caress didn't I figured if Annie or Eren couldn't no titan-shifter could. Is there an official name for them? I mean, I guess Eren is really stupid so it makes sense he couldn't figure out how to talk and maybe Annie just didn't.

Shame we won't find out about the wall. Will we find out about the basement this season?

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I can't wait to see if Eren develops beyond whiny rage monster.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

The questions keep piling up. I didn't know Titans couldn't move at night. Did I miss a reference to that fact in season one?

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Sindai posted:

Yeah they mentioned in season 1 that titans become inert at night, though I don't think it ever became important. Since they don't need to eat presumably they're solar-powered, environmentally friendly murder machines. :science:

I bet Attack on Titan's world doesn't have global warming. Who wants to start a "make titans" petition?

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Ccs posted:

Finally caught up with the manga, and now that I see it has an actual direction instead of just endlessly spinning its wheels while characters fight titans who used to be friends and get horrified by stuff, I'm excited for the series again. Yay!

Also Eren is a lot less shouty and obnoxious in recent chapters, and when he does act pissy, the other characters are like "Yeah, ignore him, he's 15."

Hopefully the anime goes in that direction.

There are other scout titans?!

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I'm also wondering if Connie is going crazy or if his mom was a human-titan? Why didn't they kill that titan that was lying in the house? HOW DID IT GET THERE? WHO IS THE BEAST TITAN? Ahhhhhhhh

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Oh my GOD! I did not see that end coming. Holy poo poo this SHOW IS SO GOOD

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I really hope Attack on Titan turns into Titan Squad.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

SpartanIV posted:

I can't think of another explanation about that language other than it's an ancient one from before the walls. However, there's no way any canned goods are going to last 100 years, so I wonder if someone or some group is smuggling in goods from outside the wall.

Why would anyone do that though?

At this point I'm leaning towards the Beast Titan being an actual person like Ymir and Eren and Annie. Maybe there's a little squad of them and that was one of their bases when they were in human form?

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I think there's at least one more titan in their squad. I could see Reiner but they are giving so many subtle nudges that it's him I think it'll be someone else. Maybe the researcher?

On a larger world view note I'm predicting that everyone who gets eaten by a titan has a chance of becoming a shifter titan. It's a very low number but I'm guessing the beast titan is the leader/a warrior of a small group of shifter titans that have never been in the walls and are just starting up a society.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Blackhair is Berthold right? I could see him being one and maybe Reiner knows since they're from the same village? I hope we find out. I hope Ymir gets the same deal Eren does too. And then the third titan. Humanity needs it's own little titan squad.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

WHAT!?

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I need time to process this episode. That was an amazing episode. Holy gently caress.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Kytrarewn posted:

Anime-only:
Yeah, I loved that.

Of course, the revelation of their "mission" being able to be put on hold if Eren comes with them raises more questions than it answered. How did they know that humanity had someone like Eren from the outset? How did they find the particular training class he entered? Why does it really matter in the grand scheme of things when Eren's not particularly powerful as a titan anyway?

My speculation;

He's gonna end up being a king or some dumb poo poo. His dad was probably part of whatever the human-titan civilization was and ran away. Maybe he was the only one who knew how to make the hybrids or something and Eren is the key to figuring it out.

I loved this episode. I love how calm the reveal was. I loved the animation in the last few minutes. I loved the cliffhanger fight ending. I loved Mikasa trying to murder the poo poo out of them.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

HenryEx posted:

^^

The author is incredibly good at constantly foreshadowing things with the smallest actions that are hilarious with hindsight. There's a couple "oh poo poo, really?" things from season 1 that will only become relevant in like season 3 or 4 at the earliest.

Now that the cat's out of the bag, it should be said that some dude reading the manga successfully called this twist, complete with detailed analysis of why, some time shortly after Eren transformed for the first time, months and years before even the manga reached that point.

Any chance you have it bookmarked?

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I'm thinking like 1% of the population has a gene that let's them become titan-shifters when they get eaten like Eren did. Maybe another percentage of the population turns into mindless titans and the majority just turn into titan poop?

I also haven't had this much fun watching an anime since Mob Psycho 100

Arrgytehpirate fucked around with this message at 20:48 on May 7, 2017

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

SpartanIV posted:

I look forward to discussing season 3 with the other two remaining anime-only viewers :v:

See ya in three years

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

Never Look Up Info For Attack On Titan

Mod please

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I googled something for the wire once and ruined like 3 seasons of plot just from the search results page.

When it's ok to google
- you are 100% caught up on a show with no source material
- you don't care about spoilers

When it's not ok to google
- when you on season two and there's six seasons
- when there is a book/play/???? as source material and the show has not yet passed or deviated from it

Arrgytehpirate fucked around with this message at 06:50 on May 29, 2017

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I know this chick who used to play softball and everyone called her by her last name. She got married. No one calls her anything different. That's how poo poo works.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

The best part of this episode was Eren stub punching Reiner

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

That was really badass. Armin turning into a psychological monster was cool. Erwin is a badass, Mikasa was ruthless as always. I'm kind of annoyed with Historia though. Oh, and titan projectiles were terrifying and hilarious.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Here is a storytelling device that your brain has picked up on by now, but you might not have fully grasped it yet. Becomes something to talk about with the reveal of Reiner and Berthold. Eren, Mikasa, Armin are each an independent aspect of humanity and can't live without one another. Each represent the Soul, Body, Mind. Eren is the spirit. The other two can survive without him but won't have goals or really be alive. Mikasa as the body that protects the spirit and mind. Armin as the very obvious mind who solves problems and philosophizes. The infiltrator trio of Reiner, Berthold, Annie....embody the very same aspects just in a different way. If you look close enough, this motif goes throughout the entire story. The three walls. The three military branches....

I never thought about it like this, but it makes sense. Especially after this episode.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

So are titans Coordinates just rare? The Beast Titan is obviously one, and now Eren.

Also was that his dad on the Beast Titan's shoulders at the end? gently caress the next season needs to hurry up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

What chapter should I start at if I wanted to pick up where the anime just ended?

• Locked thread