Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

So is Ymir dead or sleeping or what?

No, she just lost an arm and a leg, but remember that Eren survived being maimed a few times now, like how his teeth grew back after Levi kicked the poo poo out of him in his court martial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

BrainDance posted:

I want to get into the manga but, as a show watcher, I really don't want to read through a bunch of stuff I already know for the most part. I'm sure there are plenty of reasons not to skip what was generally season 1 in the anime but whatever.

So, could any manga readers and show watchers tell me where in the manga I'd want to start if I wanted to skip season 1?

Oh and my general show theory has sorta already been said, but from pretty early on I got the sense that the titans are sentient and aware beings, probably turned humans, who are not in control when it comes to the eating humans thing. And their existence in being a titan is a absolute horror, and somehow the humans are all only making it worse. I don't know exactly how that would play out, and I guess it's not the case for the yeti dude, but I just think at some point in the story for some reason or another the "mindless" grunt titans will become sympathetic characters instead of just one dimensional straight villains.

I'm not checking and you should wait for a better reply but I want to say like chapter 30. BUT I would HIGHLY recommend you read a few chapters before that, around the leadup to the Female Titan fight in the city. It's been 4 years now so I barely remember any specifics but I remember us being mildly disappointed with how they handled the fight. I think it was partially that they needed to make be slightly more "Epic" since it was the big finale fight they were blowing all their remaining money on animating.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Mordja posted:

Hey, can someone remind me how long ago the Titans first appeared? And when the walls were built too, for that matter.

The titans devoured everyone and the walls were promptly put up ~107 years ago, according to early narration found in chapter 2 of the manga and probably around episode 2 of the anime too. Maybe in one of the information cards or something.

Or, 107 years ago from when they were graduating military school on the eve of the Trost attack, so the initial Colossus Titan attack was 102 years after the walls were made.

Liquid Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 07:09 on May 8, 2017

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Sylphid posted:

One thing I think S2 definitely has over S1 is because this season has fewer episodes, there's a lot less wasted space, I think. There's nothing quite so indulgent as Eren's flashback to the Levi Squad while he was running away from the Female Titan. The closest thing in S2, the Christa / Ymir flashback, only lasted half the episode. I'd be hard-pressed to say which episodes I'd remove from S1 or cut down, but there was fat that could have been trimmed. Seems like it's easier for Production I.G. to work with a shorter season.

I'm still mildly annoyed at the honestly unavoidable change to the end of S1/beginning of S2. They made it so nobody noticed the titan in the wall till a few hours later or something. In the manga they beat Annie and she's just crystalized herself, and they yell up to Miakasa "Hey good work up there! You can come down now!"

But Mikasa's still suspended to the wall and just kind of :stare: and staring right the titan's eye.
It helps sell the seriousness, that even Mikasa is completely loving terrified at this situation which is weird as gently caress and makes no sense but is undoubtably very dire and ominous.

Liquid Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 09:31 on May 14, 2017

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
On the Super Best Friendscast they claim they heard that all the studios were tied up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Are they all realizing it's a terrible job and that a job that relies on crunch time and working overtime is not great in a culture where the default is already working to your physical limit and working overtime?

• Locked thread