Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Who were those characters that were waiting in the house? Don't remember them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
This series could use one punch man

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I just binged through the last four episodes, was completely blindsided by the Bert and Rein reveal, so blindsided that I thought my subs were bad, or that I had skipped an episode by accident. The way they show the reveal, casually, was unexpected and great. I'm glad I got to watch these episodes all at once. One question I had was who was the other person the colossal titan ate at the beginning of the fight? Also, I might need to re-watch season 1, but isn't Annie still on the loose? I thought it might be been Annie he was munching.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Was Christa the character who was a princess or some sort of bastard royalty? Maybe the titans want to install a human leader or maybe Rein has a huge boner for her.

Also, this is my prediction. The guy who is the leader of the scouts along with the drunk old man from last episode are part of some other titan faction whose goal is to become the protectors of the humans. I be the blonde leader Erwin(?) is the monkey titan and he was simply testing out the new recruits when this whole mess with Bert and rein kicked off.

Is it safe for me to Google Reiner and look up his info on a wiki page now that his secret identity is revealed, or is it like people have said where unavoidable Manga spoilers will shoot out of my monitor like a laser light show.

MOVIE MAJICK fucked around with this message at 06:29 on May 29, 2017

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I'm also starting to think everyone is actually a titan, buy I don't know how to work it out completely

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I googled something for the wire once and ruined like 3 seasons of plot just from the search results page.

When it's ok to google
- you are 100% caught up on a show with no source material
- you don't care about spoilers

When it's not ok to google
- when you on season two and there's six seasons
- when there is a book/play/???? as source material and the show has not yet passed or deviated from it

Just curious, what was the wire spoiler?

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Great, can someone tell me how close Christa and Reiner were in season 1 so I don't have to rewatch while still theorizing?

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
So was this flashback Ymir living in a different civilization from the Scouts/Erin people?

MOVIE MAJICK fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jun 5, 2017

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
REINER mentioned that Erin is possibly some 'confluence'. Is this the correct translation of whatever word he actually meant? Seemed wierd.

I thought he also mentioned Coney could be the other one. Are these tribes of titans that Reimer and Bert belong to a splinter from a larger group?

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Can I get a non-spoilery end of season 2 map of where things went down?

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Saagonsa posted:

I did a GIS and found/stole and slightly edited this, and I think it's everything (also triple checked to make sure I didn't leave any spoilers in)

What is Grisha's basement, and where is this underground city a bunch of people are hiding in?

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BO-qoV_-ew

What is everyone's favorite OPs so far? Mine is the S2 one. Also I noticed in the season 1 part 2 OP they sort of hint at Reiner, Bert and Anne being grouped together. I remember when I watched I thought the order was just some random side characters, but now it seems like the grouped them by titan affiliation. There's a part where it shows some face looking on and its those three in order. Then before that Is Ymir and then Historias face, so just based on that I'm thinking Historia is a titan. Plus the facial expressions of hers matches Reimer/Bert/Annes, a sort of sideglance turning away from the horror, and not the frightened expression of the presumably non-titan characters.

MOVIE MAJICK fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jun 19, 2017

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Why do the titans eat people at all?

They are ravenously hungry and seem extremely motivated by this desire but they do not require food to sustain themselves. I'm thinking there's some titan entanglement relationship where the mindless titan is entangled with a mind-possessing human, and that their desire is not to consume the body but the correct mind - the one they are entangles with - to get their consciousness back. That is why the titans resemble humans we see around, they are resembling a specific person, they are blown-up representations that need to find their source in order to become whole again. Working off this shifter theory that you guys are talking about, I've been thinking that perhaps the mindless titans are like Ymir before she at the person that cured her of her mindlessness - whoever the hell her wierdass titan resembles. I'm also thinking the fact that Bert and her dont resemble their human futures is significant, while Anne and Reiner's titan form do. Maybe they are the result of a different titan producing process where their titan form isnt representative of the shifter but some third party.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
What other shows can you guys recommend if I like this one a lot? I haven't watched a lot of animes and I appreciate the thoughtful world building in this one.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
^^^^^thanks!!

Rewatching season 1 and there's a moment where the leader of the military group explains that the sergeant doesn't have to be as hard on some recruits. The camera pans over all the known shifters and Mikasa. The fact that she's also a different ethnicity makes me think she is from shifter land and is also probably a shifter. But I don't think she knows.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Ryuujin posted:

I thought he implied those were the ones who had a look in their eye like they had experienced the horror of titans first hand. And all of those have to one degree or another. While others like Armin didn't actually watch their loved ones get eaten in front of their eyes.

All of those ones would have had a hard look to their eyes.

Well this is also based on some wild speculation that someone in charge of the part of the military training the crew knows who the shifters are and have set up a system that makes humanity poorly prepared for putting up a fight (all the top recruits get military police), or put shifters in the interior.

I refuse to read the Manga so you guys can keep enjoying my borderline schizophrenic ramblings.

Is there significant differences on the associated meanings between the Japanese word for soldier and the word for warrior?

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
One of the reasons I ask is commander Pyxis called himself a warrior and not a soldier in episode 5, and for Reiner that distinction seems to be important to his identity as a shifter. :stare:

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

You make a good recommendation here with Madoka but it's one of the few animes Ive watched. I loved it though for the exact reasons you say, well written and well thought out. I ended up watching despite it looking like garbage at first because a friend begged me to.

The other animes I've watched are legends of galactic heroes and one punch man.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Nevermind, this is my favorite OP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPgRhOYRQFc

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
When season 1 was written did the Manga go past the end of season 2. What I'm wondering if I should even be hypothesizing based on my Rewatching of s1

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

ATP_Power posted:

The changes to the Annie reveal and fight at the end of season one is probably my only major complaint about the show's adaptation. (Eren tossing Mikasa like a fastball at Annie climbing the wall was a much cooler climax to the fight than the cliched 'Eva-01 rage out' we got in the show.)

Explain more ples

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

ATP_Power posted:

In brief:

The shifters are all fascinating characters and I think Annie got the short end of the stick when it came to how she was treated in the show vs in the manga compared to Reiner, Berthold, and Ymir.

One thing I dont understand is why Annie joined the military police if her goal was to capture Eren, being in the scouts would put her closer to him.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I feel like a fool not realizing Reiner was a shifter after watching ep 17 again where he gets purposely caught by Anne

He reveals that he thought Erin was in the flank that got attacked first and after he learns Eren is in the middle and he gets caught by Annie she starts running that way.

MOVIE MAJICK fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jun 21, 2017

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
After watching Levi carve up Annie again I'm sorta hoping we get to see him take on the monkey titan, solo or with a partner like Mikasa or  Erwin (can you operate 3dm with just one arm?)

I like how it's apparent that if Eren didn't listen to Levi at first he could have probably stopped Levi's squad from dying and beat Annie

MOVIE MAJICK fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jun 21, 2017

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Yeah but couldnt you conceivably have two triggers on one hand? I really hope Erwin can continue being out on the front lines

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
If real life was an animes would you guys rather be in this world or one punch man's world?

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Perhaps titans can hear using their skin

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Okay so after refinishing season 1 is it supposed to be obvious that the reason Eren is having trouble transforming is that he is a dark place, and not because of some mental block? Each time he fails its because he is underground and he never fails when there is sunlight. This, along with the scenes with flowers, makes me believe that the titans are foreshadowed to be plants. Lets think about the similarities. Titans need sunlight to grow and be active. Titans and plants both dont need to eat to survive. They are both, mostly, mindless things. You can built walls using them.

I'm also beginning to think that the titan crisis was by design at first to get humanity to stop bickering and unite under a common threat.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

BrainDance posted:

Who would ever pick Attack on Titan's world? It's like the closest to a real hell on Earth that I can remember being in a show for a very long time. Even in anime worlds where people get blown up and poo poo all the time from giant energy explosions or something, at least they've usually got decently normal lives. Everyone's life in Attack on Titan is absolute poo poo because of their circumstances. It'd be complete terror 24/7, and the amount of PTSD the survivors would have...

Well in AoTs world you have at least some idea of what's going on. The threat is well known. Also there's a chance you get to use 3DM gear.

Okay maybe a better question is whether you would want to be a C grade hero, faced with all the dangers this presents, being obligated to face down on cosmic horrors. Or, would you rather be in the scouts with sweet 3dm gear and hanging with captain Levi?

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

ATP_Power posted:

That's true, but I still think that the anime's adaptation undercuts this narrative more than the manga version. In the show, Eren's rage gives him the strength to spook Annie into running, and Mikasa is perfectly positioned to finish her.

Meanwhile in the comic, Eren loses convincingly to Annie and the fight is more about his internal conflict fighting her, and the emotional impact of her reveal, and she is only overcome because of Eren working with his comrades.

I think the theme of individual power being overcome by the power of the many sacrificing and working together is a major theme of the series. The way the anime handled the fight undercut that theme, and was more concerned about the spectacle of meat mecha than the emotional impact of Eren and friends being forced to reckon with the fact that their comrade is a murderer and traitor to everything they believe in.

All things considered it's a minor critique, but because the show has done such a good job generally, it stands out more.

From what you said, it sounds like the manga's theme is the more played out in comic books/action shows - friendship for the win.

I think the anime's version focuses on themes of personhood. Its focused more on the social and ethical dimensions of what it means to be a human, Eren's use of rage and anger in the fight overcomes Annie's cold rationality. Which one is in fact more monstrous? I think there is something to be implied here about the relationship of emotions and one's humanity, that, in a way, calculated killing is the most dehumanizng than Eren's monsterous, emotional form. Annie - supported by her father - becoming the ethical ubermensch, beholden to noone, whose moral 'good' is only a relational property between individuals (" I'm glad I could be good to you Arwin") , is more monsterous and inhuman than the mindless titans or Eren's all-encompassing, generalizing rage. I think the show is trying to develop a conflict along these ideological lines of detached moral reasoning and more involved, first-person perspective on practical reasoning. Their fight can be seen as a conflict between these ideologies of personhood and I think Eren's victory, and the way he comes about this victory, is an endorsement of the latter ideology as being the more naturally human (not necessarily 'good', one thing I appreciate about this show is it steers clear from straightforward good versus evil narratives. I think it's more interested in playing with frameworks than moralizing.)

Speculation based on the S2 opening: I dont think we will literally have t-rex titans and whale titans. I think what is being shown in this scene with the animals is that monkey Titan is representative of a group that's like a force of nature. In the endtro it shows scenes of monkey titan leading titans out of the ocean, coming in like a storm. I think that in this world the titans are some corrective, balancing measure to humanity, the same way diseases and natural disasters are in ours. Maybe monkey titan is a mechanism of natural selection? Speaking which, does anyone know if anyone in the AoT world get sick?

MOVIE MAJICK fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jun 21, 2017

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Ryuujin posted:

The thing is all this training didn't necessarily ready people for actually facing titans.

I still think that some of this training was directed at the titan shifters (hand to hand combat) by shadowy figures in the military :tinfoil:

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Again, I havn't read the manga, just feel like the fight scenes between Annie and Eren, and their internal struggles within these clashes, fit well with the theme of personhood.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

ATP_Power posted:

Yeah, we can all see different themes in a work of fiction. I'm just expanding on what I was trying to get at originally and building off of your frame to do so.

I'd also add that what I'm discussing is purely about what's been shown in the show, even if my reading is colored by knowing what's coming.

Well if there was any difference between us it was that you thought the animes version of events was inconsistent with themes in the show. I was getting at a way to think of it as consistent.

I think what you mention about power - collective VS individual - , and right and wrong, is accurate, but also boring, so I don't have much else to say.

MOVIE MAJICK fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jun 22, 2017

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
So I feel like the reason Reiner revealed himself the way he did to Eren was because seeing monkey panicked him. Which if I'm right, makes me think the monkey is a major antoginist for both shifter people and humies. Reiner was sacred l.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
The basement has hundreds of vats full of Erens.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
What do titans smell like?

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
So I was reading the manga chapter that had to do with the last episode of this season to see if reading the manga was actually an option for me. The writing and/or translation is pretty :downs:. Not many of the pages made sense and I was often confused about what characters were talking about. I think I'm going to stick to the anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Catalina posted:

Hahahahaha, that fan-translated page is hilarious! It's already terrible, but were you reading it left-to-right, too? That would make it even worse, as manga is read right-to-left.

If I recall correctly, the official translation is done by Kodansha Comics. Personally I buy the chapters on Amazon for $1.99 each, but the most inexpensive option is to go to Crunchyroll which has chapters 58 - 94 (latest, June 2017 chapter). The cost is $6.95 a month, and there's a free trial for new members here:
https://www.crunchyroll.com/freetrial

Most of what you can get for "free" is fan translations, and the quality of those is generally you get what you pay for.

Oh poo poo its right-to-left? Well that helps a bit.....

Here's some more banter from the same translation that frightened and confused me.

MOVIE MAJICK fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jun 23, 2017

• Locked thread