Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Basement or no, there's a lot of sequences I'm looking forward to this season, just having the read the manga a decent ways but unable to keep up with for various reasons. I about got the high and low of the plot thus far from Wikipedia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
That scene where Connie apparently hears that Titan talking to him was really creepy and well-done. Definitely my favorite part of a really good episode.

That scene also reminds me of a thing I quite like about AoT characters, is that they seem to learn from experience and make intelligent suppositions. That soldier dude who was thinking to himself was remarking how unusual it would be, that if everyone in the village evacuated, why the Titans would go to the trouble of smashing up the place, I liked a lot. It's like how in S1, when the 57th expedition started and the Female Titan was spotted, Armin reasoned to himself someone must be piloting it, and it must be an existence similar to the Armored and Colossal Titans.

It's something I can really appreciate from the characters, that they are generally able to pick up on things before the audience is explicitly shown something to be true.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
I'm also liking the supporting cast from S1 who had barely any screentime (Christa and Ymir in particular) getting a lot more development, and it's a nice touch of keeping the whole Annie disaster just hours earlier completely separate from the bunch that got stuck at the castle. Connie still thinks her a comrade.

Granted, it's not like they have any way of knowing at the moment, but it's just nice to know a whole world of stuff is going on that the main trio don't really have any involvement in, at least not yet.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
I think my favorite part about the reveal, at least the way the anime did it (I forget exactly how it plays out in the manga), is that Eren's there, hearing this but none of it seems real, like he's in some weird surreal state. But then the flag snaps off and crashes down the wall, and it completely snaps him out of it, making him think "Yes, he actually just said that".

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Mordaedil posted:

We wanted to know this for years now. How do you anime watchers feel knowing that the face of the franchise is loving Bertholt, a guy most of you forgot existed before the new season started and probably never realized did anything in the first season?

Because it gave the rest of us a bit of a headscratcher.

What's to say? It's *always* the quiet ones.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

The best part of this is was managing to render Commie's pretentious translation of "The Eotena Onslaught" even more retarded.

I wish I could have forgotten that dumbass name, but it sticks with you. I'll take the somewhat awkward, but much better "Attack on Titan" any day.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
One thing I think S2 definitely has over S1 is because this season has fewer episodes, there's a lot less wasted space, I think. There's nothing quite so indulgent as Eren's flashback to the Levi Squad while he was running away from the Female Titan. The closest thing in S2, the Christa / Ymir flashback, only lasted half the episode. I'd be hard-pressed to say which episodes I'd remove from S1 or cut down, but there was fat that could have been trimmed. Seems like it's easier for Production I.G. to work with a shorter season.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Man, I was just thinking how little time passes during the events of S2 thus far. The season starts out on the same day as the end of S1, there's the hunt for the hole in Wall Rose, encounter with the Beast Titan, then there's the whole castle arc, then the next morning the reveal of the Armored and Colossal Titans.

It has been quite a 24 hours in the Attack on Titan world. Was it this compressed in the manga?

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
To be fair, Levi has years of experience on Mikasa, at this point. She's only been killing Titans for what, a few months? Levi's been at this for years.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
I dunno, does Christa like one name over another? I like Christa because it's an actual name, and it's cuter.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Philip Rivers posted:

I like the lesbian couple the best thanks

That goes without saying when talking about Christa and / or Ymir.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Oh man, before watching the credits to episode 9, I didn't realize the ED was entirely in English. Somehow it's a lot creepier that way. Good ED.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

HenryEx posted:

You can't really operate 3DMG one-handed, so he's pretty much off the front lines for good from now on. He might stay in command, but he's probably not going to move out on missions anymore. Not much do to for a shifter, away from all the action.
Then again, we don't know what Annie was doing at the MP either, far away from all titans and conflict (or how she managed to slip out of the walls for the scouting mission).

Given how crooked the MPs were established to be, it probably wasn't that hard to slip out.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Finally all caught up with the show again. One thing I'm really liking is how the man behind the Colossal Titan is such a shmuck in reality. You just always really get the feeling from the last few episodes, ever since his reveal, that for a long while now, he has been *way* in over his head, and has never been able to really grasp the enormity of what he's done, or what his plans are. He's been living so many deceptions, even he's not really sure where he stands in all of this. Reiner has been able to keep a somewhat cool head in all of this craziness, but Bertholdt seems to have absolutely no clue where he's going with all of this.

Oh yeah, and this season really has done wonders for fleshing out Christa and Ymir's characters.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
I dunno, I just see Reiner having a clearer idea of why he's doing all of this. Bertholdt just smacks me as a guy who basically has no clue what's actually going on, even if he's privy to all the top-secret plans and such. Or if he does, it's so utterly monstrous that lying to himself is the only way he can keep himself going.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Well, they had a dude in front of them who could turn into a Titan who was not Ymir and not connected with either Bert, Reiner, or Annie. Stands to reason that the person who fulfilled both of those conditions must have gotten it from somewhere, and might be exactly what they're looking for.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Maera Sior posted:

I love that they put them on the opening like they're going to be recurring characters, then they get slaughtered. Seeing them in the opening is a reminder of the cost for having all the awesome gear.

I still hold "Bite" as one of my favorite episodes of the show. Everything's going great for the Levi Squad, then just one by one they get slaughtered, and you're like them, just being unable to process the first death long enough for the next one to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Mordaedil posted:

That is the conclusion that they wanted you to make.

Reiner just cut a message into her hand, right? Even after watching the reveal episode in S2, that's what I always assumed it was.

• Locked thread