Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Well... those sure were some revelations...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I wonder what Mob's explosion rate would be in AoT.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I can't wait to see if Eren develops beyond whiny rage monster.

Maybe, but we'll probably have to wait till he gets to his basement to find out.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Wow, this just keeps getting stranger and stranger.

Also what an ED... that music is just a level up from the Flowers of Evil ED, and there's a lot of strange details in the visuals.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Viridiant posted:

The ED is nightmarish in the best way. The music and imagery combined is just really offputting.

You haven't heard nightmarish until you've seen Aku no Hana https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ok5yDYrO0gc

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
:tviv:

This new season has been an unstoppable train of mid-season-tier reveals.

And man is Sawano pulling out all the stops for this show.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
For me the bigger questions are:

Why are there intelligent titans?
Why are only some intelligent (assuming there are more than just gorilla titan), and is it related to the relative "human-ness" of the titan? (Note that neither Annie or Eren could speak as titans.)
By what mechanism are humans being turned into the low-tier titans?
Who else is the gorilla titan working with?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

maybe we get the answer if they reach the drat basement

Well hey, at least Eren acknowledged it and made it an actual goal.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Surprisingly Dope posted:

The jojo anime thread still gets a lot of posts, idk maybe the jojo fans stuck around this forum while all the AoT normies left.

Jojo has also been running steady for years. AoT s1 came out 4 YEARS AGO. Most of the hype has died off, and its meme status has degraded significantly. There's probably not a lot of people waiting for this show.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

At the time there wasn't really a super good point to stop a full season at. Then they wound up just putting out a half season instead and called it a day, and in this case there's a good place they will definitely stop at barring horrible directing decisions. If they do another season of the same length, there's another point they will likely end at specifically. And then from then on we go straight up to the current stuff and the basement, which would likely be the finale for a fourth full length season or fifth half length season.

The advertising for the new season hasn't been very good either it seems.

It's a shame really since the series has definitely gone places since where the first anime season ended, and even explains pretty common questions such as why (minor spoiler) the enemy human titans didn't just smash the wall itself down and instead just kicked in a gate as well as The Basement, despite being the Fishman Island of AOT, being totally worth the wait and setting up some crazy potential for the future of the series.

Telling us that we don't get there till the hypothetical season 4 is a spoiler you know.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Basically, after finding out that Annie is a titan, the upper management thinks there may be more titans in their rookie class. So they've been de-militarized and watched carefully by armed soldiers. Eren and co are being kept separately since Eren is a major unknown factor and worth studying.

That's where things begin for season 2.

The inciting incident that breaks that new status quo was discovering that there are titans inside of Wall Maria. So now the suspected scouts have to be recruited to help scout and evacuate the endangered villages.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Yorkshire Tea posted:

So there's no breach in the walls and yet there are a shittonne of titans.

Is it unreasonable to think that the titans came from within the walls?

If your working theory isn't "the humans inside the walls turned into titans" by now then you've not been watching the show. The show may not have been explicit about it, but it's been nudging and winking in that direction ever since Sasha got to the village where she saved the little girl.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
drat that was a good episode.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Hommando posted:

Something Eren said in this episode stood out to me, he was celebrating his first titan kill. I never thought about it before but was that really his first titan kill using ODM gear? The poor guy spends years of his life training to fight only to get constantly sidelined.

Yeah that surprised me too, but thinking back on it I think that's right.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Maera Sior posted:

I keep on having late-night thoughts about Attack on Titan, but I can never remember them the next day.

However, here's something that bothers me. Ymir reads the can of herring and the audience and Reiner cannot. What's that exchange of looks? He doesn't know she's a titan, so it's not an "I'm onto you"/"I'm gong to kill you if you tell anyone" exchange. In fact, she seems rather blase about the can when she finds it and tosses it over, so does she not know that other people can't read it? Does she not care if people consider her suspicious? Is she testing Reiner and her glare is the "I find you suspicious" one in the exchange?

I think Reiner was suspicious because she could read a foreign language, and as far as we can tell there's only one language within the walls. Ymir I guess didn't realize it wasn't the common language when she read it. Presumably, for Ymir, her ancesty/people was meant to be a secret, but she unintentionally revealed it. I'm speculating that she might have come from a group of people who are entirely aware of humans' ability to transform into titans and are capable of controlling it to some extent, which explains why they wouldn't want to reveal that.

They were about to argue over it, but HOLY gently caress THERE'S TITANS.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I was one of those on the "Reiner is the Armored Titan" train but with that last episode I don't think that's possible. If he's unaffiliated with the outside-the-walls faction, what motive did he have for smashing the gate in? Then again there's all sorts of factions that have been hinted at but never fully acknowledged. At the very least there are:

1) The inside-the-wall humans, whose perspective we've been watching the show from.

2) The human-like titans that are attacking them.

2.5) The Gorilla Titan's faction, who seem to have a measure of control over faction 2), as well as possibly the ability to make titans out of humans, or at least instigate the transformation somehow. At the very least it's pretty drat clear that the season 2 titans are transformed normal humans from inside the wall.

3) The wall-worshiping humans. We don't know quite what their beef is, but someone high-up in the nation's ranks is in some way involved with them, specifically whoever Christa's family is.

4) Ymir and the presumably outside-the-walls humans who I am guessing are aware of the ability for humans to transform into titans. Eren is perhaps from this group, but unaware of that fact. Eren's dad may be related to them in some way.

4.5) The "original" titans. I mean "original" loosely since I don't quite know what else to call them or what relation they have to the broader story, but I am referring to the titans in the walls. I'm speculating that all of the walls were created by calcified titans, which would mean that these "original" titans sacrificed themselves for the benefit of normal humans. These titans are likely a distinct faction from - or possibly ancestors of - from the titans of today, who are obviously hell-bent on getting inside and eating all the humans.

Note on the gorilla titan: Judging by the ending credits, is is possible that it's not only humans that can transform, but animals as well. The Gorilla Titan is the only intelligent titan we've seen thus far. Even Annie never displayed nearly as much ability as Gorilla Titan, who seems to have at least a regular human's level of intelligence. It may be possible that the less intelligent the regular version is, the more intelligent the titan version is.

Lets see how much of this I'm wrong about by the end of this season.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I'm curious, what's the ratio of anime-only to manga-readers in this thread? Lets have a count, or possibly a pole if someone cane set that up.

I'm anime-only (as ppl probably guessed already)

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

redsniper posted:

Monkey Trouble

Thank you manga thread for this quality naming. That is so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
gently caress yes, I was right about the factions. Here's what we know:
(not gonna bother spoiling since the episode's out and this is all speculation/already shown)

Titan Factions:

1) Annie, Reiner, and Bertholt's village: They come from a village of human-titans. It's not yet clear whether the village as a whole wants humanity dead, but at the very least those three do. Why? Still unclear. I am not certain that the whole village wants humanity dead since it seems clear that Ymir may have come from their village, or at least from a similar one. Going back to the scene with the canned food, my guess is that Reiner can read the label, but was surprised that Ymir could since that would indicate that she is another of his kind. I forget the exact wording and I can't seem to find the scene now but in the Ymir/Christa flashback she talks about how she's an outcast of sorts too, so it may be that she left or was forced out of the village in some way, and Reiner/Bertholdt didn't know about it. This may be related to her eating Reiner/Bertholdt's friend in that flashback. Either way, I believe those four come from the same group.

2) MONKEY TROUBLE and co.: Not much to say here other then they are a distinct faction from the previously mentioned one. Otherwise Reiner and Bertholdt would know what's going on. He' s also a very different type of titan given his ability to speak and by some unknown mechanism control the weaker titans.

3) The Wall Titans: Still no info on these guys except that they're the ones that made the walls. They may be connected to the human wall-worshiper faction.

Human Factions:

1) Bog-standard normal humans

2) Wall-worshiping humans: so their exact faction scope may be much broader than just that but at the very least we know the cult knows about it and they have a connection to the Riess noble family. Likely connected to the wall titans as well.

• Locked thread