Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
The Attack on Titan video game from Koei continues a bit further from where the first season of the anime left off. I had assumed it was all original stuff for the game past that point.

I was really surprised to see Eoten Erectus show up in season two and I was worried that I had "seen" all of season two already. Fortunately, the anime has already diverged from the game by having the characters split up.

Anyway, that was a strong first episode and I'm excited to see where the story goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

I only just realized that Keith, the Training Instructor, is the same guy that was leading the Scout regiment in the first episode of the first season.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Arrgytehpirate posted:

The questions keep piling up. I didn't know Titans couldn't move at night. Did I miss a reference to that fact in season one?

When Hange was describing the experiments she did with Sawney and Bean, one of the experiments was covering them with a sheet. It resulted in them becoming less active and sluggish. Episode 15, I think?

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Recent episode:
If you can read the rune(?) language, you're a titan?

Also, the titan that Ymir turned into looked like the one from Reiner's flashback.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

I think ----Reiner---- might be a spy or a titan.

Speculative Reasons:
When the female titan first appeared, after Armin explained where he thought Eren was in the formation to Reiner, Reiner gets grabbed by the female titan. After Reiner escapes the female titan's grip, she starts to head directly where Armin suggested that Eren might be.

In season two, when Connie thought that the titan spoke to him, Reiner was very quick to dismiss the idea. Later, when Connie brings it up again, Ymir is also quick to shut down the idea. I think Reiner approached Ymir because he started to suspect her of being a titan. Maybe he wanted another ally like with Annie? Perhaps he figures out who the titans are and then uses that as leverage to get them to cooperate with him.

Maera Sior posted:

Here's my speculation as of the end of season 1 (watched less than 2 years ago, I was late to the party). So far everything holds up.

All titans are created from people. Not sure whether it was originally a "science gone wrong" thing, a weapons program, a really strange cult (thanks for the idea, NERV), or something else, but all titan forms are induced in some way starting with a regular person. The titans that don't display intelligence are people who didn't make the transformation properly or got stuck in that form. Maybe they remained in the form for too long and lost their ability to think, maybe the change accidentally lobotomized them. I'm not sure what happened to create the Abnormals, but maybe there was an additional step to the transformation to give them weird abilities.

Based on the end credits, I think it might be a cult. There's a depiction of a skeleton on an altar and some kids have "meat" in their hands. Maybe some good old fashioned heart eating? I also get a Vikings invading Europe vibe. Except replace Vikings with Titans.

EDIT: Spelling

Brutakas fucked around with this message at 16:29 on May 3, 2017

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Freakazoid_ posted:

Reiner must be a hell of an actor then. I'm almost convinced he's not a titan or spy, just given his background as presented to the audience and how consistent he's been as a human.

If not for that first thing I noticed in my original post, I would agree. He has been a good friend to Armin and Eren and now Connie too.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Anime Only but I played the Koei-Tecmo game.

Episode stuff:
I thought for sure that Armin had noticed Reiner's odd behavior during their first encounter with the female titan. With Annie, he noticed right away that she was using Marco's 3DMG during the inspection.

Also, going to speculate that Eren won't be able to win against the armored titan if the colossal titan keeps all his friends busy. It will probably be a rad MMA fight regardless.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Hate-Senpai posted:

It's been a while since I've read up on the rules, but Titan Shifters need to harm themselves to transform, right? External harm doesn't work?

I think they just need to have their blood contact the air along with some kind of extreme motive or impetus. Bert with his slashed neck and Reiner with his missing hand were able to transform following Mikasa's attack.

The part I don't understand is why Ymir didn't start regenerating straight away. Was it because she became unconscious?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

I forget where it was specifically mentioned but the first titan showed up 107 years ago. I think it was also mentioned that Ymir became a titan 90 years ago.

Also, I don't think Eren ate his dad. The first time he fully transformed to plug the hole in the wall he falls into a dreamlike state that seems similar to what Ymir was describing. Eren managed to snap out of it by punching himself in the face and having Armin stab him. If he had eaten his dad to restore his human form then would he still have had "control" issues he exhibited when he transformed that first time? Maybe having to eat another shifter isn't a required part of the process? Maybe there are different processes that have different requirements?

• Locked thread