Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Capn Combustible
May 30, 2013

I'm watching you.

abraxas posted:

I gotta say I find S2 confusing as gently caress so far. It's probably because I haven't rewatched S1 since it aired and haven't looked into basically anything since S1 ended, but I only vaguely recall anything beyond the major plot points.

I have no idea how any of the people we've seen so far ended up where they are at the moment, with the exception of Erens group maybe because that was the big season finale thing. I gotta admit I even have trouble remembering who is who and if I've seen them before or not. Some characters I recognize, some seem to be completely new to me but they're somehow there? It's like they appeared out of thin air or I missed like 5 episodes of poo poo in between seasons.

It all just feels very jumbled and disconnected to me. As I said, most likely a personal problem because the last time I watched or read anything to do with AoT was four years ago, but it's certainly making it harder for me to enjoy S2.

I'm just a viewer rather than a manga reader so my explanation may not be 100% correct but I'll do my best.

The end of season 1 had Erin, Mikasa, and Armin inside the inner wall as they confronted Annie and ended up fighting her in titan form; Jean was sort of there too since he was being a decoy Erin or something, which is why we haven't really seen him in season 2. The day after Annie is captured a messenger arrives informing everyone that the outer wall got breached and Titans are coming in from the South.

We then go back in time 12 Hours to follow the rest of the new Scout Regiment Graduates who were absent from the finale of season 1. At about the same time Erin & Company are capturing the Female Titan the Scout Division, who were being kept on lockdown because of the suspicion there might be spys among their ranks, find out there are titans inside the wall. It's given a really rushed explanation, but basically they're split up into four groups and split up to evacuate nearby villages before the Titans show up and kill everyone. Since then they've caught up and are now in real time so from episode 3 on it seems to be pretty much linear timeline again.

Sasha (Potato Girl, Brown Hair) is guiding a group going North evacuating villages, but aside from the Lone Titan she fends off in episode 2 it seems like that group didn't really run into issues and she ends up returning to the Scout HQ with Erin & Company at the end of the last episode.

Connie (Small Guy, Short Hair) is guiding a group South towards his home village, the directions the titans came from. Reiner (Big Guy, Blond Hair) and Bertholdt (Quiet Guy, Black Hair) are also in the group because Reiner had promised to help Connie sneak to his village and Bertholdt is BFF with Reiner; if I'm remembering season 1 I think they were both survivors from the same Village that got hit by titans three(?) years ago when the Titans first broke through. Their group didn't run into any Titans aside from the one trapped in Connie's house, and then decided to follow the wall to try to find the breach.

Ymir (Black Haired Girl, one who claims to be only out for herself) and Krista (Small Blond Haired Girl) were a part of a group that went west. They apparently Evacuated all the villages in the area without trouble and then headed South to find the breech. They were both in the 1st season, but didn't have much screen time; and when they showed up were always together.

There was apparently a 4th team, which presumably consisted of all the background scout trainees who don't have names or lines. They presumably disappeared into the ether and will come back when new redshirts are needed.

Anyway the groups that ended up searching for the hole in the wall have now met up without finding any breech, and wound up staying in a castle overnight since they needed to rest their horses. They were awoken to a whole horde of Titans showing up and attacking, so things look pretty bleak for Connie, Reiner, Bertholdt, Ymir, and Krista given that they don't have any gear. They have a few soldiers with them (I think the group leaders names are Gerger and Nanaba), but those guys are even more screwed than the rookies since they're going to try to fight off a million titans by themselves.

Meanwhile Erwin, Levi, Erin, Mikasa, Armin, and possibly Sasha and Jean are a part of the main scout force group that are heading to the Castle as well, but it's unclear when they'll get there.

Anyway I hope this helps explain why the characters are where they are. There's obviously still a lot of unanswered questions like why can some of the titans talk, how did all these titans show up if there's no breach in the wall, whats the deal with Krista suddenly being important and Ymir being shady, etc...

Capn Combustible fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Apr 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capn Combustible
May 30, 2013

I'm watching you.
The whole flashback to Titan Ymir eating Reiner and Bertholdt's friend raises a lot of questions.

1) If the dude who got eaten was friends with them wouldn't he also have titan powers? Why didn't he (or Reiner or Bertholdt for that matter) turn into a titan to prevent being eaten? Was this before they got their powers? Is it like the problem Eren was having in season 1 where he couldn't turn into a titan at will?

2) How did they even get from their home to the walls? They had no horses or movement gear in the flashback, so what exactly was their plan for dealing with Titans along the way?

3) Why wasn't Annie with them? Well obviously that would spoil the reveal that Reiner & Bertholdt were titans as well, but it also indicates Annie probably arrived at the city separately. This makes sense since the Female titan wasn't involved in the initial attack and Annie wasn't as close with Reiner or Bertholdt as they were with each other. Kinda makes me wonder why Annie would be sent separately, and whether her mission might have been different than the others.

The other thing I want to talk about is the whole Beast Titan deal.

I remember Reiner and Bertholdt looking terrified when they were in the castle and when they saw the Beast Titan. It could have just been "what's another Titan Shifter doing here?!", but it seemed to me like they recognized it. I think the Beast Titan is from the same home as them and is higher in the totem pole based on their reactions to seeing him.

If my hypothesis is true then the fact the Beast Titan doesn't know about ODM gear confirms that Reiner & Co haven't been able to communicate anything back to their group, and are simply carrying out the mission they were given to destroy humanity; though I don't know why their plan involved waiting three years to destroy the next set of walls after the first attack. If Reiner is telling the truth then Eren's appearance changes things; but Reiner & co have no way of relaying that message, so their group would have no idea why the destruction of the 2nd wall was aborted.

Since they don't know what's going on, they send the Beast Titan in to see what's happening. If the Colossal Titan is the only one who can break the wall, then the Beast Titan's ability to climb it may be their only real option of getting inside. He takes the opportunity to retrieve some ODM gear to bring back with him, but I don't think this was his main goal. I think he wanted to create some havoc to send a message to Reiner & Company. This would explain why Reiner & Bertholdt are suddenly so eager to head home; they need to explain what happened before things escalate further.

I probably didn't need to use a spoiler since I haven't read the manga, but I figured I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Capn Combustible fucked around with this message at 20:02 on May 7, 2017

• Locked thread