Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Sakurazuka posted:

Got to the end of the ep and went 'yeah that sure is Attack on Titan alright'.

:same:

It is getting a little predictable though. The author's hate boner for confident characters doesn't seem to be pointing to anything except as shock value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Izzhov posted:

Oh, really? Did you predict a titan loving talking?

I was expecting that to happen at some point, because I watched OVA episode Ilse's Notebook, where a similar event happened.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
What we weren't told was in exchange, another beloved female character had to die instead.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Despite having more questions than answers, it's starting to feel like titanism has always been a biological weapon. We're just witnessing the fallout of a century old war.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
After watching a clip from last season, I overlooked a small detail that might be relevant to this week's episode.

In episode 23, when Annie is confronted at the mouth of the tunnel, she mentions "I failed to become a warrior."

As we saw in this week's episode, Reiner said to Conny that saving his rear end was "the normal thing to do. Because we're soldiers.", followed a moment later by Bertholdt saying, "No... In the past, Reiner was more of a warrior."

That probably means Bertholdt is a titan.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Endorph posted:

the part of christa im interested in is the part where she makes out with ymir

Not if Reiner has anything to say about it!

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Maera Sior posted:

I keep on having late-night thoughts about Attack on Titan, but I can never remember them the next day.

However, here's something that bothers me. Ymir reads the can of herring and the audience and Reiner cannot. What's that exchange of looks? He doesn't know she's a titan, so it's not an "I'm onto you"/"I'm gong to kill you if you tell anyone" exchange. In fact, she seems rather blase about the can when she finds it and tosses it over, so does she not know that other people can't read it? Does she not care if people consider her suspicious? Is she testing Reiner and her glare is the "I find you suspicious" one in the exchange?

Basing stuff on just facial expressions is risky business in anime, but I'm leaning toward she realized she hosed up the moment she said it was herring and resigned herself to her fate. Not letting him see the can after hearing that was going to be suspicious anyway. The jig was up. If the titans hadn't attacked, she was seriously considering a violent solution.

I'm more interested in this warrior stuff now. It might give us some insight as to what the people beyond the wall have been up to.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Brutakas posted:

I think ----Reiner---- might be a spy or a titan.

Speculative Reasons:
When the female titan first appeared, after Armin explained where he thought Erin was in the formation to Reiner, Reiner gets grabbed by the female titan. After Reiner escapes the female titan's grip, she starts to head directly where Armin suggested that Erin might be.

In season two, when Connie thought that the titan spoke to him, Reiner was very quick to dismiss the idea. Later, when Connie brings it up again, Ymir is also quick to shut down the idea. I think Reiner approached Ymir because he started to suspect her of being a titan. Maybe he wanted another ally like with Annie? Perhaps he figures out who the titans are and then uses that as leverage to get them to cooperate with him.

Reiner must be a hell of an actor then. I'm almost convinced he's not a titan or spy, just given his background as presented to the audience and how consistent he's been as a human.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Well, I called Bertholdt, but I was still on the fence about Reiner. I really didn't want to believe, but the hair don't lie.

This show is amazing, but I'd be driven mad having to look back for anything conceivably contextualized in a different way. There's never going to be a guarantee that something somebody said will stick. Real hints like Annie's detour in season one are more convincing.

Oh and I'm an anime only viewer, if it wasn't obvious.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Nephthys posted:

3. Ymir ate Reiner and Berts friend. This is probably the reason she's a pariah. She may have lost control when in Titan form and stumbled across them without knowing about them and then got banished for it, being exiled to the human world.

A small detail which may or may not support this: The titan in Reiner's flashback is slightly different than what we see of Ymir now. Flashback Ymir had typical titan teeth and looked more emaciated, whereas titan Ymir had sharp teeth and more defined musculature. There's just enough difference here to suspect it was a different (perhaps related) titan, but that doesn't rule out the possibility Ymir spent time as an uncontrolled titan.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
you guys

what's the can of herring doing in the credits?

why does it not look like herring? :ohdear:

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Conspiratiorist posted:

Ymir casually reads it, forgetting nobody else could, and while the reasons for Reiner's shock can be guessed at given recent reveals, what he says is simply point out that she just read a language the people of the walls couldn't.

Which makes Ymir realize she just gave herself up as an outsider or otherwise possessing secret knowledge.

You should look at my previous post, there may be a hint that changes the context of this scene.

Mordaedil posted:

We wanted to know this for years now. How do you anime watchers feel knowing that the face of the franchise is loving Bertholt, a guy most of you forgot existed before the new season started and probably never realized did anything in the first season?

Because it gave the rest of us a bit of a headscratcher.

It made sense to me, I guess? I mean, once we suspected Annie was a titan, it made sense that those two were also undercover. Yeah it's pretty weird to have your main cover baddy not be the main antagonist, but this show makes a good case for it. Someone that huge and powerful needs to be one of THE least suspecting ones.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Tamba posted:

The manga eventually began to use "Shingeki no Kyojin" to refer to Eren as "the Attack/Advancing Titan" (as opposed to the Colossal or the Armored Titan etc). Of course we only found out when it was way to late to change the english title, so we're stuck with that now.

At least that bodes well to where this series is going: Eren shoving his titan foot up every other titan's rear end.

Lovechop posted:

here come the boys

my titan form is a 40k ork

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I wish we got more titan cqc than that, but I liked what I saw.

The moment Armin suggested getting closer to the wall, I knew it would be a bad idea because the colossal titan is right loving there, ready to fall on top of them and whaddayaknow.

Also, Hange getting a girl boner for titan Eren made me laugh.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Sjs00 posted:

So, is there any speculation on the other person the CTitan had grasped besides Ymir? I personally have no fuckin clue

Probably nobody of importance, based on the oversight by the animation team. It's hard to see, but the guy who gets scooped has different hair from the guy who gets tossed into his mouth.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Bread Set Jettison posted:

2) Eren has no arms?!

Missing hands! At least in the preview. I suspect Reiner cut them off, not sure what good that'll do, maybe they're betting nightfall will stop their regeneration? Just long enough to reach their hidden leaf village.

Next week can't some soon enough!!

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Sindai posted:

You can't bite your hand to transform and run away when you've got no hands!

It doesn't look like Bertholdt's hands were cut when Mikasa cut his throat. Also, they left Ymir's left hand on.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Worst episode of the season. All that talk and barely any new info? This whole episode could've been shrunk into maybe 10 minutes tops.

The only redeeming quality have been how whimsical the regular titans have been lately.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Holy moley, titan serum has been a thing since way before eren's dad found out about it! And they're using it as corporal punishment! :stare:

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I've been wondering what the end credits have been alluding to, with titans just springing up from the ground. Based on this week's episode, it's possible a lot of other people were forcibly punished with titanism and a lot of them ended up exactly where she went, so hopeless and depressed they crawled into a hole hoping for death. Or it could be some sort of long-term survival instinct that comes with the titan form. I think this is the first time we've seen a titan look emaciated.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I liked everything that happened in this episode.

Nephthys posted:

Not sure who's supposed to be the Soul, Body or Mind out of Reiner, Bert and Annie.

Or the walls. Maybe the outer wall is the mind? Only the spirit and body are carrying on? Couldn't even guess with the military branches.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I knew it had to be something, but now that Eren can control titans, I feel kinda robbed? Wanted something less tangible and shounen-y, but it does explain the military's intense desire to keep Eren on their side. They either knew, or were betting the house he was more than just a shifter.

And now we have a better idea how they got the walls up so fast. There must've been a titan coordinator involved. Who that was could be anyone, since titanism can be passed on through a serum, but that might not matter as much as it matters now. They obviously lost whoever it was that ordered the titans to remain in formation, or else the priest wouldn't have been so worried about that little incident after Annie's capture. You can order titans to do something, but without constant control, they revert to just being mindless people eaters.

I look forward to next season. Despite a couple bad episodes, this is still a real interesting and exciting show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

One of the reasons I ask is commander Pyxis called himself a warrior and not a soldier in episode 5, and for Reiner that distinction seems to be important to his identity as a shifter. :stare:

:vince:

Back when I saw the first season, I suspected Pyxis was the colossal titan, just because they both have bald heads and something else I had thought of at the time. Interesting that I was wrong, but somehow not far off.

• Locked thread