Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
Two things after rewatching season 1 and being caught up to where the anime is currently-

Part of me wonders if Reiner is making excuses to not invade again. I think he may have gotten attached to his fellow cadets more than he wants to admit. You can see this when he saves Connie and when Bertholdt says that he used to be more of a warrior afterward.

When rewatching season 1, there was a scene where Annie, Reiner, and Bertholdt are standing on a roof after they run out of gas. One of them asks if they should do something and another says "not unless they're fully assembled". We don't see Ymir spend any time with them and she doesn't follow Eren around with them. I don't think they had a clue about her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
As much as I love the look of the show, they might be better off changing studios. I don't even know if they can at this point.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
Is the studio who did Attack on Titan: Junior High free?

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I just caught up and I liked this season a lot. The pacing has been better than season 1 and I enjoyed seeing the more minor characters doing stuff. Also I guess they were right to isolate the 104th corps huh, although I'm not sure I see the point in disarming someone who can transform into a basically indestructible 50 foot monster.

They'd cause a lot more trouble within a city and it's much harder for them to go anywhere without their gear. The scouts would be able to take them down before they caused too much damage, or at least that's the idea.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

BrainDance posted:

So is Ymir probably dead? She can't be since her character just got actual detail. But shes been swallowed for a pretty long time... I know shes still gonna be alive somehow but come on.

I think they are out to capture, not kill. Annie did the same to Eren awhile back.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
Has she announced to anyone other than Hange and Ymir that it's her name?

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Gantolandon posted:

It's not that much more realistic. If it did, Eren would have been incapacitated after his first fight with the Colossal Titan - he was hit with a jet of pressurized steam, after all. Several other characters would have been either dead or maimed after failing their 3D maneuvre and hitting the ground or buildings. It's practically "Saving Private Ryan" compared to some other animes, but there is no point in trying to expect realistic damage model.

Also people are surprisingly good at having long conversations or inner monologues while being seriously maimed.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Rangpur posted:

I don't think the spoiler tags are necessary at this point, now that the season is over. Maybe just stuff in the very last episode?

But as to the first, I don't think it's a stretch at this point to conclude there's more than one city left after all. Ymir spent a while as a Titan, but not so long that that everyone currently alive would forget "oh yeah, we used to execute people by injecting them with titan serum and kicking them off the wall, didn't we; what was up with that?" Not to mention the 'hometown' that Reiner and Beartatoto keep referring to. What the scale and nature of the place is like remains to be seen, but I think we can safely say at least one other city exists.

Regarding the second point, I don't think there is any great secret to transforming from Titan to human--I suspect it just takes a lot of effort and focus. The transformation is also likely to be very traumatic, based on Ymir's flashback, and if you don't know changing back is possible in the first place it's entirely possible you might just give up and let the elements cover you the way she did. Eating that guy isn't what changed her back, but fulfilling that directive (which all Titans possess in some form it seems, because they certainly don't need to eat) somehow aided her in regaining her focus/sanity long enough to revert.

What this says about Titans in general is less clear. I'm currently thinking of them as being something akin to an automated weapons system--big fleshy mecha, essentially. Maybe not every titan has a human inside of it, and they're like drones running on auto-pilot. Alternatively, if you spend long enough fused to a titan's brain stem maybe you just get absorbed and lose your sense of self. Maybe that's what happens to almost everyone, unless you have some unique trait that allows you to maintain control. Think about it: the trio of foreign shifters were evidently supposed to wipe out the remnants of humanity hiding behind the walls. So whoever ordered them to do it just sent 3 dudes over the course of 10 years? Gotta be something keeping them from being mass produced, no?

edit: also this seems like a good time to ask whether the ending credits map to anything later in the series. A simple yes or no will suffice.

Well, the first image is humans making a deal with the devil, so probably.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Why do the titans eat people at all?

They are ravenously hungry and seem extremely motivated by this desire but they do not require food to sustain themselves. I'm thinking there's some titan entanglement relationship where the mindless titan is entangled with a mind-possessing human, and that their desire is not to consume the body but the correct mind - the one they are entangles with - to get their consciousness back. That is why the titans resemble humans we see around, they are resembling a specific person, they are blown-up representations that need to find their source in order to become whole again. Working off this shifter theory that you guys are talking about, I've been thinking that perhaps the mindless titans are like Ymir before she at the person that cured her of her mindlessness - whoever the hell her wierdass titan resembles. I'm also thinking the fact that Bert and her dont resemble their human futures is significant, while Anne and Reiner's titan form do. Maybe they are the result of a different titan producing process where their titan form isnt representative of the shifter but some third party.

It's an interesting thought, but it's hard to say whether Bertato resembles his titan since it doesn't have skin.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Mordaedil posted:

It was actually an anime movie.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
So I'm finally starting to realize just how weird Eren and the circumstances surrounding him are.

First off, there's his temperament. Even as a child, he's a ball of rage that attacks bullies, stabs adults in cold blood, and if he'd physically been able he would have gone after the titans when they invaded the first time. At the beginning of the show he talks about the soldiers being too complacent and humans being cattle and being trapped within the walls. It's like he talks about it the way his parents would talk about it, but from what we saw of Carla I don't think it came from her. It feels like Grisha may have been pushing Eren to at least join the military without saying so.

Then there are his titan powers. He was injected with something, probably with something like what Ymir was injected with, but he's not just a titan, he's a titan who can control titan minds. Like Reiner said, he's the worst possible person. I don't think that's coincidence.

Then there's Grisha. We don't really see him react when Eren says he wants to join the scouts, but promises to show Eren the basement when he gets back. We, the anime viewers don't know what's in the basement other than it's a really big deal. Why would he show angry impulsive child Eren the basement? How long had he been planning on doing that? Their house must be on the outskirts of civilization for a reason- Grisha is a doctor who stopped an epidemic, he could probably have his family in the interior if he felt like it.

I think Eren was groomed for a long time to get the powers that he has and whatever will be found in the basement. I wonder how much Carla knew.

Also after rewatching the first bit of the first episode where the then leader of the scouts breaks down, I've got to wonder just how much of humanity's knowledge of titans comes from Hange specifically.

I'm going to have to switch over to the manga. I want to get to that basement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Kytrarewn posted:

That theory doesn't really work for me, for a couple of reasons. 1. In one of the S1 episodes, Grisha gives a speech to Eren with regard to "Be strong for Mikasa's sake" or "Protect your sister" or something along those lines that suggests that he considers Mikasa just as much a part of the family as Eren himself. 2. If he cared about Eren so much, would he really stab him with a needle full of random poo poo he was hoping would do something awesome? He has to either have a decent supply of it, or be able to produce it, solely for the sake of testing its efficacy and dosage before he risks his son's life by shooting poison directly into his bloodstream. You only get one chance to not kill him, better make sure it's going to work.

Eren would have died several times over without regeneration/turning into a Titan. Injecting him was risky, but he was pretty much facing certain death.

• Locked thread