Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
The tower was a real close call.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

DaveKap posted:

gently caress me I really hope they don't stupidly hiatus ever again.

Well, Wit Studio have Mahou Tsukai no Yome and a second season of Kabaneri lined up, so expect at least a 3, maybe 2 year gap depending on what other projects they decide to take on.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Ymir casually reads it, forgetting nobody else could, and while the reasons for Reiner's shock can be guessed at given recent reveals, what he says is simply point out that she just read a language the people of the walls couldn't.

Which makes Ymir realize she just gave herself up as an outsider or otherwise possessing secret knowledge.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Genocyber posted:

Oh poo poo, really? Or are you just referring to the prequel OVAs? If that manga's actually getting a proper adaptation then I am incredibly excited. To google!

e: I should have known better. Oh well, hopefully the prequel OVAs spark enough interest to result in a proper adaptation.

There is literally a 24 episode adaptation scheduled for October. Feel free to get hype.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Tamba posted:

The manga eventually began to use "Shingeki no Kyojin" to refer to Eren as "the Attack/Advancing Titan" (as opposed to the Colossal or the Armored Titan etc). Of course we only found out when it was way to late to change the english title, so we're stuck with that now.

The best part of this is was managing to render Commie's pretentious translation of "The Eotena Onslaught" even more retarded.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Armin Levi is Misato.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Rod Reiss

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

I just love that Eren's job as a titan is to get beat the gently caress up and only pull out a win if he gets the help and advise of his allies.

His ability saves the day mainly through non-combat applications or plain old using the poor guy as bait. Should've called him the Support Titan.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Eh, I found it cathartic for Eren to be able to display his rage in such a tangible way against Annie, and it makes this fight with Reiner, where he gets a grip and manages to coordinate with his allies despite being in the middle of heated combat, a much more impactful development.

Adding Levi was purely gratuitous though, and it'd have been nice to end with the wall titan reveal as someone else said.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

All the guys present.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Raxivace posted:

About how long is the manga projected to last?

Echoing nobody knows but adding that there needs to be at least 2 or 3 more arcs in order to satisfactorily wrap up the series, so around 3 or 4 more years of chapters.

Izayama could still pull the rug under our feet, but at this point the story is far along enough that the endgame can be deduced in the context of the series themes and plot elements, so it's just a matter of how and how long it takes to get there.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

12 episodes.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Shirobako is a must watch for anyone who wants to understand the animation industry in an entertaining way.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Kytrarewn posted:

Unless it's something REALLY evil and REALLY personal, the grudge against the King and mainstream society wouldn't last 100+ years.

They took all the Asian women with them.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

abraxas posted:

Mikasa is starting to grate on me a bunch I gotta admit. As cool and awesome as it is to see her as a badass titan killer with all her sweet moves and all, she has like no character besides that. Oh Eren this Eren that, at least be a LITTLE bit like a normal, realistic person. I know it's anime and everything but jesus.. I hope there is some deeper motivation behind all this as people were speculating earlier in the thread, otherwise this is just getting a bit ridiculous.

On the day Mikasa's world came crashing down in an extremely traumatic manner, Eren:

1) Saved her life
2) Gave her impetus to fight and keep on living
3) Provided her with comfort after it was all over

She loves him to the point of obsession, but is too socially awkward to make advances of a romantic sort (and it's arguable whether her feelings even have those overtones) plus he sees her as a sister since they grew up together and she was adopted into his family. And she's also very afraid of rejection, so she maintains the status quo and follows him in his bad decisions rather than make a serious effort to put a stop to them - she wants to protect him, but is afraid of trying to chain him down (or has given up on the notion).

That's Mikasa's character: she's a lonely and damaged girl whose entire life revolves around the people she cares about, who after being stepped on by the world a few times comes down to Eren and Armin. She does feel a sense of camaraderie to her fellow trainees, but those are the two that are family to her.

There are moments when her nuances show, but she's fundamentally a character laser-focused on her goals and motivations, so with the life-and-death situation these kids have been enduring over the past couple days of in-story time... I just don't know what else anyone would expect from her but to either act as the stone-cold soldier her companions both fear and admire, or get crushed by the weight of it all when she feels she's failed and her armor cracks :shrug:

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 06:37 on May 22, 2017

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

RealFoxy posted:

At this point is she only second to Levi in terms or strength, agility, and killing power? Or has she already passed him

Distant second to Levi. He got hurt last season so he's not going to see action this one, but there's an OVA with his backstory you can watch where it shows how absurd he can be when he goes all out.

Mikasa is good but Levi just sort of... disassembles the enemy. Can't beat that spin-to-win.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Using 3DMG is no joke, nevermind engaging in high-speed melee combat with it.

The Survey Corps is pretty good about it, and all their members are shown competent with casualties occurring only in extenuating scenarios (caught by surprise or in the open where they can maneuver, abnormals, shifters). It's the Garrison that's only concerned with their members passing basic and didn't put serious drilling effort until after Wall Maria was breached.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I just binged through the last four episodes, was completely blindsided by the Bert and Rein reveal, so blindsided that I thought my subs were bad, or that I had skipped an episode by accident. The way they show the reveal, casually, was unexpected and great. I'm glad I got to watch these episodes all at once. One question I had was who was the other person the colossal titan ate at the beginning of the fight? Also, I might need to re-watch season 1, but isn't Annie still on the loose? I thought it might be been Annie he was munching.

Random soldier; Bert grabbed him for his 3DMG.

At the end of S1 Annie, on the verge of capture, encases herself in crystal (hardened titan tissue). It appears to be a form of stasis, and the substance is so tough their tools don't work to get her out, so for the moment she's confined underground until either she comes out on her own or they find a way to crack it open to interrogate her.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Sjs00 posted:

Any idea as to why Hange is the only one crawling from her injuries? Plot? Also the death flags for Hannes are everywhere man the flags man the flags!

There were several corps members laid down in stretchers. Hange is just so stubborn she's trying to move around despite not even having the lower body strength to stand up after being steam blasted.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Writing feels hamfisted in how literal Ymir is in breaking down and explaining everything.

But then I remember it's Ymir and she's naturally super condescending, and was getting a kick out of explaining Reiner's mental breakdown out loud.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

RealFoxy posted:

I was trying to look something up and accidentally saw manga spoilers and jesus christ, this thing is going to have as many twists and turns as Game of Thrones

Eren is the valonqar.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Clearly, Historia is her deadname and Ymir's an rear end in a top hat.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Kytrarewn posted:

I'm not sure how long they're going to entertain the idea that Christa was actually killed, especially since Ymir was swallowed by Bert's titan form and came out ok on the other side in her own right, which seems kinda silly, but hopefully they'll get past that soon.

Zero time because she literally shows in the next episode preview after the credits.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

"You have something that belongs to me."

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

The goon hateboner for the next arc is unbelievable. Character development is bad writing if it's not on the characters they like.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

You guys should look up the "Ilse's Notebook" OVA.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

The Levi one is good at showing the kind of badass Erwin is, and why Levi is loyal to him and the Survey Corps.

Now is probably a good time to watch them for anyone who hasn't already.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Each mystery leads to the next.

The series opens with the question: What are the titans?

Eren's titan power binds him to that mystery with the question: How did he obtain it?

It leads to the appearance of other shifters: Why are they here? Where do they come from?

The next arc answers two of those questions.

The one that follows answers the other two.

But what is truth and what is shrouded in myth?

And yet, the biggest mystery remains: removed from blissful and comforting ignorance, what is a man to do?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Also Ymir where the gently caress was she that has guns

I know it's been a couple years but

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

To everyone who actually cares about characters and their motivations, I suggest watching the first and a half episodes of the first season before watching the next (and last) episode.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Maera Sior posted:

You're right, and I made the extrapolation back in season 1, but no one inside the walls seems to have made the connection. Considering that we saw Connie's mom, I'm still expecting something bigger to come out.

Don't forget episode 10 where the soldiers sent by Hange to investigate compared the titan with a portrait of Connie's mom.

They haven't had the time to put everything together due to dealing with Eren's kidnapping, but the pieces are all there for the Survey Corps to come to conclusions similar to the audience's.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Captain Invictus posted:

That was actually a later thing, but they yanked it from much further down the line and put it in this season.

Wrong. Hange putting the pieces together is the epilogue to the story arc in the manga, too.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Sylphid posted:

I dunno, I just see Reiner having a clearer idea of why he's doing all of this. Bertholdt just smacks me as a guy who basically has no clue what's actually going on, even if he's privy to all the top-secret plans and such. Or if he does, it's so utterly monstrous that lying to himself is the only way he can keep himself going.

Berthold has got it mostly together despite the guild gnawing at him, but he's got zero initiative. His flaw is he needs direction, which Reiner provides.

Reiner on the other hand is a driven and decisive guy, natural leader material, but the guilt essentially drove him towards DID and the shock of the last couple weeks of in-story time almost caused him to break down, and probably would have without Berthold to help steady him.

Lastly, Annie is the most level-headed of the three and suited to operating alone, but from her sudden outbursts of emotion at times she gives the impression of someone who is just trying really hard to remain aloof by burying all negative feelings deep inside her. The tells are her expressions of shock at times, losing her act and rambling when she realized she had been found out at Stohess, and that the one thing on her mind while desperately trying to make her escape is the desire to return to her family.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Manatee Cannon posted:

just watched the levi backstory ova and lmao at this "living underground makes your legs go bad" thing

it's so pointless and it makes no sense. I don't get why they did that at all

Vitamin D deficiency yo

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Besides the protagonist losing his remaining paternal figure, half of the survey corps dying, and only having a horrifying realization as the one thing to show for their troubles, yeah I guess everything worked out neatly.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

What is Grisha's basement, and where is this underground city a bunch of people are hiding in?

Grisha Yeager is Eren's dad. The basement at the Yaeger's was his study/lab which was off-limits to the rest of the family. Shortly after the fall of Shiganshina, Eren woke up with the key to the basement and a vague nightmare where Grisha desperately told him to get there, and that's the last he ever saw of him. And then Eren turned out to have Titan powers and he told everyone about the basement, so putting two and two together, finding out what's in the basement is a major objective for the Survey Corps.

There's an underground city under Mitras, the capital. It's a slum that poors aren't allowed to leave so as not to disrupt the upstanding citizens topside. Levi comes from there.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Doubleposting because it never ceases to amuse me that Levi, the neat-freak that can't be caught dead without that posh white ascot, is a vicious and foul-mouthed runt from the slums.

You can't tell if he's trying to make up for something or if he just thinks it looks good.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

They suspected it. Reiner confides to Berthold as much while they had Eren and Ymir captive.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Donnerberg posted:

I rewatched certain episodes as reaction vids, and I've noticed a couple of things they don't explain. I haven't read the manga, so I'll just spoiler all of it in case it's actually a thing.

Episode 6. When Mikasa gets pumped up to fight, there's a titan flash.
Episode 7. There's a weird flesh-apple on the ground next to Mikasa when Titan Eren shows up. I think it showed up in other episodes too and is connected to the titan transformation some how. Also, Mikasa does the titan flash again when she decides to fight to keep Erens memory alive.
Episode 17-21. Why did the scouts set up a trap in the forest before they were aware of the Female Titan who they used it on? Were they going to catch some random titans mid-mission to replace the two they lost?
Episode 25. The Female Titan tried to merge with or absorb Titan Eren. Are combined titans going to be a thing? Or did Annie try to get Eren into the flesh gel to crystallize him along with herself?

My theory is that Eren unknowingly used his coordinate skill to power up Mikasa and give her a fighting spirit. He was present both in 6 and 7 when it happened. Not only is it for commanding titans, but it does things to people.

Ep17-21: For the same reason they fed they disseminated false information about where Eren would be located in the formation. Knowing that Titan Shifters are a thing as proved by Eren, and that there were forces hostile to the objective of the Survey Corps embedded in the military (as proven by the destruction of their captured titans), the operation was planned in order to root out potential hostile Shifters in their midst. They didn't know about Annie specifically, but they suspected the existence of her and others like her.
Ep25: This was an anime only thing, but it's very likely she was trying to take him down with her.
Ep6-7: Foreshadowing~

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

What is everyone's favorite OPs so far?

OVA 2

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jun 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

One-Punch Man if you want a mix of amazing action, exceptional comedy, and thought-provoking deconstruction of the superhero/shounen genre.
Mob Psycho 100 if you enjoyed OPM for all the right reasons.
Maria the Virgin Witch for one of the most surprisingly realistic portrayals of the medieval (Hundred Years' War) period you'll find in any medium... besides the fact that the protagonist is a literal witch with magical powers.
Shingeki no Bahamut: Genesis for an excellent, mature, old-style adventure tale in a high fantasy world, with character designs evocative of the 80s.
Parasyte: The Maxim for a well-directed horror thriller about a kid who finds his right arm has been taken over by a shapeshifting monster - which expresses disappointment at having failed to take over his brain.
Re:Zero − Starting Life in Another World for a superbly directed deconstruction of the "hero protagonist transported to a fantasy world" trope/genre mixed in with Groundhog Day, where the well-intentioned protagonist possesses a power with the potential to favorably resolve any situation, yet despite his heroic inclinations finds himself way in over his head, held back by a callous world and his flaws both human and personal.

Since this is Attack on Titan thread, list is in descending order of horror, though only Parasyte and Re:Zero truly belong to the genre, with the former having sci-fi body horror as its premise and going from there, and the latter delving deep into psychological horror to the point it seems like the author derives some sadistic pleasure from seeing the protagonist be crushed.

• Locked thread