Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I am so used to Persona 4 & 5 being so blunt about personas and shadows being the same thing I forgot it was only strongly implied before Metis' info dump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

The Answer pulls in things that were brought up briefly in the main game, and things that SEES never got the proper context for in the first place. For instance, back in Summer vacation, it was explained that the Kirijo group wanted to use Shadow and Persona powers to control time (before they really went crazy). And here that is again!

It feels a lot stronger with later games adding context as well. 4, Q, and 5 pick up concepts explained in this update and run with them.

Magnus Ragnar
Feb 24, 2013

It's times like this I prefer to just burn everything. Works out better than you'd think!

Well, until you burn down the coffee shop anyways. I still haven't heard the end of that...
My biggest question is how in the hell Metis knows that the door to Makoto's room works like that.

Speaking of Makoto, I really like that the boss pulls from the Party's Personas the way it does. Especially because you get the commentary from the character being copied(My favorite line is Junpei's, as he calls the Shadow a copycat). Though I've heard somewhere that there's recorded dialog of SEES reacting to seeing their original Personas copied instead of their ultimates(Hermes, Polyduces, Io, etc) with the implication their Personas regressed entirely to their base forms in the Answer.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Magnus Ragnar posted:

My biggest question is how in the hell Metis knows that the door to Makoto's room works like that.

Speaking of Makoto, I really like that the boss pulls from the Party's Personas the way it does. Especially because you get the commentary from the character being copied(My favorite line is Junpei's, as he calls the Shadow a copycat). Though I've heard somewhere that there's recorded dialog of SEES reacting to seeing their original Personas copied instead of their ultimates(Hermes, Polyduces, Io, etc) with the implication their Personas regressed entirely to their base forms in the Answer.

If so (I only saw clips for Makoto & Aegis calling everyone's personas, probably a debug thing) it might be the shadow was just going to summon the base versions. It'd fit the being unable to let go of the past motif

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

130. Colosseo Purgatorio

This time it IS just a little bit too long to fit in one post, and there's no easy way to break it into two. So while it's a little long, it's also one of the better (known) parts of The Answer, so that helps I think.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Yukari jumping immediately to "ugh we'll never agree i'll just take them by force" before hearing what Aegis, Mitsuru, Metis and I guess Koromaru even want to do is weird. Or, rather, perfectly in character for her, but it comes so suddenly it feels like they just really really wanted to get to the colosseum and needed to get someone to throw the suggestion out asap.

Likewise with Aegis being so indecisive. While Junpei/Koromaru and Ken/Akihiko have different reasons they have the same goal: return to the present. So she needs to be opposed to Yukari so we can have the big fights but she can't agree with the other 4 otherwise it's a majority and we're just going through the motions of strong arming yukari & mitsuru.

I wonder if there was ever a point, when conceptualizing the story, where it was a choice? Like you decide to go to the past, to exit to the present or to use the mall door. First two would be some sort of bad ends (like it just happens again or for the worst for the former or everyone is still bitter and wonders what could have happened for the latter) and then remembering "oh right the third door" would lead to the true end.

also typing this up i literally forgot about fuuka and i think the writers did too since she's basically a non entity in these conversations beyond a quick excuse to why you have a navigator and an even faster line about agreeing with you the most.

and heartful cry is the best, everyone listen to it

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I bet Fuuka also wonders why she's even here.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

This sequence draws on the typical SMT Law/Chaos/Neutral path splits. But unlike the main series faction representatives, SEES has the self-awareness to realize they're going crazy and get back together once everything's over with.

I have a different take on who we're supposed to agree with: the other factions are eliminated in the order of most to least correct, to raise the tension. So the more of Aigis' friends she defeats, the worse things get if she happens to lose. Of course, without Aigis figuring out a workaround none of them would have been able to figure out what they really want to know.

Cutting out the dorm conversations has lost a few things. For example, you've forgotten to mention how Aigis has lost most of her ability to understand Koromaru, and has started to have Metis translate for her. And I was sure that there's been an option to read those papers before now...

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

Having to hurt Koromaru is the worst and saddest thing in the series :(

But yeah, if you've ever discussed this game's characters on the internet you'll find that tons of people despise Yukari because of The Answer and I just don't get it. While I lean more towards the general fear the group has of changing the past, Yukari's viewpoint of wanting to save the life of the person she loves no matter what makes a lot of sense to me and is super relateable. I can't imagine how petty you'd have to be to actually hold that (and her general bad attitude in The Answer) against her.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I had a Persona immune to both ice and wind for the Yukari/Mitsuru fight. It wasn't as helpful as you'd think; they start using Megidolaon if you do that.

Magnus Ragnar
Feb 24, 2013

It's times like this I prefer to just burn everything. Works out better than you'd think!

Well, until you burn down the coffee shop anyways. I still haven't heard the end of that...

SoundwaveAU posted:

But yeah, if you've ever discussed this game's characters on the internet you'll find that tons of people despise Yukari because of The Answer and I just don't get it. While I lean more towards the general fear the group has of changing the past, Yukari's viewpoint of wanting to save the life of the person she loves no matter what makes a lot of sense to me and is super relateable. I can't imagine how petty you'd have to be to actually hold that (and her general bad attitude in The Answer) against her.

Speaking as someone who, at one point, did actually hold everything Yukari did in The Answer against her, you don't want to imagine how petty it is. I still find her extreme abrasiveness in the Answer overall kinda off putting, but I can't fault her for acting that way when her entire brain is half-choked with grief.

rannum posted:

Likewise with Aegis being so indecisive. While Junpei/Koromaru and Ken/Akihiko have different reasons they have the same goal: return to the present. So she needs to be opposed to Yukari so we can have the big fights but she can't agree with the other 4 otherwise it's a majority and we're just going through the motions of strong arming yukari & mitsuru.

Honestly even if the only thing at least half of SEES agreed upon was 'don't gently caress with the past', Yukari is still out voted. It really makes this whole 'fight SEES for the keys' thing just... incredibly dumb. Then again, I don't like the Answer in general so I'll admit there's bias in that statement.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Plus there's the whole "so, uh, what if we lose to Nyx if we go back to the past?" thing which the game glosses over more than it should. Yukari's potentially signing up for everyone on Earth to die so she can see the MC again for a few months. Pretty hosed up, even with her grief taken into account.

And with the player's own knowledge that the MC might be the only one who could have properly defeated Nyx thanks to the social links/wild card/weird bond with Ryoji thing, she'd have to watch the MC die again if they won against Nyx. Horray. :smith:

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Now that we're at this part, I just wanna say that one thing I'm sad we didn't get is Portable's version of The Answer. Not only is Shinjiro still alive, but the rest of SEES are that much closer to the FeMC. Would Aigis still be the one to inherit the Wild Card? Would Shinjiro or Akihiko be the ones to take Yukari's role here? It would have been interesting to see how the writers would handle this part and who would be in what faction.

SoundwaveAU posted:

Having to hurt Koromaru is the worst and saddest thing in the series :(

But yeah, if you've ever discussed this game's characters on the internet you'll find that tons of people despise Yukari because of The Answer and I just don't get it. While I lean more towards the general fear the group has of changing the past, Yukari's viewpoint of wanting to save the life of the person she loves no matter what makes a lot of sense to me and is super relateable.

Yukari trying to save Makoto's life is also a nice little nod to the story of Orpheus and Eurydice, except this time Eurydice doesn't even have a song to try and convince Hades to let Orpheus go. :smith:

SoundwaveAU posted:

I can't imagine how petty you'd have to be to actually hold that (and her general bad attitude in The Answer) against her.

If I'd have to hazard a guess, part of that was probably internet grognards being internet grognards. Like "UGH, how dare HER act out like this, why doesn't SHE just fall in line with what the plot wants, like good waifu Aigis?" :jerkbag:

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

amigolupus posted:

Now that we're at this part, I just wanna say that one thing I'm sad we didn't get is Portable's version of The Answer. Not only is Shinjiro still alive, but the rest of SEES are that much closer to the FeMC. Would Aigis still be the one to inherit the Wild Card? Would Shinjiro or Akihiko be the ones to take Yukari's role here? It would have been interesting to see how the writers would handle this part and who would be in what faction.

See that would be interesting but I bet what they'd actually do is put Shinji back into the hopsital or just otherwise not present and the S Links with the rest of the team wouldn't be acknowledged at all.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

If anything, having them act as antagonists for a little while gives Yukari and Mitsuru a little characterization your party members don't usually get. Although the path to get there is p. dumb.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

StandardVC10 posted:

If anything, having them act as antagonists for a little while gives Yukari and Mitsuru a little characterization your party members don't usually get. Although the path to get there is p. dumb.

Even though Mitsuru agrees with Yukari it kind of feels like she just tags along. It's not as bad as Fuuka, who literally just tags along, but compared with the rest of the party she's kind of passive it feels.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

rannum posted:

Even though Mitsuru agrees with Yukari it kind of feels like she just tags along.

That's actually sort of what I like about Mitsuru being there. It's less about wanting to go back in time, and much more about her personal loyalty to Yukari, which is a pretty sharp contrast to the two of them being SEES' biggest point of friction at the beginning of the Journey.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

StandardVC10 posted:

That's actually sort of what I like about Mitsuru being there. It's less about wanting to go back in time, and much more about her personal loyalty to Yukari, which is a pretty sharp contrast to the two of them being SEES' biggest point of friction at the beginning of the Journey.

i guess to me it feels less like an interesting character interaction building off past experiences and more "we need to give yukari a partner so she can be there too i guess"

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

So, here's something a bit special with a double update because I'm a fuckup and forgot to post one of these way earlier oops:

131 120. 01/31/10 - 03/05/10: Animus and Anima

...until it was asked at the start of The Answer, I genuinely forgot that I hadn't posted it yet. I think it works okay here at least, though it'll be in the right spot in the ToC so it'll look right retroactively. :v:

132. Darkness

But we've also got what lies beyond the final door to deal with, whatever it is...

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

quote:

I made him suffer, and forced him into a corner...
My parents severely blamed me for the incident.
They sent me out as an exchange student and I never knew when I'd be able to return to this country.
My parents must have not wanted to see my face.
Because I was sent far away, to a country where I had no one to rely on, I didn't go to school at all.
A church took me in, and I prayed for his soul every day.
w-what
where did all this come from

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

Even if it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense, I do kind of wish Metis could have appeared in spin-off material. She was the very first 'remake new girl' that Atlus loves doing!

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

rannum posted:

w-what
where did all this come from

Maybe whoever wrote the scenes for Saori realized how boring her link was at the last second and added this? But it does come completely out of the left field.

freshlybaked posted:

Even if it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense, I do kind of wish Metis could have appeared in spin-off material. She was the very first 'remake new girl' that Atlus loves doing!

I like Metis and Psyche's design though it feels like she's more of an exposition machine than a character half the time. I guess that's handwaved that she knows all these things because she's a being from the Other Side.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Tranquility

While this setup here is pretty much the epitome of a swerve "and it was all a dream!", mercifully that's not the case here.

I mean, c'mon, we just beat Erebus not Morpheus.

When... did we fall asleep...?
Huh? What? ...Wait, is this!?
Arf arf!

Weren't we...
Weren't we gathered around the entrance, talking about some kinda key...?

The outside world is back to normal. We can leave anytime.
So... The Abyss of Time has disappered.
The date... it's April 1st!
Soooo... that means we're saved, right!?
Woooooo-hoooo! 'Bout drat time!

Silence

C'mon, Aigis.
Wait a second...

And while we were there, Aigis-san...
H-Hey, Aigis! How long are you gonna lie there!? Wake up!
Aigis!
Mitsuru-senpai...
It's too early to reach any conclusions.

Troubled

How's it look, Fuuka?
Don't worry. I've used this system a number of times before...
The equipment should be set up already, so...
*sigh* If only it wasn't so late at night...

Well, I've almost got the bio-scan unit online...

Odd minor thing, but the script I'm using says this line is said by Akihiko with Mitsuru doing the voice acting. The game I'm using says its all Mitsuru. :shrug:

Yes! Her vital signs are up on screen! Let's see...
No... This is awful...
Did you find something?
Her synaptic circuits... they're completely burned out...

It's probably related to her new ability to use multiple Personas...
Burned out...? But... they can fix her, right?
It's easy to replace the faulty parts, but...

No...
Aigis...

Silence

Aigis!
Um... Has something happened?
Geez! You had us worried sick, sleepyhead!
You took so long to wake up, we thought you might have died...
But how could this be...?

It's a little obvious, but having accepted the humanity that she threw away and fully embraced it pretty much made Pinocchio Aigis into a real girl. It's a bit of an over-simplification, but that's basically what it boils down to.

Oh, I'm so sorry to have worried you all.

Memories of time I spent with everyone... and...

Oh, it's nothing.
Sorrowful partings only show us the weight of our relationships...
But the joy of living comes from those who care about you.
I'm... a very lucky person.
Aigis...
We were so close to each other... We suffered over the same things...

I guess we're more like each other than we thought.
Whewwww... Well, looks like it all came out okay!
Man... I was pretty freaked out there for a while, but I think we've got out happy ending.
Yeah, looks that way. *sigh* ...I'm bushed.

Oh... Junpei-kun!
Very well... Let's go back to our rooms and rest until morning.
If there's anything left to do--
Actually... there is one thing I'd like to announce.

Our ordeal has given me a lot of food for thought.
My own way of running away may have been to try and collect these and put them away... forever.
But even if there are no Shadows left, the battle against ourselves is ongoing.

Until the day when everyone can change...
...Right?

Brand New Days
covers the rest of the update so its better to just watch this if you can

Tranquility

Let's see... I already shipped my large luggage... Did I forget anything...?
That was my contact. The car they sent for us will arrive shortly.
What, are you taking everyone else along for the ride, too?
Their new dorms are on the way to the lab. It'll be a quick stop.

Where on earth is Junpei...? I told him not to be late--
Waaaaaaaaah!
Junpei-kun!?
Ah, let him be. He's probably trying to carry everything at once...
The same thing happened last year.
Oh... But... That sounded like it really hurt...

Owww... My face... I hope no one saw that.
*chuckle* Are you all right? Geez... What a way to end this.

A car can be heard pulling up outside.

Ah... There's our ride.
Well then, shall we be off?

I... actually have a favor to ask...
What is it?
I know... it might not be possible because it's so sudden...

Before, I thought... there was nothing left for me to protect. No reason to live.
But now that I see otherwise...

Aigis...
I want to continue to experience new things with you all!
...Is it too late...?
Hmmm... Even if I wanted to place you back in, I'm no longer involved with Gekkoukan High...

Thank you.
Senpai!

...The transfer to the lab has been cancelled.
Then... Senpai...!
Now that's more like it!

Silence

Thank you so much!
It's an honor to be able to stay with you all!

Yes... But change is part of life.
Hey, Aigis... If you're gonna live in the dorms...
You wanna be my roommate?

Huh?

It's a peculiar way to segue into the ending anime cutscene, but it's a nice way to bookend things in a way.

I mean you need one, right?
But hey, no need to be so formal.

We are friends, aren't we?

Yeah, you're right!

Brand New Days
hey its the kimi no kioku of the answer should probably give it a listen (spoilers: its good)

Much like with The Journey, we get to see snippets from the animated cutscenes interspaced with silhouettes of folks and their Ultimate Personae.

...Aigis still gets Athena though, which is technically correct even though she doesn't appear in The Answer past the fight against Metis. There's another reason for this, though.

Sunlight, the ray of morning that woke me up
Shines again (all over my sights) - on this world
While holding the collapsed promise all alone by myself,
I'm chasing over (it's over my blind) - the yesterday in eyelid

Stay high, I've forgotten
This clear blue sky
Surely given by you,
The shining true feeling

Someday, if the strength of our held hands are scarred
I won't let it go, dear friends,
We'll be like this, always

I wonder how many days strayed 'cause we looked up at the same moon?
Have you getting past (we've told you so long) the same goodbye?

I knew it; surely, the pain was inflicted by the jewel
As I count (you told me what's wrong) -- those lost lights

Stay high, if you notice it,
Hey, there's a dazzling blue sky on the window
Surely, tomorrow's door
still green, will open

Someday, if the passage of time changes everything
Then I won't lost it
It's "you"
I'll lead the Brand New Days

Sunlight, the ray of morning that woke me up
Then starts to shine (it's all up to you) - on this world

There are days when I was tired to call "the meaning of living", and then I was cowering
Even so, it's still in my heart (so look up to you) - your smile

Stay high, I've forgotten
This clear blue sky
Surely given by you,
The shining true feeling

Since I've been awake from the dream,
I will meet a new tomorrow
That certainly believes in
Your faith
Always, everytime

Stay high, if you notice it,
Hey, there's a dazzling blue sky on the window
Surely, tomorrow's door
Always green, opens

New days, where you can hear the spring's wind among the graduation
On the true days from today
Where I meet you, towards tomorrow
I'll lead the Brand New Days

The new miracle will start from here
At the shining place, right?
Once more, with you...

Thanks for reading. It's been a long journey, but we made it in the end.

But now, you must be tired. Please, rest easy. Until we meet again... farewell.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Jan 3, 2019

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

Oh wow, it doesn't feel like it's the end. It just caught up on me out of nowhere.

Really great LP as always, and hard to believe how much time has passed since you first started The Journey and P3P. I thought the Answer was really nice near the end, starting with the tournament arc up until it concluded, even if everything before that point was rocky.

And I totally forgot about the detail at the end where Yukari and Aigis went to become roommates for the remainder of school. Where are the fanworks featuring dorm hijinks between the popular girl and her robot friend?

eternaldough fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Oct 26, 2018

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Dragonatrix posted:

Yeah, looks that way. *sight* ...I'm bushed.

Dragonatrix posted:

That was my contact. The care they sent for us will arrive shortly.

Dragonatrix posted:

Their new dorms are on the way to the lap. It'll be a quick stop.

Dragonatrix posted:

It's an honor to be able to say with you all!

Looks like some autocorrect errors crept in.

Anyways, thanks for the LP. I'd played through The Journey, but despite owning FES I never got around to The Answer (part of the reason for which was having heard that it was significantly less fun than The Journey), so everything past the first set of end credits was new to me. And of course my run of The Journey wasn't a 100% run, nor did it include anything from the Portable side.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Commander Keene posted:

Looks like some autocorrect errors crept in.

:negative: Always at least one, and here I thought I'd gotten good at pulling those out.

Definitely fixed now, though.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
I wasn't a big fan of The Answer, but honestly, I only played it for some of the kick-rear end tunes it had.

Thanks for taking us through this Dragonatrix!

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I am impressed that you managed to fit all the P3 content into a single lp.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

A really great LP! Congrats on making it through so much content.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Gripes about pacing & such (there really should've been more dialog between dungeon runs, across the entire cast) aside, I do like the last chunk of Answer's plot. It feels like a nice good bye, especially with everyone leaving the dorm together and the bright sunny day.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

It's always nice to see you bend these games over your knee. The entire duration of this title I was expecting you to say that enemy design in the answer is bad not because it is annoying but because it is too easy, I'm glad that I've finally found the one SMT title where you don't totally emasculate me. :v:

GimmickMan fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Oct 26, 2018

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

The Answer is cute. I don't think it really adds anything crazy to the game narrative-wise, but it is cool to see the characters get fleshed out, and it's still a nice bonus for FES. Plus Aegis and Yukari make a nice pair. If they revisit P3, I hope they go somewhere with roommate hijinks.

All the new songs are absolute heat though. Darkness has such a nice sprinkle of DDS in how it sounds, and the tempo changing aspect of it is surprisingly dynamic for a JRPG battle theme

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
If nothing else, at least The Answer is directly relevant to P4A.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

While I finish editing some older stuff (adding PSP portraits that I missed, fixing older Portable update screenshots etc.), I think it's time for a bit of a gear shift, y'know? It's certainly not SMT related (sorry), though it does have a whole lotta lower-case charm.

...Plus it's shorter than this was for good measure. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oublietteer
Jul 30, 2018

Is that you, Edea Lee?
I feel bad necroposting, but I only just realized you finished this.

You did a great job! I had only played Portable, and was rather curious about the Answer. Persona 3 has my personal favorite atmosphere of 3-5 (haven’t played 1 and 2 yet), and the Answer, overall, enhanced my like for it. Thanks for taking the time to do this!