Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Man, the anime movies make me upset that we got silent protags because there's an actual personality being displayed in them that we never get to see elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Shooting yourself in the head repeatedly is an, uh, interesting way of getting your Stand to hit things.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Dragonatrix posted:

I don't know why Ikutsuki is expositing to people who should already know this. There's a better spot for this to happen later if they really need to explain it.
I'll agree that a scene later would have been better for the exposition, but he might have been "reminding" Yukari who, judging from the opening cutscene, hasn't been a member of SEES for long at that point; maybe only a couple of days longer than Makoto.

"Dragonatrix posted:

Not gonna ask questions about this. Mercifully, it's even automatically equipped.
IIRC, in Persona 3 Portable, she gives you a much more sensible knife. You know, something a high-school girl might actually be carrying around.

GeneX posted:

This game is pretty good, though I'll say that I like pretty much everything about Persona 4 better.

Anyway, your first video link (to "Burn My Dread") doesn't work. It's a link to the editing page.
I am in (almost) complete agreement here. It might have something to do with the fact that I played Golden, though, because there are one or two mechanics in vanilla P4 that don't sound particularly appealing to me.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Hell yeah. Orpheus's Awakening may be my third favorite in the series (the top two are from Persona 5).

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

There's a big reason why I love Ikutski in the game, but it won't come into play for a long time. It's a great reason as to why he's secretly The Best Character though.

It's funny seeing all the small stuff I've forgotten: I'm sure I must've seen the clock shattering to signify the Dark Hour literally hundreds of times, but I really don't remember it at all. And the control room that gets used all of, what, four? Five times in the game (unless FES adds more, which I vaguely think it does)?

MythosDragon posted:

Man, the anime movies make me upset that we got silent protags because there's an actual personality being displayed in them that we never get to see elsewhere.

P5 is interesting, because it's made obvious that your character has an established personality. He's not exactly a blank slate, since he has an internal monologue that plays out at times. It's actually refreshing after these two games.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
We have not yet met the best character

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
what are you talking about, yukari is right there

That's not even really a joke, I really like how Yukari is like, a little bit distant and a touch confrontational, taking a while to warm to you. She's a much more realistic high school girl than I would've expected. It's a tad lame, but I do like that it takes a whiiiiile for you to be able to start a social link with her whereas if you play as a girl in P3P, you get it way way earlier.

Persona 3 was my intro to whole SMT series, and even though it was my first, it might actually be the Persona game I'm least into. (I like Persona 1 and 2 a lot cause im a weirdo), though it's definitely the foggiest in my brain and have a good bit of nostalgia for it. I should probably really dig into P3P for once, but man there are still so many SMT games I need to play

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

It's funny seeing all the small stuff I've forgotten: I'm sure I must've seen the clock shattering to signify the Dark Hour literally hundreds of times, but I really don't remember it at all. And the control room that gets used all of, what, four? Five times in the game (unless FES adds more, which I vaguely think it does)?

FES adds some extra scenes you can access by visiting the control room at certain times throughout the game. Some of them are pretty funny.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Oh neat, someone's LPing this again. I didn't really care for the version in the archive, no offense to the previous LPer.

Not really too familiar with P3 beyond the first two movies and whatever came up in Persona Q, so it'll be neat to see where this goes.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Since this is kind of a bonus update, I guess, but also kind of not, let's have it a little early.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

What if...

Soul Phrase

Soul Phrase

What if one thing were to change? Just one detail... what would that affect?

End

What if we found a way to play on a difficulty higher than Hard?

Well, we'd lose the ability to watch animated cutscenes for a start. That's kind of disappointing, but understandable really.

Yuri Lowenthal would be (mostly) gone and instead replaced with Laura Bailey.

I am completely okay with that happening.

The contract would include a clause that may or may not have been there before. It's only spelt out this time.

The only available "official" name would be from The Weird Masquerade stage play.

...Lady Protagonist gets immediately ignored by Atlus for some bizarre reason and it's the worst decision ever.

At least we can "navigate" our room. The PSP isn't exactly the most potent machine so we don't get to actually move around beyond a floating cursor.

Getting to actually check out everything in our room is red herring though. We can use the bed, the calendar and technically the mirror. We'll see what's in here for real in the future.

But there is unique content in here and so...

Time

This is my favorite part... when it feels like you're gliding over the sea.
Our stop is Port Island Station at the end of the line. From there, we walk.

Oh, look, you can see it now!

Welcome to Gekkoukan High! You're gonna love it here!

Well, I'll be the judge of that thanks.

So, the whole no actual movement thing applies across the board. It might be disappointing but it's an improvement in some respects.

Plus we have quick travel here. That helps a bunch later on, for sure.

There's a couple new things at the school to check out, so let's do just that.

Well, she sure wasn't here before.

Eh, whatever.

There's even something new in the store, huh? It's not really anything exciting right now but it's something alright.

...Oh hey, she's new as well!

But I was just in one down the hall...
...Was that just another classroom?

The random gossip this time isn't some kid asking you if Yukari has a girlfriend. Rather, it's a couple folks talking about you.

And, of course, for clear and obvious reasons Junpei's scene is fairly different now too.

Who are you?
Me?

I transferred here when I was in 8th grade.
I know how tough it is bein' the new kid...
So I thought I'd check up on you, make sure you weren't freaking out on your first day.

Did you ever think you might be bothering someone?
What? But I was just bein' friendly.
If you say so.
Anyway, some coincidence that we'd be in the same homeroom, huh?
I'm glad to have a friend.
A friend? Oh... you mean me.
Yeah, I... I'm glad we ended up in the same class, too.
Um, hello? Did you forget I'm in this class too? C'mon, lemme in on the fun!
By the way, do you guys know each other? I heard you two came to school together this morning.

Ugh... Could you just cut it out? I hate dealing with rumors like that.
I mean, I'm used to it, but she just got here, you know? Don't you feel bad, spreading rumors like that?
...Well, I've gotta go take care of some archery team stuff. Don't try anything funny, you got that, Junpei?

Well, just to clear something up, I seriously didn't come over here to hit on you or anything.
If you ever have a problem, you can tell your ol' pal Junpei about it!
I'll remember that.
Heh, cool. Well, I'll be seeing you around, then.

This being here is so weird and pointless. It's too early to be meaningful.

Girls can join too, so why not do it if you're interested?
You'd be joining as a new member, though, so you won't be able to apply for a little while.

> You made small talk with Junpei while walking back...

A lot of scenes are identical, save for pronoun changes. That's why I'm glossing over so much here.

This guy's hanging out in the alley alone now, for system limitation reasons.

...Though this kind of takes a lot of the sting out of this scene.

The Poem For Everyone's Soul

But I'll make sure you two are properly introduced. Another time, perhaps.

There's no Elizabeth in the Velvet Room here, this time around. Just Igor and no one else...

Time

In times like these, it's best to sleep during class!
You ever notice how sometimes taking a nap in class makes you feel more refreshed than sleeping at home?
Don't sleep in class.
Whaaat? Why do you have to be all serious?
That feeling of being completely recharged is awesome... But I'm screwed later since I didn't hear the lecture!
Oh, but we have classic literature today... That means we're stuck with Mr. Nasty ol' Ekoda...

And we do, and you knew that already. The question in Portable is the same as in FES.

A Way of Life

Y'know, this is different. Makoto hasn't been here yet.

A lot of Gekkoukan students come here after school.
There's a karaoke box and a CD shop. Oh, and a really great cafe, too!
There's also a nightclub, but that's kinda not for us yet.

> The Paulownia Mall is crowded with students on their way back from school...

Iwatodai Dorm

It might be nice to read a book by moonlight once in a while.

Unusually, Kotone gets to actually hang out at the dorm on the 9th. How strange.

Gonna definitely take advantage of that, though!

Their main purpose is to send the school reports about daily life here in the dorm.

It'd be great to have somebody like that doing stuff for us, don't you think?
You're right.
I mean, I'm not a good cook, and Mitsuru-senpai just doesn't do things like that...
You know, if you're handy around the kitchen, I bet you could really do something with this place!

Today's TV segment is one of the times the game sort of decides to acknowledge that Persona 1 and 2 exist!

Trish herself is a fairy who is absurdly greedy and totally has a money fetish who was in Persona 1 as well as both Innocent Sin and Eternal Punishment who runs the healing springs and associated junk. Here, she runs a talkshow.

Today's subject is a very dependable-looking 20-year-old woman.

...Next is news. Pain, pain, go away!

Her guest today is Yukino Mayuzumi who was a playable character in Persona 1('s opening sections and the Snow Queen route) and in Innocent Sin. She was originally a tomboy criminal, basically, before a teacher at St. Hermelin helped her out. In Persona 2 she turns up as a photographer who assists Maya, the deuteragonist of Innocent Sin and protagonist of Eternal Punishment. Yukino's main Arcana was the Empress and her default Persona in both games was the Roman Goddess, Vesta. She IS in Eternal Punishment but just as a (really cool) NPC.

Skipping ahead now to the middle of the Dark Hour, rather than hand us a sword this time, Yukari gives us a naginata.

Out of all the things to include actual animation of as part of a scene, they went with Arcana Magician climbing up onto the ceiling.

Yukari gets to try and do something cool here, and there is a way that this is done as a cutscene as well...

I. Arcana Magician

Just make it run through the combat engine instead. That works.

Master of Shadow

Here goes...
*pant*

This time around, Yukari doesn't even get to come close to doing anything.

Rather than dick around with melee attacks, Magician just chucks a fireball and sends Yukari flying. Welp.

Still leaves the gun lying at Kotone's feet at least.

Per... so...

...na.

I have one (real) complaint about this...

And it's not really related to this not looking as cool.

Though it doesn't, even if the Magician still gets obliterated with no input on our part.

End

And it's right here. This was the perfect opportunity to go for something interesting and different, but instead just "Orpheus but he's got longer hair and is wearing gold"? I understand the logic behind it, sure, but it's really just kinda dull. It also sort of doesn't work because there aren't really all that many folks with cross-gender Persona to begin with, because it has Implications (Wild Card stuff is inherently... different).

But, whatever. That's just my own personal complaint and not one that I see get floated much ever. Let's beat up some Cowardly Maya again!

I. The Magician ~ Cowardly Maya (Portable)

Wiping All Out

The actual fight itself is unchanged, really.

Still only have Bash as our sole skill...

Still a very comfortable one-shot, doing roughly the same amount of damage as it did on Hard in FES for that matter.

Even take basically the same amount from its attacks too.

I'm beginning to question if Maniac is in fact harder than Hard, or if it's just FES hard with more easier difficulties added. That's really kinda disappointing.

After The Battle

But maybe not quite as disappointing as this.

Portable is just straight up easier in general compared to earlier versions of the game. Even discounting secret not-secret difficulty level shenanigans, it gives more EXP from the word go for some reason too. And, yes, this IS on Maniac. Why would you doubt me?

Add to that a new mechanic designed to make things more streamlined, convenient and easy and we have a bad sign for difficulty down the road in this alternative Journey.

But I think for now we should return to the Main timeline and follow it along until we reach our next real divergence...

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Apr 25, 2018

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

P5 is interesting, because it's made obvious that your character has an established personality. He's not exactly a blank slate, since he has an internal monologue that plays out at times. It's actually refreshing after these two games.

Ahhhhh, That sounds amazing, but I'm trying to not immediately start since I love playing dress up and theyre going to take months to release the free DLC that I actually want to play dressup with. Since it seems you played already, is it true you get to name the protag and the team?

Update comments Edit: I know little of Persona 1 and 2 beyond the character art, and wow Yukino Mayuzumi actually looks better in 2, everyone else I saw cut their hair or something ridiculously short and its just plain bad, but nice improvement here.

I-I didnt actually know that there were different characters in the girl route, and they look good too. I've always wanted to do a female run through but I've never actually beaten the game with the dude due to the eternal RPG curse of getting through 90% to just play a different game.

MythosDragon fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Apr 4, 2017

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Looked like a genderbent Orpheus to me.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Dragonatrix posted:

I'm beginning to question if Maniac is in fact harder than Hard, or if it's just FES hard with more easier difficulties added. That's really kinda disappointing.
From what I've heard, Maniac difficulty largely affects enemy AI and shop/Compendium costs, rather than being the usual MegaTen damage/defense multiplier.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
The female characters added in the Female route are so cute and good, girl is easily the better path

MythosDragon posted:

Ahhhhh, That sounds amazing, but I'm trying to not immediately start since I love playing dress up and theyre going to take months to release the free DLC that I actually want to play dressup with. Since it seems you played already, is it true you get to name the protag and the team
You can name the protagonist, but no, your party members have their name and your group is always called The Phantom Thieves Of Hearts

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I don't really like the female protagonist's version as much with one exception

that exception is The Best Character

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

Dragonatrix posted:

I have one (real) complaint about this...

And it's not really related to this not looking as cool.

And it's right here. This was the perfect opportunity to go for Eurydice, but instead just "Orpheus but he's got longer hair and is wearing gold". Booooooring!

Kotone may be a girl, but her role in the story, what she represents, is still the same. That's why her persona is still Orpheus.

e: And on Maniac difficulty, as the thing says, you don't get to carry anything over from your previous playthroughs. That's a pretty non-trivial change, not having access to your previous runs' compendium and social stats.

Montegoraon fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Apr 4, 2017

lightace
Jul 13, 2016

Moltrey posted:

what are you talking about, yukari is right there

:hfive:

Yukari is one of those characters that's grown on me over multiple playthroughs until she's one of my all-time favorites. Partly because of how she treats the MC differently depending on their gender and partly because spoilers.

Mitsuru is easily my second favorite though :3:

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Moltrey posted:

The female characters added in the Female route are so cute and good, girl is easily the better path

You can name the protagonist, but no, your party members have their name and your group is always called The Phantom Thieves Of Hearts

drat, Someone told me I could name the team. Now I have to decide between using a semicanon name or using my go to game name that is in no way whatsoever actually a name.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

The female MC's Persona would not work as Eurydice. The starting and ultimate personas of each character are based on the characters' role in the story or their personality. Eurydice was a love interest that died so that Orpheus would go down to Hades to try to save her. As you can see with her battle theme:

she is not a princess to be saved. Orpheus is still her starting persona because he similar to her role in the story.

As for the difference in design for the female MC's Orpheus, the designs of the personas are based on the person summoning them, not the mythological character. So two different people summoning the same persona would have different designs for the persona.

Also, as soon as I saw the OP mentioning you were covering "two of these things", I knew that you would be doing the P3P female option, on the highest difficulty level.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

DDS, then SJ with every ending and now a side-to-side playthrough of P3FES and P3P? Jesus, man :stare:

Montegoraon posted:

e: And on Maniac difficulty, as the thing says, you don't get to carry anything over from your previous playthroughs. That's a pretty non-trivial change, not having access to your previous runs' compendium and social stats.

Meh, carryovers make NG+ so easy it's boring, I dunno about P3P but FES kept your MC current level and doesn't give you a choice not to.
It's the main reason I've never tried to take on the NG+ extra boss.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

This LP just got twice as good. Cause it's two games now. Ahem.

Why do they just have swords and naginatas lying around to give our protagonist anyhow?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Wait, are you playing The Journey, The Answer AND Portable? :psyduck:

freshlybaked posted:

Why do they just have swords and naginatas lying around to give our protagonist anyhow?

Anime logic

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!

freshlybaked posted:

While you played video games, I mastered the art of the sword.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

tithin posted:

Wait, are you playing The Journey, The Answer AND Portable? :psyduck:

Of course not, that'd be silly.

I'm doing that and playing Persona 5 in between and rewatching (listening to) the Giant Bomb P4 endurance run along with whatever the hell else I have time for. :v:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I like all the party members in P3. The game does a good job of making them total bros after all the poo poo you go through together :3:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Dragonatrix posted:

Really, the anime is the best way to experience Persona 4 for so many reasons. I'll even throw episode 1 - and only episode 1 - of Golden in there for good measure.

Marie dragged that whole anime down, but I did like the two episodes that focused on the culprit.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Big thing- I'd recommend not watching the Soul Phrase video linked above since it has a lot of elements that can spoil the game (Namely, characters we've not met yet).

I always loved the music we got out of Portable. Soul Phrase remains one of my favourite opening themes for a Persona game along with the original P4 theme and Wake Up Get Up Get Out There. Same for Wiping All Out (Helps that unlike Mass Destruction, it's not been remixed a thousand times). The one music change I'm not fond of... well, we'll get there.

I've seen a lot of fans call FeMC Minako Arisato (A genderbend of Minato, since that was the most common name for MC before Yuki), and I'll mirror that her route's pretty fun and the character is a notable contrast personality wise from Makoto... from what I've seen (Still have yet to get Portable due to my refusal to pay thirty dollars for a nearly decade old game). It is a shame that Atlus has effectively forgotten her, to the point where when they were doing an artpiece of the Persona protagonists to celebrate the 20th anniversary, she was omitted. Some elements of her route do appear in other games such as characters, but I'm pretty sure Atlus has bluntly said "Her route is an alternate universe, it's not canon."

Again, a pretty big shame. I know Persona Q gets a bad rap on the forums here, but someone online did an admirable job making her a sprite based on that game's art style.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

You know, part of me wonders if they went with "Makoto Yuki" for the movie protagonist's name because it's a gender neutral name so that either the boy or girl could be named that.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

MythosDragon posted:

Ahhhhh, That sounds amazing, but I'm trying to not immediately start since I love playing dress up and theyre going to take months to release the free DLC that I actually want to play dressup with. Since it seems you played already, is it true you get to name the protag and the team?

I got my copy on Saturday (3 days early, whoo!) but I haven't had much time to play since. I've only just recruited my third character, so, in Persona terms, I'm still in the 'intro'.

Dragonatrix posted:

I'm doing that and playing Persona 5 in between and rewatching (listening to) the Giant Bomb P4 endurance run along with whatever the hell else I have time for. :v:

I'm reading this while I have a P2:IS LP on in the background. I think we may have... problems.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

MythosDragon posted:

Comparing the P3 protagonist with the P3P female protagonist is a good illustration of how the protagonists kind of do have an implied personality shown by their body language and the selection of dialogue lines you get to choose from. Her conversation choices are definitely written to be more upbeat and energetic than the original P3 hero's.

The P3P version of the Persona awakening scene is so awful compared to the cool original. The only neat trivia is how the Magician got a 3D model for the cutscene when it didn't have a 3D model in the original game.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Dragonatrix posted:

Fellow plays all the games in a series at once buddy.

I started a P4 run a month ago and then proceeded to read the entire threads for both the LPs of the game. Then I randomly decided I wanted to play all of Suikoden, and beat 1 and most of 3 in past 2 weeks. Now I'm hankering to play Legend of Heroes. I also have issues.

Item Getter posted:

Comparing the P3 protagonist with the P3P female protagonist is a good illustration of how the protagonists kind of do have an implied personality shown by their body language and the selection of dialogue lines you get to choose from. Her conversation choices are definitely written to be more upbeat and energetic than the original P3 hero's.

The P3P version of the Persona awakening scene is so awful compared to the cool original. The only neat trivia is how the Magician got a 3D model for the cutscene when it didn't have a 3D model in the original game.

I'm not saying a silent protag is bad, but I cant honestly think of a game I've played where I wouldnt have preferred a full character. And I play allllll the RPGs, even the really bad ones, except Neptunia.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I'd say a silent protagonist probably has their merits, but I personally find that the whole thing probably works better if you're controlling a silent party rather than a silent individual.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I feel that silent protagonists (as the player's surrogate) work much better nowadays in games where you are frequently given multiple dialogue options in an attempt to allow for the player to express their own personality, rather than older games where all the protagonist ever said was "Yes" or "No".

The problem is that you need to have a much more open style of gameplay in order to really pull off the silent protagonist. You really need to allow the player to influence the course of the game in some major way with their personality and their choices, and it needs to be more than just "do you want to continue playing the game" or "how quickly would you like to progress through this (side)quest". Either that, or all the dialogue options should only affect the dialogue you get, and there shouldn't be any "correct" options that you need to take to progress (or progress better) or "trap" options that penalize you. All that having weighted dialogue options means is that you have to play with a FAQ open in order to get the "best" outcome.

One of the major reasons I prefer Persona 4 is how Social Links were handled in this game, which I'll get into once Dragonatrix actually starts one.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I personally relate alot more with a fully developed character of any kind than a blank piece of cardboard to draw my face on, no matter how many dialogue choices I get. I'll agree that Persona does it pretty good and the silent protag is basically integral for a series like Suikoden where the protagonist is just the paragon of ultimate charisma and that feeling would basically be impossible with an actual character, but I still frequently dream of what couldve been and I always feel I'd have preferred that.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

lightace posted:

:hfive:

Yukari is one of those characters that's grown on me over multiple playthroughs until she's one of my all-time favorites. Partly because of how she treats the MC differently depending on their gender and partly because spoilers.

Mitsuru is easily my second favorite though :3:

I'm curious if either of you have played "The Answer". It might color your opinion of Yukari like it did for me. Though to be fair I found her to be "meh" from the get go.

Also, I can't STAND the psp version due to how much they had to absolutely gut to make it work.

mauman fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Apr 5, 2017

lightace
Jul 13, 2016

mauman posted:

I'm curious if either of you have played "The Answer". It might color your opinion of Yukari like it did for me. Though to be fair I found her to be "meh" from the get go.

Also, I can't STAND the psp version due to how much they had to absolutely gut to make it work.

I have, but I have pretty mixed opinions on The Answer on the whole. In the beginning, I was kinda eh about her too, but like I said, I liked her more on each subsequent playthrough.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Silent characters don't really do for me unless it aids in the "multiple possibilities this person could take" aspect of the story, like the Demon Route in Soul Nomad.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

MythosDragon posted:

the silent protag is basically integral for a series like Suikoden where the protagonist is just the paragon of ultimate charisma and that feeling would basically be impossible with an actual character

Tierkreis is a good example of this. Sieg is about as far from a silent protagonist as is possible and he's just such a giant dorklord loser that he ends up being awesome despite himself, not because of it. Tierkreis is also kind of a bad example because it's not good at that whole "Being A Suikoden" thing, despite being pretty serviceable otherwise.

As far as SMT goes, I really think most of them should not be silent because they all have clearly defined personalities. Later Persona (among others) sort of has the excuse of being more convenient for player projection but it still really doesn't work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Dragonatrix posted:

I'm jealous

(my copy of p5 isn't due to arrive in Australia for another week - Amazon UK was the only place I could get the TYH edition)

Also, you're loving crazy, and I appreciate that