Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Epicmissingno posted:

I dunno when it happened, but the story goes that Nyx charmed two of his characters and they cast Diarahan on it. This was on easy mode. He then ragequit (after being paid to finish the game) and Atlus USA's official Youtube channel left a comment on the video saying "The charm salt is real".

I watched the video and he never even tried to cure the charm. Both times it happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
So, uh, turns out the next update is a bit too large to fit in one post. I knew that'd be the case for January 31st, but didn't expect that here. There's no real easy good way to split it, so I'll just put it on the test-poster (remember to thank Baldurk!) because that works fine.

118. 03/03/10

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Heirophant is such an odd link with how they waffle back and forth on that tree. Pick a conclusion and stick with it, dammit! Also, Kenji and Toriumi aren't done being weird and making things awkward.

Also, Ken's and Kanji's subplot in PQ was great and I will fight you on that. The only thing that mars it is the game's ending.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Hey, since the game's basically over...

If you had to put together a team of four SEES members that did not include a certain blue-haired jerk, who would you pick? Bonus points if you explain how they could handle specific parts of Tartarus.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I feel like the whole "where are they now" epilogues thing works better when the player character doesn't have like five simultaneous girlfriends. The scene with Toriumi is one of the highlights of the game, though.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

So, today's a very short and brief day all things considered. I'd skip it wholesale but we do have one tiny thing to do.

Want To Be Close

The only thing we can do today is talk to Junpei. I checked, just to be safe. Junpei's the only one around to talk to. Others would be out and about if we didn't talk to them yesterday though.

Ah, I give up.
But I feel like it's something I really gotta remember...

Silence

So, we'll just go back to the dorm pretty much instantly then.

At least we do get to learn that tomorrow we see who remembers what. Which I guess is something...

Even though it's moments before we come to Graduation Day anyway. Ah well.

Graduation Day
covers what is effectively the rest of the update just watch this instead if you can

May I please come in?

I'm so happy to see you again...
I'm sorry to show up so suddenly...
But... I really needed to talk to you.
What's on your mind?

Living With Determination

Everyone seems to have forgotton, but I remember...
That day, we...
Don't cry.
I'm sorry...
It's just that, when I remembered...

That won't happen.

I'm sorry... The ceremony's already begun...
Such nice weather outside...
Do you remember? ...The promise we all made?
Why don't we go there and wait for the others...?
We can enjoy the view of this peaceful city...

Oddly enough, this random unnamed student is also voiced by Karen Strassman. I get that it's convenient and all, but it's also somewhat jarring hearing her go from still fairly robot-y Aigis to her normal voice back to back like that.

Though this is our last day together, we want the senior class to know that you've truly earned our respect.
We wish each of you good health, happiness, and prosperity.
On this auspicious occasion, I bid you all a fond farewell on behalf of the student body.

Silence

From Class D, Mitsuru Kirijo.
Thank you.

When I first addressed you from this podium, I spoke to you all about seizing opportunity while you had the chance...
Well, it must have been fate that intervened and gave me an important reminder of this...
As many of you may know, my father unexpectedly...

She pauses for a moment here. One of the rare times an elipsis ends up being used correctly in a JRPG.

He unexpectedly passed away, due to sudden illness...

Graduating Senior: Wow, that's rare. I've never heard her stumble in a speech before.
Graduating Senior's Friend: It's a big day... It must be tough thinking about her father.

And with that, we're suddenly back to the animezone for this.

I remember... Yes...

With my father's death, I lost my purpose in life...

Hang on, wasn't I supposed to...?

Bonds

It's so weird seeing Junpei without his hat here. I dunno, it just doesn't look right to me.

Akihiko-senpai, what's up?

But now I have something to live for.

No longer will I run from the future!
I will face it head on, carrying out my father's will!

I am resolved and without reservation.

I sure haven't mentioned it much but boy do we get some real jank animation in these scenes sometimes. Like, this might not seem fair because it's a still and all and it wasn't meant to be seen as one but it doesn't look any better in motion.

The promise!

I owe it all to my invaluable friends...
And we have promised to never lose hope, no matter what tomorrow may bring.

Senpai, we made a promise. Let's find him, and Aigis too!
Yes, I can hardly wait. Everyone, let's go!

Honestly the best part about is that during almost the entire scene there's random NPCs complaining and murmuring about what's going on in the background. It's just a constant thing that's there.

Memories of the School

This is my first time experiencing spring.
But, this season will eventually pass...
After fighting alongside you, and facing the world's end...
I finally began to understand...
...what it means to live...
Thinking for yourself... Not running away...
Accepting the inevitable...

Every living thing will one day disappear...
Only by accepting this can one discover what they truly want...
What the meaning of their life will be...
I understand now why I was so tormented by my lack of strength.
Protecting others became more than just an order I had to obey.
I wanted to do it for my own reasons...

When I thought I might never see you again, something else became clear to me--what I wanted most.
And so, I made up my mind.
I decided that I would continue to protect you.
I want to be your strength.
I know I'm not the only one who can do this... but that's okay.

Thank you...
It'll be okay.
You're right. What am I doing?

> You hear voices calling out to you...

Everyone...
I realize now that I have friends as well.
You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life...

I'll keep on living no matter what, so that I can protect you...

> The gentle spring sunlight warms your body.

> You feel a little sleepy...

Thank you for everything...
You must be tired...
Please get some rest... I'll stay right here with you...

> The sounds of footsteps and familiar voices are getting closer...

> You're getting sleepier...

Stop ye travellers as you pass by
As you are now, so once was I
As I am now, soon you shall be
Prepare yourself to follow me

Because I Will Protect You

As Makoto closes his eyes one last time, we catch a glimpse of Philemon's blue butterfly bookending our journey.

Though, the Fool's Journey is not over. Not really.

Don't worry. I will always be by your side...

Death, the thirteenth arcana, is not an ending but the midpoint of the journey. It represents a great change. Death itself is a very powerful change of course.

...protecting you...

So as one journey comes to a close, that this is not truly the end brings with it a question. We need to find The Answer...

Kimi no Kioku (Memories of You) (Orchestral vers.)

For the second time now, we've come to the end of the Journey proper.

The voice of the wind and droplets of light flow over you as you doze
I will never forget the gentle smile and the eyes you hid in sorrow
You gave me the courage to wish (even when it hurts) and to fight, so I can go on
In my dreams (even when I wake up) I will see you again

I sing, with a distant memory in my heart

You defended this fragile and fleeting world with your hands
So please, fold your wings and rest
Sheltered by an eternal peace, love through all eternity

There's not much to say about the credits. They're credits. It shows silhouettes of the main cast and their ultimate persona. Most notable here is that it shows Messiah for Makoto's which pretty much sums up his intended character arc in one single image.

Rest now in my arms, as I watch over you
As I recall your joy, your sorrow, and your rage
I will remember you always, until my life is exhausted

At an intersection, I heard a voice similar to yours
I turned to look up at the sky, to force back my sudden tears

I continue to walk alone, aimlessly, believing that I will see you again tomorrow (someday)
Through rainy nights (and sunny days) I wait for you

I'll just use Yukari and Io to demonstrate that's the intent here. You can see the lot in the video if you watch the credits, ever.

I'll never forget that dark night, we made it through

That blindingly brilliant moment when we were all together
Those precious times I didn't realize I should cherish
Now all I can do is remember, I will embrace the feeling

I know for a fact, you were there by my side
You were always always always there, smiling
If ever I lose you, I will find you, I will never leave you

You defended this fragile and fleeting world with your hands
So please, fold your wings and rest
Sheltered by an eternal peace, love through all eternity

Rest now in my arms, as I watch over you
As I recall your joy, your sorrow, and your rage
I will remember you always, until my life is exhausted

That blindingly brilliant moment when we were all together
Those precious times I didn't realize I should cherish
Now all I can do is remember, I will embrace the feeling

I know for a fact, you were there by my side
You were always always always there, smiling

If ever I lose you, I will find you, I will never leave you

Like before, we get a final after credits scene albeit one with technically more substance.

As in we get to see an actual result of what happened, rather than "karaoke and then it ends".

Though it's still a very abrupt stop all things considered. It's appropriate really, because Makoto's journey is over.

End

Silence

But we do have the ability to save NG+ data which we'll need to use. There's one thing that's gated behind it and one thing I want to try and do in it. Just in case, you know.

Nice of it to tell you that if you save over the clear data you lose it.

...Now I'm curious, how long did this take?

Y'know what, forget I asked.

So, how about that New Game+ and the hardest fight in FES? Also maybe a glitch or two, why not?

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Because I'm a dummy and missed the clues (and the game doesn't make this explicit) I thought the protagonist would have a heartwarming reunion with everyone on the roof and they'd go have karaoke and sushi and a real party.

The intro to the Answer was a kick in the crotch.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

Kimi no Kioku never fails to get me emotional. It might just be my favourite piece of music from a video game, or at least top 5.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I have my issues with the plot of P3 but I do think the ending is really strong.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

Memories of You is a goddamn beautiful track

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
RIP Protagonist-Kun: He died because he saved the world and is probably now kicking god in the balls.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

SoundwaveAU posted:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

SoundwaveAU posted:

I'd say that it's the best of the three modern Persona ending/credits tracks, even. Not that there's necessarily anything wrong with Never More or With The Stars And Us, but I just don't think they work as well.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Despite how phenomenal 4 and 5 soundtracks are, and how much better 4 and 5 play over 3, I always felt like 3's music and atmosphere were the best.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

kw0134 posted:

Because I'm a dummy and missed the clues (and the game doesn't make this explicit) I thought the protagonist would have a heartwarming reunion with everyone on the roof and they'd go have karaoke and sushi and a real party.

The intro to the Answer was a kick in the crotch.

I feel you, magic amnesia and dying at the end was just kind of not a fun ending.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Despite how phenomenal 4 and 5 soundtracks are, and how much better 4 and 5 play over 3, I always felt like 3's music and atmosphere were the best.

I tried to play 4 after 3 and its battle theme alone was a big factor that made me stop.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
But both of 4s battle themes rule???

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I can see I can see Reach Out to the Truth becoming grating after many hours/hard to appreciate if the listener isn't down with J-Rock, but I feel like Time To Make History's bassline is groovy enough to be universally appreciated.

(And if we're talking about underappreciated P3 tracks, Master of Tartarus is a certified bop and makes dialing through the battle menu feel tactical and cool)

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

I feel you, magic amnesia and dying at the end was just kind of not a fun ending.

I tried to play 4 after 3 and its battle theme alone was a big factor that made me stop.

People find 4's battle theme grating after 80 hours of "BABY BABY BABY BABAAAAY"?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
It's been long enough since 3 that most people forgot how tiresome BABYBABYBABYBABYBABABY got over 100 hours of gameplay. :v:

Meanwhile 5's somehow never got old. Probably because they learned not to have vocals start the instant the battle does.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

So, whenever you load Clear Data it functions just like starting a regular New Game. It even offers to tell you the differences between vanilla and FES still.

Before we load this proper though, let's go back a bit to January 31st to collect something in an alternative timeline.

Not just this. This IS important but we could've gotten it anytime. The Divine Pillar is an accessory that grants a unique skill called Firm Stance. Firm Stance is only available via this item as nothing learns it and even in Portable there's no legitimate way to get a skill card for it (though the card DOES exist in the game data).

Firm Stance is a very important skill: you take half damage from every attack that hits, but in return attacks will never miss you. We'll be using this later.

This is the real reason we went back in time, though. Orpheus Telos is the Persona you can make with the Cipher Mask so he's only available at the end of January. Resists every element, naturally has 72 in all stats and has no innate skills outside of that Victory Cry he learns at level 97. He's made via a Hexagon fusion of Thanatos, Chi You, Helel, Metatron, Asura and Messiah. He's.... honestly not that great. Because he has no innate skills that means he gets a hodgepodge of 8 from the other guys which is a pain in the rear end to deal with. For our purposes, High Counter, Salvation and Mind Charge are all we really need and out of those? High Counter is mandatory.

As far as I'm aware, Telos was not in Vanilla. Keep that in mind for later.

So we'll beat Nyx with these in-hand and start a NG+ in Hard again.

Just gonna skip everything that doesn't pertain to anything new and relevant. There's very little that's new and relevant though.

The Magician encounter is the first time we can see something different, and even then it's just that Makoto keeps whatever he had equipped before.

This does make the Mayas here even more of a joke since we can poke 'em for over 1000 damage a pop.

Once we can finally open the menu several in-game days later, we can see why. Our level also carried over (but we're still beholden to it for fusion if that's relevant).

What did and did not carry over is a bit arbitrary. Naturally our stock didn't, but that's fine since the compendium did.

Whatever Makoto had equipped at the Nyx (Avatar) fight he starts NG+ equipped with. Everything there carries over as-is.

Every piece of equipment we had in our inventory is also still there.

And, of course, Social Stats carry over as well. Unlike in 4 and 5 this is really super irrelevant though, since while yes we can ignore stat requirements for starting links it... only helps for like one or two. And doesn't save time on not grinding the stats since that's a night time thing anyway. And there's fuckall to do at night.

Speaking of links, of course they all reset. This sounds obvious but it's important for something.

Inventory didn't carry over, and notably neither did the level of anyone but the main character. I get it but it's still annoying.

A lot of key items carried over but not all of them. The ones pertaining to Elizabeth's requests didn't so you can't cheese them. Most Fusion unlock items, however, did.

All but one, in fact. The Cipher Mask does not carry over. You didn't fuse and register Orpheus Telos before? Too bad, you gotta max every link again. It's dumb.

Not the dumbest though. Oh no, neither is what happens to everyone else's equipment but it's up there. Everyone but Makoto's reverted back to their initial gear and whatever they had equipped during the Nyx Avatar fight is gone. They don't have it. It's not put back in your inventory. It's just gone and you have to go and obtain it again. If they had anything important and hard to get, I'd be way more pissed. As is I'm just mildly annoyed.

Since we'll be trying something special, I'm not gonna really do any links in NG+. In fact outside of the plot ranks the only optional link we'll be starting is Toriumi's. There's a reason for that.

But we'll get to that in a minute. First, Elizabeth's requests unlock again and all of them reset. All of them. We'll be redoing zero of them and only bothering with this one. This one's new and is only doable in NG+, except in Portable when it's thrown in with the Monad quests. Speaking of which, since Monad would be open now anyway its few quests are available here too.

Don't care, though. We've already done 98/99 requests previously; just gonna do this last one for the full 99.

But not yet. It's not really even possible to clear this early. I mean, like, yeah you theoretically could if you spend dozens upon dozens upon dozens of hours on fusion stuff, to give you the four Persona you outright need along with more to make the fight doable... but gently caress that noise, just wait til you get the compendium.

We'll just take advantage of Golden Week to get Toriumi to level 4 and then never touch an optional social link again for almost the rest of the game. There's only one more optional link scene we'll be dealing with much, much later.

You're probably wondering why we'd bother getting Toriumi to rank 4 and then stopping, right?

I... have my reasons. Speaking of which, let's go pay Tanaka a visit right away.

Since we have enough Charm already, we can get this done before the Priestess fight for good measure. We'll just pay Tanaka once...

Come back the next day to pay him again and then we'll stop. We're not gonna do the third because that starts the link proper. Again, I have my reasons.

Then we'll just beat up the Arcana Priestess shadow and head right on in to Tartarus. Elizabeth requested we fight this ultimate opponent solo, but let's take Junpei just in case.

Gonna need to run through Monad for this one, Told you we'd be back here for something else.

Gotta go all the way to the 10th floor in fact. Something's different. Let's go say hi, shall we?

The adversary I asked you to defeat is now standing before you.

Let's be honest, if you somehow didn't know about this you saw it coming after Margaret at the latest.

I have long sought an understanding of who I am...
...Just as you and my master have done.
Those who set foot in the Velvet Room are all destined to embark on this search for identity.
I have come to know power in many forms...
If I face one whose power exceeds my own, then I may discover an answer to my question...

You may be able to give me that answer...
Will you do me the honor of fighting me?
Yes.
You have my thanks.
Now, shall we begin?

The Lethal Elevator Attendant (Uncut) / The Brutalizing Bellboy* (Portable)

Unavoidable Battle (Reincarnation)

So, full disclosure: I despise this fight. It is the single worst designed fight in... the entire Persona series, honestly. We'll get to that in just a tick, though.

Odd oversight but regardless of when you do this fight, the intro is always done by Fuuka. Understandable why, but since our navigator here is Mitsuru it stands out somewhat. Incidentally, her dialogue is completely unchanged if you're fighting Theo in Portable. And I do mean completely.

Ummm... Is it just me, or does it seem like she wants to fight...?
What!? Her power is unbelievable! ...Who IS she!?

First things first, remember how Elizabeth wanted us to fight solo? Well, about that...

I know several effective ways of inflicting pain.
Don't worry, I'm not as fragile as I look. Try to kill me... if you can.

Since we disregarded that half of the request, Elizabeth doesn't take that too well. As you would no doubt expect she gets two turns a round and uses her first to Diarahan.

Elizabeth only has 20,000HP so it's not quite as bad as it would seem. Honestly, 20,000 is technically a lie but we'll get to that.

Her second turn is Megidolaon.

You know the drill by now, I'm sure.

Incidentally, it's not easy to see here but Elizabeth's Arcana for all her attacks is The World.

She's the only person here that has access to The World in fact. Remember, Makoto got The Universe instead and technically its the same thing but shush just go with it.

So for the real version of this fight, we're gonna dump Junpei back on the bench and give Makoto this old pair of shoes.

Since we can't dodge, the Evasion is irrelevant. I'm hoping for the reduced Stumble effect to help out some since it helps reduce the chance of being Down after missing a physical attack.

We're also gonna need a specific set of Persona just to be able to win the fight. Ananta, Vishnu, Satan and Helel are all mandatory here (you could use Odin and Valkyrie but no bad stop it).

So, what can Elizabeth do? Well, she can use physical attacks of all 3 elements. This is helpful and important. Remember it.

This normally hurts a fuckin' ton but between Firm Stance and Telos resisting everything it becomes managable.

But even then an untimely crit is still a fight-ender.

And I'm sure it goes without saying but unlike with Margaret, scanning doesn't reveal anything useful at any point in the fight.

Before we get further into it, let's just look at one of the things that makes Elizabeth awful.

Tarukaja and Mind Charge makes Morning Star (the second best non-Armageddon attack remember) do barely 250 damage.

Yes, she universally resists Almighty. I sorta get why, but it doesn't make it any better.

Elizabeth is a barrier change boss, which probably isn't much of a surprise at this point. Mercifully, she runs on a very fixed pattern. Turn 0 doesn't matter, you should be using Mind Charge. :colbert:

Turn 1 her active persona is Surt. In addition to resisting Almighty, Surt grants immunity to Strike and superdrains Fire. Naturally if you yourself null/drain/repel Fire, you get 9999'd for your trouble.

Added bonus however is that technically Surt adds an Ice weakness. Not an actual weakness, but a 150% damage multiplier is always helpful. Combining Mind Charge with the right elemental boost/amp and the tier 4 spell (Niflheim, Ragnarok, Panta Rhei or Thunder Reign) makes this fight managable.

For turn 2, out comes Ice and that means...

Jack Frost! Jack nulls Pierce and superdrains Ice along with the Almighty resistance. Takes bonus damage from Fire of course.

As you probably guessed, turn 3 brings Elec damage with it.

That means Thor and Thor switches things up a little. In addition to superdraining Elec, he's immune to Strike and Pierce damage. At least he takes bonus damage from Wind.

Which, of course, is also all that's left for turn 4.

That means Cu Chulainn who, well, is Cu Chulainn in this fight. Superdrains Wind and is immune to Pierce for good measure. Takes extra damage from Elec just to round that one out too.

Turn 5 is technically a reprieve, oddly enough. Just don't be weak to Expel and pack a bunch of Homunculi just in case.

Because SMT is lacking some for big Expel boys, Elizabeth is using Metatron here. He's immune to Fire, Ice, Elec and Wind which is always fun.

Turn 6 then is Curse which could be a bit more varied but, well...

It's Alice. You're not surprised, don't lie. She's also immune to Fire, Ice, Elec and Wind.

Turn 7 is a bit of a gotcha. Elizabeth can use most ailments here. Distress, Charm, Panic and Fear are all around which makes having a source of Unyielding Will mandatory and she also has Poison just to make it so you can't no-sell everything easily.

No Rage though, which is a good thing here for obvious reasons.

Naturally then you're gonna want Salvation because being poisoned in this fight is Not Fun.

Her Ailment boy is Nebiros, which really hammers home just how odd it is that Belial is missing in this game.

Nebiros is boring and is flat resistant to everything.

Turn 8 is Elizabeth's Almighty turn.

Except, it's specifically a 9999 Megidolaon turn. She does it twice, yes.

No, this isn't a rage counter. No, this isn't a "you hosed up try again". This is part of her pattern. Every 8th turn is a double 9999 Megidolaon courtesy of Masakado.

Remember when I said that Vishnu and Ananta were mandatory for this fight? This is why.

You need to use Infinity (or Valhalla if you're feeling extra spicy) to be able to survive. Because this is a bad fight.

Oh and when Masakado is active, Elizabeth is immune to Slash, Strike, Pierce, Fire, Ice, Elec and Wind. Yep, all you can do here is Almighty which is still resisted.

And... that's it. Then she loops back to Fire/Surt and the pattern begins anew. She never deviates (unless you trigger a rage counter), she never changes, it just loops. Forever.

Incidentally, all her Persona have 99 in all stats. Just throwing that one out there for good measure.

But, the curtain has just risen... Show me your best performance!

Once she loses 5000HP, you might think the fight is gonna deviate some but nope. It just keeps going exactly the same as before.

The performance is underway. I shall give you something to remember!

The same however is not true when she loses 10,000:

When she gets a turn at this point, she will Diarahan. This is not the first time she drops below 10,000.

This is every time she drops below 10,000.

So, she's not allowed to get a turn when her HP gets that low. Problem: you only have 1 turn a round and she has 2. Solution?

In order to win, you gotta drop her to a little over 10,000HP and then she needs to use a physical attack on her second turn and the RNG has to let you counter it. gently caress off, this fight sucks.

The Counter skills are technically Phys repels that have a percentage chance of triggering; Counter is 15%, Counterstrike is 30% and High Counter is 50%. If these numbers seem oddly high to you, yeah, they're normally a lot lower and Persona 4 and 5 hit them hard with the nerf bat but also didn't make them mandatory for anything.

If this happens on her first turn? Diarahan. If this doesn't happen for a while because making the chance to win the fight even more random than a bullshit barrier change boss? Deal with it.

Oh and yes this is mandatory. Immune to Knock Down so you can't go critfishing to do it any other way.

And, yes, once the game finally lets you win, you have to use Armageddon. Immediately. Don't have enough SP? Too bad, that's your fault and problem. You don't have time to restore it now because as soon as your turn is up? Diarahan.

Incidentally, the Pixie she uses for that Diarahan is immune to everything much like Masakado is. Why? Because gently caress you, that's why.

I hate this garbage fight. It is genuinely my least favorite fight in the entire series, never mind this one game. It's not even really all that difficult because of her pattern. It's just long and awfully designed and that's why there's a cut and uncut version of this fight.

End

Silence

I believed that I would find my answer when I challenged one who was stronger than me...
But, I was wrong...
I have received no such revelation, not even in defeat.
Wait... I am mistaken...
The answer is this:
Only I can decide who I am.

You have overcome the most difficult obstacle I've placed in your path.
You shall receive your reward, the same as always.
But... please accept this as well.
It is no reward; it is a sign of my gratitude.

Despite having the regular item mark here, it's a key item. Just like the Jade Bookmark from Margaret, it doesn't do anything but be a trophy reminder that you won the fight. That's fine though, at this point nothing else matters.

Well then, good day...

Not much left for us to do, so we'll just head right on back to the Velvet Room to formally close out this request.

It was the last thing I'll ask of you.
This shall be the last reward you receive...
It is the gift of ultimate power.
No matter where you go or what you do, you are sure to persevere.
Thank you so much for indulging my curiosity.
Please accept your reward.

Yeah, so, there's only 2 ways to get an Omnipotent Orb. Complete this request for 1 per playthrough or get the 1% Heart Item from Messiah. It's a great item and all, but by the time you can get it you so don't need it. This holds true for both methods of course.

For the last thing we're going to do here, we'll skip far, far, faaaaaar ahead into the future. How far?

January 31st. Yep, we're skipping all the way to the final day of the game.

Before we enter Tartarus, we're still in the Evening phase of the day. Unlike for every other Full Moon Operation briefing, we've got a chance to still leave at this point and get supplies or whatever.

We're gonna spend money still, but we're gonna use it to give Tanaka his last 10,000 yen he wanted. That's the third payment and its enough to trigger...

His social link to start. On January 31st. For obvious reasons, this is only doable in FES since he's a day link in the vanilla release. He remains a night link in Portable but there he's only around on certain days and Sunday is not one of them.

And hey since we started a link that advances time and that means...

The game skips to March 3rd. You can completely skip Nyx all of Tartarus courtesy of this glitch.

This only works with Tanaka, of course, since the cafe and karaoke aren't available and the arcade doesn't let you do anything in the evening on January 31st. Mutatsu sounds plausible but he's always the same so he'd be unavailable on Jan 31st to prevent this too. It working at all seems like a weird oversight that will almost never come up outside of, well, this.

Sadly, yes, this does mean now that The Journey is over. We've reached our destination and it's time to seek out The Answer.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

For some reason I never grasped this battle was a puzzle where the puzzle was "gently caress you"

also is her arcana the world? maybe it's just the video quality but it dones look like that design is on the cards she uses, unless it shows up elsewhere and I missed it.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

rannum posted:

For some reason I never grasped this battle was a puzzle where the puzzle was "gently caress you"

also is her arcana the world? maybe it's just the video quality but it dones look like that design is on the cards she uses, unless it shows up elsewhere and I missed it.

Dragonatrix posted:

Incidentally, it's not easy to see here but Elizabeth's Arcana for all her attacks is The World.

She's the only person here that has access to The World in fact. Remember, Makoto got The Universe instead and technically its the same thing but shush just go with it.

Also. I appreciate the fight being done essentially twice to show both Liz and Theo, as tedious as that might have been.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
That fight looks awful and I am glad that her attendant fight is the only one I have never done.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
best glitch in the game

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

The Nyx skip glitch was re-discovered by speedrunners in April of this year. How did they discover this? From a single random GameFAQs forum thread that nobody really noticed from ten years ago.

beru04
May 4, 2013

Stop making me realise things.

SoundwaveAU posted:

The Nyx skip glitch was re-discovered by speedrunners in April of this year. How did they discover this? From a single random GameFAQs forum thread that nobody really noticed from ten years ago.

That's just incredible, in theory that means that Tartarus is now not required, let alone Nyx. It must be hours saved on the best runs beforehand

ZevGun
Sep 6, 2011
I really liked the part in the uncut video where you did Infinity while poisoned and then took damage.
I'm glad I never tried this fight, it looks like a gigantic awful slog.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

beru04 posted:

That's just incredible, in theory that means that Tartarus is now not required, let alone Nyx. It must be hours saved on the best runs beforehand
Presumably you'd still need enough levels to beat all the full moon bosses, but those tend to be pretty easy, so it'd be a lot less grinding in any case.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

I remember doing this fight with a Ti-83 by my side, inputting the damage I had done to make sure I knew exactly when to cast Armageddon. Was this overkill? No, because the FAQ I consulted said to do that or use Excel.

This was not a good fight.

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.
Tanaka saves the world by teaching you valuable life lessons, new canon.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Solve the death of mankind with this miracle product! Guaranteed to work! Order it off our show for the low low price of 4000 yen! And we'll toss in a strange morsel for free! What a bargain, folks! Call now!

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Haifisch posted:

Solve the death of mankind with this miracle product! Guaranteed to work! Order it off our show for the low low price of 4000 yen! And we'll toss in a strange morsel for free! What a bargain, folks! Call now!

I'll take twenty!

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

SoundwaveAU posted:

Yeah, I am really glad this was posted about in the megathread shortly afterwards. It's a cool and interesting thing that I'm glad came up with plenty of time to include here. :v:

Random_Username
Jan 1, 2013
Can I just say that Tanaka is the best character? Not only does he learn NOTHING from your social link, his epilogue is him speeding away from a tax evasion with the radio blaring his theme song. The fact that this glitch exists is just the cherry on top.

Also, am I the only one that finds it fitting that you can skip the final boss if you make a deal with The Devil?

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
A lot of the super bonus bosses in SMT games seem to demand extremely rigid patterns like that (Demifiend in DDS1 is another notorious example.) Never bothered to 100% any of the games as a result, because who wants to deal with that poo poo?

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

From a fun and gameplay perspective (which is like 90% of what actually matters in a video game optional boss) Elizabeth is loving awful. But I will say that there was a certain mystique around her (And the DDS superboss) due to the limited nature of the internet of the time that I personally thought was really cool. Like, how the gently caress are you supposed to know how to do any of that? That poo poo is hella convoluted. So seeing the rare GameFAQ guide or Youtube video at the time was pretty cool.

Burger Flipper
Sep 14, 2015

by astral
To be fair, you could have had physical strategy guide that told you about the fight. Though often, and sometimes to an annoying degree, those guides would also sometimes just go, "And figure out how to do this on your own. :smuggo:"

A good example of that for me would be the Final Fantasy VIII Bradygames guide. It says, "We don't want to spoil the final boss, but just use our strategy for Omega Weapon and it should work fine."

Except it doesn't cause the final boss fights completely differently.

Back to this, I'd bet the Prima (I think is the only one I've seen) guide for this did something similar. Might have mentioned the fight with Elizabeth, but just said, "And this is the ultimate challenge. have fun." Though Prima was usually better about those things, if you ask me. They were worse with other things, usually their books were more bland, if you ask me. And sometimes set up stupidly, but when it comes to info, they were usually quite a bit better.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The Bradygames FF8's Omega Weapon strategy was literally 'use Aura, Holy Wars, Meltdown and Limit Break spam' though. Which, well, works for just about anything.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

FES

P3 FES

So, real quick I didn't mention it before but FES has a second OP/attract video of its own that plays by default first. You have to wait for a second pass to get Burn My Dread, which can be a bit of an issue if you haven't played Persona 3 before.

The FES opening just casually shows a bunch of cool moments, albeit without context so they're not really spoilers per se.

But, y'know, it includes stuff up to and including the Nyx fight.

No, really, Nyx's outer shell is right there in plain view the entire time.

It even ruins some unexpectedly cool jokes like Elizabeth surfing down the slide.

...But some of it shows stuff we definitely haven't seen yet. Like Aigis fighting Akihiko...???

On the whole I really like this OP, and the stylistic flourishes make it pop and super memorable. There's no real major Answer spoilers in it despite how it looks there though.

End

Brand New Days -The Beginning-

Now that the Journey is formally complete, I think it's time to begin seeking the Answer. There's a lot less to it than the Journey, though, but we'll get there soon enough.

In the off-chance you start the Answer by accident, it's kind enough to tell you that it comes after the Journey. Unfortunately there's no way to opt out at this point.

It also kinda lies to you here. Combat isn't inherently harder, per se. All this means is that we don't have a difficulty choice and its always Hard mode. This means less than it did before, though, so it's not as bad as it sounds.

March 31st
this covers the entire rest of the update better to just watch it if you can

Opening Act

So, like before we open with a shot of the full moon...

Though this time it's used for a sweet match cut to a gear rapidly rotating... inside a machine of some kind.

This ordeal... It may be that we brought it upon ourselves.

During this scene, Aigis provides some degree of narration every now and then. (I remembered to subtitle the video for folks who want to watch just that, so you won't miss out on anything.)

Speaking of Aigis, she seems to be damaged or something since the machine was her. There's this actually cool glitchy distortion as the camera zooms out, just before we get to see...

Aigis fighting against Akihiko?! I sure wouldn't expect that to be in the intro.

Rather notably, Akihiko seems to be winning right now...

Though Aigis is able to take advantage of being flipped like that.

I guess the anime scenes team didn't get the memo that Akihiko is a boxer.

It's very brief, but as Aigis lands there's a partially silhouetted Fuuka standing nearby. She's only visible for a tiny number of frames so it's super easy to miss.

But she's just watching on as Aigis opens her finger guns, aims straight at Aki and fires.

She's so accurate, she can shoot out a bead of sweat in midair. Be nice if she could be that accurate outside of the anime zone too.

...Though even with that, she still can't hit Akihiko who just dodges every shot. Wish he could do that for us too.

One bullet does slightly graze him as he rushes in, though it looks more like he just let it happen.

While this is happening, someone else is kicking the poo poo out of Ken.

And doing a good job at it too, apparently.

Can't say we've seen his attacker before though. Or maybe we have; it's hard to say with that mask in the way.

Silence

Philemon's apparently hanging out watching this too, or at least has something to do with that masked person here. They both have butterfly shaped masks, even!

The fact that a future exists and being able to access it are very different things.

Fuuka really doesn't like watching this, but she's right there so it's weird that she doesn't try to stop it.

Especially since Akihiko's decided to escalate now. Fists vs Guns is one thing, but you don't bring a Persona to a brawl. That's just unsportsmanlike!

We did not understand such an obvious, and natural, principle yet.

Both of these fights are happening very near to each other, huh? And Fuuka's a lot closer than she seemed before too...

But Akihiko's evoker gets smacked out of his hand and into the air. Sure is red out tonight.

Whoever he's fighting against seems to have overpowered and bested Ken. That means we can write off a lot of people, really, and it leaves only the very strongest.

For a brief moment, we get flashes of the end of the Journey just to remind us what happened to the main character there.

Indeed, we understood very little.

We knew nothing about using the key to open the path to the future.

And then we see a key bounce though it cuts away just before it can land in that small pool of blood. Just to make that metaphor a bit overly literal, I guess.

Ah, Yukari-chan! It's me...
Um... Are you coming today...?
Oh, uh... didn't you see the message I left you on the board? I have cram school today...
I know... But...
I left all the stuff at the dorm, so I don't have to be there in person, right?
I suppose not, but...
Are you okay with that?
Yeah... I'm gonna pass.
Oh, sorry... Break's almost over. I gotta go.
Tell everyone I said hi, okay?

3/31

Sanada-san said he was busy at the gym, so I doubt he'll be here in time either...
Man, what's up with those two?

With all our memories of this place, you'd think they'd want to see it off... right?
*whimper*
It can't be helped. They just see things differently.
Everyone's started down their own chosen path... It's a good thing.
...You're right.
I can hardly blame them.

So we finally gotta give up our Evokers...

Makes sense with no Dark Hour any more and how they're all very important research materials. May have mentioned it before but each Evoker contains a Plume of Dusk, since that's how they're able to function.

If you ever have a question about how something works the answer is almost always a Plume of Dusk.

I hate to let it go, but it's not like I got a use for it anymore.
Lessee... Two, four... Wait, how many of these are there supposed to be?

(Nine; eight guns and a shock collar.)

The door to the meeting room can be heard opening here.

Aigis...

I believe this is all of them.
Huh...? You had one too, Aigis-san?
I'd forgotten... You had his for safekeeping...
H-Hey, c'mon... Don't get all gloomy again.
I don't think that's the way he would've wanted to see this end.

But I still wonder... Why did it happen?
The doctors didn't find anything wrong with him afterward... It just seemed like he fell asleep, didn't it?

It seems weird and clunky, but it's important to remember that it's not super clear at first that the main character died at the end of the Journey. It's very heavily implied and it's thematically resonant but I can't begrudge anyone for not catching it until now.

This is definitely the case. It was a bit delayed, but it's a rare moment of the fight mechanics tying into the story. Great Seal cost 100% max HP to use, remember, so it's really clever like that.

It's useless to try and guess at the reasons why.
I am certain he didn't blame anybody for what happened.
Yeah... Ai-chan's got that right.
Hey, but I'm glad to see that you're still hangin' in there, Aigis.
Back then, it was like he was all you could think about.
I'm... somewhat surprised as well.

You can't see it here, but Ken has a question mark above his head too. Aigis' portrait is just kinda in the way here.

Huh? The lab...? Are you planning to commute to school from there next semester?
Oh... No, I...
Aigis is returning herself to the lab tomorrow. She... won't be enrolled as a senior.
Seriously?! Why? Can't she stay in school like she was before?

I enjoyed being with you all, but I need to find my own way of life.
...Oh, but you can come visit me anytime.
Aigis...
Think of it as a new beginning for her.
Anyway... We seem to have gotten on the wrong track, but today's not meant to be a sad occasion.

We may not have been able to get everyone together, but we should all eat here tonight.
Th-That would be great!
You got THAT sushi again!? Sweet!
No objections here!
You're gonna join us, right Aigis?
Of course. I couldn't miss spending time with you all.

Silence

That Apathy Syndrome still exists despite Shadows and the Dark Hour both no longer being around to cause it is a bit bizarre. It's technically possible that Nyx being sealed didn't cause them to vanish immediately, and it's taken time to slowly fade out of course.

Newscaster: However, surveys show that the number of people who report serious stress in everyday life has not decreased. According to research carried out by the Ministry of Health and Welfare...

It's almost midnight...
It's hard to believe we've spent the evening doing nothing.
Sitting here like this reminds me of those days... Perhaps that's why.
I think I can understand.
I have so many memories of this lounge that I find myself spending time here for no reason.
It's the same for me. When where here, I think about when we were still fighting...

Well... all that stuff aside, doesn't something feel weird to you guys?
I'll be walkin' around, and people act like as long as they're happy right now, nothing else matters.

It makes me think, "Is this what we almost died to protect?"
Are you saying that people don't know how good they have it? You're sounding like an old man...!
Hey! Who asked you!?
That's out of our hands, I'm afraid.

Yeah, I guess. But still...

Newscaster: ...And that's the weather. At the tone, the time will be midnight.

At midnight there's a brief flash instead of the tone from the news. It's hard to see in motion, but the old Dark Hour clock is visible in the distortion...

Woof! Rarf!
Midnight... It can't be-- Is it the Dark Hour again!?

Wait... The news...!

Newscaster: Good evening.

The 31st was yesterday, right...?
Did the anchor misread the date?

This doesn't matter much, but it bugs me that Aigis points everyone to the news... which implies she noticed something off about it. Then she questions if the anchor speaking afterwards was a mistake or not. That's probably just a quibble I have though.

Sheesh... Is that all?
Even they make mistakes every once in a while. It's nothing.

Well, looks like a false alarm.
So far, I'd agree.
But something felt... off...
*yawn* It's late... We should call it a night.
What a lame finish to our last day in the dorm... *sigh*
Um... Would it be alright if I returned to my room?
I have to prepare to move tomorrow...
Sure. Good night, Aigis.
Niiiiight...

The day he fell asleep... We brought him back to our dorm, fear beginning to well up within us.
And the next morning, our fears became reality, and he was lost to us.
For some time after that, I fell into depression, and began seeing the same dream night after night...

When he was alive, I promised to protect him, and I made that my reason for living.
That promise is gone... unfulfilled.
Then one day, my sadness suddenly left me, as if a prison door had swung open.
I stopped dreaming... and I no longer required sleep.

Can I really continue living like this...?

For the first time, we see someone properly acknowledge Philemon's butterfly floating around. Which makes it abundantly clear it's gonna be important at some point...

Especially since it lands on Aigis' hands and then disappears just before the building begins to shake.

Aigis, are you awake!?
Yes I am. The door is open.

Has something happened?
It's not... another enemy, is it!?
It's hard to describe... The lobby floor opened up, and--
Anyway, we need to hurry to the lounge!
Understood!

That must have been the day when the incident actually began.

That Which Comes From The Darkness

Everyone...!
Keep your guard up, Aigis! It doesn't seem human...!

A shadow...? No, this is...

You're... Aigis...?
......?

Yes... for now.
I need you to provide backup for Aigis.
All right.
Who are you? Why are you doing this...?

Now that we have her name, it's only fitting to let you know that Metis here is voiced by Stephanie Sheh. It's legitimately great that we've got someone new for Metis rather than having someone from before Mona Marshall do it.

Protect me...?

What are you saying!?
I won't let you hurt them!
Then I have no choice...
For your sake... I'll have to force you to back down.

Metis 「Hierophant Psyche」

Unavoidable Battle (Reincarnation)

So, our first fight in the Answer is against this Metis who's apparently an Anti-Shadow Weapon like Aigis, huh?

As you'd expect from the first fight, this isn't particularly difficult or anything.

...Even though Aigis is noticably missing a lot of her skills from before. I get why and all, but it's really blatant because Aigis is now a lower level than she even starts at in The Journey.

Our inventory leaves something to be desired too, but we won't be touching it here anyway.

We'll just be hitting Metis until the fight ends. It's the first fight, there's no grand strategy or anything.

Metis doesn't even hit particularly hard, so it's not like we're in much danger.

It's not strictly necessary, but Kill Rush and Swift Strike are useful in getting things done quicker at least.

As you'd no doubt expect from a named character, Metis does have a bit of additional dialogue when she gets low on HP...

Though it's not exactly inspired or anything.

Psyche!

Thanks to a lucky crit on her part, we both get to learn that her Persona is Psyche, the youngest daughter of the Sicilian king and queen. She was so beautiful that even Cupid fell in love with, and eventually married, her. Here, she's a bizarre cage-like woman wearing a long flowing white dress that has... a large red butterfly for a head.

Psyche means both "butterfly" and "soul" in Greek, so it's kind of an on-the-nose pun. It's also why a lot of depictions of Psyche give her butterfly wings.

Oh and this fight is functionally unlosable. If you drop to below 25% HP, Metis stops attacking entirely. It'd be theoretically possible to lose if she gets a crit while you're downed or something but don't count on it.

Metis gives a lot of EXP for the first fight, but this is pretty much just for show of course.

It does give us a peek at Aigis' stats though - notably her social ones are fixed and I appreciate she has low Academics but maxed Courage.

That she gets the Persona fusion level limit message is an unusual one though...

Much stronger... than expected...

...Unfortunately, despite winning the unlosable fight, Metis promptly no sells it.

I have no choice.

Huh? Is this...?

Metis begins to glow and light up as we get this awkward sideshot that puts her butterfly mask front and center.

And the we get an even closer zoom in as we can see the mask fill up with silhouettes of even more butterflies. They're really using Psyche's second meaning a lot.

Is that... Orgia Mode?

Not quite the same as Aigis' Orgia Mode, since Metis gets to generate an energy weapon out of it.

A giant whip that she uses on... Aigis.

Aigis!
No way!

With Aigis downed from that, Metis turns her attention to...

Amada!

Throwing a chair at Ken that hits him into the screen in the middle of the room.

So we've seen Metis beat the poo poo out of Ken in the first anime scene, implied that she beat the poo poo out of Ken (and others) when she first turned up... and now she's beating the poo poo out of Ken again.

Arf! Arf! Arf!

I think the start of The Answer looked at the 4th of October and decided to finally give some catharsis to anyone, and everyone, who thought Ken got off light.

My body...

Hindrances will be removed.

Still downed and unable to move, Aigis begins flashing back again...

Her mind is racing about one thing in particular.

Or, rather, one person. The recent past combined with Metis' threat...

NO!

I WON'T LET THAT HAPPEN ANYMORE!

For once, Aigis DOESN'T try to use Orgia Mode herself in a fight scene.

She's still gonna use Pallas Athena though. Or, rather, that's what it looks like but...

Athena's evolving into someone very familiar.

What's this?
Don't tell me...

I do like how Orpheus can be seen reflected in Metis' mask at least. That's cool, even if Orpheus being here at all is a gigantic disappointment. I'd rather it stayed as Athena, personally.

Though it does make for a sort of neat thematic moment that makes it really clear what the deal is gonna be.

And we do get to see part of Orpheus' design that fits into his myth in an unusual way. Namely he's using that giant rear end subwoofer that's otherwise just sorta there.

That's enough to disarm Metis and knock her off-balance...

And temporarily remove the mask too.

Whoa! What the...?

Sis...ter...

Aigis!
Hey! Hey! Hey...!

Now that everything's calmed down and Metis isn't an immediate threat, Aigis' still sorta overheated and collapses.

End

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I like the idea of the Answer, it's kind of neat to explore how everyone felt after the player character's sudden exit. The execution, though, is mixed at best.

Also, where did you put the Portable version of March 3-5th?