Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
the demographics of people who don't vote sway heavily towards being more progressive and it's not because you're not excited it's because you're lazy and voting is not a priority

the old conservatives on the other hand love three things: god, walmart, and voting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
there are as many millennials as boomers but you can't even turn out more than 17% while boomers+ can turnout 60%, and that was during the primary when you had the man himself churning out votes

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
there is a real, recent boost in young voter participation: the local dem party shifts are proof of that because their pathetically small voting base can be easily rocked by even a tiny influx of young voters. but goddamn learn to loving vote early and often

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

MizPiz posted:

You mean for people like Schumer and Cuomo? Yeah, I'm going to really hit the streets for candidates like them.

it's alright, statistics show that even with the progressive demigod on board you would've have turned out more than 17%

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Rand alPaul posted:

loving millennials not overcoming voter ID laws and voter registration deadlines that wouldn't fly in developing nations.

What a bunch of apathetic jerks.

hosed up if true, unfortunately clinton won more open primaries and the voter ID laws are more designed to gently caress over minorities than millennials although there is plenty of overlap

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
the biggest thing to overcome apparently is the front door

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

rudatron posted:

Both parties fall over themselves to cater to the values and interests of boomers, push and shove out any possible internal opposition telling them that that might not be the best idea, and lo and behold boomers have higher voting rates

oh but no, the idea of trends and forces having a dominant effect is too offensive to you, the answer is of course ~laziness~, we don't need to ask 'why' here, we don't need to think this one through, we've found our moralistic bullshit answer, let's go with it

very conveniently, this answer lets you shift blame from a political system that has failed to engage a sizable proportion of the voting base, onto the voting base that failed to get excited by more-of-the-same failed policies

great answer if that meant that bernie garnered awesome millennial voter turnout, which he didn't

unless of course, this means that he did not appeal to them

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
it was undoubtedly impressive in that it was higher than before (but they've always been going up) but with those sad numbers it's the equivalent to just being happy that you passed the test after failing miserably

bernie loving sanders gets 17% 17%

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Oh Snapple! posted:

Also doesn't help when you have registration deadlines weeks-to-months in advance of the actual primary date in your state.

didn't help him in places where the primary deadlines were more reasonable, or were non-existent

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

a helpful bear posted:

guys im just reporting in from the other timeline and it tuirns out president martin o'malley has declared it required that thursdays are 'go topless' day and we have parties all the time. we just cleared judge jeff daniels in a historical 100-0 bipartisan vote and all the beer taxes have been eliminated

is this the timeline where ISIS is defeated by o'malley's abs

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
or is this the timeline where we have colonized the solar system after president chafee's move to metric emboldens the scientific world to make amazing discoveries

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
it's a case of self-hating and also observation because i fell down the rabbit hole looking at turnout rates

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Condiv posted:

i mean, calling millenials lazy is idiotic when they have to make due in a world with worse labor protections and job security, and lower wages than anything boomers have ever had to deal with. millenials have to work much harder than boomers ever had to just to make ends meet, and then they get to deal with a spoiled older generation that ruins everything telling them that they're lazy and don't work hard enough.

i agree with you and i would like to rephrase the word lazy with laziness regarding voting. sorry 4 the confusion

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Condiv posted:

well, the less stable your life is, the less likely you are to vote. lets not forget there are a lot of voter suppression tactics used against young people specifically, not just minorities. for example, republicans love to try to make students vote from their home county instead of the one they reside in. then they love to purge them from voter rolls in their home counties cause "they don't live there". etc. etc.

this undoubtedly happens in democratic states too cause dems don't want to swing too far left

not sure how true this is as the turnout rates in the rust belt states were fine, and their whole argument is that our lives are a mess and we are dying. young person voter suppression does not account for such a low rate of voting, especially since student focused suppression only covers ages 18-22. after that you're hitting every demographic

the rates are low. they are low in spite of suppression, not because of them

e: i totally hosed up the last sentence please it's late and i didn't get sleep. i am cranky

logikv9 has issued a correction as of 05:28 on Apr 9, 2017

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

comedyblissoption posted:

where are you getting these statistics? are these 18-21 year olds? are you looking at what % of voters were millenials instead of the sane way to look at it which is the participation rate of millenials? literally everything i've read shows a 50% turnout of all potential millenial voters in november.

https://ww2.kqed.org/lowdown/2016/11/14/how-millennials-voted/

i'm only talking about the primary dingus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
everybody votes in the general but nobody votes in the primary, like how nobody votes for gov, rep, senator, mayor, local delivery man, milk man, water boy,

• Locked thread