Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.
Edit: Not funny on a new page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Rhyno posted:

I got waaaay too into the Matrix when it came out so my dad bought me a "Philosophy and the Matrix" book and jesus christ the author was so far up his own rear end.

I had this assigned in my phil 101 class ages ago

it was, predictably, trash

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

RandallODim posted:

*sprints into thread* OH poo poo HERE'S MY CHANCE

A couple friends and I actually are doing a podcast that aspires to that kind of analysis; our second episode was all about Jack Kirby, and got some into considering the deeper ethical/philosophical underpinnings of Kirby's work, and our most recent episode was all about what makes the comic form work specifically with memoirs, so it isn't just the philosophy of superheroes, but it's comics & intellectualism and we occasionally name-drop important thinkers. We also end up bullshitting about dumb comics poo poo too, like whether the yellow and brown or the yellow and blue is a better Wolverine costume, but even that's at least pseudo-intellectual, so, uh, check us out?

I will give this a try. Thanks!

Loving punchman comics and thinking about them shouldn't be mutually exclusive

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Thinking too much about media is fine if you're not an idiot who's setting out to come up with a hot take.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
The Newbury Comics place at the local mall is having a buy 1 get 1 for all comics $3.99 and under. Despite not having digital codes. I couldn't resist and bought New-Super Man #2-6 (they didn't have #1) and New Avengers #18 (they didn't have #17).

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

OhFunny posted:

The Newbury Comics place at the local mall is having a buy 1 get 1 for all comics $3.99 and under. Despite not having digital codes. I couldn't resist and bought New-Super Man #2-6 (they didn't have #1) and New Avengers #18 (they didn't have #17).

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Yes officer that is correct. Comic books are stealing my money. Please send the SWAT team ASAP.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

OhFunny posted:

Yes officer that is correct. Comic books are stealing my money. Please send the SWAT team ASAP.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

And you thought she was just a comic book character

https://twitter.com/saiIupthesun/status/849350436545069056

:eyepop:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
lol mark waid got his twitter account deleted I guess for threatening someone

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

"Did I do that?"
-Jude Terror

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

site posted:

lol mark waid got his twitter account deleted I guess for threatening someone

You have to try really hard to get twitter's "moderation" to notice you.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

RIP Don Rickles

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Lurdiak posted:

You have to try really hard to get twitter's "moderation" to notice you.

From what I heard he deleted his own account after going on a fit saying that he will sue BC for libel.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
What a fuckin rear end in a top hat

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
I agree, Jude Terror is an rear end in a top hat for deliberately misrepresenting Waid's statements and being a poo poo-stirring fuckgibbon in general.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Reading Warren Ellis' Exalibur and one of the issues has 4 people listed for pencils, one of those 4 guys vastly over estimates the amount space between people's eyes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Senior Woodchuck posted:

I agree, Jude Terror is an rear end in a top hat for deliberately misrepresenting Waid's statements and being a poo poo-stirring fuckgibbon in general.

Details please?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Unlucky7 posted:

From what I heard he deleted his own account after going on a fit saying that he will sue BC for libel.

Twitter has been the worst thing for comic writers, as it proves what giant man children they are.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

CharlestheHammer posted:

Twitter has been the worst thing for comic writers, as it proves what giant man children they are.

Sounds like a good thing actually

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

CharlestheHammer posted:

Mark Waid did not need twitter to prove that. His hissy fits over the years is all that is needed.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
If he hadn't left in 1991, could Claremont have continued on X-Men indefinitely, or would he have eventually decided to leave on his own terms? I've read about some of his plans for the X books going into the 1990s and I'm curious about how long he could have realistically stuck around.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wheat Loaf posted:

If he hadn't left in 1991, could Claremont have continued on X-Men indefinitely, or would he have eventually decided to leave on his own terms? I've read about some of his plans for the X books going into the 1990s and I'm curious about how long he could have realistically stuck around.

some manga artists continue a series for decades, with weekly releases and doing the writing and the art.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Wheat Loaf posted:

If he hadn't left when he did Claremont almost certainly would have been gone inside of two years, I suspect; he left because (IIRC) he was no longer really being listened to, his ideas were being overridden because the artists wanted to do something different, and he saw which way the wind was blowing. Especially given the deathgrip that editorial started exercising over the X-Books after the Image exodus, I don't think Chris could have been the good soldier that they wanted; he'd've quit later or been fired.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Everything you need to know about Wolverine

quote:

Across 40 years of comics and six films, this fan-favorite X-Men character has a lot of tangled history. Here’s a primer on Wolverine, so you can sound like a bona fide expert if this classic mutant superhero ever comes up in conversation.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

At least one of those is 100% true. The rest of them would be, in a perfect world.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I recently read a short story that Chris Roberson wrote about 15 years ago, set in Paris in 1916. The mysterious masked adventurer Judex encounters an American couple visiting France so the husband - the indifferent Dr Wayne - can invest an inheritance he's recently come into while his wife, Martha, who he neglects, spends much of her time away from him at balls and cabarets while he is consumed with his business dealings.

Judex resolves to locate a diamond they've lost and in the course of his investigation, discovers that Martha has had an affair with and become pregnant by a dashing American fighter pilot flying with the French air force, but she resolves to return to America with her husband and allow him to believe the baby is his, to ensure it receives the best upbringing possible.

And that pilot who fathered the future Bruce Wayne was one Kent Allard.

That kind of thing always cracks me up. :D

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/melgillman/status/849981090777505792

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I don't understand why someone can't make a genuine point about something like this without making up a headline like that which has no basis in reality. I mean there's all kinds of actual things that are true that you can say about those comments being wrong without making something like that up.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Both parts of that headline are true, though?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

CapnAndy posted:

They are true but they don't really relate to one another unless the Hugo Awards are awarded to the best selling titles.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Madkal posted:

They are true but they don't really relate to one another unless the Hugo Awards are awarded to the best selling titles.

I bet there's a quantifiable effect on sales when you slap a "Hugo Award Nominee" or even better "Hugo Award Winner" sticker on a trade paperback.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Skwirl posted:

I bet there's a quantifiable effect on sales when you slap a "Hugo Award Nominee" or even better "Hugo Award Winner" sticker on a trade paperback.

Possibly. It kind of reminds me of shows like Arrested Development which would get nominated (and sometimes even win) a bunch of awards but were never big ratings winners and were always on the brink of cancellation.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, look at Chuck Tingle

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Chuck was popular way before the Hugo nom

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

CapnAndy posted:

Nobody blamed sales being low on Black Panther or Ms Marvel. Ms Marvel is constantly cited as one of their big hits and has been reported to sell extremely well digitally and Black Panther is a classic hero and not one of the heroes they're trying to put a new spin on.

Also even if it were true I'm not sure what correlation an award has to sales. Is an award supposed to justify that a book with low sales gets to continue?

Skwirl posted:

I would think it's a negligible effect. Anyone that would be impressed by that is probably already reading those books if they are interested based on the publicity they've already had.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

X-O posted:

I would think it's a negligible effect. Anyone that would be impressed by that is probably already reading those books if they are interested based on the publicity they've already had.

Dude, the Hugos are like the Oscars of speculative fiction. Nomination does tend to lead to a spike in sales. Winning tends to lead to a larger spike.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

haitfais posted:

Dude, the Hugos are like the Oscars of speculative fiction. Nomination does tend to lead to a spike in sales. Winning tends to lead to a larger spike.

Yes, but Ms Marvel already has a Hugo win and multiple Eisner noms under its belt from previous years and there was so much publicity around Coates on Black Panther I'm pretty sure that all of the people paying attention know about that book already. I don't think in this particular case there's going to be much needle moving for those titles. Now Vision might benefit as it was also on the list.

Plus I don't think awards really help move singles much at all. Does anyone have any data on that? I'd imagine it's much more effective for trades and collections than it is singles. And while that will help a book it's not going to save something with anemic sales in singles.

Of course really all sales stuff is speculation at best these days without any hard digital numbers and knowing how much of a profit difference there is between a physical sale and digital sale.

X-O fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Apr 8, 2017

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Here are the previous winners of the prestigious Hugo Award for Best Graphic Story:
2009: Girl Genius volume 8
2010: Girl Genius volume 9
2011: Girl Genius volume 10
2012: Digger
2013: Saga Volume 1
2014: This specific xkcd strip
2015: Ms. Marvel Volume 1
2016: Sandman: Overture

This kind of of a weird list, and I'd be curious to hear which of these got any sort of bump in recognition based on the Hugos. Maybe I'm just in my own bubble, where everyone ('everyone') already knows that Ms. Marvel (and Saga, and Sandman, and TNC on Black Panther) exists, and alternately have never heard of Digger despite it winning a Hugo. I feel like Eisner Awards have been pretty well demonstrated not to move the needle significantly for anything, but Eisners are for-comics-by-comics, and Hugos is at least a different set of people paying attention. Who knows? Looking at the more established Best Novel category I've barely heard of half of the winning authors, never mind their winning novels (or the nominees) so I'm clearly not in the same demo as the people following Hugos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Girl Genius is just the worst thing.

• Locked thread