Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I hadn't heard of Digger until my girlfriend got me the omnibus as a present, figuring correctly that since I like wombats and I like comics I'd like it. It's a wonderfully original fantasy world with some really interesting characters and I'd recommend it to anybody.

It was originally a webcomic so it's easy enough to check out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I hadn't heard of Digger until my girlfriend got me the omnibus as a present, figuring correctly that since I like wombats and I like comics I'd like it. It's a wonderfully original fantasy world with some really interesting characters and I'd recommend it to anybody.

It was originally a webcomic so it's easy enough to check out.
It looks pretty charming, but I question just how big of a Hugo Bump exists if I had never heard of it before looking up the Hugo Award Winners, and you hadn't until you received it as a gift. Most of the winners/nominees fall pretty heavily into the "you've already heard of them / you still haven't heard of them" binary (Sandman, Fables, Saga, Y the Last Man, Locke & Key, Batman, Ms. Marvel vs. Girl Genius, Schlock Mercenary, Digger, Meathouse Man, Full Frontal Nerdity)

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Lurdiak posted:

Girl Genius is just the worst thing.

Even admitting I enjoyed the early bits as a guilty pleasure that was never even close to being award winning material. But I wouldn't be surprised if steampunk anything got a big boost with the Hugo crowd...

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Overture probably got it purely because if Gaiman's on the ballot, they just throw out the other votes. All 3 of them.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Edge & Christian posted:

Here are the previous winners of the prestigious Hugo Award for Best Graphic Story:
2009: Girl Genius volume 8
2010: Girl Genius volume 9
2011: Girl Genius volume 10
2012: Digger
2013: Saga Volume 1
2014: This specific xkcd strip
2015: Ms. Marvel Volume 1
2016: Sandman: Overture

Holy poo poo lol

Gaz-L posted:

Overture probably got it purely because if Gaiman's on the ballot, they just throw out the other votes. All 3 of them.

They do. Dan Harmon was nominated for a Hugo for an episode of Community. He went to the reception to sign in and when the receptionist saw what category he was nominated for she literally said "I'm sorry". Harmon asked why, and the receptionist said "Neil Gaiman is nominated for that too, and he always wins"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Girl Genius is just the worst thing.

I think you'll find this is demonstrably false.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Can't be worse than Gold Diggers.

Edit: I know that's not the same thing as the Digger that was nominated, thank God, I just thought "What's the worst comic I've ever read" and Gold Diggers was the answer.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Guy Goodbody posted:

They do. Dan Harmon was nominated for a Hugo for an episode of Community.

I thought the Hugo Awards were for science-fiction and fantasy stuff. :confused:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I thought the Hugo Awards were for science-fiction and fantasy stuff. :confused:

Have you not watched Community?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Community has some weird episodes.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

Have you not watched Community?

I have not. I don't really watch many sitcoms, to be honest.

Anyway, I wouldn't have room for them on my shelf next to all five seasons of Sliders. :v:

(Thought you may appreciate a bit of a deep cut.)

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Apr 8, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
LoL.

But yeah, Community has an episode where the cast fights themselves from an evil alternate reality.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Yeah, I assumed maybe they were nominated for the Dungeons & Dragons episode, but the nomination was for an episode where some of the cast were having a housewarming party and agreed to roll a die to determine who had to go pick up pizza. The episode then broke off into seven divergent timelines, so I guess that qualifies as speculative fiction.

But yeah, Abed the character who imagines the alternate realities later imagines himself at war with himself from "The Darkest Timeline" across the rest of the season, and then in the fourth "gas leak" season they start doing a full-on invasion of the Darkest Timeline because it is the gas leak season.

Anyway the point is, there are a lot of things that get nominated for Hugos that aren't strictly in the niche of "sci-fi/fantasy" if they turn out to be popular with sci-fi/fantasy people and are also kind of speculative? Other weird (at least to me) outliers include movies like Yellow Submarine, The Muppet Movie, The Right Stuff(????), Big, Apollo 13(?????), most of Pixar's filmography,Being John Malkovich, Hidden Figures, episodes of Lost and My Little Pony, etc.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Apr 8, 2017

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

SF/F nerds who are almost strictly into it in the form of novels and prose fiction have a weird relationship with comics, and that's the audience mostly represented by the Hugos.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Apr 8, 2017

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Edge & Christian posted:

Anyway the point is, there are a lot of things that get nominated for Hugos that aren't strictly in the niche of "sci-fi/fantasy" if they turn out to be popular with sci-fi/fantasy people and are also kind of speculative? Other weird (at least to me) outliers include movies like Yellow Submarine, The Muppet Movie, The Right Stuff(????), Big, Apollo 13(?????), most of Pixar's filmography,Being John Malkovich, Hidden Figures, episodes of Lost and My Little Pony, etc.

I feel like I need to make a week out of just diving into some of these oddities in their nominations. This sounds scatterbrained and fun as hell.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Lightning Lord posted:

SF/F nerds who are almost strictly into it in the form of novels and prose fiction have a weird relationship with comics, and that's the audience mostly represented by the Hugos.

It's a shame, there are some great sci fi comics. Like Spider-man.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

I honestly am really not sure why the Hugos bothers to give awards to non-prose fiction stuff, they're so bad at it.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Considering how much comics were influenced by science fiction pulp stories and many early creators were complete sci fi nerds you would think there would be a closer relationship between comics and the hugos.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Edge & Christian posted:

Here are the previous winners of the prestigious Hugo Award for Best Graphic Story:
2009: Girl Genius volume 8
2010: Girl Genius volume 9
2011: Girl Genius volume 10
2012: Digger
2013: Saga Volume 1
2014: This specific xkcd strip
2015: Ms. Marvel Volume 1
2016: Sandman: Overture

This kind of of a weird list, and I'd be curious to hear which of these got any sort of bump in recognition based on the Hugos. Maybe I'm just in my own bubble, where everyone ('everyone') already knows that Ms. Marvel (and Saga, and Sandman, and TNC on Black Panther) exists, and alternately have never heard of Digger despite it winning a Hugo. I feel like Eisner Awards have been pretty well demonstrated not to move the needle significantly for anything, but Eisners are for-comics-by-comics, and Hugos is at least a different set of people paying attention. Who knows? Looking at the more established Best Novel category I've barely heard of half of the winning authors, never mind their winning novels (or the nominees) so I'm clearly not in the same demo as the people following Hugos.

I'm not going to pretend I can argue with this. Objection withdrawn.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Realised I haven't checked on the progress of Miracleman Silver Age in a hell of a time. Did they ever fuckin release any of it?

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Nope.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

My personal hot take re: Miracle Man is that a significant chunk of the audience read the collections when they were released and had a fairly nonplussed reaction. Sort of a 'that's what people were making a big deal over' thing.

Just like showing people who like to watch movies without necessarily being 'film nerds' Citizen Kane or Alien or Jaws, the things that made those works so striking on release have largely been absorbed into the general language of the medium to the point where they don't seem as impactful today.

(That said, Jaws absolutely still holds up.)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

NorgLyle posted:

My personal hot take re: Miracle Man is that a significant chunk of the audience read the collections when they were released and had a fairly nonplussed reaction. Sort of a 'that's what people were making a big deal over' thing.

Just like showing people who like to watch movies without necessarily being 'film nerds' Citizen Kane or Alien or Jaws, the things that made those works so striking on release have largely been absorbed into the general language of the medium to the point where they don't seem as impactful today.

(That said, Jaws absolutely still holds up.)

People who are non-plussed on Alien are not people I want to meet.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Ripley's underpants are still as striking as ever.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
My personal hot take re Miracle Man is that Marvel completely hosed up the release so bad. They started off by releasing a Marvelman Classic collection, which no one wanted. The entire point is that Marvelman was a lovely, uninspired, generic, ripoff comic. The old Marvelman stuff is maybe of historical interest to MiracleMan fans, but the actual run of Miracleman contained a Marvelman reprint that I think satisfies all of that interest by itself. But if you aren't familiar with Miracleman, Marvelman is just a lovely old comic. Every comic shop near me was trying to sell those Marvelman Classic Tpbs for 3 dollars each until very recently, I think they all just eventually gave up and threw them away. Marvelman Classic was probably the most effective possible anti-advertisement for Miracleman

After that, Marvel actually starts releasing the Miracleman comics. But instead of just releasing them in nice trades, they released them as a monthly comic. Which by itself is a baffling choice, but worst off is that it was super expensive, like 5 dollars an issue. And they justified that extra expense by including a ton of extra content nobody actually wants. Here's Miracleman Issue 1, 20 pages of comics and then 20 more pages of editorials about how great Miracleman is and uncolored art of the comic you just read, five dollars please.

And then when they finally release it in trades, it's hardcover only and thirty goddamn dollars for four issues. It was the most absurd ripoff.

I am a huge Miracleman fan, Miracleman is probably my favorite Western comic, I was ecstatic when I heard Marvel was going to be reprinting it. I bought the first two issues and then gave up, because the releasing and pricing were ridiculous.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Also I wasn't too hot on the recoloring job, that pretty much killed my interest in re-buying a comic I'd already read before. It wasn't Killing Joke bad or anything, but it was, as with all modern recolorings, way browner and more muted.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Wasn't there a rumour that Marvel hadn't got the Miracleman legal situation completely nailed down like they thought they had and that's why it's stopped

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
.....does that mean they haven't released any issues of Silver Age yet?

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Escobarbarian posted:

.....does that mean they haven't released any issues of Silver Age yet?

Yeah, none of the actual issues people actually want have been out.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Starsnostars posted:

Wasn't there a rumour that Marvel hadn't got the Miracleman legal situation completely nailed down like they thought they had and that's why it's stopped

It comes up a lot and nobody at Marvel will respond to those questions.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

He's a white man so it's no big surprise they're not interested in talking about his sales figures.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
They stopped literally one issue off of finishing up the reprints, I don't buy that they did that willingly.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh and when they have retailer conference calls our group chats MiracleMan questions are not allowed.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
lol

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Wait, so what is the difference between Marvelman and Miracleman? Which one does the trade "Miracleman: A Dream of Flying" belong to? That's been sitting on my wishlist for a year.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Schneider Heim posted:

Wait, so what is the difference between Marvelman and Miracleman? Which one does the trade "Miracleman: A Dream of Flying" belong to? That's been sitting on my wishlist for a year.

Marvelman is the character's original name. Miracleman is the name Eclipse branded him with when they began publishing the character in North America.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Rhyno posted:

Marvelman is the character's original name. Miracleman is the name Eclipse branded him with when they began publishing the character in North America.

Okay, but Guy Goodbody's post says Marvel's Miracleman release is awful because of the ridiculous pricing, or does that only apply to hard copies? The ebook is for $10.99 only, which doesn't seem bad.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Schneider Heim posted:

Okay, but Guy Goodbody's post says Marvel's Miracleman release is awful because of the ridiculous pricing, or does that only apply to hard copies? The ebook is for $10.99 only, which doesn't seem bad.

Okay this is where it gets stupid.

The character has existed for decades, originally they were just repurposing Captain Marvel stories for the UK market. In the 80's Alan Moore revived the character, wrote it for a short time and then handed it off to Neil Gaiman who never got to finish his run. In recent years Todd McFarland decided he owned MM, that ended up blowing up in his face and Marvel ended up buying the character. So instead of just re-releasing all the original issues they instead released some overpriced hardcovers of the various "Classic" stories that not a single person on Earth wanted. And then they started re-printing the Moore stories as overpriced single issues and then subsequently as overpriced hardcovers. Then the singles stalled out with no explanation given. It's been over a year since the released an issue and it's hilarious because they have six 100% finished issues they can still release AND #25 was written, drawn and inked 20 years ago so they already have a "new" issue in the can.

The whole thing has become a clusterfuck and Marvel's total lack of commenting on what's going on isn't helping. It is wildly speculated that something has come up and Marvel doesn't actually own the character.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Rhyno posted:

Okay this is where it gets stupid.

The character has existed for decades, originally they were just repurposing Captain Marvel stories for the UK market. In the 80's Alan Moore revived the character, wrote it for a short time and then handed it off to Neil Gaiman who never got to finish his run. In recent years Todd McFarland decided he owned MM, that ended up blowing up in his face and Marvel ended up buying the character. So instead of just re-releasing all the original issues they instead released some overpriced hardcovers of the various "Classic" stories that not a single person on Earth wanted. And then they started re-printing the Moore stories as overpriced single issues and then subsequently as overpriced hardcovers. Then the singles stalled out with no explanation given. It's been over a year since the released an issue and it's hilarious because they have six 100% finished issues they can still release AND #25 was written, drawn and inked 20 years ago so they already have a "new" issue in the can.

The whole thing has become a clusterfuck and Marvel's total lack of commenting on what's going on isn't helping. It is wildly speculated that something has come up and Marvel doesn't actually own the character.

Comic licensing issues are always weird :o

Now it doesn't seem appealing to start reading the book

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Other posters have also speculated that the fan reaction was lukewarm. For 20 years people have been talking about how amazing MM is, calling it one of the best comic books ever but when it was finally available to read legally again all these people who bought into the hype were massively dissappointed. Also the art in the middle issues of the Moore run is total rear end.

• Locked thread