Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Rhyno posted:

Okay this is where it gets stupid.

The character has existed for decades, originally they were just repurposing Captain Marvel stories for the UK market. In the 80's Alan Moore revived the character, wrote it for a short time and then handed it off to Neil Gaiman who never got to finish his run. In recent years Todd McFarland decided he owned MM, that ended up blowing up in his face and Marvel ended up buying the character. So instead of just re-releasing all the original issues they instead released some overpriced hardcovers of the various "Classic" stories that not a single person on Earth wanted. And then they started re-printing the Moore stories as overpriced single issues and then subsequently as overpriced hardcovers. Then the singles stalled out with no explanation given. It's been over a year since the released an issue and it's hilarious because they have six 100% finished issues they can still release AND #25 was written, drawn and inked 20 years ago so they already have a "new" issue in the can.

The whole thing has become a clusterfuck and Marvel's total lack of commenting on what's going on isn't helping. It is wildly speculated that something has come up and Marvel doesn't actually own the character.

as someone who is incredibly hyped for the (at this point) minute possibility of new Miracleman, this would be the funniest loving thing in the entire world. Marvel got their big comic publisher dick out and moved heaven and earth to figure this poo poo out on behalf of Gaiman, and no amount of Avengers movie money and hot-shot Disney lawyers can fix the colossal, mind-shattering fuckup that is ownership of a 30 year old comic book based off of a 60 year old Captain Marvel ripoff. Seriously I remember reading all about the release and the legal battle and when Marvel finally announced their purchasing of the rights, and especially in 2013 when they started releasing the good stuff, I thought 'man in 10 years when there's enough distance this will make a great movie or something, now that the story is over". the story is never over, there will never be enough distance.

at this point I half expect Marvel to wheel out Mick Anglo's corpse and use it like a ventriloquist puppet in court to prove their case

Schneider Heim posted:

Comic licensing issues are always weird :o

Now it doesn't seem appealing to start reading the book

You should still read it if you can find it. I read it through means before Marvel even got their hands on it and quite liked it, if you're an Alan Moore fan it's definitely part of his canon that deserves to be remembered alongside stuff like Watchmen, V for Vendetta, From Hell, etc. Alan Moore's Miracleman is a complete story. The Gaiman stuff is also worth reading, even if it's incredibly obviously incomplete. I secretly wonder if, since it's been so loving long since he last wrote it, if Gaiman could genuinely finish Miracleman in a way that would be satisfying to anyone. He's a very different guy now, and while he's a great writer, it's probably pretty hard to come back to something after that long a break. Or worse, he could decide that he needs to make it a treatise on The Trump Era like every other piece of art in 2017. Even the greatest of writers would make that hacky as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
One person who is fairly well connected with Marvel staffers has said that nobody at Disney gives a poo poo about MM, they see no viability in the character outside comics so the Disney legal team has no incentive to do anything. This is all on Marvel's comic division to sort out.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Rhyno posted:

One person who is fairly well connected with Marvel staffers has said that nobody at Disney gives a poo poo about MM, they see no viability in the character outside comics so the Disney legal team has no incentive to do anything. This is all on Marvel's comic division to sort out.

if this ends with anything other than a to-the-death knife fight between Gaiman and McFarlane to once and for all resolve all their issues, I'll be a bit disappointed. Because deep down, I know that if anyone is actually pressing this issue legally, it's Todd McFarlane.

I don't blame Disney one bit though; Miracleman would make a poo poo movie, and I don't even think "well it would be a great HBO miniseries" is true in this case. It's a comics thing through and through.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Rhyno posted:

Other posters have also speculated that the fan reaction was lukewarm. For 20 years people have been talking about how amazing MM is, calling it one of the best comic books ever but when it was finally available to read legally again all these people who bought into the hype were massively dissappointed. Also the art in the middle issues of the Moore run is total rear end.
Moore's Miracleman still stands up today, and serves as an important early chapter in How Alan Moore Ruined DC Forever. It is a shame they switched from Leach - especially since, ironically, they did so to get the books out on time.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I have a question towards this.

My assumption has been that DC has always done a much better job at developing a canon for itself. It's the one with stuff like Watchmen, Sandman, Preacher, Kingdom Come, The Killing Joke, Y: The Last Man that are--fairly or not--considered these prestige titles that you've consistently been able to find on a bookstore's shelf for the last twenty years and indefinitely in the future.

Marvel on the other hand doesn't really seem to have any of that. Even something like Truth which was this highly acclaimed and incredibly accessible work is out of print. There's a few things like Alias, Runaways, Marvels, and Born Again, but they don't really seem to stack against DC and Vertigo.

So I guess my question is two things: Is my assumption correct? From your experience, does Marvel give a poo poo about having something similar?

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Timeless Appeal posted:

I have a question towards this.

My assumption has been that DC has always done a much better job at developing a canon for itself. It's the one with stuff like Watchmen, Sandman, Preacher, Kingdom Come, The Killing Joke, Y: The Last Man that are--fairly or not--considered these prestige titles that you've consistently been able to find on a bookstore's shelf for the last twenty years and indefinitely in the future.

Marvel on the other hand doesn't really seem to have any of that. Even something like Truth which was this highly acclaimed and incredibly accessible work is out of print. There's a few things like Alias, Runaways, Marvels, and Born Again, but they don't really seem to stack against DC and Vertigo.

So I guess my question is two things: Is my assumption correct? From your experience, does Marvel give a poo poo about having something similar?

Marvel's tried having a secondary line in the past, but it hasn't generally worked out for them. Their greatest success on that level was probably the MAX line, since that was the home of Alias and Ennis' legendary Punisher run. Otherwise, in terms of publishing books that aren't straight Marvel comics, that's not really their thing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah, every time Marvel's launched a sub line it hasn't lasted very long. Their biggest success wasn't Max though, it was the Epic line. DC's no better though, other than Vertigo none of their sub lines have had real legs. Helix didn't last long at all and let's face it, Young Animal isn't going to be around in 5 years.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I read the first issue of that new Doom Patrol. It was really bad. Morrison's Doom Patrol was weird, but it was weird because it was overloaded with Morrison's crazy brain and magic. The new Doom Patrol was weird just for the sake of weird.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

That is a really confusing statement.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
The thing that I find interesting about the Vertigo line (as well as a few other titles outside of DC comics proper) is that they seem to attract a different market and therefore do well at book stores (at least in the past when book stores were a thing). The Vertigo stuff, and pre Vertigo stuff like Watchmen and the likes interested the more "mature" reader, that is an older crowd than the usual teenager reading comics in the 90's, so those older readers would be able to pick up those books in book stores and such.
I don't think Marvel has really tried this as they try to focus almost exclusively on their superhero stuff (even with stuff like the Max line) so DC really tapped into a well with their Vertigo line that Marvel just didn't seem interested in following with.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Guy Goodbody posted:

I read the first issue of that new Doom Patrol. It was really bad. Morrison's Doom Patrol was weird, but it was weird because it was overloaded with Morrison's crazy brain and magic. The new Doom Patrol was weird just for the sake of weird.

I would say a lot of Morrison's Doom Patrol was just weird for the sake of being weird, and I even liked most of it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Marvel's been trying to get their own Vertigo going numerous times and it's never really worked out. There's supposedly a whole series of mature readers original graphic novels Marvel commissioned that are sitting in a drawer somewhere and the current publishing initiative has no use for them.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

joehonkie posted:

I would say a lot of Morrison's Doom Patrol was just weird for the sake of being weird, and I even liked most of it.

I think the distinction is that it's weirdness came from somewhere. The storyline about Albert Hoffman's bicycle was part of Morrison's psychedelic magic theories, Flex Mentallo was a representation of the simple, strange masculinity from golden age comics. The weirdness in Morrison's Doom Patrol came from genuinely weird ideas. And it was all pinned down by the central concept of a group of people whose superpowers were disabilities. Or vice versa.

But the new Doom Patrol was just, hey the Chief is playing a synthesizer in the forest and a singing telegram girl just shot somebody, is so crazy.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I don't think Timeless Appeal post was about secondary lines, they meant that DC has iconic, stand alone titles that even the minor fans know, are always available to purchase in any decent LCS and are somewhat of a stepping stone to getting into their main titles while Marvel doesn't seem to have the same traditional issues.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
DC has those huge iconic stories like Watchmen, Kingdom Come, V For Vendetta, the Death of Superman etc. It also never helped that Marvel's TPB offerings were garbage for years and years.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I think you have a point there about DC having these kind of lasting classics that Marvel doesn't seem to produce, and I wonder if the main driver is that these are stories that have a beginning, middle, and end as opposed to the endless churn of serial storytelling. If pressed I can only really think of individual runs (e.g. Kravens last hunt) or OGNs that require some context from the mainline issues (e.g. God loves man kills) for Marvel.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Marvel has a few of those these days, Old Man Logan has been a trade best seller for us since the collected edition dropped. Civil War is another one that sells great for us.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
DC loses the rights to Watchmen if it ever goes out of print, so they had that early lesson in keeping certain TPBs on store shelves forever.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CapnAndy posted:

DC loses the rights to Watchmen if it ever goes out of print, so they had that early lesson in keeping certain TPBs on store shelves forever.

True but there isn't a single other DC series where that applies. It's not like Alex Ross and Mark Waid get the rights to Kingdom Come if it ever stays out of print.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I think if you compare dc (minus vertigo) to marvel, they don't have all that many more classic trades. It's really Vertigo and their approach to storytelling that made the difference. As others have said, Marvel had never had a Vertigo-esque line that strayed any real distance from superhero

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Soonmot posted:

I think if you compare dc (minus vertigo) to marvel, they don't have all that many more classic trades. It's really Vertigo and their approach to storytelling that made the difference. As others have said, Marvel had never had a Vertigo-esque line that strayed any real distance from superhero

Epic.

Pat Mustard
Mar 9, 2013
Isn't the Quran part of the marvel universe now? That seems quite popular.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

CapnAndy posted:

To be fair I don't think DC nor Moore thought that Watchmen would be so popular that it would stay in print forever. If people stopped buying it it would probably go out of print.

As far as non-Vertigo DC mainstays there is Dark Knight Returns and Kingdom Come that come to mind. Some others probably include stuff like All Star Superman, Batman: Year One, Killing Joke, Planetary, Batman: Black and White, the Loeb/Sale Batman stuff, Batman: Black Mirror, Batman and Superman: Earth 1 GN.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Marvel has plenty of books that will always be available and are considered classics. They're just not on that iconic level of DKR or Watchmen. the Death of Jean Dewolf and Kraven's Last Hunt are wonderful classic Spider-man stories. Born Again and the Man Without Fear are the virtual DNA of the character of Daredevil.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

I'd say Marvel banks more on prestige runs. Walt Simonson's Thor, Jim Starlin's Warlock, Frank Miller's Daredevil, etc. The majority of Marvel's "bookstore graphic novel" type stuff that you could hand someone with no context usually spring out of those. Like Born Again, or Elektra Assassin. I know plenty of people who've read those two, deeply enjoyed them and don't give a poo poo about monthly superhero antics. In fact from my experience most people who like comics and say they don't like superheroes who aren't Comic Journal types really mean they don't like or want to follow monthly superhero books.

Yeah, but I don't see Marvel putting out the Last American or Light and Darkness War trades for the bookstore market. In fact most of the notable Epic titles that have been reprinted like Dreadstar or Moonshadow have been through other publishers because Epic's stuff was full-on creator owned.

But yes I'd say Epic qualifies as being similar to "Vertigo and their approach to storytelling". It was definitely part of the 80s Mature Readers Revolution and it's a shame that it's basically been forgotten. It was one of the better things Jim Shooter set in motion.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Apr 10, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Marvel was going to do a full Epic revival but the evolved into Trouble.

Ugh.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Rhyno posted:

Ugh.

Yeah, and it was telling that their lead to reviving their big creator owned mature readers line was a creepy comic about Aunt May's sex life.

Since they can't really do anything non-superhero these days they should have done a Shadowline revival. In fact I'd kind of like to see that for real. But it would probably end up with Doctor Zero causing Civil War III.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

Ugh.

loving lol.

Are any of their Epic stuff on Unlimited, or is it all creator owned?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Man, I keep mistaking Epic for Icon.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

loving lol.

I'd assume none of it is on Unlimited since 99% of it has been reprinted by other companies.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Skwirl posted:

loving lol.

The vast majority of it was creator owned, and not in the company exclusive Vertigo way. Also Unlimited has no mature reader's content, so I don't think the few Epic books that were not creator owned and have been folded into other lines like Elektra Assassin or Elektra Lives Again would be on Unlimited.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Wasn't there a bunch of talk about how Marvel was going to revive the Ultraverse at some point in the past 15 years?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Wasn't there a bunch of talk about how Marvel was going to revive the Ultraverse at some point in the past 15 years?

There's a ton of fans wanting it but Marvel's statement has never changed from the "No, it's never gonna happen."

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
The Gerard Jones Situation sure isn't going to speed things along on that front.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

redbackground posted:

The Gerard Jones Situation sure isn't going to speed things along on that front.

I doubt that even registered on the radar. They need to get every Malibu creator to sign off on a deal where they basically get fuckall in royalties. Nobody's gonna sign on for that.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

I doubt that even registered on the radar. They need to get every Malibu creator to sign off on a deal where they basically get fuckall in royalties. Nobody's gonna sign on for that.

Oh, I know. An Ultraverse revival was never in the cards.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Was it a Malibu comic that had the gimmick of having a cover where the guy had a bullet wound in his chest and they shot the comic with a pistol through it?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Rhyno posted:

That reminds me of when Peter Laird and some loving company I forget were bringing Mirage's original TMNT back in the early 2000s, and Laird was so desperate to make it happen that he personally tried to get all the giant pile of original contributors to TMNT that weren't Eastman to agree to give up all their royalties to everything they created in the TMNT universe for basically a pack of Juicy Fruits, and then when most of them told him to get hosed, he was like "Ok all that poo poo they wrote isn't canon anymore, TMNT IS FULLY BACK BABY!"

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Epic published a lot of creator-owned stuff before trades/bookstore sales were really a thing, and then the rights all reverted to the creators, and got reprinted in a bunch of other places.

Vertigo is kind of going through the same thing right now, as a number of creators are getting the publishing rights back and publshing old Vertigo titles elsewhere.

From a quick glance this has already happened for all of Garth Ennis's books that fell out of print, Kyle Baker, Ron WImberly (Prince of Cats), Sarah Glidden (How to Understand Israel in Sixty Days or Less), Joe Kelly (Bang Tango), Jamie Delano (Outlaw Nation), JM DeMatteis (Brooklyn Dreams), Ed Brubaker/Sean Phillips got the rights back to Scene of the Crime, at which point Vertigo put out a trade of the long-out-of-print Deadenders primarily to block Brubaker/etc. from getting the rights back to that, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Was it a Malibu comic that had the gimmick of having a cover where the guy had a bullet wound in his chest and they shot the comic with a pistol through it?

I can't decide if that's more or less edgy than Kiss mixing their blood into the ink of their comic line.

• Locked thread