Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

CharlestheHammer posted:

Twitter has been the worst thing for comic writers, as it proves what giant man children they are.

Mark Waid did not need twitter to prove that. His hissy fits over the years is all that is needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

RandallODim posted:

gratuitous Batman.

Which one has shirtless batman yelling at us?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

haitfais posted:

I used to speak highly of Quiver and Guardian Devil, but it turns out that was mostly because I was fairly young when I read them. I revisited them when my podcast did a feature episode on Smith a couple years ago, and they didn't hold up at all. They're better than his Batman stuff (his most recent burrito fart is better than his Batman stuff,) but still really sloppy. It's really obvious that they're some of his earliest comic work, because they're hopelessly, hilariously dependent on narration boxes. Especially Guardian Devil. Drawing from memory, so there may be some exaggeration here, but there were pages in that book with more caption boxes than art.

Apart from writing narration like Claremont wrote dialogue in the 70s, his work is guilty of haphazard story structure, inconsistent characterisation, and plot twists so far out of left field that they abruptly change the very genre of the stories, typically in the final chapter. None of that explains his Batman books, which are so completely hosed that I can't begin to explain them.

Guardian devil is also super remember this awesome story? Wasn't it awesome and here it is again!! Also lets include AIDS!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Jedi posted:

Off the top of my head, Waldenbooks, B. Dalton, and Borders no longer exist, and neither do quite a few local mom and pop book stores. To pretend that all of them had incompetent management is disingenuous at best. Amazon was a huge contributor to that - and they sell a Kindle. To pretend that digital sales have no impact also isn't fair. The medium is changing. Just like you'll have difficulty finding a local typewriter repairman - there will come a time that physical books are considered a quaint affectation.

Amazon also owns ComiXology so it wants digital comics to sell more than floppies

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

One dressed as a green lantern and the other as warrior

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Madkal posted:

Grateful Dead never ignited a riot at Woodstock so....

They did however give the rolling stones security guard advice for their free concert

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Mike Allred on Madman
Mike Mignola on hellboy

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Skwirl posted:

I just got Unbeatable Squirrel Girl beats up the Marvel Universe and I really hope that the comic book continues to be a thing forever, because I know as soon as it's cancelled some rear end in a top hat writer will kill Squirrel Girl just to prove how bad rear end his new villain is.

She is going going to be on tv so she is safe for a while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

X-O posted:

It is. I just want to set expectations at the correct level. Don't go in thinking it's the Bendis Daredevil run or Simonson's Thor or some other seminal run of comics. It's just a wacky alternate universe tale that's way more fun than a dumb game tie-in should be. I mean one would probably think a story about Superman going bad and basically becoming a ruthless dictator could be a really grim book but it's so utterly ridiculous at most points that it only occasionally makes you remember "Oh yeah this reality would be horrific wouldn't it?"

gently caress fate

• Locked thread