Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

His superpower seems at least three times more useful than Arm Fall Off Boy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

He's a white man so it's no big surprise they're not interested in talking about his sales figures.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Other posters have also speculated that the fan reaction was lukewarm. For 20 years people have been talking about how amazing MM is, calling it one of the best comic books ever but when it was finally available to read legally again all these people who bought into the hype were massively dissappointed. Also the art in the middle issues of the Moore run is total rear end.
Moore's Miracleman still stands up today, and serves as an important early chapter in How Alan Moore Ruined DC Forever. It is a shame they switched from Leach - especially since, ironically, they did so to get the books out on time.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Edge & Christian posted:

I always wondered if people were accidentally trying to recommend Strong Female Characters, the Beaton/Monardo/Gran series instead of Strong Female Protagonist, and got excited every time someone promised new material from SFP.
Oh this explains so much for me.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I was reading Tales of Suspense and basically dropped off when I got to the first-ever Marvel cross promotion where Iron Man got into a cliffhanger that I then needed to jump to another book to read but there's no support for doing that at all in Unlimited so I would've had to exit out of the entire series, open the other one and scroll to the exact issue I needed, read it, then back out until the next time.

It's a really great service but it desperately needs a task force to sit down and figure out a way of allowing people to create read-lists for storylines/characters/events (if they're not going to do it themselves) so that you don't have to hunt and peck during crossovers and promotions.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

X-O posted:

The MCU is largely where Hydra and Nazis are indistinguishable. In the comics Hydra goes all the way back to ancient Egypt and has been a foe of SHIELD since then
I can tell you didn't manage to make it to the later series of Agents of SHIELD. You lucky bastard.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

X-O posted:

You mean the recent series with Deathlok and all? I didn't finish it. Did the retcon something in that?

Or do you mean the show? Because that really doesn't have anything to do with the movies and hasn't for a long time. Hydra there was revealed to be centuries old but it ultimately doesn't matter outside the narrative of that show. Also that was a pretty great storyline last season.
Yeah I meant the show, which is still MCU even though it's not so closely tied to the movies anymore.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Marvel needs to take a mulligan on a lot of the stuff they've done recently. The next event should establish that Nightmare has been giving everyone nightmares for the past few years, so a lot of the Marvel characters have been kinda sleep deprived. Of course Beast wouldn't normally risk destroying time to make Cyclops feel bad or strand Noh Varr on a planet to die, he had been awake for days before he did that stuff. Iceman is bi, not gay, Iceman being full gay would be dumb, he was just super out of it when he said that stuff. Thor's Hammer isn't sentient, everybody had been up for 36 hours and heard a car radio and thought it was coming from the hammer.
The comic opens on a panel of Captain America holding aloft Mjolnir above the prone bodies of his former fellow heroes, and it pulls back to America, pulls back to the Earth, pulls back to the Solar System, pulls back to the Milky Way, pulls back to the Universe, pulls back to a swirling maelstrom of universes, pulls back to an odd structure surrounding the universe, pulls back and we now see it is the Cosmic Cube, and who is that? It's the Red Skull, staring at the awesome power of the cube in Tales of Suspense #80. The entire history of Marvel since 1959 has been the power-fevered dreams of a deranged Nazi in a rubber mask.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Why is it important to argue that editorial control of a story means that what the writer made subtext out of necessity is not any kind of text at all. Like, the Iliad doesn't have a specific stanza where Patroclus puts his dick inside Achilles, but it's widely understood that the two were complete gaybos.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

In presenting your argument as to why fanfiction must of necessity be an unambiguous term of definite meaning, you've both granted Kirby headcanon "word of God" in his position as a freelance artist contributing to a corporate-owned shared fictional universe, and removed it from Claremont due to him only contributing to a corporate-owned shared fictional universe under contract. While you argue about where one must draw a particular line in the sand you've obliterated another. Either the intent of the creator matters or it does not, regardless of how you classify it.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Box Office Poison is one of my favourites but I found it lost a lot of its impact on a reread due to the spoiler of knowing the ending simply due to how much that's tied into how the story is delivered.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Which one is the Kevin Smith story where Batman pisses himself.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I would've gone with Captain Bonerang.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

You're missing out.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Not having events isn't a great idea because events can be really good. The issue is having them driven by marketing rather than creative.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Okay well congratulations on identifying the clearest example of marketing driving an event.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Edge & Christian posted:

If some combination of word of mouth, marketing, and Chelsea Cain's non-comics audience result in new people coming into your store asking about Mockingbird, you'd be an idiot not to order more copies to satisfy that demand.
One of the big points the essay makes is that there isn't word of mouth because comics can be announced without writers or artists attached, there's no marketing beyond material aimed solely at existing readers, and there's no non-comics audience coming in and asking about a book that isn't out yet because they have no idea that's what's expected of them rather than just turning up and buying what they're interested in when it's out.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Wait, is that where that thing about the droid intentionally popping its top so C3PO and R2D2 don't get separated originally comes from? I always thought it was some weird fan theory.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Everyone burnt the living poo poo out of him on every part of it from suggesting that Eisner was mediocre to minimising being a Jew in the early 20th century, so he deleted it and posted a comprehensive apology that definitely didn't make him look like an even bigger dickhole.

https://twitter.com/dresdencodak/status/721780748248715264

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Supreme #12 came out in April 94, so my guess is in July 94 we were hyping the poo poo out of the collector's market, which is why there's such an emphasis on cover artist and alternate covers in the coverage and there's so many small-run comics in the top 10.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Maximum Carnage owned bones because you could play as Venom, who was like a badass muscle Spider-man with big teeth, while listening to some of the sweetest butt-rock this side of Rock 'n Roll Racing.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Grateful Dead are actually much better than Limp Bizkit.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I'm personally unsurprised that meth makes a crowd more violently excitable than pot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I remember. I like some of his stuff, I just don't have much to say on him because I don't care about him as a person.

• Locked thread