Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I hadn't heard of Digger until my girlfriend got me the omnibus as a present, figuring correctly that since I like wombats and I like comics I'd like it. It's a wonderfully original fantasy world with some really interesting characters and I'd recommend it to anybody.

It was originally a webcomic so it's easy enough to check out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

So my local store has about a dozen Amalgam issues on sale. Anything actually worthwhile?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Madkal posted:

You know, every few months or so we do these "recommend a Batman story" thing and while there is nothing wrong with these lists, I am also kind of curious about some anti-recommend Batman lists. Which stories should people avoid and why.

The Dark Knight series that started after N52.

As for why, well...

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Ghostlight posted:

Which one is the Kevin Smith story where Batman pisses himself.

Widening Gyre. It's worth reading about, just not worth reading.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

This is doing the rounds at the moment. Not necessarily new to a lot of people here but from the part I've read it's a pretty good summary of the situation.

https://twitter.com/spacetwinks/status/855209139001282561

Rhyno posted:

Read them all as some are incredible and some are incredibly bad and YOU GET TO DECIDED WHICH ARE WHICH
Dark Claw was sold out, but I got Lobo the Duck (which I suspect today would be Quinpool), two Super Soldier issues, Thorion, Bruce Wayne: Agent of SHIELD, and Challengers of the Fantastic.

Trip report soon!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Soonmot posted:

I'm not reading 30K words by someone with a furry avatar. What are the highlights?

The main takeaways are that prioritising the direct market system is really bad for the long-term health of the industry, and that Marvel is currently putting short-term profits ahead of long-term growth or stability.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Apr 22, 2017

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Ghostlight posted:

Not having events isn't a great idea because events can be really good. The issue is having them driven by marketing rather than creative.

I think the part that surprised me most in the piece was the section on Marvel's marketing and how bad it was.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Congratulations!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

1994 had Doom 2, System Shock, Warcraft, SimCity 2000 and TIE Fighter.

I don't think I'd even heard of Final Fantasy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Teenage Fansub posted:

Here's your boss thing for the day : a 1978 documentary inside Marvel and DC.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wsykqt5D8yg

That was cool.

• Locked thread