Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Unlucky7 posted:

From what I heard he deleted his own account after going on a fit saying that he will sue BC for libel.

Twitter has been the worst thing for comic writers, as it proves what giant man children they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
But that is dumb as gently caress and loses a lot of the impact if you just make him bi.

Also lol that making him gay somehow justifies anti interracial dating. You are reaching hard

Just say you want him bi, don't try and rationalize it or make it the objectively correct choice.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Clearly you've never seen the hostility bi people encounter from some parts of they gay community

I meant for the story being told.

There are problems that bi men face but they are a completely different thing and you just can't switch them without it being lovely writing on its own.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Guy Goodbody posted:

Who gives a poo poo about impact? Hydra Cap had a lot of impact, that doesn't mean it was good.

Stories having points and themes are good.

Hydra Cap so far does not have either of those things.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

X-O posted:

That's all well and good but that's just his fan fiction unless it's in a book someday.

Even if it's in a book it's fan fiction.

Depending on what you arbitrarily define as fanfiction.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

haitfais posted:

In this case the definition would be "not published or acknowledged by the company that owns the intellectual property," and is far from arbitrary.

That is arbitrary because it only applies to right now when that isn't the case for the 70s and 80s since both Kitty and Rachel were Claremonts through and through. Hell even part of the 90s.

Like I said arbitrary as gently caress.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

X-O posted:

Yeah when you're talking about the actual events as portrayed in the comics it doesn't really matter whether you like the classification or not, the line of delineation is pretty clear. If it's in the books that are published it's part of the ongoing canon. If it's not then it's not. You can call it whatever you want in the second case be it simply ideas the author never got in, a hidden narrative, or fan fiction. It doesn't really matter what label you put on it it's all the same in this case. In a lot of cases someone will come along eventually and take the idea and make it part of the actual narrative though. For instance 10 years ago Iceman being gay was actual fan fiction and a theory a lot of people had. It's no longer fan fiction anymore because someone came along and brought it into the published storyline.

I am glad you agree the Rachel and Kitty thing is canon then.
Because it was not hidden at all.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

haitfais posted:

Guess what was never officially acknowledged in the comics Claremont was writing, or by the company he was writing them for? That's why the distinction isn't arbitrary. It was subtext, which could (and maybe should,) have found its way into the actual story, but didn't. Claremont's X-Men headcanon stopped mattering when he stopped writing X-Men.

Subtext is just as valid as overt heavy handedness.

Saying it directly is completely unnecessary.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

All comic writing is at it's core fan fiction. Canon and not canon are by themselves nothing of importance. Though if you really want to go at it nothing in current Marvel canon disproves the Rachel kitty stuff.

Even if kitty is current,y in a relationship.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

haitfais posted:

Once again, at that point fanfiction becomes meaningless as a concept. It's a pointlessly simplistic assertion that fails to recognise that corporate-owned, shared fictional universes have been a thing longer than television. Any argument that begins with this as a premise fails by default.

I agree fan fiction in regards to corporate comics is meaningless as a concept.

That is like my whole point, it's a meaningless and arbitrary distinction.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Teenage Fansub posted:

Can he write Superman from the hole?

God hoping no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Guy Goodbody posted:

I thought he was pretty entertaining on Redlettermedia, but apparently a lot of people thought he was obnoxious

He did bring a unique energy to the room, not being an overweight alcoholic Milwaukean.

He tried way to loving hard in that video.

• Locked thread