Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
If he hadn't left in 1991, could Claremont have continued on X-Men indefinitely, or would he have eventually decided to leave on his own terms? I've read about some of his plans for the X books going into the 1990s and I'm curious about how long he could have realistically stuck around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I recently read a short story that Chris Roberson wrote about 15 years ago, set in Paris in 1916. The mysterious masked adventurer Judex encounters an American couple visiting France so the husband - the indifferent Dr Wayne - can invest an inheritance he's recently come into while his wife, Martha, who he neglects, spends much of her time away from him at balls and cabarets while he is consumed with his business dealings.

Judex resolves to locate a diamond they've lost and in the course of his investigation, discovers that Martha has had an affair with and become pregnant by a dashing American fighter pilot flying with the French air force, but she resolves to return to America with her husband and allow him to believe the baby is his, to ensure it receives the best upbringing possible.

And that pilot who fathered the future Bruce Wayne was one Kent Allard.

That kind of thing always cracks me up. :D

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Guy Goodbody posted:

They do. Dan Harmon was nominated for a Hugo for an episode of Community.

I thought the Hugo Awards were for science-fiction and fantasy stuff. :confused:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

Have you not watched Community?

I have not. I don't really watch many sitcoms, to be honest.

Anyway, I wouldn't have room for them on my shelf next to all five seasons of Sliders. :v:

(Thought you may appreciate a bit of a deep cut.)

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Apr 8, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Wasn't there a bunch of talk about how Marvel was going to revive the Ultraverse at some point in the past 15 years?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Was it a Malibu comic that had the gimmick of having a cover where the guy had a bullet wound in his chest and they shot the comic with a pistol through it?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Right, I see. I wasn't sure which of the "mini-major" companies did it; thought it might have been Malibu but I wasn't sure.

However, I remember reading about this indie comic that had the same gimmick, except they made an effort to incorporate the hole on every page of their book (e.g. a vase being smashed where the bullet hole would be) and they did different variants including a "guaranteed unreadable" one they made with a shotgun.

Anyway, the only other thing I know about Malibu:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, that looks familiar.

Haven't read CBLR in years.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

NorgLyle posted:

I came to Comics Alliance following Chris Sims and I hope he finds a way to keep writing without going to Cracked or something terrible. I liked the site a lot originally but feel like it never really found a new direction or voice after Laura Hudson left.

Sims was on Cracked for a while, wasn't he?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I was surprised to learn that Kitty/Rachel was Claremont's (for want of a better word) vision; it's hardly implausible, but based on the comics I've read, I would have said that Kitty and Magik was what he was aiming at. :shrug:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Roth posted:

It goes further than that. It's called Skippy, the Jedi Droid. It is a force sensitive droid that can levitate rocks, and Obi-Wan frequently felt its presence but never realized they were a droid.

It has a vision when it was bought by Owen about how terrible things would be if R2 doesn't get bought by Luke, and blows itself up to save the galaxy in a way.

I have no idea how Peter David thought to write this.

I liked the one Tony Isabella wrote where Han Solo does the "smuggling wheelbarrows" trick with spaceships and the one which reveals how Lando won Cloud City in a card game.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I also enjoyed "Vader vs Maul" because I was 10 when it came out.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

X-O posted:

Jesus. What were we doing in 1994?

Does anyone still have that 1994-ish Wizard layout of the top ten most popular writers and artists? I remember it being posted a few threads back and someone made this great joke about how everyone's photo made them look like stereotypical creepy 90s goons, then John Ostrander at the end looked like "a college professor's About the Author photo".

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lurdiak posted:

I'm still seeing people all over social media talk about "the failure of the leftist ideology" whenever someone brings up Marvel's sales. :thumbsup:

Surely there's much better evidence of that than Marvel sales? :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

beergod posted:

What are the top runs ever where the artist also wrote the book? Simonson's Thor comes to mind.

Kirby on all the Fourth World books.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
This is probably going to mean nothing to non-UK goons but I'm sad to report that Leo Baxendale. who created the Bash Street Kids and Minnie the Minx, has died. :(

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Simonson also drew most of his own FF run. I think Rich Buckler did the Acts of Vengeance tie-in issues and of course Art Adams did the New Fantastic Four story arc but it's all Simonson other than that.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Usagi Yojimbo, obviously.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
A whole lot of Carl Barks and Don Rosa Donald Duck too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I like other stuff Max Landis has written but to me he'll always be the guy who wrote the fanfic where the Shocker explodes Bullseye's testicles.

• Locked thread