Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I somehow stumbled upon a Catholic blog post about the philosophy of Avengers: Age of Ultron. While the quality of the post was questionable, it got me thinking about the philosophy of superheroes, or super-powered beings. Are there any decent books on the subject? I know there's a line of "The Philosophy of <Pop Culture Thing>" books but I wonder if those are actually good. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

END ME SCOOB posted:

As a philosophy minor: those books are half-assed trash that people who couldn't become professors write to justify their mistake of a degree which rarely, if ever, go more than surface level in philosophy so they can justify having spent a year on someone's couch watching/playing (topic) as "research".

If you legitimately want some good explorations of the topic I can pull a few selections.

Yes, please.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I like how in that issue Sunspot and Cannonball party with AIM folks while Black Widow straight-up murders people in cold blood.

Which is, yeah, a good issue.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

RandallODim posted:

*sprints into thread* OH poo poo HERE'S MY CHANCE

A couple friends and I actually are doing a podcast that aspires to that kind of analysis; our second episode was all about Jack Kirby, and got some into considering the deeper ethical/philosophical underpinnings of Kirby's work, and our most recent episode was all about what makes the comic form work specifically with memoirs, so it isn't just the philosophy of superheroes, but it's comics & intellectualism and we occasionally name-drop important thinkers. We also end up bullshitting about dumb comics poo poo too, like whether the yellow and brown or the yellow and blue is a better Wolverine costume, but even that's at least pseudo-intellectual, so, uh, check us out?

I will give this a try. Thanks!

Loving punchman comics and thinking about them shouldn't be mutually exclusive

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Wait, so what is the difference between Marvelman and Miracleman? Which one does the trade "Miracleman: A Dream of Flying" belong to? That's been sitting on my wishlist for a year.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Rhyno posted:

Marvelman is the character's original name. Miracleman is the name Eclipse branded him with when they began publishing the character in North America.

Okay, but Guy Goodbody's post says Marvel's Miracleman release is awful because of the ridiculous pricing, or does that only apply to hard copies? The ebook is for $10.99 only, which doesn't seem bad.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Rhyno posted:

Okay this is where it gets stupid.

The character has existed for decades, originally they were just repurposing Captain Marvel stories for the UK market. In the 80's Alan Moore revived the character, wrote it for a short time and then handed it off to Neil Gaiman who never got to finish his run. In recent years Todd McFarland decided he owned MM, that ended up blowing up in his face and Marvel ended up buying the character. So instead of just re-releasing all the original issues they instead released some overpriced hardcovers of the various "Classic" stories that not a single person on Earth wanted. And then they started re-printing the Moore stories as overpriced single issues and then subsequently as overpriced hardcovers. Then the singles stalled out with no explanation given. It's been over a year since the released an issue and it's hilarious because they have six 100% finished issues they can still release AND #25 was written, drawn and inked 20 years ago so they already have a "new" issue in the can.

The whole thing has become a clusterfuck and Marvel's total lack of commenting on what's going on isn't helping. It is wildly speculated that something has come up and Marvel doesn't actually own the character.

Comic licensing issues are always weird :o

Now it doesn't seem appealing to start reading the book

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Who is Aaron Diaz and why should we care?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Congratulations Rhyno!

• Locked thread