Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Skwirl posted:

It's golden if only for the scene where he confronts Hal Jordan.

This. It's worth the trip to crazy town for this scene alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

OhFunny posted:

Border Patrol's really power tripping.

Turned away because no work visa for sketches.

Dude, we gotta protect the US from those filthy snowbacks who are stealing our jobs.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Diet Poison posted:

That's where I'd like to see the industry go (ever since my comic store of choice shut down, anyway; RIP Unreal) but something tells me physical comics will be 100% gone altogether within a decade or so.

You're probably right. Not sure if it's a decade, but I agree that it's definitely coming. I went to NYCC for the first time in a long time this past year. I remember when I was younger I would hit all the vendors and try and hunt hard to find back issues and the like. Last time? Bought some art and patches and then wrote down the new series I wanted to try on digital. I do not have the physical space to store comics anymore. I've got 15-20 long boxes at my parents house and I've no idea where to store them in my house. I get everything digital these days and I sincerely doubt I'm the only one who does that.

Aphrodite posted:

And no newstands.

Plenty of newsstands in my city.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Jordan7hm posted:

As far as physical being gone in ten years... I seem for remember people saying the same thing about books in general. If people are making comics, they will be making and selling physical versions of those comics.

There's far fewer bookstores today than there were 10 years ago. It's going away - it's not quite there yet, and for certain fields, print will be around for awhile. However, my nephews in grade school were given iPads this year and several of their classes don't have physical text books anymore. It's all on the tablet.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Guy Goodbody posted:

Be fair, the main loss of book stores was Borders closing, and that was because of incompetent management and not because of loss of book sales

Off the top of my head, Waldenbooks, B. Dalton, and Borders no longer exist, and neither do quite a few local mom and pop book stores. To pretend that all of them had incompetent management is disingenuous at best. Amazon was a huge contributor to that - and they sell a Kindle. To pretend that digital sales have no impact also isn't fair. The medium is changing. Just like you'll have difficulty finding a local typewriter repairman - there will come a time that physical books are considered a quaint affectation.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

From the second paragraph of the article you quoted: "Mass market has been on the wane since the introduction of e-books, and its slide continued in 2016 with a 7.7% drop in unit sales. Physical audio, where sales were down 13.5% on the year, also took a big hit from digital." If you check the chart at the bottom, mass market is down 25% since 2013 - digital is hurting them. I read exceptionally quickly and before I had my Kindle, I was buying 3 paperbacks a week to keep me busy on the commute. Now? I can't remember the last physical book I bought. It's like pay phones and typewriters and lots of other stuff we had when I was a kid. Yeah, they're still around, but they're not nearly as common as they once were. It's a slow burn for certain - but pretending it's not affecting the industry is short sighted.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Archyduke posted:

And to be totally fair to Marvel Generation X started strong I think.

It did. Bachelo's art was delightful and Lobdell's writing wasn't bad either. Even the next team, Hama and Dodson, did a decent job. It wasn't until after that run that it started to decline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Roth posted:

I'll go up to bat for Deathstroke.

It is honestly a fun series about a horrible person that doesn't pretend that Slade is anything but a lovely person. I don't know if it's worthy of an Eisner nomination, but it's definitely one of the better Rebirth titles they could have picked.

Agreed. I was never a DC guy but I figured Rebirth was a good jumping on point. I gave all the titles a shot and with the exception of the Batman titles and the Flash, Deathstroke is the only one I'm still reading. As you say, I'm not sure it's Eisner worthy, but it's a pretty good book.

• Locked thread