Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

I got waaaay too into the Matrix when it came out so my dad bought me a "Philosophy and the Matrix" book and jesus christ the author was so far up his own rear end.

Seems faithful to the source material then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I don't understand why someone can't make a genuine point about something like this without making up a headline like that which has no basis in reality. I mean there's all kinds of actual things that are true that you can say about those comments being wrong without making something like that up.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

CapnAndy posted:

Both parts of that headline are true, though?

Nobody blamed sales being low on Black Panther or Ms Marvel. Ms Marvel is constantly cited as one of their big hits and has been reported to sell extremely well digitally and Black Panther is a classic hero and not one of the heroes they're trying to put a new spin on.

Also even if it were true I'm not sure what correlation an award has to sales. Is an award supposed to justify that a book with low sales gets to continue?

Skwirl posted:

I bet there's a quantifiable effect on sales when you slap a "Hugo Award Nominee" or even better "Hugo Award Winner" sticker on a trade paperback.

I would think it's a negligible effect. Anyone that would be impressed by that is probably already reading those books if they are interested based on the publicity they've already had.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

haitfais posted:

Dude, the Hugos are like the Oscars of speculative fiction. Nomination does tend to lead to a spike in sales. Winning tends to lead to a larger spike.

Yes, but Ms Marvel already has a Hugo win and multiple Eisner noms under its belt from previous years and there was so much publicity around Coates on Black Panther I'm pretty sure that all of the people paying attention know about that book already. I don't think in this particular case there's going to be much needle moving for those titles. Now Vision might benefit as it was also on the list.

Plus I don't think awards really help move singles much at all. Does anyone have any data on that? I'd imagine it's much more effective for trades and collections than it is singles. And while that will help a book it's not going to save something with anemic sales in singles.

Of course really all sales stuff is speculation at best these days without any hard digital numbers and knowing how much of a profit difference there is between a physical sale and digital sale.

X-O fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Apr 8, 2017

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

Yeah, every time Marvel's launched a sub line it hasn't lasted very long. Their biggest success wasn't Max though, it was the Epic line. DC's no better though, other than Vertigo none of their sub lines have had real legs. Helix didn't last long at all and let's face it, Young Animal isn't going to be around in 5 years.

How does Young Animal sell? I have to admit I really haven't heard much good buzz about the books in that line at all. Not that I've heard anything bad either, it just seems like the books aren't being read by many people at all.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'm pretty sure the end of the FCBD already leaked a while back? I remember people talking about it in the Marvel thread.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Oh whatever I don't read BSS really anymore I just saw it and had to pop in and cackle madly

Well what you posted is different that what was posted before. Anyway what we know about Mjolnir and being worthy has completely changed in the last few months anyway since we've learned that the hammer is sentient and worthiness apparently depends on the person holding it and how they view themselves in the case of Thor. So who knows what's happening there.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Shows what I've been missing by not keeping up on Thor

It's from the recent Unworthy Thor mini where it's finally revealed that Thor is unworthy because he doesn't believe he's worthy anymore and that the Gods are a sham.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Also while Cap is definitely a villain, there's no two ways about that he's a bad guy now, he's not a Nazi. In fact the entire story they've been telling in his book is about him trying to kill Red Skull and take Hydra back from him because of how Cap thinks Skull has completely sullied it by aligning with Nazi ideals. Kobik made Steve loyal to the ancient order of Hydra not to Red Skull. I know it's a lot more fun and sensationalist to just say that Cap is a Nazi because it's an easy joke but that's not what's actually in the story. Cap is absolutely a bad guy though so there's no arguing that.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I guess I didn't realize that meant the hammer was sentient

That was revealed in Jane's book.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

It's all loving stupid

I'm not going to argue that point with you. I completely understand why people don't like it or want to read it. Personally I'm a fan of the inversion trope in comics and I love when by circumstance a hero is forced to be a villain and villain is forced to be a hero. I loved how this story started out in Cap's book but the middle kind of lost me with the last few issues getting me back into it. I clearly see why a lot of people don't like it though so I wouldn't try to argue that the story is worth reading to someone who has written it off. I do feel that it's kind of important to get the details of it right though when talking about it whether you like it or not.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Aphrodite posted:

This used to be the story for how Hydra aren't nazis too. Red Skull was working with them out of convenience, wasn't a true believer etc.

But now Skull's just the nazi guy.

Skull has always had the ties to Nazis in the books though. Hydra was originally just another spy organization like SHIELD. I mean there's been no shortage of Hydra stories that have nothing to do with Skull or his allegiances. Stories with Bob from Deadpool or that really fun Secret Wars one shot about a Hydra agent wouldn't be as fun as they were if there Nazi connections always hanging over them. The MCU is largely where Hydra and Nazis are indistinguishable. In the comics Hydra goes all the way back to ancient Egypt and has been a foe of SHIELD since then. After the Pleasant Hill stuff Hydra leadership was pretty much wiped off the table and very few pockets of the original organization remained. The current incarnation of Hydra in the books was reassembled by Red Skull after that and does indeed draw primarily on hate groups and that's why he and Steve are at odds now.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lightning Lord posted:

I prefer when like, the Sandman realizes being a villain is dumb rather than a space cube making Captain America Actually, A Nazi All Along

It can be fun either way. Carnage being a hero in Axis wasn't a sudden change of heart and it's really fun. This Cap story isn't fun though I'll grant you that. There's nothing fun about it at all. And that's why I kind of lost interest midway through. The last few issues picked up but I'm also at the point where I'm ready for Secret Empire to just go ahead and happen so we can get back to basics with Cap as well. I'm just afraid that also means Sam going back to being Falcon which I don't really want to see.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I always see that panel pop up on Twitter. It's from that Kalan guy's book, right? Is the whole thing comedic, and is it good?

It's from Spider-Man and the X-Men and yes it's a great book.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Aphrodite posted:

Sounds like they're Nazis but just don't hate the jews because that would be problematic for Cap.

Can we make sure Ardian Syaf wasn't solicited as one of the artists on this?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Ghostlight posted:

I can tell you didn't manage to make it to the later series of Agents of SHIELD. You lucky bastard.

You mean the recent series with Deathlok and all? I didn't finish it. Did the retcon something in that?

Or do you mean the show? Because that really doesn't have anything to do with the movies and hasn't for a long time. Hydra there was revealed to be centuries old but it ultimately doesn't matter outside the narrative of that show. Also that was a pretty great storyline last season.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yvonmukluk posted:

Claremont's gone on record Kitty/Rachel is canon, even if Marvel never did.

That's all well and good but that's just his fan fiction unless it's in a book someday.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah when you're talking about the actual events as portrayed in the comics it doesn't really matter whether you like the classification or not, the line of delineation is pretty clear. If it's in the books that are published it's part of the ongoing canon. If it's not then it's not. You can call it whatever you want in the second case be it simply ideas the author never got in, a hidden narrative, or fan fiction. It doesn't really matter what label you put on it it's all the same in this case. In a lot of cases someone will come along eventually and take the idea and make it part of the actual narrative though. For instance 10 years ago Iceman being gay was actual fan fiction and a theory a lot of people had. It's no longer fan fiction anymore because someone came along and brought it into the published storyline.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lurdiak posted:

I don't know what that is, but if it's a comic book (or "graphic novel"), you're welcome to make a thread for it. There's way too much superhero stuff in this forum, but that doesn't mean other things are unwelcome.

Very much this. It's not like we're restricted on thread space or anything. If you see something people aren't talking about that fits into the forum then make a thread for it. It's also a good way to potentially introduce people to something they'd otherwise not know about.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

If Chuck Dixon wrote it, it's poo poo.

Depends on the when in regards to Chuck. He wrote some great Batman stuff and basically wrote the best runs of Robin and Nightwing that really defined their characters for many years after. Then he kind of when to poo poo.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Holy poo poo, Aspen is still in business?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Jesus, this sounds like a nightmare.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/04/20/archie-comics-artist-refused-entry-usa-canada-sketches/

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

So was 9/11 the definitive line in Miller's career where everything before was good and everything after was complete garbage? Has he written anything good since?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'm all for killing all physical floppies. Trades only for print and singles in digital only. Screw the comic shops. I don't think 99¢ it feasible though. You have to consider the cut the distributor takes, which is probably most of it. And the complete loss of all advertising revenue as digital comics don't have ads. The loss of printing overhead makes up a lot of that. I'd pay the same price as I'm already paying if they can guarantee keeping the ads out.

It's honestly a pipe dream though. We'll have to kill the shops ourselves to make it happen. Retailers and concern about retail are what's really holding the industry back from finally moving into not just the future, but the present as well.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lurdiak posted:

Right, so again, it's Rhyno's fault.

If Rhyno has to sleep on the street or -gasp- get a real job that's just a bullet he'll have to take in order to save the comic industry. Come on Rhyno, bring it down from the inside!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Eat a dick with this real job poo poo, retail is a real job even if it's af a local shop

It was a joke at Rhyno's expense. Stop being so sensitive BENGHAZI 2.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I also work at a a shop homie and "real job" sentiments are too common

It was just a nudge at Rhyno dude. Calm down. I would guarantee he knew what I meant.

Roth posted:

This was $5 well spent

What the hell even is that thing?

X-O fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Apr 23, 2017

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Jesus. What were we doing in 1994?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Roth posted:

I like how aware of the fact the guy who wrote that is of how lovely everything except Marvels is.

I'm a fan of the artists being listed first instead of the writers. (I'm not actually a fan of that)

Also Stephen Platt. Man, that's a name I've not heard in literally probably two decades.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I never played any of those. I also never bought any of the books in that Top 10 though. I did read Marvels probably five or six years later though.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lurdiak posted:

I'm sorry for your wasted youth.

I was actually even less into video games then than I am now, and that's saying something. I had an SNES but the only thing I ever really played was Mario. My brother was much more into video games.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

redbackground posted:

Also X-O, condolences on your FF3-less 1994

I've never played a Final Fantasy, or any of those types of games, and I think my life is probably better for it. I figure that's probably many many hours I've saved.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Roth posted:

No, yes, yes, and yes

Pretty much. You chose poorly, even if by accident.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Guy Goodbody posted:

Is the Injustice comic any good?

It's like the Fast and Furious of comics in that it's a lot of fun and sometimes really crazy and good in its own special way but it's not like a classic run or something you're missing out on if you don't read it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Guy Goodbody posted:

I gotta be honest, "fun" and "good in it's own special way" should be enough to recommend a comic imo

It is. I just want to set expectations at the correct level. Don't go in thinking it's the Bendis Daredevil run or Simonson's Thor or some other seminal run of comics. It's just a wacky alternate universe tale that's way more fun than a dumb game tie-in should be. I mean one would probably think a story about Superman going bad and basically becoming a ruthless dictator could be a really grim book but it's so utterly ridiculous at most points that it only occasionally makes you remember "Oh yeah this reality would be horrific wouldn't it?"

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

quote:

Best Digital Comic

Edison Rex, by Chris Roberson and Dennis Culver (Monkeybrain/comiXology)

The hell? We've had two issues in the last three years and he gets nominated for an award? I love the series but sorry no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think I don't like Max Landis now just for actually going to something called MorrisonCon.

• Locked thread