Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I got waaaay too into the Matrix when it came out so my dad bought me a "Philosophy and the Matrix" book and jesus christ the author was so far up his own rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
In light of their recent comments, I think Marvel is missing out on an opportunity here.

The greatest Deadpool book ever.

DEADPOOL KILLS DIVERSITY

It's him killing all the minority characters in the Marvel Universe one at a time.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
How are still on page 1?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Senior Woodchuck posted:

I agree, Jude Terror is an rear end in a top hat for deliberately misrepresenting Waid's statements and being a poo poo-stirring fuckgibbon in general.

Details please?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I thought the Hugo Awards were for science-fiction and fantasy stuff. :confused:

Have you not watched Community?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
LoL.

But yeah, Community has an episode where the cast fights themselves from an evil alternate reality.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Starsnostars posted:

Wasn't there a rumour that Marvel hadn't got the Miracleman legal situation completely nailed down like they thought they had and that's why it's stopped

It comes up a lot and nobody at Marvel will respond to those questions.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh and when they have retailer conference calls our group chats MiracleMan questions are not allowed.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Schneider Heim posted:

Wait, so what is the difference between Marvelman and Miracleman? Which one does the trade "Miracleman: A Dream of Flying" belong to? That's been sitting on my wishlist for a year.

Marvelman is the character's original name. Miracleman is the name Eclipse branded him with when they began publishing the character in North America.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Schneider Heim posted:

Okay, but Guy Goodbody's post says Marvel's Miracleman release is awful because of the ridiculous pricing, or does that only apply to hard copies? The ebook is for $10.99 only, which doesn't seem bad.

Okay this is where it gets stupid.

The character has existed for decades, originally they were just repurposing Captain Marvel stories for the UK market. In the 80's Alan Moore revived the character, wrote it for a short time and then handed it off to Neil Gaiman who never got to finish his run. In recent years Todd McFarland decided he owned MM, that ended up blowing up in his face and Marvel ended up buying the character. So instead of just re-releasing all the original issues they instead released some overpriced hardcovers of the various "Classic" stories that not a single person on Earth wanted. And then they started re-printing the Moore stories as overpriced single issues and then subsequently as overpriced hardcovers. Then the singles stalled out with no explanation given. It's been over a year since the released an issue and it's hilarious because they have six 100% finished issues they can still release AND #25 was written, drawn and inked 20 years ago so they already have a "new" issue in the can.

The whole thing has become a clusterfuck and Marvel's total lack of commenting on what's going on isn't helping. It is wildly speculated that something has come up and Marvel doesn't actually own the character.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Other posters have also speculated that the fan reaction was lukewarm. For 20 years people have been talking about how amazing MM is, calling it one of the best comic books ever but when it was finally available to read legally again all these people who bought into the hype were massively dissappointed. Also the art in the middle issues of the Moore run is total rear end.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
One person who is fairly well connected with Marvel staffers has said that nobody at Disney gives a poo poo about MM, they see no viability in the character outside comics so the Disney legal team has no incentive to do anything. This is all on Marvel's comic division to sort out.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah, every time Marvel's launched a sub line it hasn't lasted very long. Their biggest success wasn't Max though, it was the Epic line. DC's no better though, other than Vertigo none of their sub lines have had real legs. Helix didn't last long at all and let's face it, Young Animal isn't going to be around in 5 years.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Marvel's been trying to get their own Vertigo going numerous times and it's never really worked out. There's supposedly a whole series of mature readers original graphic novels Marvel commissioned that are sitting in a drawer somewhere and the current publishing initiative has no use for them.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
DC has those huge iconic stories like Watchmen, Kingdom Come, V For Vendetta, the Death of Superman etc. It also never helped that Marvel's TPB offerings were garbage for years and years.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Marvel has a few of those these days, Old Man Logan has been a trade best seller for us since the collected edition dropped. Civil War is another one that sells great for us.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CapnAndy posted:

DC loses the rights to Watchmen if it ever goes out of print, so they had that early lesson in keeping certain TPBs on store shelves forever.

True but there isn't a single other DC series where that applies. It's not like Alex Ross and Mark Waid get the rights to Kingdom Come if it ever stays out of print.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Soonmot posted:

I think if you compare dc (minus vertigo) to marvel, they don't have all that many more classic trades. It's really Vertigo and their approach to storytelling that made the difference. As others have said, Marvel had never had a Vertigo-esque line that strayed any real distance from superhero

Epic.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Marvel has plenty of books that will always be available and are considered classics. They're just not on that iconic level of DKR or Watchmen. the Death of Jean Dewolf and Kraven's Last Hunt are wonderful classic Spider-man stories. Born Again and the Man Without Fear are the virtual DNA of the character of Daredevil.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Marvel was going to do a full Epic revival but the evolved into Trouble.

Ugh.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

loving lol.

Are any of their Epic stuff on Unlimited, or is it all creator owned?

I'd assume none of it is on Unlimited since 99% of it has been reprinted by other companies.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Wasn't there a bunch of talk about how Marvel was going to revive the Ultraverse at some point in the past 15 years?

There's a ton of fans wanting it but Marvel's statement has never changed from the "No, it's never gonna happen."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

redbackground posted:

The Gerard Jones Situation sure isn't going to speed things along on that front.

I doubt that even registered on the radar. They need to get every Malibu creator to sign off on a deal where they basically get fuckall in royalties. Nobody's gonna sign on for that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

I can't decide if that's more or less edgy than Kiss mixing their blood into the ink of their comic line.

They were the kings of lovely cover gimmicks. They did a fully die cut comic book once as well.

redbackground posted:

Kind of sort of.

Protectors #5 had a the cover with the guy getting shot and there's a bullet hole, but it was die-cut.

They actually set up and shot one at a con but it blew a massive hole through the book and made them look stupid.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

How does Young Animal sell? I have to admit I really haven't heard much good buzz about the books in that line at all. Not that I've heard anything bad either, it just seems like the books aren't being read by many people at all.

They are sadly some of my worst sellers and from those numbers it's the same story everywhere else. But they are critical darlings and who knows how well the digitals are selling so they'll probably get to exist for a time yet. But like I said above, YA won't be around in 5 years.

Soonmot posted:

Was epic anything other than Bendis? I can't even remember the books they put out.

So did i

You mean the new one? There was like, a JMS book maybe?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Every time someone asks Tom Brevoort about Malibu, his only response is that he's not legally allowed to talk about it.

That's stupid. If they'd issue a statement people could stop asking about it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's probably not Todd, there's probably something going on with Warrior and/or Mick Anglo.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lightning Lord posted:

So Todd McFarlane, because Dez Skinn gave Eclipse the rights to all the Quality Communications/Warrior stuff.

Somebody was working on possible reasons and Dez may not have had the right to do that so it may be an international thing. We'll see.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There were also two statues, an action figure and t-shirts. He made a bunch of cash off MM merch. I wonder if he had to pay any of that back.

Nobody thinks it's Todd because he clearly lost his suit with Neil and Neil got the spoils and Marvel's still publishing comics with Angela and poo poo.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Tell me about the greater Charlotte NC area.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's potentially in our future.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
SPOILERS

https://imgur.com/nCSDk4T

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

Was last October's Punisher the last thing Steve Dillon drew? Because it just popped up on Marvel Unlimited.

By all reports yes. He probably has unused artwork on file at DC and Marvel that will no doubt show up in the future though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

Was that any good? I just started the Marvel Knights stuff he did with Ennis and am digging it. I've already read his Punisher MAX stuff, and it's funny because I can't imagine a child old enough for the Knights run but too young for Punisher MAX.

I couldn't really get into the first two issues so I bailed on it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

So my local store has about a dozen Amalgam issues on sale. Anything actually worthwhile?

Read them all as some are incredible and some are incredibly bad and YOU GET TO DECIDED WHICH ARE WHICH

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

I hear Rhyno's store has a special room where you can cuddle with your anime pillows with other homestuck cosplayers for a small fee.

You jest but we've had groups of those guys ask if they can use our game room for their weird rear end meetings.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Unless you book through you place of work and pay $110 a night for downtown accommodations.

Free tix to the show as well.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Lol, but I should get a real job.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Amazon approached Borders with a proposal to become their web service in exchange for use of their warehouses.

Borders laughed in their faces. W all know how that worked out. Also waldenbooks was owned by Borders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

It was a joke at Rhyno's expense. Stop being so sensitive BENGHAZI 2.

gently caress even I joke about it.

But via my joke job I netted roughly $5000 worth of free poo poo in 2016, much of which I was able to flip for cash so I ain't doing too bad.

• Locked thread