Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I dunno, that might be a terrible power, but he still seems cooler than Stingray.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

In honor of the month of fools, I'd like to remind everyone that this exists.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Thinking too much about media is fine if you're not an idiot who's setting out to come up with a hot take.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

site posted:

lol mark waid got his twitter account deleted I guess for threatening someone

You have to try really hard to get twitter's "moderation" to notice you.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Girl Genius is just the worst thing.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

I thought the Hugo Awards were for science-fiction and fantasy stuff. :confused:

Community has some weird episodes.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Lightning Lord posted:

SF/F nerds who are almost strictly into it in the form of novels and prose fiction have a weird relationship with comics, and that's the audience mostly represented by the Hugos.

It's a shame, there are some great sci fi comics. Like Spider-man.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Also I wasn't too hot on the recoloring job, that pretty much killed my interest in re-buying a comic I'd already read before. It wasn't Killing Joke bad or anything, but it was, as with all modern recolorings, way browner and more muted.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I doubt that even registered on the radar. They need to get every Malibu creator to sign off on a deal where they basically get fuckall in royalties. Nobody's gonna sign on for that.

That reminds me of when Peter Laird and some loving company I forget were bringing Mirage's original TMNT back in the early 2000s, and Laird was so desperate to make it happen that he personally tried to get all the giant pile of original contributors to TMNT that weren't Eastman to agree to give up all their royalties to everything they created in the TMNT universe for basically a pack of Juicy Fruits, and then when most of them told him to get hosed, he was like "Ok all that poo poo they wrote isn't canon anymore, TMNT IS FULLY BACK BABY!"

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

Was it a Malibu comic that had the gimmick of having a cover where the guy had a bullet wound in his chest and they shot the comic with a pistol through it?

I can't decide if that's more or less edgy than Kiss mixing their blood into the ink of their comic line.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The straw feminists are a much older idea than that collab.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

RandallODim posted:

'If you think you're worthy, you're worthy' isn't a stupid idea

It super is.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

There aren't enough differences between what Cap is and what a Nazi is for me to be ok with this story.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The closest anything like that's ever happened is tech villains selling equipment to other villains. I think almost every single genius villain has someone point out how much good they could do with their intellect if they weren't crazy assholes at one point, and it's always met with a variation of:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

How old are Iceman and Kitty now? mid-30s for Iceman and mid-20s for Kitty?

How dare you, everyone in Marvel is exactly 21 years old forever.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'm really glad Nick Spencer continues to prove I was right when I kept insisting he's a lovely writer when everyone was loving Superior Foes of Spider-man.

Decius posted:

Let's not kid ourselves, both were in the closet then, Bobby just was forced to step out of it.
I wish they just get over it with Kitty too, she has had terrible chemistry with every male romance (aka Peter something-or-other) they put her with.

That's because the people writing her are all in love with her and can't bring themselves to write her having true chemistry with another man.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Apr 14, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Some of my friends have kids in the 11-15 year old range and they draw the most embarrassing possible homestuck x markiplier x undertale anime looking fanart imaginable, and I just get a goofy smile on my face when I see it because they're kids and that's what kids do. I can't imagine being an rear end in a top hat about it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I found the first draft of Batman v Superman's script.

https://twitter.com/KidsWriteJokes/status/695659243270184960

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

You should see some of the tangents the CD thread goes on sometimes.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

"Zack Snyder: great director, or greatest director?"

No no, that's on-topic. This is what I mean:

Gorman Thomas posted:

What actor would most convincingly deliver the line, "Well boy, I'd masturbate to that. Hell, I might even cum".

Asking for a friend.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I don't know what that is, but if it's a comic book (or "graphic novel"), you're welcome to make a thread for it. There's way too much superhero stuff in this forum, but that doesn't mean other things are unwelcome.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Batman Annual #14 (1990) is one of my favorite Batman stories ever, it's a great take on the origin of Two-Face, and Jeph Loeb lifted a lot of it for his use of the character in The Long Halloween. It's probably not easy to find, but it was reprinted along with some other Two-Face and Riddler material as a trade that was a tie-in to Batman Forever.

This reprint also had much better print quality overall, so it's probably the better buy. I dunno how Comixology works so maybe it's on there.

Speaking of Two-Face stories, Batman Black and White: Two of a Kind is a great Bruce Timm comic, but it features very little Batman.

It's an elseworlds, but another great story is The Batman of Arkham, where Bruce Wayne is a victorian-era psychiatrist and the administrator of Arkham asylum.

Going Sane is a pretty great story by JM Dematteis.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

purple death ray posted:

All of the Batman vs. Predator comics. Come read the Batman thread, we could probably use another conversation about the best Batman stories.

You know DT's just going to recommend a bunch of Jason Todd stories.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

purple death ray posted:

I guess Lobdell is legendary in the same way that say the Baba Yaga or the Jersey Devil is

:discourse:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

X-O posted:

So was 9/11 the definitive line in Miller's career where everything before was good and everything after was complete garbage? Has he written anything good since?

If he has I didn't hear about it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

In other words, it's Rhyno's fault that Nova got canceled.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

All those ideas except reserving miniseries for prestige creators are solid, at least from my consumer perspective. The price tag probably isn't realistic due to modern printing costs, but comic prices are definitely insane as it stands.

E: Ha, 1963-era Marvel comic prices, adjusted for inflation, are exactly 99 cents.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Apr 22, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

American Comics should adopt the Manga distribution system. Instead of every series getting its own monthly print release, there are monthly magazines each with 5-8 series in them.
Like, "Detective Comics" would be a monthly magazine, each issue would be 200 or more pages long, and contain new installments of Batman, Batwoman, Green Arrow, etc.

That'd be like 35 dollars an issue, if not more. It doesn't address the problem of how loving overpriced it all is.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Edit: Great in the thought that motion comic trailers and killing floppies would save the industry is hilarious, I mean.

If the industry has to die for floppies to go, it's worth considering.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Comics used to make money off advertising.

Yeah, and they used to be printed on the shittiest possible paper and printed with really simple colors, and there wasn't a monopoly on printing, and there's probably unionizing involved somewhere. But as a consumer I'm still getting smacked in the jaw with modern prices that don't scale at all from what they were when I was a kid and certainly not with the prices of when comics were booming in the olden days.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Ghostlight posted:

Not having events isn't a great idea because events can be really good. The issue is having them driven by marketing rather than creative.

They've always been driven by marketing, though. I mean, Secret Wars (the real one) was explicitly just to sell toys.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

When I was a wee Lurdiak my family would buy me magazine format B&W compilations of Marvel comics in French that were approximately 15 years behind current continuity. While there's an argument to be made for the importance of color and paper that won't loving get stained with fingerprints or smudge, I can only say that I would've read far fewer comics if those reprints hadn't been available and instead my parents had to purchase floppies, especially if they had been priced like modern comics are.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Right, so again, it's Rhyno's fault.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I hear Rhyno's store has a special room where you can cuddle with your anime pillows with other homestuck cosplayers for a small fee.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yeah I mean I can't go shopping anywhere without seeing an issue of Go! Starz with what appears to be the same generic looking young white celebrities on the cover every time. It's not like disposable print is going anywhere. They just don't put comics in those stands anymore.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

See, now we know it's a good idea.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

He probably got told he could write about any character in Star Wars and challenged himself to make an interesting story out of the most pointless and asinine character possible.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Space Fish posted:

DC's trying out $4 print w/download code, $3 digital.

[Extremely Rhyno's customers voice] So much for drawing the line at 2.99.....

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Reminder that it's been a little over a year since this incident:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I got engaged today!

I knew you and Sgt. Rock were made for each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Timeless Appeal posted:

Man, I missed that. Can you tell me how that went?

I mean obviously Eisner has a rocky history with how he depicted some of his characters, but referring to him as a white dude also ignores what it meant to be a Jew for most of American history. Also ignores the fact that he's Will Eisner is well... Will Eisner.

Kind of reminds me of this Octopus Pie strip.

Funny you should bring up Octopus Pie, because Meredith Gran had this to say:

https://twitter.com/granulac/status/721510876038172672

Guy got dunked on really hard by basically everyone in the world. I really don't like him or his dumb butt comic, so it was pretty great.

• Locked thread