Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Rhyno posted:

One person who is fairly well connected with Marvel staffers has said that nobody at Disney gives a poo poo about MM, they see no viability in the character outside comics so the Disney legal team has no incentive to do anything. This is all on Marvel's comic division to sort out.
I have a question towards this.

My assumption has been that DC has always done a much better job at developing a canon for itself. It's the one with stuff like Watchmen, Sandman, Preacher, Kingdom Come, The Killing Joke, Y: The Last Man that are--fairly or not--considered these prestige titles that you've consistently been able to find on a bookstore's shelf for the last twenty years and indefinitely in the future.

Marvel on the other hand doesn't really seem to have any of that. Even something like Truth which was this highly acclaimed and incredibly accessible work is out of print. There's a few things like Alias, Runaways, Marvels, and Born Again, but they don't really seem to stack against DC and Vertigo.

So I guess my question is two things: Is my assumption correct? From your experience, does Marvel give a poo poo about having something similar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I think the real sad thing is that I feel like Comics Alliance was just starting to get it's footing again. I feel like it never really regained the heights of what it was after the first time it died and for awhile it was more ScreenCrush stuff than actual new content. But it really looked like it was figuring itself out albeit still being much more clickbaity than it was before the original shutdown.

Also, honestly, I hope that Chris Sims just sticks to his podcasts and writing comics. I like the guy but I feel like Comics Alliance allowed him to indulge himself in his own interests as opposed to someone like Collins or Cereno who I think did a much better job at shaping an identity for the site.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Edge & Christian posted:

I always wondered if people were accidentally trying to recommend Strong Female Characters, the Beaton/Monardo/Gran series instead of Strong Female Protagonist, and got excited every time someone promised new material from SFP.
I feel like Beaton evolved a lot of the ideas at work there into her Strawman Feminists and Dagger comic with even more success.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
The Godfather Part II is my favorite fan fiction.

Gaz-L posted:

Kitty is kinda Marvel's Dick Grayson in this regard, where they both started as tweens and gradually aged semi-realistically until they hit legal drinking age and stopped.
I really liked how Kitty was written in Wolverine and the X-men in which she definitely feels like she's pushing thirty.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

haitfais posted:

In this case the definition would be "not published or acknowledged by the company that owns the intellectual property," and is far from arbitrary.
It's just kind of an icky definition to be honest. A corporate doctrine shouldn't dictate how you take in or view a piece of fiction, and diminishing what Claremont-- someone who really was an unprecedented creative drive for a group of superheroes-- thinks because it's not the official company line seems silly. Especially for something where the subtext is really important for a lot of readers.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Apr 14, 2017

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Edge & Christian posted:

Also if someone digs up a Jack Kirby interview where he says "I always envisioned the ending of my Fourth World Saga to be Orion killing Darkseid, then Superman, then marrying Lois Lane and sending their own son Bruce Wayne back in time with the omega effect" that doesn't mean that canonically Darkseid is dead, nor that Orion married Lois Lane, or is Batman's dad. I am not a Claremont expert, so maybe there's just a poo poo ton of published subtext about their relationship the way there is about (say) Mystique and Destiny, but a writer of anything non-creator-owned who talks about what they thought maybe they'd do isn't exactly fan fiction but it also isn't "canonical" in a way that really lends any meaning to the word at all. Unless it's canon that Luke Skywalker is named Luke Starkiller because I mean technically framer's intent so both names are officially canon.
This essay makes a good argument for why the Kitty stuff is an interesting edge case though. The argument is that Claremont could not express homosexuality, so instead he offers a subtextual gay romance.The author also makes an interesting argument for heterosexual romance to be textual requires a lower bar.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

If Chuck Dixon wrote it, it's poo poo.
His Bane origin story is legitimately amazing.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
So my students are writing short plays. They can basically write anything they want; the content doesn't matter. They're just learning how to write scripts for a bigger project we're doing in a couple of weeks. Anyway, I'm getting pretty some nerdy poo poo like Japan ceasing all exporting of anime which leads to a war between the US and Japan.

But the best so far is Suicide Dogs: A story in which the members of the Suicide Squad are captured and their dogs must save them. The dogs are named Harley Quinn Dog, Deadshot Dog, and Captain Boomberang Dog.

Still less nerdy than the play about Sonic trapped on Cybertron.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Apr 21, 2017

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Reminder that it's been a little over a year since this incident:

Man, I missed that. Can you tell me how that went?

I mean obviously Eisner has a rocky history with how he depicted some of his characters, but referring to him as a white dude also ignores what it meant to be a Jew for most of American history. Also ignores the fact that he's Will Eisner is well... Will Eisner.

Kind of reminds me of this Octopus Pie strip.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Madkal posted:

Limp Bizkit. Our generations Grateful Dead.
That's kind of a ridiculous statement when Phish exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Can we just agree that no matter what we think of Max Landis, if white privilege were a person it would be Max Landis.

• Locked thread