Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

END ME SCOOB posted:

As a philosophy minor: those books are half-assed trash that people who couldn't become professors write to justify their mistake of a degree which rarely, if ever, go more than surface level in philosophy so they can justify having spent a year on someone's couch watching/playing (topic) as "research".

If you legitimately want some good explorations of the topic I can pull a few selections.

I always got the impression that it was mostly adjuncts and younger professors knocking out something fast and easy for a little walking around money. I've never read an essay in one of them that was any good but I mean, generally nothing any more offensive than when I'm floundering in a lesson plan and just throw in some facile pop-culture thing because I know it'll get a flash of recognition and make a concept slightly easier to get a handle on. So I mean yeah, I agree that they're pretty bad and/or, at best, geared towards VERY entry level philosophy readers, but I feel a lot of sympathy for the contributors. I'd do one if they did them in my field, I wouldn't be proud of it, but like, if someone wanted to pay me to write about the duality of Nightcrawler's penises I wouldn't hesitate for a second. As far as slightly dubious side-gigs in academia go you could do far worse.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Apr 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Samuringa posted:

Not only that but she also came up with some original ideas which might've been the first time a judge decided a case by writing some fanfic

I would love to read about Simon Bolivar getting a load of an idealistic young Spawn hot on his heels.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

cubicle gangster posted:

Is there a thread for stuff like Adrian tomine & other drawn & quarterly type things in this subforum or is it for superhero comics only? Had a poke in the book barn and didn't see anything there either.

There's an indie comics megathread but it still tends to skew significantly towards, if not super-hero comics, then fantasy and sci-fi stuff. Not entirely but I mean if you want to start a conversation about Tomine you might want to start a new thread.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Jedi posted:

Off the top of my head, Waldenbooks, B. Dalton, and Borders no longer exist, and neither do quite a few local mom and pop book stores. To pretend that all of them had incompetent management is disingenuous at best. Amazon was a huge contributor to that - and they sell a Kindle. To pretend that digital sales have no impact also isn't fair. The medium is changing. Just like you'll have difficulty finding a local typewriter repairman - there will come a time that physical books are considered a quaint affectation.

Waldenbooks was a subsidiary of Borders though so I'd imagine they went down with that ship.

edit:

Rhyno posted:

Borders laughed in their faces. W all know how that worked out. Also waldenbooks was owned by Borders.
uhh, yeah, what he said!

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Apr 23, 2017

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Reminder that it's been a little over a year since this incident:

If Will Eisner's so great than how come Frimme Hersh's rear end isn't out and about to teach us all about getting STEM degrees?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Schneider Heim posted:

Who is Aaron Diaz and why should we care?

He does a dumb webcomic where people with shiny butts wax poetic about cyberpunk.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Ghostlight posted:

Everyone burnt the living poo poo out of him on every part of it from suggesting that Eisner was mediocre to minimising being a Jew in the early 20th century, so he deleted it and posted a comprehensive apology that definitely didn't make him look like an even bigger dickhole.

https://twitter.com/dresdencodak/status/721780748248715264

This raises more questions than it answers.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Jesus Wizard, leave Whoopi Goldberg alone.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Edge & Christian posted:

I mean, if you cherrypick things 1994 featured:

Dark Horse was publishing Sin City, Martha Washington, Madman, Eddie Campbell's Bacchus, Concrete, Flaming Carrot, the Tale of One Bad Rat, Badger, Grendel, Instant Piano, and a debuting book called Hellboy.

DC had James Robinson and Tony Harris on Starman, Ostrander/Mandrake's Spectre, Ennis/McCrea on Demon, Waid/Wieringo on Flash, plus Sandman, Shade, Ennis Hellblazer, Sandman Mystery Theatre, Books of Magic and the Invisibles at Vertgo. Milestone was hitting its stride with year 2 of its core four titles and adding new titles including Xombi.

You also had the debut of Acme Novelty Library, new issues of Eightball, Hate, Naughty Bits, Love & Rockets, Milk & Cheese, Dork, Optic Nerve, Jim, AKA Goldfish, probably a bunch of other things I'm forgetting.

Marvel and the big properties at DC were pretty much a mess, but in terms of films The Flintstones Movie and Santa Clause were Top 10 box office draws, the top songs of 1994 were by Ace of Base, All-4-One, and Celine Dion, etc.

It's A Good Life If You Don't Weaken was also getting serialized, Underwater started, and there was a really good stretch of Bone. And to be totally fair to Marvel Generation X started strong I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I feel like this queston is only tricky if you consign yourself to big 2 superhero comics because otherwise you'll never run out of choices-- tons of manga, tons of small press and indie stuff, a lot of Euro comics from Herge to Moebius, lots and lots of older newspaper strips, etc.

But for the sake of argument-- The Spirit, and Kyle Baker's Plastic Man.

Edit: Oh, duh. Jack Cole's Plastic Man too. Three cheers for Plastic Man.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Apr 28, 2017

• Locked thread