Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
So I started watching this while waiting for the new twin peaks last night and goddamn it is bad. The writing on this show is actually atrocious and max cringe. I will say though that the general conceit of the show and the whole mystery and the tapes makes it a very addicting and compelling watch. But then, watching the show, I hate a lot of these characters and the writing man. A bunch of these people are so bad at acting like Tony. I'll end up laughing by the end of some scenes by just how awkwardly staged they are or even when anyone starts talking.

You can definitely feel like this is a young adult version of a mystery drama. From the music choices, to the high school life, it very much feels like a suicide story told through a The OC lens or some poo poo.

I'll probably end up finishing the show but theres no way you can say this is quality tv.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

TheBizzness posted:

I love Twin Peaks but boy howdy did half of what you just described fit it like a glove.

Not trying to compare this to twin peaks because that would be dumb and also hilarious, but I'm on episode 6 now and the cringe lines still keep coming. The Honor board or whatever was hilarious because it conveniently placed a lot of the main cast in it to talk about the Hannah suicide in a not so discreet manner lol. And the show constantly wants to show you how cool it is with its references. Like yeah thats right guys we just totally referenced the movie Psycho hehehe :cool:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
So I just finished the show and after reading this thread over and seeing everyone else's reactions, I don't understand how theres so much praise for how the show handled anything at all really. The show was definitely getting worse towards the end as more things are revealed. I felt like the show wasn't going to be able to deal with how everything converged at the end and then they just kept throwing in more and more crazy poo poo happening.Of course Jeff died, of course Justin lives with a psycho meth dealer, of course they plant weed on Clay's backpack, of course Tyler starts to stock up on guns and will probably end up shooting the school and of course Alex shoots himself.

Like come on man, a lot of it was just lovely writing and ultimately playing into that fantasy of making these revenge tapes so finally some justice can be done. I do agree that they handle some things well and how they depict school. It sucks so hard and people are very lovely sure. But the situations kept escalating to the point of exaggeration. Which would be fine if people were treating what this show really is instead of praising it as "the one good teen drama about suicide." It was way too cute, especially any time an indie sad song played over a conversation. Its entertaining and gripping at times, but goddamn they don't stick the landing. They leave poo poo wide open and pull a classic Netflix season finale where there will obviously be a second season. They don't make good on a lot of these plot threads and just feels like the last episode didn't happen except for that confrontation with the counselor (which was the loving worst, like come ON man lmao. OF COURSE finally we will have Clay give out his form of justice I guess. Go to the loving authorities instead you rear end in a top hat lmao).

Honestly I only kept watching because of the addicting/compelling format. You focus on a new character each episode and they develop them well. The writing was just loving awful, spotty acting (Tony for the most part but others were bad too) and just having the plot go off the rails by the end.

• Locked thread