Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Just finished this as well, here are my thoughts. I'll assume that spoiler tags are not needed at this point in the thread.

- The first 5 or so episodes were quite a chore to get through, and I don't know if I would have persisted if I didn't have a history with depression myself and wanted to see what they would do with the topic. These first few episodes feel very much like a ham-fisted typical teen drama (or at least, from my limited experience with them) albeit with a very original and creative format. The dialogue is often clunky and Hannah's early narrations come off as cringey because early on it seems like typical angst over high school drama. However, once we dive into the depths of the other characters' lives, this does start to shine and I found it pretty gripping by the final 1/3rd. Perhaps this was the intention since the target demographic is probably teens.

- I feel that they made it just apparent enough that Hannah had underlying mental issues that the whole thing worked for me and I don't have any complaints about it. She kept everything inside the entire show and she actively pushed away those who did try to help her (Clay, the poetry people, her parents, etc). There is one final nod to this right before she commits suicide from the librarian guy. I found it entirely believable, a person prone to depression could be driven toward suicide after getting caught in a downward spiral of poo poo.

- I don't feel that Hannah's rape undermines everything preceding it. It and the terrible counselor's conversation were just confirmation in her mind that she is worthless to the world.

- I was actually quite happy that Clay did not have any dark secrets. We have enough morally ambiguous lead characters today. I went from thinking he was the most boring, milquetoast lead character ever to fully rooting for him by the end.

- I do think Hannah should have been given more of a personality, but I'm guessing this was a conscious decision to not make her too likable so the audience never fully sees her mindset as okay.

- The suicide scene was brutal. Hannah's mom's reaction is so real and heart wrenching. And it had to be this way, I don't know how anyone could think the show was glorifying suicide after that.

- I was a bit letdown by the ending since I think they really hurt the impact with so many "there could be a season 2!" elements.

- I lost track of the number of times a conversation on the show ends with one character getting frustrated and storming off, followed by the other character calling their name as they walk away.

- Tony would have been easier to stomach if he didn't just stare with this :smug: expression and tone for the first half of the show.

- I can't decide who treated Hannah the worst besides Bryce, but I'm leaning toward Courtney.

- A neat little touch I noticed is that any flashback scene where Hannah is alive is shot with warm white tones and heavier saturation, and every present day scene is shot with cool blue white tones and desaturated a bit.

I won't watch this again, but I don't regret watching it.

SweetMercifulCrap! fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Apr 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I don't think Clay actively did anything too douchey, his biggest crime was being really inept with talking to girls. But year during the first half of this I hated him and the endless shots of him staring off, contemplating, or awkwardly lying.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
He asks her about her clearly suicidal comment and she says it's nothing, but he clearly should have told others, her parents, something, other than letting it go.

And if a student says "another student raped me", you definitely don't say "oh well I guess you just have to let it go since you won't tell me who it is".

He's not a bad person for not following her like she assumed but his lack of action to what she told him was awful, distracted or not.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
You're like everyone else making GBS threads all over this, you watched the first two episodes and decided it's poo poo. I hated the first 5 or so episodes too but by the end I did not regret watching it at all.

Watch the rest or :getout:

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, we never even really see her rear end to know if it's the best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I felt the same way but about 2/3rds of the way through it seemed to finally get better, and after the final few episodes, I didn't regret watching it. It's true though that were it not for the addicting format (and having a history with depression myself) I would have probably stopped after the first or second episode.

• Locked thread