Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Good episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
The end tag having Mr PBH pulling that fcked up move, gives me suspicions that we’re actually moving towards the fake ending Rick and Morty dream up at the end of the Story Train where he’s totally evil.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

That was pretty well done. It's tough to take the 'trapped in a simulation' trope and manage to keep it fresh but I genuinely didn't catch on that Rick wasn't in the hole until the reveal. Even though on a second watch they flat out say right at the start "you can't really be scared of anything if you know you're still in the hole" which means obviously everything with Rick and Diane and Morty embarrassing himself is pointless. It was good misdirection!

The monologue about fear was also one of my favourite parts.

"Everyone is scared of love, dipshit, you learn that in your twenties". And the idea that the smarter you are, the more you fear happiness because the more you understand how finite it is. That was well written.

jabby fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Dec 18, 2023

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Do you reckon that most people are too freaked out to bother getting their photo taken, or that the hole kills most people so there are only four survivors, or just that very few people ever get in the hole or what?

Fancy Hat! posted:

The end tag having Mr PBH pulling that fcked up move, gives me suspicions that we’re actually moving towards the fake ending Rick and Morty dream up at the end of the Story Train where he’s totally evil.

I've thought this since the episode aired. But my guess is that it won't be the finale, it'll be the second last episode.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

jabby posted:

That was pretty well done. It's tough to take the 'trapped in a simulation' trope and manage to keep it fresh but I genuinely didn't catch on that Rick wasn't in the hole until the reveal. Even though on a second watch they flat out say right at the start "you can't really be scared of anything if you know you're still in the hole" which means obviously everything with Rick and Diane and Morty embarrassing himself is pointless. It was good misdirection!

:same: Didn't catch onto it even though it's exactly the same trick as the first simulation episode

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Open Source Idiom posted:

Do you reckon that most people are too freaked out to bother getting their photo taken, or that the hole kills most people so there are only four survivors, or just that very few people ever get in the hole or what?

My guess is that most people just aren't stupid enough to jump in a big creepy hole. I sure as hell wouldn't; would you?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I've thought this since the episode aired. But my guess is that it won't be the finale, it'll be the second last episode.

if the waiter mentioned it out of hand it must be a known attraction that gets frequent visitors. I doubt only 3 ever tried over the apparently decades the hole has been there, so given how insanely powerful the hole entity is...probably the rest all died and fed it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Skippy McPants posted:

My guess is that most people just aren't stupid enough to jump in a big creepy hole. I sure as hell wouldn't; would you?

Hell yeah. You basically speedrun therapy or die trying.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Tiny Myers posted:

Rick being initially extremely ready to leap in the hole, especially because Morty mentioned Diane, but having the growth, restraint, and willingness to trust Morty to not jump in himself.

Yeah, it'd be easy to say Rick didn't do much this episode but he didn't really NEED to. He got his big wrap-up episode mid-season and his arc now seems to be about slowly becoming a better person through hard work rather than epiphanies.

That fact that he didn't jump in the hole and instead let Morty have this to himself, he resisted the urge to show he could do anything Morty can do and instead let Morty's picture go up there alone, shows how much character development he's had over the course of the show.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Hell yeah. You basically speedrun therapy or die trying.

I'd rather live in fear than die in a puddle of toilet water.

Excelzior posted:

if the waiter mentioned it out of hand it must be a known attraction that gets frequent visitors. I doubt only 3 ever tried over the apparently decades the hole has been there, so given how insanely powerful the hole entity is...probably the rest all died and fed it.

We don't even know if anyone dies. All that stuff about dying and the hole feeding on fear was poo poo said inside the hole. It's unreliable. Maybe they just clean old pictures off the corkboard every few months.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Dec 18, 2023

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

Skippy McPants posted:

Fear and Hunger 2 taught me what a bad idea this is :(

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Skippy McPants posted:

I'd rather live in fear than die in a puddle of toilet water.

We don't even know if anyone dies. All that stuff about dying and the hole feeding on fear was poo poo said inside the hole. It's unreliable. Maybe they just clean old pictures off the corkboard every few months.

yes and no, the salesman admitted it feeds on fear when they first inspected the bathroom and watched the VHS tape ("fish that nibble on the excess skin off your feet") and he has no reason to lie about that

and one of the pictures on the corkboard is the guy who emerged from the hole in the video - if they're cleaning out the corkboard periodically, they're keeping the original dude for..reasons?

but yes the whole thing about them visibly aging and getting ill inside and rick being some kind of delicatessen to the hole was all unreliable nonsense

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Also maybe the dude is a lovely salesman, and Rick and Morty are just easy marks.

Again, let's go to Denny's and jump in a toilet hole covered in wet hair isn't really a pitch I'm buying.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I really liked how Rick didn't take Morty's picture with the camera, he took a picture out of his wallet and pinned it up. Just the extra little bit of thought to say that Rick keeps a picture of Morty with him at all times. I really appreciate small touches like that.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

The more I think about it, the more it makes total sense that Morty's greatest fear is being seen as replaceable by Rick. Rick left his entire original family behind to die, destroyed multiple alternate Earths, and showed him the 'Morty market' on the citadel where he literally gets vat-grown in bulk. And that's not even counting the two crows thing.

Out of all the 'biggest fears' the idea that after all their adventures he'd get killed and Rick would replace him without a second thought is very character-appropriate.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

jabby posted:

The more I think about it, the more it makes total sense that Morty's greatest fear is being seen as replaceable by Rick. Rick left his entire original family behind to die, destroyed multiple alternate Earths, and showed him the 'Morty market' on the citadel where he literally gets vat-grown in bulk. And that's not even counting the two crows thing.

Out of all the 'biggest fears' the idea that after all their adventures he'd get killed and Rick would replace him without a second thought is very character-appropriate.

I think it also subtly communicates that Morty doesn't actually need Rick: he can solve his own problems and face his own fears, by himself, and come out fine. But that also doesn't make him Evil Morty.

Still, Rick's reaction after Morty finally "got out" of the hole was genuinely touching and shows how much he has changed. It's easy to imagine, like...Season 3 Rick mocking Morty or doubting his experience of the hole or putting him down. Instead, Rick accepts that he doesn't know what Morty's experience was but that it was intense and he's just proud of Morty for overcoming it.
And you know, he carries a picture of Morty with him at all times, which is really sweet and tells us Rick really does care about *this specific Morty*.

That was a really great season, even if it had a rough start and had a few bumps along the way.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Kurgarra Queen posted:

I think it also subtly communicates that Morty doesn't actually need Rick: he can solve his own problems and face his own fears, by himself, and come out fine. But that also doesn't make him Evil Morty.

Yeah, it would've undercut the message for Morty to 'overcome' the fear by realising he does matter to Rick. Instead he realises Rick's opinion of him isn't that important. Feels like some of the writers may have been to therapy themselves.

Kurgarra Queen posted:

Still, Rick's reaction after Morty finally "got out" of the hole was genuinely touching and shows how much he has changed. It's easy to imagine, like...Season 3 Rick mocking Morty or doubting his experience of the hole or putting him down. Instead, Rick accepts that he doesn't know what Morty's experience was but that it was intense and he's just proud of Morty for overcoming it.
And you know, he carries a picture of Morty with him at all times, which is really sweet and tells us Rick really does care about *this specific Morty*.

That was a really great season, even if it had a rough start and had a few bumps along the way.

It was a nice touch that after an awkward pause Rick is actually about to hug Morty back before he gets pushed away.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

jabby posted:

It was a nice touch that after an awkward pause Rick is actually about to hug Morty back before he gets pushed away.

Also Morty not wanting the return hug because it would be too nice, which would make him worry he's still in the hole.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

One of the best episodes of the entire show, IMO.

High concept sci-fi rigmarole with the right blend of cynicism and heart

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Enjoyed that one, it was the first episode in quite a while that felt like the show at its peak (around seasons 2 and 3 imo). I think that's mostly because those episodes were taking well-worn genre ideas (hive minds, mini-universes, fake memories, etc) and going nuts with them, and "the hole/cave/room with your Greatest Fear" is just such an idea. Not sure how many of them are left, honestly

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

MJeff posted:

I really liked how Rick didn't take Morty's picture with the camera, he took a picture out of his wallet and pinned it up. Just the extra little bit of thought to say that Rick keeps a picture of Morty with him at all times. I really appreciate small touches like that.

sorry to ruin the moment but he's just carrying Morty's picture to do "have you seen this guy anywhere" on the hundreds of adventures where they've become separate from each other

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

ymgve posted:

sorry to ruin the moment but he's just carrying Morty's picture to do "have you seen this guy anywhere" on the hundreds of adventures where they've become separate from each other

Also, he seemed pretty casual about just leaving it on a corkboard in a Denny's bathroom.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

ymgve posted:

Parasol Prophet posted:

Also, he seemed pretty casual about just leaving it on a corkboard in a Denny's bathroom.

As someone who carries wallet photos it's not that the photo itself is the specific sentimental object, it's a thing you take out when you are stressed or want to be reminded. Rick can easily replace the picture pretty quickly, but this shows that he specifically keeps one.

Also re: the "have you seen this boy" thing, Rick probably has a device on his wrist that can project a full 3D hologram of Morty as needed. Not to mention probably having all sorts of redundant tracking implants. The "photo in the wallet" tell is specifically a sentimental thing, not a practical thing.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

It sounds like the voice actors have really settled in to the roles, or I've just become more accustomed to them. They sounded a tiny bit different at the beginning of the season, but I legit couldn't tell the difference in this episode.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
I genuinely never even notice or remember there are new voice actors until one of you fuckers say something.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Nikumatic posted:

I genuinely never even notice or remember there are new voice actors until one of you fuckers say something.

Don't worry, we'll keep reminding you!

I agree that they really settled in as the season went on. The last couple of episodes, my ear didn't snag on any differences at all.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I just realised that Ricks arrogant little theory at the beginning of the episode that Mortys fear was all about him leaving Morty was actually right. Just not in such a trite way

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

The hole killing people was a lie by the hole to snap Morty into action. Notice he wasn't dying after he got out of that layer.

The VHS was telling the truth. The hole wants you to succeed.

I just figure most people just fail and the janitor pulls them out after the 1 AM rush.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

The new Morty actor is always noticeable but what the hell, it sounds like old Morty going through puberty so it'll grow on me.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Adder Moray posted:

The hole killing people was a lie by the hole to snap Morty into action. Notice he wasn't dying after he got out of that layer.

That's just what the hole wants you to think.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Adder Moray posted:

The VHS was telling the truth. The hole wants you to succeed.

I just figure most people just fail and the janitor pulls them out after the 1 AM rush.

Yeah, the hole seems perfectly satisfied with feeding on Morty's fear and letting him go. And it's just a hole, there'd be a bunch of bodies down there if it actually killed people.

Suit Guy and Morty basically speedrunning all the cliches was really fun though. Is there a hole in the Dennys INSIDE the hole? No-one cares, not even gonna check. Is Rick's secret that he has the MOST fear? No, just a normal amount. Is Rick actually afraid of LOVE? No, love scares everyone.

EDIT: I just realised Rick has a line to Diane relatively early on: "You're the only thing I can't replace." Made total sense in context, but has added meaning when we know Morty's real ultimate fear.

jabby fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Dec 19, 2023

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Skippy McPants posted:

Don't worry, we'll keep reminding you!

I agree that they really settled in as the season went on. The last couple of episodes, my ear didn't snag on any differences at all.

For me the sweet spot was the Evil Morty/Rick Prime episode which was great because it obviously featured a variety of Morty's and Ricks. I assumed they didn't necessarily record them in order anyway, but it makes sense to leave some of the heavier lore ones like that and this one until they were more settled in (honestly if I had to bet I'd assume those were the last two recorded)

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
There wasn’t a Beth episode this season, was there?

Jerry and Rick had their mashup.
Summer had her Kuato.

I always like the family getting at least an episode per season to shine.

Great final episode. The part where Morty goes to see the guy at Denny’s in the rain was great. Between the sound design and the rain animation.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

That was really great. And sweet. And everybody hit every note I would when talking about why.

Only thing I haven't seen mentioned is that none of us, myself included, are talking about the new voice actors even at all anymore. I made it through the last few episodes without even remembering they're different now.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Other goons are literally discussing it on this page.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Other goons are literally discussing it on this page.
Ope. I missed it. Sorry.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
drat solid season, you go Rick and Morty, be South Park quality and keep nailing it JUST often enough. You'll never be the best but give me 2-4 of those a season and you got this.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Son of a bitch Mr. Poopy Butthole straight up Fringe'd himself

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Morty's voice hasn't been as good, doesn't have quite the range. Rick's just fine though and they're both good enough to let me forget about it and enjoy watching the show.

This season has been the best of the last 3. Some duds but the hits are some of the shows best (I'd list them out but I think there's already a consensus).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Tom Tucker posted:

Son of a bitch Mr. Poopy Butthole straight up Fringe'd himself

Stole this spot from a YouTube comment but after PB replaces himself he starts eating with his utensils in the wrong hands.