Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Fine episode. My comments:

1. This was interesting because it doesn't end the season with some immediate unresolved threat or what next? dilemna. I guess the characters' relationship is moved forward. Although...

2. I don't want Rick to change too much. Don't make the lesson that even a sociopathic, psychopathic, pained beyond comprehension genius can be healed by love for his grandson. He loves Morty. But he's also the Rickest Rick. Risk his own life to save Morty's? Sure, most of the time. Risk both their lives for fun? Definitely, always. Slightly inconvenience himself to spare Morty serious physical and emotional pain? Never.

3. The facial expressions were so well animated! Morty had a few good ones. But the first place goes to Summer not skipping a single beat when Rick and Morty come in talking about how they sh*t their pants. SE01 Summer would have shouted gross, yelled at them, or at least rolled her eyes. SE07 Summer has seen some poo poo.

4. Someone above mentioned that the hole should or predicted it might return for the penultinate episode of a season/the series. That reminded me that GoT usually had their big, most important episode be the second-to-last with the finale left to explore the consequences at a slower pace. This was kind of sort of that except the big bad came a few episodes prior.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Dec 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Bright Bart posted:

2. I don't want Rick to change too much. Don't make the lesson that even a sociopathic, psychopathic, pained beyond comprehension genius can be healed by love for his grandson. He loves Morty. But he's also the Rickest Rick. Risk his own life to save Morty's? Sure, most of the time. Risk both their lives for fun? Definitely, always. Slightly inconvenience himself to spare Morty serious physical and emotional pain? Never.

Er...Main Rick is not a sociopath or a psychopath, he is specifically defined by being one of the small handful of Rick's who actually chose their Diane/Beth, has been driven by guilt over losing them and has been trying to fill that void with revenge/replacement families/drinking/etc. All his posturing about "infinite versions of my family" has largely been shown to be posturing as he continues to get close to specific versions of them and very much care about their well being (in his own super dysfunctional way)

Like the very episode that introduces the concept of the "Rickest Rick" also has another Rick mocking Main Rick for crying over memories of baby Morty...

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

We have an episode from several seasons ago where he puts his collar on Morty in the split timeline episode because he only has one working one, and immediately starts making peace with death and saying "be good, Morty. Be better than me". That's not risking his life, that's textually making the choice to sacrifice himself for his grandson. That's not sociopathy.

It's also not making the case that he can be healed by "love for his grandson". It's making the case that people can change and improve by learning to open themselves up, outgrowing toxic mindsets and working through old traumas through various means, such as getting therapy. And Rick is literally getting therapy.

It's a really good message and nothing so trite as the POWER OF LOVE or whatever.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
So much of the episode was about the newer, better version of Rick with Diane. Like yeah it's all Morty's fears, but you can extrapolate that Morty thinks Rick has gotten so much better that he might be able to have healthy relationships again, which says a lot about Rick beyond loving his grandkids.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

You know what? I can admit I was wrong and I want to do so.

Sociopathy is in a sense binary but also a matter of degree. And I think Rick might score high enough on a psychometric test to raise eyebrows. But I shouldn't have thrown that word around like that, and I'm not about to diagnose a a character in a cartoon I haven't seen most episodes in a long time. It's not even a real diagnosis anymore and only overlaps incompletely with what is meant to replace it.

I guess I just don't want things to change too much because I like the dynamic and Rick's character. In a real world situation I'd of course want to see him get better. Even in a life-action show maybe. But this is animated wackiness.

One change in dynamics I am all for is what kind of happened with Morty and Summer (unless I'm missing something here too). Siblings that annoy each other? Lame. Very lame. Siblings that like each other? Cool. That's why I like the kids on Bob's Burgers. Siblings that actively compete with each other for attention? Also cool. Siblings that argue about insane sh*t in insane situations and not just petty teenage bs? The coolest. Cycle between all three? You got my vote.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I mean to that point I don't think this is going to become a show about Rick just being a kind hearted grandpa who gets a tear in his eye every time Morty hits another milestone, but it's kind of always been a show straddling this line about how much of Rick's antics are him just not caring vs caring in a dysfunctional way.

Again, the episode I mentioned with the "Rickest Rick" exchange was at the end of the very first season, it's not like he has gotten significantly more or less sentimental in the 6 seasons after that. If you just want Rick to do something that appears casually cruel and fucks with Morty/the family I'm sure there's still plenty of that to come.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

just this season we had rick feeding the family corpses for dinner - for weeks

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
There's a difference hosed up and hosed up and self-destructive. He still has like 40 years of spiraling into his own extremes in response to Diane's death. That's never going to get walked back into him just being that dude tinkering in his garage and hanging out with his family. Conversely, the entire point of his character is that after doing a bunch of insane bullshit he just....went to Rick Prime's garage and hung out with his family. That is fundamentally something he always wanted to do. A healthier Rick is basically the Pet Cemetery bit. He starts making GBS threads on it but gets past it to start experimenting. Old Rick would just poo poo on it and move on. For the viewer? It's Rick and Morty loving around in Pet Cemetery. That's fun. It's healthier and it's fun.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Excelzior posted:

Hey, even Morty admitted that it really brought the family together in a way that game night never could. So what's some near-cannabalism :).

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Excelzior posted:

The spaghetti episode was basically a showcase of every character's growth over the series.

Rick cares enough about his family now to WANT to have a nice meal with them, but he still does it in the most hosed-up way possible. Morty is jaded enough that he doesn't immediately veto the idea but also confident enough he manipulates Rick into making the situation a hundred times worse.

And the rest of the family aren't even that phased by corpse-spaghetti but more annoyed that Morty ruined it for them.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Mulva posted:

There's a difference hosed up and hosed up and self-destructive. He still has like 40 years of spiraling into his own extremes in response to Diane's death. That's never going to get walked back into him just being that dude tinkering in his garage and hanging out with his family. Conversely, the entire point of his character is that after doing a bunch of insane bullshit he just....went to Rick Prime's garage and hung out with his family. That is fundamentally something he always wanted to do. A healthier Rick is basically the Pet Cemetery bit. He starts making GBS threads on it but gets past it to start experimenting. Old Rick would just poo poo on it and move on. For the viewer? It's Rick and Morty loving around in Pet Cemetery. That's fun. It's healthier and it's fun.

Yeah, like, think about the episode where Rick returns to his original universe and everything is forcibly playing out the same day on repeat, even as its inhabitants age, and when reminded of this Rick says "right, I used to drink drink". A man so powerfully ruined by grief that his entire universe stopped that day, playing out that same day on repeat in his head, and he made everyone else's stop with it: collectively ruining their lives, too, to the point that they beg him to end the farce. Also programmed holograms of the scene to replay it, and programmed his own house to haunt him forcibly - his dead wife's voice taunting him over and over about being unable to find the murderer of his wife and child. A voice unable to be muted, and just similar enough that sometimes you can pretend she's still alive.

That's all stuff he got over before the show even started (in the sense he did that at the worst depths of his self-destruction and would probably no longer do that particular thing by S1 E1, obviously not that he moved past his grief in totality), and shows just how wide a spectrum of "Rick Sanchez is hosed up" exists. He will always be hosed up, but there are varying levels of hosed up, and varying levels of hurting himself/others because of it.

Rick will probably never not be the guy who willingly eats the suicide spaghetti, willingly supplies it to his family without mentioning where he got it. But he's no longer the guy who did all that poo poo. Probably not even the guy who made Morty stick big pointy seeds up his bunghole to pass customs. And... that's a really good thing that should be celebrated! I don't think the show's gonna go to hell or become boring over it.

Tiny Myers fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Dec 19, 2023

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
whomst among us wouldn't eat the people pasta

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I have a much harder time eating spaghetti in real life now after watching a loving cartoon, so uh... not me.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

TheKingofSprings posted:

whomst among us wouldn't eat the people pasta

...I would at least try it. Circle of life and all that.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The episode actually made me crave spaghetti so yeah id try it

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

If they consented to it (in an ethical, sustainable way, not the "consensual" hellscape shown in the show) then like, yeah, sure, I'll have a few bites, may as well not waste it

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Hell I'd make a person into spaghetti right now.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
I thought they did a good job showing that while Rick does genuinely care about his grandson, he's still hosed up. Like he's still not healthy enough to be able to drop his defenses and tell Morty to his face that he cares about him and he's proud of him for making it through the hole, or let him see that he keeps the photo. Rick can have positive attachments to the people in his life, but he's still gonna express it in a hosed up way. That depiction works really well for my view of him. Plus it works for the show, and allows for some gradual growth. Really makes me think of a "this is what happens when someone stops drinking" vibe. He's not totally dead inside anymore (I CARE NOW) but he was using alcohol so long to avoid dealing he hasn't really learned better ways to like, be human. Don't worry, recovery is a bumpy as gently caress ride, we've got lots of adventures left.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

if the remaining three seasons (for now) are on par with season 7 I would be completely fine with it; not every episode has been my jam but it seems to be a common theme in the feedback due to how wide the themes and episode concepts the show covers - there's something for everyone, but not everything for just anyone

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

XboxPants posted:

I thought they did a good job showing that while Rick does genuinely care about his grandson, he's still hosed up. Like he's still not healthy enough to be able to drop his defenses and tell Morty to his face that he cares about him and he's proud of him for making it through the hole, or let him see that he keeps the photo. Rick can have positive attachments to the people in his life, but he's still gonna express it in a hosed up way. That depiction works really well for my view of him. Plus it works for the show, and allows for some gradual growth. Really makes me think of a "this is what happens when someone stops drinking" vibe. He's not totally dead inside anymore (I CARE NOW) but he was using alcohol so long to avoid dealing he hasn't really learned better ways to like, be human. Don't worry, recovery is a bumpy as gently caress ride, we've got lots of adventures left.
This is a good post. You can really feel at certain moments that he just genuinely doesn't understand what to do with the more toxic coping mechanisms removed, but he's at least not falling back on them.

Excelzior posted:

if the remaining three seasons (for now) are on par with season 7 I would be completely fine with it; not every episode has been my jam but it seems to be a common theme in the feedback due to how wide the themes and episode concepts the show covers - there's something for everyone, but not everything for just anyone
I also feel this way. Like, not every episode hit for me personally, but even if they didn't, they were at least watchable. And the majority of them were so good that I don't really care.

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
It's not cannibalism because they're not human. I think. You know, these fuckers really need to get some forehead ridges or something. This is redic-u-rick.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

It's pretty weird but not at all unexpected that it's easier for Rick to create beings that retain enough of their humanoid physiology and psychology to both still turn into spaghetti upon suicide and kill themselves while at the same time being different enough to not have their suffering be abominable to the other humanoids they're derived from, rather than make something equally delicious.

Also, is it every explained just how Rick came upon the knowledge that this is particularly tasty pasta? I'm going to give the benefit of the doubt and say his super brain did the quick math on the chemistry involved. The alternative is sheer curiosity forced him to try it or it was just more convenient than going back to the car for a protein bar.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Bright Bart posted:

It's pretty weird but not at all unexpected that it's easier for Rick to create beings that retain enough of their humanoid physiology and psychology to both still turn into spaghetti upon suicide and kill themselves while at the same time being different enough to not have their suffering be abominable to the other humanoids they're derived from, rather than make something equally delicious.

Also, is it every explained just how Rick came upon the knowledge that this is particularly tasty pasta? I'm going to give the benefit of the doubt and say his super brain did the quick math on the chemistry involved. The alternative is sheer curiosity forced him to try it or it was just more convenient than going back to the car for a protein bar.

He could have just found the universe where they made really good spaghetti :thejoke:

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Maybe he looks around for weird obscure things, learns about this planet where people who die via suicide have different insides than those who don't, looked into it and found spaghetti.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It's probably easier for Rick to a do a lot of things than the stuff he actually does, but he honestly has very poor foresight and tends to not think things through.

Like tons of the stuff he does has very little point, as he does not really have any goals. I think Jerry was 100% right that he wastes his brain.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
It's the whole thing where Rick would never admit it but he's super hosed up by the meaninglessness of infinity and he feels like nothing matters. He uses it as a shield for ruining billions of lives, but it also means that nothing he accomplishes really matters. Everybody else in the show deals with it in their own way and a theme of the show is Rick getting better about dealing with it, but yeah, he wastes a lot of time and potential.

I liked the contrast with Evil Morty just spending his time carving out a little bit of personal paradise in the chaos and making it a little better with each adventure.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Mraagvpeine posted:

Maybe he looks around for weird obscure things, learns about this planet where people who die via suicide have different insides than those who don't, looked into it and found spaghetti.

he was investigating why they pronounce parmesan weird in this dimension

Caros
May 14, 2008

Bright Bart posted:

The funny thing is, the weird mutant version probably is easier.

Think about it this way. Having people who turn into spaghetti under really specific biological conditions? That is loving weird. The science behind it significantly advanced as to be magic, since nothing we know about biochemistry would ever have that happen. Trying to replicate that seems insanely difficult.

His solution though? That is sci-fi, but like... Near future sci-fi. Cloning, we can do it, just not at that scale. Hormones? We sort of understand them. Genetic mutations to make it a sort of lab grown meat? Again, this is getting closer by the day.

Making horrific suicide mutants is easier (and teaches Morty not to ask where his meals come from) so why would he bother doing something moderately difficult.

Rick is all about the path of least resistance, its why they are eating corpse pasta in the first place.

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Spaghetti-and-meatball-ification on Suicide as a response seems a bridge too far for me. It's likely a slower biological process taking years, culminating in the suicide.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
That implies a simple and delicious taste test for suicidal ideation.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Guy A. Person posted:

For me the sweet spot was the Evil Morty/Rick Prime episode which was great because it obviously featured a variety of Morty's and Ricks. I assumed they didn't necessarily record them in order anyway, but it makes sense to leave some of the heavier lore ones like that and this one until they were more settled in (honestly if I had to bet I'd assume those were the last two recorded)

This article about them makes me like the voice actors even more: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-features/rick-and-morty-voice-actors-interview-1235651361/

quote:

So both of you went out for both roles.

Belden: Most Rick and Morty fans don’t just imitate one of them. Ian and I have laughed because I thought my Rick was a lot stronger than my Morty, which shows how much I know.

Cardoni: And I thought during the audition process that my Morty was getting stronger. So, during the process, we were both up for both.

Belden: It was easily the longest and most intense audition process I’ve ever been a part of, but it was also the most fun. The people running the auditions kept throwing curveballs at us — things you’d never hear these characters doing — just to see if we could stay in character.

Co-creator Dan Harmon and showrunner Scott Marder told us they put you guys through this rigorous and exhausting process, trying to nail every potential nuance. What are examples of some of those curveballs?

Belden: Like, “What if Morty was just channeling Rick here?” “What if Morty wasn’t quite as submissive, but he was really dominating and angry here?” “What if he was being a bit cold and calculated, much like a certain Morty who wears an eyepatch?” You could tell they were having a lot of fun with us.

Cardoni: There was a session with Scott where I had to do some matching to Chris Parnell’s character, who had voiced his half of a combined being. That’s a skill to match existing animation but also match the timing of another actor without that actor being there. Also, toward the end, they brought in a vocal coach for us to work with — even before we were cast. What that showed me is that as rigorous and exhausting as that process was, they were looking out for us. It was a preview of how supportive and how conscious they were of not hurting our voices or going overboard.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Evil Morty had a definition of being evil that wasn't the typical one we use. Anyone recall?

And on that note, which character does that term, used in the typical way, apply to best?

Causing callous harm? Probably the Jellybean King from the early seasons.
Causing suffering for the pleasure of it? The wolf that mugs Jerry outside the motel.
And Rick's car did gun down a paediatrician in cold blood (circuits?).

Actually, it's surprising me writing this out how in a show with mass murder, genocide, destruction of planets, extinction of species, theft of things others need to survive while you just find useful, torture, and cannibalism, those are the clearest examples.

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

This post is accompanied by all the requisite visual and audio effects.

:blastback::woomy::blaster:
After finishing the season I'm glad the show is leaving its slump. The new voices are of course perfect and I don't have to think about Roiland anymore. The episodes were great with a couple of standouts and no true stinkers, and the writing on a granular level feels better. I want to emphasise this a bit more: no stinkers. How many seasons of R&M have no truly unwatchably bad episodes? It really shouldn't be difficult to make every episode at least good, given that each season only has 10 of them. I'm happy they're actually consistent now, so I can consistently expect a good time when I start an episode.

The writing just felt better. The jokes were much funnier and I laughed quite often (the fade-out pill and subsequent explanation in the first episode was a massively underrated moment).

It's crazy that this is a huge plus for me, but there was NO INCEST. Finally. No more loving incest plotlines, you've had your fill.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Bright Bart posted:

And Rick's car did gun down a paediatrician in cold blood (circuits?).

On rewatch I appreciate what a dumb rear end in a top hat the car is. Like the car acts all frustrated and put out that it has to go to extraordinary efforts to...not start a war with an entire alternate reality's military? And all because the simplest solution it could come up with for "loud prick banging on a car window" was "immediate execution without regard for witnesses or consequences". Of course assuming it's intentional, the characterization where the car wants to do all sort of chaotic and risky poo poo is expanded on further in the Bruce Chutpants episode.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
The hole guy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldsJ0IbOMJ8

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Guy A. Person posted:

On rewatch I appreciate what a dumb rear end in a top hat the car is. Like the car acts all frustrated and put out that it has to go to extraordinary efforts to...not start a war with an entire alternate reality's military? And all because the simplest solution it could come up with for "loud prick banging on a car window" was "immediate execution without regard for witnesses or consequences". Of course assuming it's intentional, the characterization where the car wants to do all sort of chaotic and risky poo poo is expanded on further in the Bruce Chutpants episode.

Given the way Rick treats his creations I'm absolutely not surprised that every AI he makes ends up in homicidal malicious compliance.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Given the way Rick treats his creations I'm absolutely not surprised that every AI he makes ends up in homicidal malicious compliance.

Remember Crow Horse?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I'm still waiting for butter-passer to ascend.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ghost Leviathan posted:

As the Robot in the finale said "WHY DO I HAVE MEMORIES OF ME AS A HUMAN CHILD!"

Rick just does weird stuff with the AI's he puts into things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Does the Hole guy remind anyone else of Rod Serling?