Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Anyone notice the Harmon's new end screen? Cause wow... brutal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

He was sitting happy next to a lady before right? Is this some post-divorce cry for help?

Yeah, this was the old one,

Harmon is known to be a pretty depressed guy, and well, divorce rarely improves one's mood.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Fancy Hat! posted:

Its so in character cause Morty's always on the cusp of telling Rick to gently caress off, to eventually get shot down.

Even if he's not that bright, being the one person in the galaxy who can actually stand up to Rick is the best thing about Morty. The bit with the fake gun and the stand-off in the most recent episode is another great example.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Because goons have no concept of personal boundaries.

Except extend this to the whole of the internet. For better or worse, social media has broken down a lot of the walls between creators and their audience. To the point that you almost have to go out of your way to not know too much about a person if they've made something popular at any point in their life.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Elite posted:

Probably my favourite part was the goons inside the compound coming up with some fairy tale backstory for why this strange pickle man was menacing them.

Farewell, Solenya...

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

WampaLord posted:

Nah, he's going to grow through struggling and become better, if not fully fixed yet.

This would be the funniest outcome. Both because it's unexpected, and because it would serve as another example for why getting the gently caress away from Rick is the best thing that can happen to anyone.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

And to be fair, I'm much more likely to eat an apple at random than to drink a glass of milk.

What I'm getting at is Jerry's a genius and Big Apple really missed their window.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

That might be a bit extreme, but it would be interesting to see how the fans and characters would react to Rick attempting another Rick Potion No. 9 style cop out.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Rick's also only willing to put in a certain amount of effort. Constantly replacing Jerry sounds like it goes way over that threshold.

Yeah, he could have easily sent Jaguar to a dimension where his daughter was still alive, but eh, lying was slightly less hassle, so he went with that.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I just finished rewatching the first two seasons, and now I think my favorite thing about this season so far is the way they don't cut back to Beth and Jerry's failing marriage every ten minutes. The interpersonal stuff is good, don't get me wrong, but they went back to the well way too many times on that one.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Mantis42 posted:

TBH, Venture Bros has really spoiled me with one-off spoof superheros with amazing gimmicks, the Vindicators didn't rate at all in comparison. Except Million Ants.

While I don't disagree, that was kind of the point. R&M was deliberately shooting for banality with their super team.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Sick of Everyone's poo poo Morty is the best Morty, I hope he sticks around.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

maskenfreiheit posted:

ok rick cares about morty... but is this morty rick's original morty from the pilot?

Almost certainly. Like, they could pull that twist if they wanted, but unless it happened very early on it would contradict Morty's character growth. He's way more genre savvy and fed up with Rick's bullshit than a 'stock' Morty would be.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

I also think part of this script is taking a dig at internet discussion of this show.

I think it's less of a direct response and more people's horrible reading of the show's themes being exposed as the characters grow and those themes become more overt.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

ElCondemn posted:

The whole point is that it's subjective, they think "healthy" is something that it isn't so they're still very flawed they just don't know it. The "toxic" behaviors like anxiety and co-dependence are what keep them from becoming sociopaths and nihilists.

Yeah. The point is that people are full of nuance. You can't just hack out the obvious flaws and call whatever's left a good person.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

And is probably the one who might change the most.

Yeah, Jerry is at least self-aware about his failings, which a first step towards improving. Beth is still stuck wallowing in stubborn denial.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Dienes posted:

Isn't it 'irrational attachments'?

It is, but in Rick's mind, irrational and unhealthy are always 100% synonymous.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Eiba posted:

I have no idea how someone could watch that episode and think, "Yep, Rick was right about what's toxic," when the whole point for both Rick and Morty was that toxicity is subjective and their definitions reveal further hosed up things about themselves.

Because people will always trend toward interpretations that align with their personal bias, and a bunch of folks think that Rick & Morty is an unironic endorsement of libertarianism and abject nihilism. These people are idiots.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

Right, it's like how Breaking Bad was an endorsement of getting into the drug trade and being a cool bad rear end drug producer.

There are a depressing number of people who mistake the likes of Walter White and Tony Soprano for heroes or role models simply because they were the protagonist.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

In the space of a gag our Rick was permanently killed-off and we're now following a clone/replica of him like in The Prestige. By now only Morty is his original-self.

The No-cloning Theorem has his back. So long as the original Rick is destroyed the new one can still be 'our' Rick.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Aug 29, 2017

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Good episode. Season 3 is far and away my favorite, up to this point. They're in that sweet spot where they have enough established material that they can riff people's expectations for the show and characters without it feeling stale.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Inspector Gesicht posted:

It's odd that there's still a space programme devoted to finding aliens when Earth was under Federation rule for a couple months, so the Menagerie thing must have happened before then.

Probably. The squirrel one also references Rick Potion #9, so it's safe to assume Morty's Mindblowers go back quite a ways.

For a second there, during the montage scene of Morty mainlining memory sticks, I thought we were maybe watching the origin of Evil Morty.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

General Dog posted:

"True level" was easily the best gag of the night

Probably makes the top-10 for the entire shot. I saw the punchline coming and still laughed. It was an excellent bit.

"I dabble in precision" is a quality line.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Sep 18, 2017

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Typical posted:

Umm well Its just F1V3 = Five, but I like your analysis.

Congratulations on becoming the posthumous author.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Gaunab posted:

I love how petty Rick was for making true level. He just sees Morty messing around with a leveling stick and has to show off his knowledge.

Even better is Morty's "Ugh, yes?" when Rick asks about experiencing True Level. He knows it won't end well, but he also knows that not going along with it will only prolong things.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

bull3964 posted:

Something Ricked this Way Comes has a lukewarm b plot with Pluto, but is gold otherwise. You have the butter robot, the devil, and Rick being very Rick.

"This was just a bit, like when Bugs Bunny fucks with the opera singer."

"Alright, I'm bored, everyone out."

It also has the best post-credits stringer, by far.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Squashy Nipples posted:

And Summer has really come a long way, she was much more of stereotypical vapid teenager then she is now.

That was also the first adventure with "our" Summer, as it came right after Rick Potion #9.

It's still kinda weird to rewatch episodes 1-5, scant as they are on character moments, and realize that Summer, Beth, and Jerry are frozen forever around a dining table in a Cronenberg hellscape.

Edit: Although, I guess it's even weirder considering we now know there was another dimensional jump after the squirrels and we have no idea where the split happened.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Sep 23, 2017

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Eifert Posting posted:

I mean they probably thaw.

I dunno. In the episode where Rick attempts suicide, he unfreezes a mini-Cronenberg to test the machine. That's a pretty long while, and even if the gun has a shorter stasis setting Rick isn't the kinda guy who'd bother with it.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I hope she ran. It's a bad choice, but it's consistent with her character.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

So Rick's clone plan was to kill the clone when Beth came back, right? That was the most disturbing part of the episode about a guy banging muppets and eating his babies.

That's a surprise? He also built robot versions of his family, designed to reset to factory default if they ever came close to obtaining sapients or free will. Pretty much that same thing, only with different materials.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

massive spider posted:

Who said Beth was cool or badass?

If she wanted to leave, she would want to leave the whole being a single mom behind thing too and would leave without the kids.

The implication is that she's (potentially) a poo poo parent just like Rick, who abandoned his kid first in the made-up land then later walked out entirely to have his fun space adventures.

Yeah, that scene didn't really play in a positive light, at least not for me. Beth came to some uncomfortable realizations about herself and asked for Rick's advice, but his advice was loving awful. He served up a false choice between running away or accepting mediocrity, with zero middle ground.

The moral isn't that Beth is a self-actualized badass, it's that Rick is poison. The show keeps beating people over the head with that simple point, but somehow it never sinks in.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

EatinCake posted:

Part of the difficulty of it is that the show relates that point over and over, but more often than not it's coming from Rick where he immediately rationalizes it. Or, even if he doesn't, that he's presented as the smartest guy in the world gives his philosophy more credibility.

But it's important to get that Rick rationalizing it isn't a valid justification. Self-awareness as an excuse is a favorite trick of abusive people who happen to be smart. Oh sure, they're bad but at least they're honest about their flaws and there's so much worse out there dontcha know. It's a lazy copout to avoid ever improving or trying to get healthy, and Rick exemplifies it to a tee.

The show gives us lots of peaks behind the curtain, to remind us that Rick's lovely worldview isn't an objective truth, but too many people gloss over those bits.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Yeah, a lot of the episode titles are bad. Considering how accomplished the rest of the writing is, I wouldn't be surprised if they go out of their way to pick the worst one after workshopping ideas.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Mokinokaro posted:

I'm betting Beth stayed.

Like her father, she loves her family deep down even if she can't always say it out loud.

I think that runs a bit contrary to how her character was presented up to that point, but eh, I could live with it.

What I really hope they don't do is leave the matter unresolved for the sake of a running joke. Rick presents it as a low-stakes, no wrong answers sort of deal, but that's only true for him personally. There are huge implications for everyone not Rick, and it would suck if they don't revisit the question.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Beth tries to come back, the clone kills her.

I'd also be okay with this, just so long as they don't try the same bit as Archer with leaving it totally ambiguous. That worked for Krieger because he's barely a charter and it didn't matter if he was a clone or not, but it does matter with Beth.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

J.A.B.C. posted:

Apparently not, because no on has found a toilet shaped like R2-D2 on Reddit. And they have been searching.

Heavy.com article on it.

The hope is that there was no toilet and writers knew people would drive themselves crazy trying to find it.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Wild Horses posted:

it's gratuitous at this point though

I... kinda agree. This wasn't the first regressive Jerry story and like the marriage subplot in season one and two, it gets perfunctory after a while. At least with Beth's stuff, it felt fresh because this was the first time she and Rick got together to hash out some of their baggage.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I like the laser on RIck's prosthetic arm that disintegrates stuff while also taking a core sample.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Jonas Albrecht posted:

He chooses to stay with his family, one who aren't going to give him special treatment anymore.

His expression at the end there was fantastic. He's not happy about the whole situation, but because of how attached he is to this iteration of the Smith family, he knows that anything else would leave him more miserable.

Top notch episode. They handled the clone thing better than I expected, and the comedic timing was on-loving-point. I can't remember the last time an episode of television got that many genuine laughs out of me.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Oct 2, 2017

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

HppyCmpr posted:

I still haven't landed on an opinion on the ending though, it seemed a little odd but we'll have to see how next season starts.

It was a deliberate inversion of how the first episode of this season ended, with the family resurgent and Rick knocked down a few pegs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

BizarroAzrael posted:

On that point, have we seen where Rick sleeps in the Smith household? Or is the garage his only space there?

We see his room in Close Rick-counters of the Rick Kind. He's probably never slept in there.