Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Alhazred posted:

It's certainly a take to blame this on Morty and not Rick who could have simply chosen not to feed his family people-spaghetti.

Kinda true though, what Rick was doing was distasteful but arguably didn't cause any suffering. How many thousands or millions suffered/died because of what Morty set in motion?

Personally I liked that at the end Rick takes a bite of the last 'spaghetti', looks shocked and then sighs. Felt like he thought he'd be the only one not affected by watching the guy's life and then realised it ruined the spaghetti for him too. Growing a conscience is hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Guy A. Person posted:

As is pointed out later in the episode, Rick can perfectly synthesize any material he comes across. If he discovered this phenomenon and thought the spaghetti was so delicious he wanted to share it he could have just perfectly copied the ingredients and recipe (and maybe even improved on them) instead of hauling corpses home and opening them up in the garage. This happened because Rick is some bizarre combination of lazy and amoralistic and possibly wanted to be caught so he could get into this whole debate in the first place.

I thought the "oh wait, I can synthesize a perfect copy if I get a sample" turned out to be bullshit though, since his real intention was to put everyone off eating it.

If he really could do that half the plots involving him needing megaseeds/crystals/whatever would never have happened.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Well drat. Pretty hosed up for Rick that Evil Morty shows up and achieves in a day what he'd been struggling to do his whole life.

I still love how loving done with everything Evil Morty is. And it's pretty gratifying that at the end he acknowledges that our Rick *might* be a bit different from the rest.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

So what do we think about the idea that Rick Prime killed every Diane across the multiverse?

I guess it answers the question of why C-137 didn't just hop to a different dimension and get his wife back, but I kind of preferred the idea that he's just a massive hypocrite. That he's happy to justify killing billions on the basis that there's infinite versions of them, but he refused to accept any version of Diane other than the original.

Also, doesn't it mean all the other infinite Ricks should be mad at Prime? What about Simple Rick, did he lose his Diane too?

It seems like kind of a big (B)ret-con since the bomb that blew up Diane also got Beth and we know she wasn't erased from reality. Maybe it's something Prime did after he realised our Rick was hunting him.

For what it's worth I do love the idea Evil Morty is smart enough not to use Prime's weapon because he knows it would just get him hunted across the universe. Dude really does just want to be left alone.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Skippy McPants posted:

Also, very small detail, but I love Evil Morty being grumpy during the sorting slide while everyone else is screaming. He is just so loving done with everything.

Rick assuming Evil Morty hates Rick Prime because "he's the worst Rick!" and getting rebuffed with "and the worst turd is a pizza" was hilarious.

That and everyone in the box freaking out when Indiana Jones Rick fires his gun while Morty just stands there bored until his force field takes the bullet.

jabby fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Nov 13, 2023

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Android Blues posted:

One of the best episodes the show's ever put out, I think. The fact that Rick would have died with all the other gimmicky chump Ricks if Evil Morty hadn't done half the work, and that Evil Morty chumps Rick Prime then hands Rick his meaningless, unsatisfying revenge in the most patronising way possible, is the perfect anti-climax to the big revenge arc.

"Knock yourself out".

Android Blues posted:

Rick thinks the whole universe is about him and about this, and this episode is like: no, it isn't, both the iterations of him we follow here are sick people chasing their worst impulses. Rick normally justifies his bad behaviour by framing himself as the smartest, most important person in the world, but no, he isn't that either, he only gets his hollow victory because Evil Morty thought it was meaningless enough to let him have it. It's also just really funny to see this dynamic play out, the incidental dialogue is great throughout the episode.

The intro showing that outside the curve infinite different people are inventing portal travel all the time did an excellent job of demolishing Rick's God status. The curve is the only thing that makes him special.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Gonz posted:

“You sucked at eating pusssyyyyyy!” and “I always thought your dick smelled weird!” out of goddamn nowhere.

“Come over here and give my ghost a big ol’ kisssssss! Mwah!”

Rick's "Hey Diane" in exactly the same voice he used to greet the 'haunting' AI in his home dimension.

Even when it's a killbot programmed by his nemesis he still treats it like some part of her.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

MJeff posted:

So I wanna talk about the stinger a bit because I think in addition to it being yet another example of excellent mostly silent short self-contained storytelling in this show (I kinda wanna do a breakdown of all of these, Morty's girlfriend, Rick's backstory, Fred's life, etc.), it ties into the themes of the episode and Rick's overall arc throughout the series in a really interesting way. The first layer is, oh, it's taking this one-note joke character from five seasons ago and parodying Rick's backstory with it, that's pretty funny. The second layer is, oh, poo poo, she actually found love again and two families that were broken (presumably both by Rick Prime?) were brought together and made whole again, this is actually really heartwarming. The third layer is, oh poo poo, Rick actually could've found another path, he didn't have to choose revenge, he could've chosen to move on, but of course, Rick can never move on, this is kind of heartbreaking.

But then the last shot of the stinger adds a fourth layer, because it shows that Auntie Slow (Auntie Mobius? Whatever) and her new husband keep their pictures of their first loves in a prominent space in their living room. It's not "become obsessed with revenge" or "move on", because they managed to keep their first loves with them and position them as the thing that brought this new family together in the first place. I think that shot is really important because otherwise it would kind of imply they forgot about their first loves and thus imply Rick's only chance to be happy is to forget Diane, but instead, the show chooses to show that you can carry your first love with you in a healthy way that still leads to healing, not just for yourself, but for others. And I think that is loving beautiful and, importantly, it shows that despite everything, there's still hope for Rick. He can still find happiness if he just finds it in himself to look for it.

Given that the only two times he's ever seemed fulfilled were with Birdperson and the Two Crows, I'm guessing some kind offfff avian-based happiness?

From the dialogue between Rick and Rick Prime it also seems possible Prime only used the Omega device *because* Rick started hunting him. It doesn't seem like he expected him to escape his own dimension after killing his family.

That and Evil Morty being smart enough to realise wiping out Rick was the wrong move if he wanted to be left alone makes the whole episode one big subversion of the revenge fantasy. Putting it mid-season so the viewer is left just as "what the hell do they do now?" as Rick himself at the end is just icing.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

SpeakSlow posted:

Yeah, Rick is the real villain here. He literally cherry-picked universes where only he invented portal travel, then CLUMSILY EDITED THE MULTIVERSE so that he would only interact with those worlds.

Fun fact: you can access the blender dimension from within the central finite curve.

So there's a blender Rick in the blender dimension, and he is the smartest thing there.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Kurgarra Queen posted:

He doesn't care, and considers the idea of being constantly attacked by revenge-driven Summers to be unbearably inconvenient.

Now that I think about it it's kind of a burn on Morty that he says he'd be fending off Summers rather than Mortys.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Regular Morty is kind of noticeable, just because he's struggling to match the more recent, confident/detached Morty tone. But it's not that big of a deal and Morty's voice varied a fair bit under Roland anyway. Evil Morty sounded fine to me, weirdly.

Considering they had to voice at least two versions of themselves I thought the artists knocked it out of the park this episode.

Sure, the voices are noticeably different from Roiland at times. But Evil Morty's deadpan snark was great and regular Morty's "OH poo poo! It's Evil Morty!" made me laugh out loud.

Rick nailed the "I'm gonna KILL YOU!" after Slowmobius and his voicing of Rick Prime during the beatdown was probably the best of the lot.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

One thing they didn't use that I kinda think would've fit Rick's character well would've been him trying to dive into the Omega Device when it looked like he was losing the fight.

I mean killing himself, Rick Prime, AND Prime's lifelong work of making Ricks into Gods all seem like upsides for our protagonist and the opportunity was right there.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Thinking about it, Morty's plot line wrapped up in Interdimensional Cable when Morty reveals the truth to Summer. So interesting that we're going into a clip show after this.

Moving dimensions really hosed Morty up though. I liked the semi-payoff we got in 6x1 when Original Jerry calls him out for not just bailing on their universe, but not even bothering to come and unfreeze them after the Citadel Ricks put them on ice. We know how easy it is for Rick to reverse, it would've taken all of two minutes, but instead Morty just let his original sister and mom die because he bought into Rick's "nobody matters" ethos.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

I enjoyed the little backstory that 'Evil Morty' originally came from a Morty agency on the Citadel. So either he lost his 'original' Rick before we met him or he's one of the vat-grown Mortys produced on the Citadel for sale.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Just those people though. Morty living outside Rick's artificial core doesn't preclude the existence of other or similar developments of order in the chaos, just that he isn't one.

Like he moved out of a neighborhood with a lovely HOA, moving to a new one would create similar problems to the ones he left behind.

I feel like the universe we met up with Evil Morty in had some sort of special affinity for portals, like it's the first place an unconfigured portal gun goes or something. I doubt everywhere in the multiverse is that chaotic.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Excelzior posted:

the very first thing he does is go to the Morty adoption agency on the Citdel and erase the records of a specific Morty (presumably himself)

The expression on his face in the database is a nice touch too.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

The Observers doing the Bane voice killed me, as did "THIS WENT ON FOR SEVERAL MORE GUNS"

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Personally I'm still enjoying the new dynamic between Rick and Morty over how it was in the first seasons. Morty trying to scam Rick by counting getting him a burger as an 'adventure', Rick actually acknowledging that Morty is only cashing in his cards to try and get him over his funk and thanking him.

It's nice to see a bit of permanent character development.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

I feel like the joke was 'Summer is insecure' rather than 'Summer is ugly'. Who knows the standards of random sky tentacles?

Also she literally has Jerry's face.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

massive spider posted:

It’s not clear who invented it

“You know the worst part about inventing teleportation? Suddenly, you're able to travel the whole galaxy, and the first thing you learn is, you're the last guy to invent teleportation.”

It’s possible what he means by this is that usually ricks invent portal travel, journey into the multiverse and discover the other ricks already with portal guns meaning that every Rick who does it independently feels like the latecomer.

C-137 Rick was working on a portal gun for local, not multiverses travel before prime Rick visited and told him about the multiverse.

Rick Prime says "the only other Rick to actually invent portal travel" when he sees C-137, implying all the other Ricks were given the technology.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

It does raise the question though: why did Rick Prime dedicate himself to giving portal tech to other versions of himself? He doesn't seem to actually care about other Ricks. And without the central finite curve his efforts would seem fairly pointless.

To be fair creating the curve seems more like a Rick Prime move, if what he actually wanted was a multiverse where 'he' dominates.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAaMVQsicKQ

And here was me thinking random guy telling Morty "see you at the Frolf mixer tomorrow" in last episode's post credits sequence was just a throwaway line.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Nephthys posted:

That's essentially what they were going to do at the end, just synthesise the spaghetti so no one has to die to make it. I assume that at first Rick was just too lazy to do it, it was easier to simply steal a corpse once a week. Then it was about spitefully forcing Morty to come up with bad and horrific solutions instead of the real ethical solution.

Nah, Rick was never going to synthesize the spaghetti. He just wanted to broadcast the dude's life to gross everyone out and make them stop eating it.

Whether he could is another question, but someone pointed out in an earlier episode Beth asks him to synthesize Gloppydrop ice cream and he says it would be a pale imitation of the real thing. So he's probably not big on synthetic foods.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

I liked it. The Taken/Total Recall mashup was average but it did the job and there were enough moments that made me laugh. Rick and Summer bounce off each other well enough despite both being competent because they're flawed in different ways. And we even got a couple of character development moments (Rick admitting he likes Summer because she reminds him of Diane, Summer confirmed as bi/poly).

Highlights/little laughs for me were probably:

- Summer revealing that Rick and Morty didn't even tell anyone about the battle with Rick Prime
- Rick's protective implants causing Beth to drop red-hot tongs on him, hurting them both
- His argument with his AI about 'dramatic effect'
- Lampshading Summer's sexuality with 'wow, this makes her character so much more interesting now'

jabby fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Nov 27, 2023

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Laughed too much at the godly Rick hurting his ankle trying to break down a door.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

"Take this, it's a prophecy or some poo poo" might be my favourite line of the episode.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Huh. The canon existence of an afterlife raises some interesting questions about Diane.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Diane isn't dead, she's wiped from existence.

Rick's Diane is dead, she got blowed up.

As for the other Dianes the Omega Device functionally just kills people, it doesn't wipe out their memory or actions or anything like that.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

There was some implied backstory that Rick Prime was sincere about wanting to build a big Rick alliance until he got sick of his own bullshit. I think nuking Diane was meant to be petty revenge as well as a way to force all Ricks onto the path of dimension-hopping. Simple Rick can't be allowed to still exist, etc. Rick/All Ricks are self-destructive and kind of short-sighted. There's a reason Evil Morty made that same point that using the weapon just meant an infinite pool of people who wanted to kill you.

I definitely think punishing Rick C-137 was the main reason behind nuking Diane. Prime was pissed another Rick tried to stand up to him and figured Rick would eventually try and settle down with another version of his family, so he obliterated Diane to remove any chance of Rick being happy.

I do wonder what Beth (any version of Beth) thinks happened to her Mom though. From what we saw of Slomobius the affected person just disappears in a green flash, but we don't know what age Beth was when Prime decided to wipe out Diane.

Adder Moray posted:

Vindicators 2 justifies the existence of Vindicators 3.

I actually liked some of the character development in Vindicators 3. We got to see the depths of Rick's cynicism but also that he genuinely does care about Morty more than he admits.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0J30S-3NT0

Why do I feel like this is going to end with Rick either destroying Heaven or using it as his upgraded car battery?

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Manwithastick posted:

How are we all ranking this season?

(From best to worst)

- Rick Prime vs Evil Morty
- Rick Jerry Merge
- Adventure Audit
- Mind hive president
- Suicide Spagetti
- Butthole intervention
- ice t returns
- Kautos (joke got old hella quick)

- Rick Prime vs Evil Morty
- Rick Jerry Merge
- Suicide Spagetti
- Adventure Audit
- Mind hive president
- Kautos
- ice t returns
- Butthole intervention

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Rick's clones having a "survival mode" that just consists of gibbering and running wildly away from everything felt very on-brand for Rick and was hilarious.

Morty really seems to have given up on avoiding seeing his family members naked/being naked himself.

This season does seem to be dialling back how OP Rick is with his implants, which is nice.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

He had a ton of poo poo in the episode with Evil Morty and Rick Prime

Rick definitely gets hosed up easier than he used to though, he was losing that fight badly despite the implants. I'm sure in his previous fights with Phoenixperson, the President, and even in the Robot Wars he deployed the blue 'everything-proof-shield' at least a few times and I don't think I've seen it this season. Hell he hurt his ankle trying to kick open a door.

He'll probably go back to being Godlike as soon as Rule of Funny requires but it's still a nice change.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

That was pretty well done. It's tough to take the 'trapped in a simulation' trope and manage to keep it fresh but I genuinely didn't catch on that Rick wasn't in the hole until the reveal. Even though on a second watch they flat out say right at the start "you can't really be scared of anything if you know you're still in the hole" which means obviously everything with Rick and Diane and Morty embarrassing himself is pointless. It was good misdirection!

The monologue about fear was also one of my favourite parts.

"Everyone is scared of love, dipshit, you learn that in your twenties". And the idea that the smarter you are, the more you fear happiness because the more you understand how finite it is. That was well written.

jabby fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Dec 18, 2023

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Tiny Myers posted:

Rick being initially extremely ready to leap in the hole, especially because Morty mentioned Diane, but having the growth, restraint, and willingness to trust Morty to not jump in himself.

Yeah, it'd be easy to say Rick didn't do much this episode but he didn't really NEED to. He got his big wrap-up episode mid-season and his arc now seems to be about slowly becoming a better person through hard work rather than epiphanies.

That fact that he didn't jump in the hole and instead let Morty have this to himself, he resisted the urge to show he could do anything Morty can do and instead let Morty's picture go up there alone, shows how much character development he's had over the course of the show.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

The more I think about it, the more it makes total sense that Morty's greatest fear is being seen as replaceable by Rick. Rick left his entire original family behind to die, destroyed multiple alternate Earths, and showed him the 'Morty market' on the citadel where he literally gets vat-grown in bulk. And that's not even counting the two crows thing.

Out of all the 'biggest fears' the idea that after all their adventures he'd get killed and Rick would replace him without a second thought is very character-appropriate.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Kurgarra Queen posted:

I think it also subtly communicates that Morty doesn't actually need Rick: he can solve his own problems and face his own fears, by himself, and come out fine. But that also doesn't make him Evil Morty.

Yeah, it would've undercut the message for Morty to 'overcome' the fear by realising he does matter to Rick. Instead he realises Rick's opinion of him isn't that important. Feels like some of the writers may have been to therapy themselves.

Kurgarra Queen posted:

Still, Rick's reaction after Morty finally "got out" of the hole was genuinely touching and shows how much he has changed. It's easy to imagine, like...Season 3 Rick mocking Morty or doubting his experience of the hole or putting him down. Instead, Rick accepts that he doesn't know what Morty's experience was but that it was intense and he's just proud of Morty for overcoming it.
And you know, he carries a picture of Morty with him at all times, which is really sweet and tells us Rick really does care about *this specific Morty*.

That was a really great season, even if it had a rough start and had a few bumps along the way.

It was a nice touch that after an awkward pause Rick is actually about to hug Morty back before he gets pushed away.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Adder Moray posted:

The hole killing people was a lie by the hole to snap Morty into action. Notice he wasn't dying after he got out of that layer.

The VHS was telling the truth. The hole wants you to succeed.

I just figure most people just fail and the janitor pulls them out after the 1 AM rush.

Yeah, the hole seems perfectly satisfied with feeding on Morty's fear and letting him go. And it's just a hole, there'd be a bunch of bodies down there if it actually killed people.

Suit Guy and Morty basically speedrunning all the cliches was really fun though. Is there a hole in the Dennys INSIDE the hole? No-one cares, not even gonna check. Is Rick's secret that he has the MOST fear? No, just a normal amount. Is Rick actually afraid of LOVE? No, love scares everyone.

EDIT: I just realised Rick has a line to Diane relatively early on: "You're the only thing I can't replace." Made total sense in context, but has added meaning when we know Morty's real ultimate fear.

jabby fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Dec 19, 2023

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Tom Tucker posted:

Son of a bitch Mr. Poopy Butthole straight up Fringe'd himself

Stole this spot from a YouTube comment but after PB replaces himself he starts eating with his utensils in the wrong hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Excelzior posted:

just this season we had rick feeding the family corpses for dinner - for weeks

The spaghetti episode was basically a showcase of every character's growth over the series.

Rick cares enough about his family now to WANT to have a nice meal with them, but he still does it in the most hosed-up way possible. Morty is jaded enough that he doesn't immediately veto the idea but also confident enough he manipulates Rick into making the situation a hundred times worse.

And the rest of the family aren't even that phased by corpse-spaghetti but more annoyed that Morty ruined it for them.