Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Postal Parcel posted:

Am I misremembering things, or was there ever a scene where he shouts "Oh God, save me, save me, save me" and then, upon getting out of his predicament, says something like "Haha! gently caress you God! I knew you weren't real!"?

A Rickle in Time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
I think people read too much into Rick hating lore being the direct authorial voice. Of course Rick hates lore heavy episodes. They always end badly for him.

The writers clearly don't want the show to be entirely, or even mostly, lore heavy (and some of them hate being guessed ahead of time), but they have no obligation to do those episodes if they don't want to, or to put as much effort into them as they do. They clearly like doing them sparingly.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
As I see it, Rick wasn't hiding from potentially smarter people, which may indeed exist. He was hiding from dumber Ricks.

Or, rather, he was hiding from happier Ricks.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Ugly In The Morning posted:

No, there was definitely at least one the citadel had access to because they imprisoned him and used his brain chemistry to make cookies.

Simple Rick was specifically off the Central Finite Curve.

Specifically 60 iterations off of it.

Which just tells me they grabbed him before they walled it off, or that they had a back door.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

alf_pogs posted:

yeah I think it's this. this is also the episode where Morty shows Summer his Cronenberg'd homeworld, then at the end of the episode Rick makes Beth choose him over Jerry and has his monologue where he declares himself the ultimate figure in Mortys life and universe, saying he's his God. it's dark

100 years dot com

And the season ends with Beth and Jerry back together, marriage stronger than it's ever been, and Rick having none of the power and sway he held over his family that he'd been building over the preceding seasons. That season, beginning to end, is a series of repeated kicks in the dick to Rick.

It's an arc. Which Rick also hates.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
Rick just hates that every lore heavy episode kicks his rear end because his own lore is being an incredibly lovely person.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Bleck posted:

Hate to go to bat for known garbage dude Rick, but the lore dump we got in the finale seems to suggest, at the very least, that Rick C-137 was maybe one of the few, or maybe the only, Rick that wasn't planning on abandoning his family or whatever eventually, and this lead to them dying. Imagine if an uncatchable dimension-hopping version of yourself killed your family and then in your travels to try and find them, you learn that you're predestined to become an irascible and monstrous demigod who doesn't care about anybody, thereby implicitly making every version of yourself's only choice between killing your family and abandoning it.

I'd cycle into nihilism pretty quick too, y'know? Also, it seems like Rick C-137 helped design the Central Finite Curve after giving up his search - the perspective we're given by Evil Morty is that it's to keep everyone that can challenge Any Rick out, but I wouldn't be surprised, again, given the history of his family and the loathing for himself, if it was also intended to keep all the Ricks in.

Rick doesn't get to One Bad Day his way out of this. He had something horrible happen to him in his 20s and spent the next 40+ years being the biggest rear end in a top hat of an infinite number of assholes.

He wasn't predestined to be anything. Time travel isn't a thing in this show. The Rick that killed his family was the same age as him and chose to be a piece of poo poo while he hadn't (yet). There's a whole larger subset of infinite Ricks who chose not to be complete douchebags and an infinite number of them had the exact same thing happen to them.

FireWorksWell posted:

I'm unsure how much of that they intended because the Central Finite Curve apparently means he's the most powerful/smartest being in that cluster of realities but that goes against what you mention.

It's a system invented by an rear end in a top hat who thinks nothing matters in order to protect his fragile ego from threats to the one thing he values about himself. What's been getting the better of him of late hasn't been physical threats. It's things his smarts can't get him out of.

Adder Moray fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Sep 12, 2021

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
Re: Box of Time Travel stuff

It's entirely possible that it's a box of stuff for time travel experiments that didn't actually work.

Re: Timeline

The timeline established in the series doesn't add up anyways. Rick is 70/71. Beth was a child of ~3 when he was in his 20s if the Simple Rick flashback is anything to go on (since they use the same design). She had Summer when she was 16 or 17. Summer is 16 now. That's ~29-30 years. Rick should be in his 60s at most.

I think the writers pay a lot more attention than they get credit for, but I don't think they are humanly capable of paying as much attention to details like this as the entire collective of bored people on the internet. So with stuff like this I don't really look at the dates.

That does, however, give the Ricks a 13-ish year cushion between C-137's family being killed and Beth getting pregnant with Summer to math out the genetics involved in their perfect camouflage and start engineering Jerry/Beth meet cutes.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Manwithastick posted:

Does the portal index reset effect evil morty? Has he been dragged back to his own dimension? :sludgepal:

Putting aside questions of whether he left the Central Finite Curve or just destroyed the barrier between it and the rest of infinity (and thus the question of whether or not he even could be pulled back), he still has functioning portal fluid, so even if he is, he can just leave. The remaining Ricks have a tainted supply if they have any at all.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

So did Jerry have a threesome with Beths or did he just jerk off/get off to the idea of the two of them hooking up without him?

Judging by the sounds of things: Started as one, turned into the other, and may have reversed which of the married pair was sitting things out by the end.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
I thought Vindicators 3 was fine, not actually good.

And then they made Vindicators 2, which vastly improves Vindicators 3 retroactively

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Mylan posted:

Also gotta wonder about Evil Rick's motives, too. For a guy who cares so little about his family he is not only willing to permanently abandon them, but murder alternate versions of them because a version of himself rejected a technology that already existed seems suspicious. Like, I can understand if the murder was just to motivate our Rick into finishing the portal gun and going on to do all his Rick things. But Evil Rick already had the portal technology. He doesnt seem to need our Rick for any paticular reason. Maybe theres some time travel predestination thing going on and thats part of why Rick hates the idea of time travel.

"So what? You think you're better than me? He thinks he's better than me. I'll show him who's better than who!"

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
Sports aren't stories. They're reality that is narrativized by fans. No one is authoring them. No one can decide in the future that Sammy Sosa looks like too much of a villain now, so let's give him a here-to-fore unknown tragic background and a secret goal that neccrssitates him bleaching his skin. Sports are just poo poo that happens and we decide to weave narrative out of, including ignoring certain things or fudging certain facts. But that's not actually changing what happened.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

So stories are only stories if they're fake? Nothing that happens in real life counts as a story because it wasn't planned?
Things that happen in real life aren't stories. They're things we tell stories about. Life does not have a narrative. It is crazy to me that some of y'all do not understand this. Unless you're religious and your faith believes in a creator who has authored events to go the way they are going. In that case, yes, life is a story. But in general, no, real life if not a story.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
"An account of..."

Adder Moray posted:

Things that happen in real life aren't stories. They're things we tell stories about.
If you're going to try to look like the smartest person in the room you should probably work on your basic literacy first.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
I've seen people saying that Evil Morty is smarter than Rick and I'd like to make the distinction that he's not smarter than him. He's cleverer than him.

Which isn't to say he's not a genius in his own right. But every time he gets the upper hand on Rick (or Ricks) it's not through raw intelligence. Any time someone needed to do some complex mathematics or engineering in this episode, he let Rick handle it, only tweaking things to improve them after Rick did the bulk of the work for the base design. You don't see him winning, or even participating in, the kinds of One Upsmanship science battles Rick has with other Ricks or the President. He just thinks two steps ahead of Rick at all times. He's more emotionally intelligent, a better manipulator, and has a clearer sense of intention and purpose. Rick shoots from the hip and knows the fact he's a science god will compensate for his mistakes. Evil Morty knows he's very much not that, so thinks through the things he does. And he's just capable enough scientifically that it completely flatfoots Rick every time.

Just look how this episode ended. He saved Rick, which he didn't have to but it makes this Morty and this Rick feel indebted to him. But he only did so after getting what he needed from Rick Prime. He then distracted Rick with Rick Prime in order to destroy the weapon and steal its schematics. And he has the good sense to make the threat of him having the weapon known while also making it clear he is never going to use it if they don't push him.

Rick Prime, by contrast, threw a temper tantrum because he felt like some Ricks were high-roading him.

(Also, while he has absolutely no respect for other Mortys and would probably be more intimidated by infinite Summers, vengeful Mortys are the bigger threat. He can't use the weapon against them because it would get him too. No need to point that out, though)

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Lammasu posted:

I liked the sperm and dragon ones. The only episode I actively dislike is Vindicators 3. It was too cynical even by Rick standards.

Vindicators 2 justifies the existence of Vindicators 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Open Source Idiom posted:

Do you reckon that most people are too freaked out to bother getting their photo taken, or that the hole kills most people so there are only four survivors, or just that very few people ever get in the hole or what?

The hole killing people was a lie by the hole to snap Morty into action. Notice he wasn't dying after he got out of that layer.

The VHS was telling the truth. The hole wants you to succeed.

I just figure most people just fail and the janitor pulls them out after the 1 AM rush.