Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Rexides posted:

No, it's canon, now let me tell you my theory about how a Meseeks Mr. Poopybutthole ties into the Citadel of Ricks, our Morty's original dimension, and the character of Chang from Community.

I have it on good authority that Jeff Winger is a Rick and Abed is his Morty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Soooo

Rick hosed a pla--

Ah, yeah, there y'go!

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Jesus, Summer.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Oh, gently caress you, [as].

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Wow, Rick, full narc. Bad form.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I'm still mad about that Metalocalypse swipe.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

PostNouveau posted:

I wasn't paying attention during the commercials. What did it say?

They did a bumper talking about the Snyder Cut coming to HBO Max, with the text "It proves that if you bug a company long enough, you WILL get what you want..."

Then it cut to a picture of Nathan, with the text "...mostly."

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
There was a Treehouse of Horror where Bart got a stopwatch that stopped time and everybody wanted to kill him because he did nothing but screw with people. That was neat.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Oh my god, it's Diesel Weasel.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Oh, this is a twist.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Morty, uh. Makin' some good points there.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
That was very earnest and heartfelt in a very specific way that Rick and Morty usually isn't to the point where it was genuinely disarming.

I'm so surprised they didn't undercut it with a joke.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Morty's killings this season have been mmmmmmostly justifiable or at least something he can rationalize. Hoovy's descendants just kept trying to kill him on sight and the Planeteers were him acting in defense of himself and another person.

The time he murdered a bunch of soldiers is definitely more...questionable, but, hey, he was hopped up on death crystals at the time.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
My read was that Planetina freaking out was suspiciously similar to Morty in Look Who's Purging Now.

Maybe Morty saw a little too much of himself and it freaked him out. :shrug:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
It's not normal at all, you're not supposed to cheer when someone sinks a putt, you're supposed to clap politely. Those people are monsters.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

TheKingofSprings posted:

Counterpoint, Planetina was a dumb-dumb that would’ve murdered poachers of the white rhino instead of the Asian businessman huffing them and she should get sealed up in the rings for her crimes

She did firebomb a congressman's house.

Her problem was that she lacked focus. Which, y'know, was probably brought on by that whole "hears the planet screaming" thing.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I dunno, I definitely read "can't you hear the Earth screaming" as literal.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Last Chance posted:

You mean Turner Broadcasting, who also owns Rick and Morty? Someone mentioned this earlier itt.

They're also the distributor for All Elite Wrestling!

So, y'know.

Kenny Omega should show up in this season.

Anyway, monster sperm.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

tarlibone posted:

I'm not going to be surprised if this is all being done to teach Morty a lesson.

It certainly smells like that.

Nice to see president Keith David again.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
That was loving nonsense.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Yeah when they said "this is out there, even for us.", I thought that was the point, but they didn't like, pay it off or anything. They just kept being really weird and out there and not particularly funny.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Yeah, like the rest of the episode, I expected it to lead somewhere and it just didn't, so it came off as a really flat, hacky bit.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Besides the sperm episode, that was a really good season! As one of the people that actually gives a poo poo about Evil Morty, I have been satisfied and will shut the gently caress up about it for at least another two seasons. :toot:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Does Rick only start killing other Ricks after Birdperson rejects him?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Bust Rodd posted:

No, he goes off on his warpath like immediately, he doesn’t even meet BP until his 3rd hairstyle after he starts his spree.

Darn, my "Rick felt fulfilled with Birdperson and didn't need revenge anymore until he was rejected by him" theory is dashed.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The Mortrix Ricksurrections.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I like the idea of doing another insanely meta Story Lord episode but I think it was too soon after the last Story Lord episode AND the heist episode.

"Do more season 1 adventures." "I am so sick of that loving note!" is loving hilarious though. Especially since the one expressing that sentiment is usually Rick.

I'm always pretty up for stuff where Harmon sniffs his own farts, so I found the episode pretty fun.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I've heard it a few times but I don't really buy the idea that Harmon or the writers resent the fans that are interested in Rick and Morty's canon because if they did I don't think they would've done Rickmurai Jack and I don't think they would've treated it with the surprising level of care and gravity they did.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
*extremely yakov Smirnoff voice*

In stories, you tell narrative.

In sports, narrative tells you!

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Rick wanting to go to pissmaster's place to just have a beer was surprisingly heartfelt. I kinda wanna see the version of the episode where they become friends. The stuff with Wong was great, I love how the show uses her and how Rick's relationship with her has changed.

I like how the orb people were just portrayed as clout chasers, kind of the same trope as the Vindicators, but a different twist on it.

My favorite part of the episode is how, right after the Story Lord episode it acknowledges how Rick is constantly harassed by these one note high concept losers, but Mr. Nimbus is still treated as credible and worthy of respect by the show, both by him beating Rick at the start and by him blowing off the orb council at the end because he's so clearly better than them.

Seriously, Mr. Nimbus is 2-0 on Rick! Who else can say that?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Another thing that sets Mr. Nimbus apart from the other weirdos that go after Rick is he's not going after Rick just for the sake of going after Rick; he goes after Rick because of a specific thing Rick did.

He's the one guy we see this episode that I don't think Dr. Wong's "Just ignore them" suggestion would have had an effect on. If anything ignoring Mr. Nimbus would have made the situation with him worse because he's not doing what he did for attention, he's doing it because Rick hosed with the ocean again and built a fortress out of ocean stuff. Mr. Nimbus is going to keep attacking until Rick undoes the lovely thing he did. You can't solve a problem like that by ignoring it, you have to deal with it directly which is what Rick does and right afterward Mr. Nimbus leaves. Mr. Nimbus operates on different rules and thus has to be handled differently.

I also love the implication that Mr. Nimbus respected and was probably friends with Rick's wife. We only get one line implying this, but it's the only line we need to establish that whatever Mr. Nimbus's backstory is with Rick it's way more personal than what he has with the other people who try to kill him.

There's a lot of fascinating implications from that line, which in itself was a joke about establishing canon and the implications a line like that would have. :v:

Nimbus says he respected and feared Rick, then mentions Diane, which means he knew Rick before Rick Prime showed up and pretty heavily implies it was something about how Rick used to be "a different kind of Rick" that made Nimbus respect him. And I'm pretty sure it also means Nimbus is his longest living relationship, even more so than Birdperson.

I doubt the show will ever be particularly overt about this, because part of the fun of Mr. Nimbus is that he's a fairly obvious parody of the character from the main character's past that was never mentioned and shows up out of nowhere, but it's neat that he functions as both a parody and a good example of just playing that trope straight. And it's fun that the one character that unambiguously has Rick's number and doesn't lose to him is the one living person (besides Rick Prime and now, Morty) who not only knows but respects who he used to be.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Nov 28, 2022

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
God I wish so so so badly they hadn't done the first Vat of Acid callback because just doing it at the end would've been the funniest loving thing if it had just come out of left field.

As is it was still very funny. Count me in with the people intrigued that Rick's growth seems to be an episode-to-episode thing now.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I like how Rick specifically backslid because of Morty blowing him off. He was legitimately making progress and getting healthier and then he felt wounded by Morty and it hurt him in a legitimate way because he let Morty in during Rickmurai Jack and he saw Morty blowing him off as the other shoe dropping, proving him right that he never should've let him in in the first place.

And this is still growth for Rick! In vat of acid, Rick responded to Morty hurting him by loving torturing him. This time he responded to it by trying to give Morty the best version of himself, a version he probably wishes he could be. And at the end, he let Morty in on his quest to get revenge on Rick Prime. It's not linear, but this is still the season of Rick making progress.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
This Roiland guy is just too much trouble. Thank goodness we have a well behaved, stable creator like Dan Harmon to steady the ship.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Can't you ditch Roiland and just go ahead with Harmon?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
How many episodes can you get out of the voice clips gimmick South Park did for chef.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
If you sort by new, you can find a post from them mods about it that is very funny and very reddit.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

jokes posted:

"witch hunting and cancel culture folks" is bold

When I saw it, they had crossed out "cancel culture" and put (bad phrasing) next to it in parenthesis, so I assume they took an rear end whipping for that in the comments. :lol:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I don't think there's any chance of Roiland going to jail or Adult Swim canceling Rick and Morty, but I still hope if he did what he's accused of, he gets fired and replaced. It's not like he's doing some insanely unique voice, just hire a professional to do it.

I mean sadly, yeah "this person thinking that transgender people don't exist isn't a dealbreaker for me to give them money" is true of a lot of Harry Potter fans. There's a lot of people who wanna play that lovely looking Hogwarts game without getting so much as a cock-eyed look over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Ah yup here come those Rurouni Kenshin feelings again. gently caress.