Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Timmy was a parasite.

FireWorksWell fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Sep 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

I love that the Creepy Morty had a little callback to the first Citadel episode, with all those mortys gathered around a cowboy morty.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

I love this show.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

It's a shame that t-shirt didn't say "World's Best President"

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

MariusLecter posted:

The Devil got clowned by Rick, like a bit when Bugs Bunny messes with the Opera singer. The President made Rick sweat and bleed.

The president had experience with Rick and exposure to the kind of poo poo the Rickbusters deal with, Mr. Needful was just kind of a dick who folded pretty quickly.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

kloa posted:

Existence is pain :(

Mr. Meeseeks is my spirit animal.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Get in the loving car, Morty!!!

CBJSprague24 posted:

Seth Rogen's "I'm a big goofy stoner masquerading as an unfunny comedian huhuhuhuh" gimmick was tired five years ago.

I've never been a fan of Seth Rogen's character in anything (yes it's the same character in every single movie) but the biggest sin is having him play young George Bluth.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Sydney Bottocks posted:

GET IN THE FUCKIN CAAHHH!!!

Easily my favorite thing to come out of rick and morty.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

MeinPanzer posted:

I started watching this show recently and I've pretty much binged through all three seasons. Is there any particular reason why towards the end of season 2 the show all of a sudden becomes super gory? While episodes before always had some grossout elements, a lot of the setups for episodes in season 1 and most of season 2 were pretty clever and didn't lean on them too heavily. After that point it seems like the a lot of episodes just became a pretence for showing some kind of gratuitously violent encounter.

You're gonna love season 3.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

I was rewatching S4E1 (Death Crystals) and I was wondering if there's a clear list of what each potential future was. It's hard to make out a few but you can see things like Rick and Morty running across a keyboard with Morty falling to his death, or them dumping some kind of toxic waste off a sidewalk before a car sprays it back on them. Plus the bully pulling a dumpster over Morty and jumping up and down on it.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Still can't get over "so we asked ourselves what walk the most".

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

FireWorksWell posted:

Still can't get over "so we asked ourselves what walks the most".

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Personally the most memorable quote is what immediately follows:

"He was a monster!"

"He was a politician. Don't mythologize it."

Yeah I loved everything involving FDRachnid. "The only thing to fear is me!"

This is probably in my top episodes just because I watch this show to laugh and this delivers.

That stinger is haunting though.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

alf_pogs posted:

rick desperately relates to birds in his life huh

Everything about Two Crows was probably my favorite part of this show after the FDR spider.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

That orange portal looked really cool.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Jerry walking in on Nick and Morty smashing everything up, only to eagerly join in and immediately melt into a puddle was the hardest this show has made me laugh.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

jokes posted:

So did Rick never kill the Rick that blew up his family? Sucks to suck

It's his schezuan sauce

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

The sperm episode was real bad, but I can't believe people are rating it below the heist episode, which spent its entire run just making GBS threads on a whole genre and crawling up the rear end of fuckin Elon Musk.

Crawling up his rear end? Did you miss that scathing take down where they called Elon Musk out for being hard to work with?

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

i say swears online posted:

reminder a slice of infinity is still infinity

Yeah it only really makes sense if you decide they put a limit on how many universes they kept inside of the curve.

Who knows, maybe there's an entire cluster of Rick's that are just as smart as our Rick out there and they were just kept away from the Citadel so C137 can remain on top.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

readingatwork posted:

I at least laughed at the cold open for the sperm episode so while bad it’s not the worst one imo. Voltron parody might hold that title though since it took an already cringey premise with the giant incest baby and aggressively ran it into the ground.

Yeah, at least with the sperm episode I can say I laughed a few times ("Rick, help!" "There, now we're not making eye contact.") . Voltron was 'eh', and like you said they focused on the worst part of the sperm episode for that. If they'd just stuck with the Goodfellas analogy and toned back the stereotypical original pilots it would have been a solid episode.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Guy A. Person posted:

The POV character who hates continuity is Rick, who has been repeatedly shown to hate it because he is trying to escape from his past, while the writers spend several episodes per season exploring these stories.

The character who likes fun, simple, uncomplicated adventures is Nazi Morty.

"Don't think about it" always seemed like more of a point on Rick's character than a theme of the show to me.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Since our Rick had a big hand in building it, I wonder if he chose variables to make sure he'd be the smartest Rick around while excluding realities where Rick is just as intelligent as C137 or smarter.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

FronzelNeekburm posted:

This rings true for every mystery/suspense show I'm aware of. Just keep writing until you get canceled, then poo poo out some vague, "They were all angels the whole time!" finale.

Or "they've been killing us to save us all along"

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Macaluso posted:

I love the Vindicators episode :shobon:

It's got so many great lines and I like what it says about Rick.

"What the hell is Israel?"

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Well, have fun with that. But Morty and I have to meet a comet girl, a monorail man, two assholes and a full alligator in like, an hour.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Bust Rodd posted:

I like Vindicators because it sort of serves as the last straw for Morty. The entire thing up to that point may have built up the finale in Morty’s mind as final tacit acceptance from his Grampa and then the reveal crushes his dreams completely and I think he never really comes back from that.

Yeah, for sure. I don't see the episode as "lol Marvel sucks" the episode, it's more of a piece on how hosed up Rick is. He put Morty's heroes through a Saw gauntlet because he was jealous; he wasn't trying to prove anything to the Vindicators themselves because none of his tests really applied to them. The first one threw out generic labels for each of the Vindicators to say they're all the same, but all five labels didn't apply to everyone. Second test was based on his own drunken political bent rather than an actual condemnation of the heroes' past actions. It was pure coincidence that they happened to kill a planet and Crocubot's cold reptilian logic brought that secret out.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

ikanreed posted:

So why? Why does this fourth wall breaking psychopath hate canon and continuity? The only character-consistent reason I can come up with is that Rick hates the idea that his choices have consequences, that they mean something outside of immediate utility.

Look no further than the end of Rick Potion 9 for this. Doubt he's ever given that reality further thought.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Tirranek posted:

I also think the whole Noob Noob thing is great.

I love the icing on that cake, that the only reason Rick sees value in Noob Noob out of all of them is because NN was giving Rick props.

God drat!

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Bucswabe posted:

Sorry, I'm late in responding to this. But while I think it's reasonable to think this about season 3 in isolation, as a series as a whole I think season 3 is a really interesting point in Rick's arc. It's kind of his epic bender before hitting rock bottom in season 4 - 5 when he's constantly getting defeated by every enemy he encounters, and pretty much the entire family is done with his poo poo.

Another example of storytelling where I hope it was planned out rather than made up on the spot.

I'm unsure how much of that they intended because the Central Finite Curve apparently means he's the most powerful/smartest being in that cluster of realities but that goes against what you mention.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Speaking of Rick and his disdain for anything time travel related, I really liked the entire exchange where Morty pulls a "Bugs Bunnys" on Rick to get him to make the savestate remoite.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I kind of hope we get a flashback episode with Diane where we get to learn what her personality was like and explores her relationship with Rick, it's kind of lame just having her be "Rick's dead wife" and his excuse for diving head first into self destructive behavior. Having at least one episode where she gets to be a person and not just a painful reminder would really help her death feel like an actual loss.

I'm with you here, I've wanted to see how Rick and his wife interacted for a long time. Although the writers could just as easily not delve into what she was like because all Rick really needs is the 'freedom' that excuse gives him for hedonism and violence.

ghostwritingduck posted:

I don’t recall Rick being anti time travel before the Vat of Acid episode. In that one his anti time travel stance was really an excuse to mess with Morty.

He was very critical of time travel in the Snake episode, which was two or three before the Vat episode.

Also the box of Time Travel Stuff that's been shelved since the Pilot, and he was quick to clarify that hopping into another dimension where DST wasn't a concept in order to get pizza didn't count as time travel in his book.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

That's true, it's not something that needs to be done. In a hosed up way Diane's death means more to Rick at this point than her life ever did. The Rick that existed when he was married to her was destroyed on the day she was murdered and a new crueler and colder Rick emerged from the ashes like an intoxicated PhoenixPerson.

Still, it's an interesting enough concept that a flashback episode where we get to see what a Rick and Diane adventure was like is something that I hope happens at some point, especially if Mr. Nimbus is involved.

The real question is where Mr. Nimbus came into play if Rick only became Rick after Diane's death.

Guy A. Person posted:

We may eventually get a "lore" episode expanding on his hatred of time travel, but we know that it exists and has been used explicitly on screen even, so it's not really a retcon to see that time travel may have been used by the Citadel for their own purposes.

If they go for a lore episode, I'd be willing to bet it has to do with him being unable to save Diane and writing the concept off out of spite.

FireWorksWell fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Sep 12, 2021

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

MJeff posted:

Does Rick only start killing other Ricks after Birdperson rejects him?

We see Rick and BP in a shootout with other Ricks in the scene after they meet at Bird Burning Man, I thought?

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Morty, I did some science to me portal gun, and now it's also a real gun!

All you do is whiiinge and complaiin!

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Macaluso posted:

I always find it odd when I see people say they hated the Vindicators episode (and that whole season) because it's straight up one of my favorite episodes. Like top 5 maybe top 3. I love that episode.

I love the Isreal bit, I love the neutrino bomb bit, I love the shot of everyone turning to look at Rick when the big TV monitor comes down, I love NoobNoob.

That's a three pointer!

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

alf_pogs posted:

Crocubot's death sequence and Million Ants and Noob Noob all make Vindicators a good episode

I am back up to...One Million Ants!

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Season 5 had the turkey episode and Rick with his crows so I think it's the best by default

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

I like V3 because it highlighted another lovely aspect of Rick. I guess some people were more bothered by Dan going after superheroes.

Also, unlike the heist episode this one made an effort to be funny.

"Well, have fun with that. But Morty and I have to meet a comet girl, a monorail man, two assholes and a full alligator in, like, an hour."

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Do you mean Lawnmower Dog because I agree

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Imagine if they went through with Saturday Morning Fun Pit being the finale.

I wanted to stop about five minutes in, but I ended up hatewatching it. Maybe it's not as bad as I remember but at the time it was horrendous.