Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
I was ready to say that I just don't like Rick & Morty because my tastes have changed and/or I got tired of its brand of humour. After watching Anatomy Park I rewatched a few more early episodes. They're fantastic. Basically everything in the first two seasons but the pilot. Maybe they should have just ended things at the end of the second season. It had a built in finish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

This is a shot in the pitch black dark here, but does anyone know what song is playing during the party in Ricksy Business, last episode of the first season?

Closest I can come up with is that they played around with the Drake/Kanye/Lil Wayne/Eminem song Forever.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Haha. lol. Naah the one I'm thinking of is the song that starts right as it cuts to the party and then continues a while as guests come. But it was fun to open up that link.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Takes No Damage posted:

This would result in not getting to Vat of Acid, unacceptable IMO :colbert:

On the topic of standout episodes in later seasons, I'm wondering how divisive the spaghetti one from this season has been. I can see nerds arguing about whether it was an attack on 'ethical' meat with reference to Dan Harmon's politics & lifestyle. And yup, that's happening. The real issue is to what extent it's manipulative and using these issues for comedy with a bad irreverence-to-humour payoff.

I've also come across someone saying something like 'Life doesn't have to be a fairy tale to be beautiful. Fred lived his life in the gray zones and most of us do too.' And that's a beautiful take on its own. The Oasis cover was of course cloying and sentimental.* The chord progressions, the vocals, and how they used the verses and chorus at least. But that refrain? 'You and I are gonna live for-ever'? The juxtaposition of that refrain with what's happening on screen is superb. Brings that part of the episode to an A- or even an A.** It was more real than Rick in his garage after losing by girlfriend. And obviously more so than the burial in the back yard.

*You can trust me on this. I took Oasisology for two years at community college. So I get these subtle uses of their music in the show, which might fly above most people's heads.

**What the duck was up with the strawberry jam though? I'm not caught up. Did they really put in some mediocre callback in their most serious scene in years?

Oh wow. I've gazed too long and have turned into a Rick and Morty earnest-poster.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Dec 9, 2023

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I've watched it now. Unmortricken definitely the best one so far and presumably overall this season. I'm glad Rick Prime is gone. Evil Morty is leaps and bounds a better rival. Especially if they're not trying to off each other and just have slightly different agendas they won't fully compromise on. But that's besides the point because our Rick only has one real nemesis.

Mr Nimbus might not as smart or as powerful as Rick. But something prevents Rick from going all out on him. Whether that's plot armour or Rick not wanting to be hassled by seals and cops in every dimension he ever travels to, he can't kill him and he can't just brush him off.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

It worked for that Mortyverse episode.

Well, the one line 'call me Die Hard' landed for me anyways even as I had gotten sick of the schtick.

edit: It was never gonna work here.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Dec 10, 2023

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Last Chance posted:

Ugh why even share that.

You're quite right. I was a little in shock and didn't consider that. Better to edit it out and take a break.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Dec 11, 2023

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

What is the reference to what Rick and Jerry saw when mind-scanning the talking cat from season 4?

Wikipedia says this is a reference to Lovecraft's Cats of Ulthar Lovecraft short story. And the entry for that short story describes what happens in the R and M episode, noting that the music played and Jerry's line about photographs of his parents hint at what part of the book is being viewed. But it doesn't say which part or what happens in it.

Kind of want to know what could unsettle Rick so badly.

e: 'What the fucks a Noob Noob' is my favourite throwaway line in the show.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I mean that story has intelligent cats kill then pick clean the bodies of two people. But I don't know if those folks are parents?

And plus not sure at all why Rick would find that startling.

Yet that's the only part of the barebones outline of the story that comes close to being a contender. I'm guessing it's a situation like It where the most disturbing part isn't the gory part you'd put in a synopsis. So it might remain a mystery unless we have a Lovecraft fan because I don't read Lovecraft and am not going to do it myself.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Dec 15, 2023

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Takes No Damage posted:

So if you're willing to call 'so bad it can't be described' a Lovecraft reference then it could work.

This is partly why I don't read Lovecraft. I'm guessing that at some point it became a tongue in cheek trope. But it's still annoying to me.

Things should not be too crazy, intelligent, powerful, ancient, evil etc. etc. to comprehend. It doesn't invite me to use my imagination; instead it's lazy.

On the other hand, things can definitely be described as too handsome or too gross to comprehend. That's intriguing. Too rich to comprehend is also a headscratcher in a fine way.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Dec 15, 2023

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

It wasn't well-liked for several reasons I don't think (even though I found it fine) but the dragon episode shows the only dimension where Rick is basically powerless on his own.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

SpeakSlow posted:

Sir, the Vulcans are in another thread.

You know what's lamer than people nerding up a Rick & Morty thread?

People who think they're better than them.

e: That's a Summer line for you. Or a Morty. Idk I'm not a nerd.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Dec 15, 2023

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Blood not realistic. Would never be that surprised about anything. Lab coat wrong.

And yeah getting mauled by a bigfoot is probably in the cards at some point. But so is me trying my eggs a new way at breakfast. This supposed to impress me?

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Fine episode. My comments:

1. This was interesting because it doesn't end the season with some immediate unresolved threat or what next? dilemna. I guess the characters' relationship is moved forward. Although...

2. I don't want Rick to change too much. Don't make the lesson that even a sociopathic, psychopathic, pained beyond comprehension genius can be healed by love for his grandson. He loves Morty. But he's also the Rickest Rick. Risk his own life to save Morty's? Sure, most of the time. Risk both their lives for fun? Definitely, always. Slightly inconvenience himself to spare Morty serious physical and emotional pain? Never.

3. The facial expressions were so well animated! Morty had a few good ones. But the first place goes to Summer not skipping a single beat when Rick and Morty come in talking about how they sh*t their pants. SE01 Summer would have shouted gross, yelled at them, or at least rolled her eyes. SE07 Summer has seen some poo poo.

4. Someone above mentioned that the hole should or predicted it might return for the penultinate episode of a season/the series. That reminded me that GoT usually had their big, most important episode be the second-to-last with the finale left to explore the consequences at a slower pace. This was kind of sort of that except the big bad came a few episodes prior.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Dec 19, 2023

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

You know what? I can admit I was wrong and I want to do so.

Sociopathy is in a sense binary but also a matter of degree. And I think Rick might score high enough on a psychometric test to raise eyebrows. But I shouldn't have thrown that word around like that, and I'm not about to diagnose a a character in a cartoon I haven't seen most episodes in a long time. It's not even a real diagnosis anymore and only overlaps incompletely with what is meant to replace it.

I guess I just don't want things to change too much because I like the dynamic and Rick's character. In a real world situation I'd of course want to see him get better. Even in a life-action show maybe. But this is animated wackiness.

One change in dynamics I am all for is what kind of happened with Morty and Summer (unless I'm missing something here too). Siblings that annoy each other? Lame. Very lame. Siblings that like each other? Cool. That's why I like the kids on Bob's Burgers. Siblings that actively compete with each other for attention? Also cool. Siblings that argue about insane sh*t in insane situations and not just petty teenage bs? The coolest. Cycle between all three? You got my vote.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

It's pretty weird but not at all unexpected that it's easier for Rick to create beings that retain enough of their humanoid physiology and psychology to both still turn into spaghetti upon suicide and kill themselves while at the same time being different enough to not have their suffering be abominable to the other humanoids they're derived from, rather than make something equally delicious.

Also, is it every explained just how Rick came upon the knowledge that this is particularly tasty pasta? I'm going to give the benefit of the doubt and say his super brain did the quick math on the chemistry involved. The alternative is sheer curiosity forced him to try it or it was just more convenient than going back to the car for a protein bar.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Evil Morty had a definition of being evil that wasn't the typical one we use. Anyone recall?

And on that note, which character does that term, used in the typical way, apply to best?

Causing callous harm? Probably the Jellybean King from the early seasons.
Causing suffering for the pleasure of it? The wolf that mugs Jerry outside the motel.
And Rick's car did gun down a paediatrician in cold blood (circuits?).

Actually, it's surprising me writing this out how in a show with mass murder, genocide, destruction of planets, extinction of species, theft of things others need to survive while you just find useful, torture, and cannibalism, those are the clearest examples.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I don't know if it ranks up there with Starbucks asking inviting people to discuss race issues with its staff during the working day. And with said staff either being mostly white or POC who didn't sign up for this and certainly don't get paid enough to go through with it. Without any real training taking place.

I'm somewhat surprised R & M didn't make fun of this but then it kind of makes fun of itself by being so ill conceived.