Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

I think it's really nice that Dr. Wong is showing up more and I hope she's never the subject of some extremely dumb twist. So many stories about flawed, traumatized people who hurt the ones they love always have their efforts sabotaged any time they start to make even a little positive headway in their problems because it's harder for the creators to commit to a choice like that, especially on a show where the main conflict comes from that character's flaws. I think it ends up creating a message that people always go back to their old ways and that anyone who's traumatized and hosed up is doomed to repeat their mistakes and hurt people forever, some people are just broken, etc.

I feel like "Therapy is just a thing you can do, it's not scary, it provides practical solutions to your problems, even the smartest man in the universe benefits from it, and you're never too old to try it" is just such a nice message in such a widely-watched show and goes a long way to normalize seeking treatment for mental health. I like that we're seeing Rick slowly grow as a person in what feels like a natural, genuine way, instead of merely stagnating and regressing for the sake of the status quo.

e: I guess the rick and morty sincerepost might seem kind of suspect from someone who's never posted here before, I was just rewatching some older episodes and wanted to share my thoughts somewhere. Morty's Mindblowers just really leaned in to what an awful person Rick can be and I feel like he's shown a lot of growth in the new season.

Tiny Myers fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Dec 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

That was a really beautiful episode.

Morty's little list of what he likes best about Jessica, and then it being mocked because it said "top five" when it was actually four, lmao

Morty's fear-hole is obviously dubiously canon, but it was a very clever way to show off Diane's personality and what would've led to her and Rick falling in love - her being smart as a whip, sweet, and able to drink him under the table - while being able to say "that wasn't actually canon" later if they need to. As well as really leaning into how sad and hosed up Rick was after her death. Reading her entire master's thesis, being a lightweight until after her death where he started drinking heavily, etc. Feels a lot like the "that was a lie and not my real backstory... or was it?" fake-out in Season 3's opening.

Summer's wedding, with the streak of blue in Space Beth's hair getting bigger and resembling Rick's hair color much more :allears:

Rick being initially extremely ready to leap in the hole, especially because Morty mentioned Diane, but having the growth, restraint, and willingness to trust Morty to not jump in himself. Not immediately answering "no" when Morty asks if he's irreplaceable, which I think he could've and easily would've in an earlier season.

And to cap all of that off, having a picture of Morty - not even, like, a good one, a really awkward looking but earnest one - in his wallet, and putting it there, like "Morty was here and did something intensely difficult". That killed me a little. Like, at the end of the day, despite everything about him, his cynicism and acerbic nature, he's still a proud grandpa who keeps pictures of his grandkids in his fuckin' wallet now. Like yeah you could bullshit something like oh, he needs a picture of Morty to be like "have you seen this little turd" when Morty gets lost on an alien planet, but especially after the poignance of what came behind it, the sentimentality doesn't feel indeliberate.

Tiny Myers fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Dec 18, 2023

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Skippy McPants posted:

My guess is that most people just aren't stupid enough to jump in a big creepy hole. I sure as hell wouldn't; would you?

Fear and Hunger 2 taught me what a bad idea this is :(

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

We have an episode from several seasons ago where he puts his collar on Morty in the split timeline episode because he only has one working one, and immediately starts making peace with death and saying "be good, Morty. Be better than me". That's not risking his life, that's textually making the choice to sacrifice himself for his grandson. That's not sociopathy.

It's also not making the case that he can be healed by "love for his grandson". It's making the case that people can change and improve by learning to open themselves up, outgrowing toxic mindsets and working through old traumas through various means, such as getting therapy. And Rick is literally getting therapy.

It's a really good message and nothing so trite as the POWER OF LOVE or whatever.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Mulva posted:

There's a difference hosed up and hosed up and self-destructive. He still has like 40 years of spiraling into his own extremes in response to Diane's death. That's never going to get walked back into him just being that dude tinkering in his garage and hanging out with his family. Conversely, the entire point of his character is that after doing a bunch of insane bullshit he just....went to Rick Prime's garage and hung out with his family. That is fundamentally something he always wanted to do. A healthier Rick is basically the Pet Cemetery bit. He starts making GBS threads on it but gets past it to start experimenting. Old Rick would just poo poo on it and move on. For the viewer? It's Rick and Morty loving around in Pet Cemetery. That's fun. It's healthier and it's fun.

Yeah, like, think about the episode where Rick returns to his original universe and everything is forcibly playing out the same day on repeat, even as its inhabitants age, and when reminded of this Rick says "right, I used to drink drink". A man so powerfully ruined by grief that his entire universe stopped that day, playing out that same day on repeat in his head, and he made everyone else's stop with it: collectively ruining their lives, too, to the point that they beg him to end the farce. Also programmed holograms of the scene to replay it, and programmed his own house to haunt him forcibly - his dead wife's voice taunting him over and over about being unable to find the murderer of his wife and child. A voice unable to be muted, and just similar enough that sometimes you can pretend she's still alive.

That's all stuff he got over before the show even started (in the sense he did that at the worst depths of his self-destruction and would probably no longer do that particular thing by S1 E1, obviously not that he moved past his grief in totality), and shows just how wide a spectrum of "Rick Sanchez is hosed up" exists. He will always be hosed up, but there are varying levels of hosed up, and varying levels of hurting himself/others because of it.

Rick will probably never not be the guy who willingly eats the suicide spaghetti, willingly supplies it to his family without mentioning where he got it. But he's no longer the guy who did all that poo poo. Probably not even the guy who made Morty stick big pointy seeds up his bunghole to pass customs. And... that's a really good thing that should be celebrated! I don't think the show's gonna go to hell or become boring over it.

Tiny Myers fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Dec 19, 2023

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

If they consented to it (in an ethical, sustainable way, not the "consensual" hellscape shown in the show) then like, yeah, sure, I'll have a few bites, may as well not waste it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

XboxPants posted:

I thought they did a good job showing that while Rick does genuinely care about his grandson, he's still hosed up. Like he's still not healthy enough to be able to drop his defenses and tell Morty to his face that he cares about him and he's proud of him for making it through the hole, or let him see that he keeps the photo. Rick can have positive attachments to the people in his life, but he's still gonna express it in a hosed up way. That depiction works really well for my view of him. Plus it works for the show, and allows for some gradual growth. Really makes me think of a "this is what happens when someone stops drinking" vibe. He's not totally dead inside anymore (I CARE NOW) but he was using alcohol so long to avoid dealing he hasn't really learned better ways to like, be human. Don't worry, recovery is a bumpy as gently caress ride, we've got lots of adventures left.
This is a good post. You can really feel at certain moments that he just genuinely doesn't understand what to do with the more toxic coping mechanisms removed, but he's at least not falling back on them.

Excelzior posted:

if the remaining three seasons (for now) are on par with season 7 I would be completely fine with it; not every episode has been my jam but it seems to be a common theme in the feedback due to how wide the themes and episode concepts the show covers - there's something for everyone, but not everything for just anyone
I also feel this way. Like, not every episode hit for me personally, but even if they didn't, they were at least watchable. And the majority of them were so good that I don't really care.