Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

He literally hasn’t been allowed into the offices for years and has to record all of his lines from home. They’ll be better without him, OP.

Is there a source where someone who actually works on the show said this? I've only read it in this thread. Hell, I'd believe it if you pointed me to a kid on Reddit who says his uncle works at adult swim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

Good points.

My take is that of the apology is good enough for the person he victimized, why should it not be good enough for me, some guy who doesn't know anyone involved?

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

Guy A. Person posted:

I dunno that seems like an insane gimmick, like okay sure you get everyone to tune in and hear the new voices, so you get a rating boost for a single episode. Taking the opportunity while everyone is curious as hell about what is going on behind the scenes to advertise this and talk about the new season and how good everyone is feeling now that they are free from Justin's tyranny or whatever seems like a better long term goal to actually getting people excited about the show long-term. You could release featurette's on the hunt for new VAs and talk about how the process has informed how they wrote the season or whatever, and as a bonus you get to have your staff talk about what a great job this is and boy howdy it's good to finally be free from a toxic work environment, it seems like an easy layup.

I don't remember any of the discourse saying that Roiland was tyrannical or fostered a toxic work environment. It was all "he was basically never around and not involved creatively at all," with writers who had been on the show for years saying they'd only met him in person once.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

CelticPredator posted:

Charlie day and Danny Devito

Yes, but as who you'd think.

(Both as Summer. Just those two saying all of Summer's lines in unison).

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

Mokinokaro posted:

It doesn't help that the season's scripts were all originally made for Roiland and re-recorded late into production with Stevens. Next season should be smoother for him.

I like the approach of writing the character the same way as they would've for Roiland but having the lines be spoken by a more fitting actor.

I'm not here to dunk on Roiland as a voice actor, yes the Morty voice is hilarious, but his Korvo voice was just the Rick voice and Korvo isn't just Rick. He's sensitive and stubborn and clings to tradition and a grumpy British voice just brings all that out more immediately.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

I've liked Krapopolis so far. It has a Family Guyish sensibility, but it's a lot smarter.

I didn't realize that the first episode I watched wasn't the pilot, the character dynamics were clear enough that I thought we were being introduced to them.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I always see people complaining about how Big Mouth is ugly and like, do you want your extremely awkward and sometumes explicit tween puberty series to be good looking? Those kids are gross as gently caress, that's the point.

Maybe a little off-topic but I can't think of a show or book or movie that's gotten the tweenage experience as completely wrong as Big Mouth. The fundamental premise of the show is "middle school is a time dominated by obsession with sex" and like, did the creators go to middle school, the place where as much awkwardness as possible is done to *avoid* talking explicitly about budding sexuality? Like for every middle school kid who makes wanting to have sex their personality there are ten others who just want to be kids.

PEN15 handled it much more plausibly. The budding sexuality is there but the effort is spent avoiding it more than exploring it.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

I like the bit about one of the kids having the ghost of Duke Ellington is his attic, that's an inspired bit of absurdity. But then there's an episode about the kids dying to learn how Duke lost his virginity and...I can't imagine kids that age caring?

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Nah Rick hates time travel

The Council of Ricks was perfectly happy to use time travel to hook up the multiverse's Beths and Jerrys to produce an infinite supply of Mortys.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

The thing about salisbury steak is that I can't imagine it being anything but mid.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

I appreciate Harmon's realization that the reason that lore-heavy episodes are so beloved by the fans isn't because we're all lore-obsessed weirdos, but because the lore episodes usually rock.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

Eiba posted:

That's how you use a mythos. To make the viewer just kind of feel empty.

Whoever said this felt like year 3-5 of a webcomic isn't wrong. But the thing that makes this different is it turned its up-its-own-rear end "epic" continuity orgy into a wet fart. In the same nihilistic spirit that gave us "I buried myself in the back yard, no one's supposed to be anywhere, nothing means anything, let's watch TV," this episode defused the very concept of a meaningful continuity obsessed narrative, and rendered the whole thing hollow and pointless feeling. Not by undoing it, but by committing to it. Not in some throwaway random gag, but in the whole core mythos that had admittedly only been building for like a season or however long it's been since Rick Prime was introduced. Point is, we did the story and were pointedly asked at the end, "so what?"

Yes, the real villain is mental health.

Yes, the after credits stinger was fantastically meaningful.

What a good episode.

Oof. That's really, undeniably, the only explanation isn't it. Objectively this season is fine (I think it's fantastic). Such a ridiculous drop in rating requires some serious explanation, and that's really the only thing I can think of. That's loving grim.

Wouldn't explain the critic score drop. More likely the critics were just reviewing the lukewarm premiere, maybe?

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

Mraagvpeine posted:

I had a thought about the spaghetti episode. So Rick says that it takes an extreme amount of cortisol or whatever it was to spaghettify the body. When they were trying to find "ethical alternatives", couldn't they just produce that substance and pump dead bodies full of it rather than what they did?

*Cinemasins ding*

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

I liked the kuato three kuatos deep promising the reveal of even deeper kuatos, just delightfully stupid, especially the longish sequence of Rick failing to jiggle it off the mech.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

I liked the bit, the joke was that it's a stupid, pointless series of the same reveal over and over, which the characters were also annoyed by. Really liked the kuato episode other than the over-long club scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

PostNouveau posted:

Today I learned a podcaster I like wrote both the spaghetti episode and the fear hole episode. Always fun when my parasocial friends succeed.

The architect of maybe the greatest podcast episode of all time: the one where they invite a native guy to talk about Custer's Revenge at Thanksgiving and spend the back two thirds awkwardly apologizing.