Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

LividLiquid posted:

No it didn't. Like all accommodations made for disabled people, it died because it instantly became a joke for able people.

It became a joke because irony is supposed to be a little transgressive and making it easier to read is antithetical to the kind of point one usually tries to make when being ironic.

Besides it's not like irony is some kind of impenetrable enigma if you have Autism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

LividLiquid posted:

That's not how autism works. We don't all get every trait and none of them look like they do on TV.

I can understand irony just fine, for the most part, but it's because I've spent decades brute-forcing social cues in an attempt to assimilate. Some of us don't have to do that to understand it, and some don't care to try and shouldn't be made to.

But some of us would appreciate a little more clarity surrounding things like this and your assertion that one kind of joke will be less funny and that's why we shouldn't attempt to accommodate disabilities? That ain't it, friend.

I am personally afflicted by the 'tism. Autism doesn't mean totally arrested development, it is still possible, if more difficult, to learn social cues. If one doesn't care to try that's on them.

There's a prevailing trend among the high-functioning Autistic scene of leaning on the diagnosis as an excuse to not learn new or change behaviours.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Oct 18, 2022

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Solar Opposites rules.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

So is MPBH a metaphor or writers stand-in for Roiland? Even before the allegations it kinda seemed that way.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Season 2, which is apparently around the time Roiland started to get pushed out of the writers room (more or less). He's the most pure strain Roiland character of the cast and often broke the fourth wall, so it's a curious pick for the first episode of the show without his involvement.

Also he is literally a parasite.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

dpkg chopra posted:

He’s not? That was the whole joke about the ending to that episode.

I forget where I read it, but I recall Harmon saying that they were sort of a high-level alpha parasite. Which makes the comparison even funnier tbh

e:

quote:

I'll give you another theory. How about Mr. Poopybutthole -- just as where there's flies, there's spiders -- wherever these parasites start blooming, Mr. Poopybutthole is a different species who is more benign, or more advanced. He subsists on lives like the way that hermit crabs steal other shells. Maybe Mr. Poopybutthole takes advantage of the holes put in your memory and kind of burrows into those pre-existing holes. So he shows up where those parasites are, and he's more of a fourth dimensional phantom species that isn't bound by space, and only appears in concentrations of temporal malfunction or misperception and breakdown. Mr. Poopybutthole is insinuating himself into the universe regardless of timeline. And the same powers that allow him to do that allow him to directly talk with the audience.
link

Not that I need this quote, the character inserted himself into the show's intro where he wasn't before. The implications of that are pretty obvious.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Oct 13, 2023

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

They could age the characters every season. Has there ever been an animated show that did that?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Froghammer posted:

Adventure Time had Finn age in real time with the show

Come to think of it, didn't Flintstones eventually have teenage Bam Bam? I guess that was a spinoff, so not quite the same.

I have to wonder how this would have changed The Simpsons. The family being frozen in time has made things more weird and awkward than funny, how long has it been since any of them have developed a significant character trait?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Alhazred posted:

It's certainly a take to blame this on Morty and not Rick who could have simply chosen not to feed his family people-spaghetti.
People spaghetti is a metaphor for the food industry as a whole, that's the whole point of the episode. There isn't anything he could have put on their plates that doesn't have some horrific story behind it, same as your own plates.

The punchline to them eating Salisbury Steaks isn't that there's some sci-fi nightmare behind it, it's that they're just Salisbury Steaks; meat goo created from the leftover bits of living, sentient beings.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Nov 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Morty's voice hasn't been as good, doesn't have quite the range. Rick's just fine though and they're both good enough to let me forget about it and enjoy watching the show.

This season has been the best of the last 3. Some duds but the hits are some of the shows best (I'd list them out but I think there's already a consensus).