Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.

Nevvy Z posted:

I love that it's actually Morty that knocks everything out of sync.

Its so in character cause Morty's always on the cusp of telling Rick to gently caress off, to eventually get shot down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

Eifert Posting posted:

Jerry's character makes a ton of sense when you remember he's been sexually assaulted at least twice and implied that it was more.

I actually hope theres an episode in the third season that shows Jerry thriving on his own because he was caught up in a conceptual prison where he was constantly on the verge of breaking off his terrible marriage.

Literally that's all they could do with the character. Also, it sort of felt like Jerry got increasingly dumber as the show went on and he was just a punching bag for Rick & Co. Infact, I feel like the following episode, the family could start tearing eachother apart because they have nobody to freely tear down.

Fancy Hat! fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Apr 17, 2017

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

They better not do that, Harmon already trod that path in Community.

I don't totally trust Harmon not to go back to his own well.
BUT, I would like to have a season without an episode about their loving marriage again.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

Not that the game is necessarily canon or anything,

Except when Morty cries out that in Season 4 he will be vegan. It's canon, he said so himself.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

Honestly the least believable part of this episode was establishing that cannibalism is somewhere Rick isnt willing to go to. (Atleast not to simply prove a point to Morty)

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Well, there's eating human flesh, and then there's eating poorly prepared human flesh.

Well that makes the joke even better, drat.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

Speaking of the trailer, I'm really looking forward to what seems to be an episode when another alternate Rick & Morty attempts to take back their lives (Perhaps another timeline got cronenberged or worse?)

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

rydiafan posted:

X:RA was worth it for this villain death alone.

https://youtu.be/gNgU6DiXAO8

Xavier: Renegade Angel has some of the most mindbending word play and is, in fact, very very good.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I had no idea why any of you would give a poo poo about Rick and Morty's terrible fanbase but holy poo poo this rabbit hole owns actually.

I too side with the emotionally numb hosed up god, he's just so cool!

Also, side note, it reeeeally stung that the one time Beth & Rick finally make plans to bond is getting sloshed together. Hooofah.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

Nice lil gag was Rick's "Do the healthy thing and voluntarily re-toxify yourself."

Another good touch is Healthy Rick loses his drool

Fancy Hat! fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Aug 28, 2017

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

"No wonder you guys always fight and get behind schedule" SLAM.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

At the beginning of the episode the truth tortoise whisper something backwards to morty, did anyone backmask it to find out what it said yet?

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

I love that Jerry's mindblowers are lower format, and reasons why he's forgotten his canonical failures.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

Morty's Mindblowers is basically the Dan Harmon to Roiland's Off the Cuff Interdimensional Cable.

Season 3's been far more Harmon than the rest, so that makes sense. Oddly enough both are good! Wow!

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

21 Muns posted:

I do like this direction, but I think it would be interesting to see a season that goes as far in the Roiland direction from the first two seasons as this season goes in the Harmon direction.

I feel Tales From The Citadel is as Roiland as you can get, it's an incredibly stupid premise that goes on so long that it wraps around to being super interesting.

Its basically a better written House of Cosbies.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

So, I went ahead an checked, I rewound what the Truth Tortoise says: "I'm a Beatle, Paul is Dead".

Preeeeetty good gag.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

I kinda like how with all the "Inside the Episode" promos they've been doing this season always end with Roiland going "yep, yeah, that sure was the theme of the episode!"

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

Gotta say, it was weird to hear a character outright break the fourth wall that isn't Rick, but I guess the whole ending was about taking the piss out of him.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

Nice lil gag that the fans who want the same comfortable jokes (Like, Meseeks and randomly Gearhead) being lovely fascists is kind of a self aware admittance of the shittier sauce-obsessed side of their fanbase.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

Bust Rodd posted:

Honesty I was originally feeling almost the same way about the Holophobic running gags in Ep5.1 but upon a rewatch they all, uh, landed better because I was ready for them and actually get like they were funnier the second time.

I can’t really explain why but I was initially upset about them, then rewatched it and realized I was being silly.

I still kind get weird vibes from it, mostly just feels like Harmon taking potshots at twitter/tumbler kids taking up causes.

"A hologram asking a person to 'check their privilege' over seeming harmless comments" sure seems like stuff he rolls his eyes at on HarmonTown alot.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

Honestly Jerry would make a very good Jon Arbuckle, being a goofy loser and all.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

My favorite genre of cartoon: You expect something lovely to happen to this very nice person, and it never does and they have a wonderful day.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

BrotherJayne posted:

What the fuuuck, just got the blu ray season 4, and there is no goddamn commentary tracks

Did they not do them?

Well, this was basically the reason I was buying the Blu-Rays, so good to know I can skip this season!

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I'm sad that the Captain Planet thing is probably a mislead for next week.

I have to imagine, or Morty realizing he needs to get 5 kids together to summon the girl he likes by creating even larger ecological disasters?
That does seem a tad trite for a normal episode.

It seems that the next episode might deal with Morty dealing with the fallout of Jessica becoming a time god, since the shirt he's wearing is uh.... suggesting something to that effect.

The_Doctor posted:

I expected the episode to intentionally muddy the waters and it to never be clear if the real family had died or not.

I do like the bit at the end, since, one of decoys says decoys have "terrestrial adventures" and what I'd assume is the actual family is out in space. I feel like they had to tag that on to like... give some sense of closure and not always have that hanging over the show (but also nothing matters so its okay)

Fancy Hat! fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jul 1, 2021

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

My gut says "Funny throwaway gag in a Mindblowers-esque Episode" but also I like the idea of a Beth/Morty centric episode.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

They might as well have just ended the episode with Rick saying “Check please!” If they were gonna end it on a wet fart of a gag. Which I guess is the point when the writers realized they had no way to close the episode.

Maybe this was all just a Decoy Family episode.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

The episode hit similar notes as the sperm episode, but this one just did it better in every way.

EDIT: haha, well guess I ain't the first to hit that conclusion :v

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

HelleSpud posted:

New anime side short by Takashi Sano

Summer Meets God (Rick Meets Evil)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtgFmpkWA10

I feel like the gotron episode would have been way better if they made parts of it look like this instead of the lazy anime parody gang.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

When y'all were saying the Incest Baby shows up again, I didn't expect it to have almost zero payoff.

The episode certainly was way better the "Killer Sperm" episode, but man it had such a weird identity crisis in what it was trying to be. It couldn't just be about Rick's obsession going to far, because I liked the small touch of Morty being the one keeping him in check, but Summer overriding that to gain Rick's approval, that alone would have been a pretty tight episode. The Mafia/Baby stuff just felt incredibly extraneous?

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

Dr_Amazing posted:

A wonderful world of caaaaameraaaaaas

Holy poo poo, I can't believe I didn't catch that Harmontown deep cut.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

Morrow posted:

Really that's where the show went off the rails in my mind. It's glorious fun, but when our Rick is able to outwit and destroy an entire organization of himself, there's really no meaningful threat.

At the same time, this whole season has gone through pains to show that, while Rick can do High Concept Sci-Fi Rigamarole to gently caress anyone over, the same can happen to him in a heartbeat, which has weakened his "I'm an unstoppable God" stuff. But perhaps a lot of it is just trying to put the genie back in the bottle.

He can beat anyone or be beaten by anyone, as long as its funny or narratively satisfying enough.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Every incest baby episode has been dire and Ixm afraid they aren't done with it.

If we get a season end cap of the giant incest baby growing up and going to a giant space office to work, then I'll be pleased with it.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

Well that episode was fantastic.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

It's nice when Jerry gets a dub.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

MJeff posted:

https://twitter.com/alecrobbins/status/1618335768631734273

Narrative director of Squanch Games, I guess?

Well that explains why hasn't been on any of the "behind the scenes" videos they put out about the epsidoes in like... several seasons.
Last video I remember was back on one of the DVDs where he was bothering people by driving a little toy car with a mic & speaker around the office.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

If you ever listened to his pre-Ricky & Morty podcast, Roiland has a crazy prepper mindset, like he's definitely been earnestly been building a bunker somewhere and if he doesn't double down on the right wing cancel culture narrative, you can bet he'll just go full hermit.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

FireWorksWell posted:

I went looking, no luck on that but I came across this, involves Roiland and his beyond hosed-up attraction.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Fauxmoi/comments/10ehae8/justin_roiland_talking_about_being_attracted_to/

They keep trying to change the subject but Roiland just has to keep going in the worst possible ways.

I'm talking about Grandma's Virginity Podcast that he did with his friends. He's like constantly making "jokes" about how the world economy is gonna collapse.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

xerxus posted:

https://youtu.be/8DI946ov1ns
Hard to believe they actually put this out as a bonus video.

Even at the time when I first watched this video I was like "Wow people are *barely* tolerating this bullshit" and shut it off midway, cause I was getting secondhand embarrassment.

MJeff posted:

Harmon's evolution from the chaotic sex pest fucker running Community so poorly he got fired to the responsible adult having to deal with his own past self but somehow way worse in Roiland really is quite something.

It sure feels like he went on the same journey as alot of us went on. Where he slowly realized that Roiland really was just a one trick pony.

Fancy Hat! fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 7, 2023

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

Solar Opposites just revealed their recast:

https://twitter.com/solaropposites/status/1671265569818185730?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

alf_pogs posted:

yeah, it's a great episode but the amount of merch and marketing around Pickle Rick was absolutely bizarre given the overall message

I mean, they made kids toys of Robocop. The money people dont give a gently caress about messages. Its a meme from a popular brand so it should sell!