Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Stickarts posted:

This show creates more tension with a 24 hour copying store than The Walking Dead does with the zombie apocalypse.

The blocking and use of color in this show is flat out unreal at times. The bit where Mike's creeping around his home with his gun drawn is one of the tensest few minutes ever recorded by a camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I imagine it's going to end much as Breaking Bad did: with Slippin' Jimmy admitting that he does what he does because he's good at it. He was a man born to hustle, and when all legitimate avenues get shut in his face, either due to his own incompetence or the mistrust others have in him, he'll naturally end up gravitating towards the one remaining area (criminal lawyering) where he can spin his talents into success.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I told my photographer friend to watch this. She texted almost immediately upon starting S1 that she was impressed at how the first Cinnabon scene was shot and she's still impressed at the camera work several episodes in.

This show is seriously the best cinematography on TV in god-knows-how-long, maybe ever. BB was good but BCS has obviously honed the craft further regardless of if you think the stories stack up.

Their use of light, color, and framing is almost supernaturally good. I already mentioned the extended shot of Mike creeping around his house, but the shot of him walking away from his revenge killing in Five-O is just beautiful.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Supercar Gautier posted:

I think Chuck also grossly underestimates Jimmy's abilities as a lawyer. He acknowledges Jimmy's knack for dirty tricks, but you know he's not even entertaining the possibility that Jimmy could put together a competent defense for himself.

I liked when Chuck threw out the University of American Samoa bit as attempted slander against Jimmy. If anything, that makes Jimmy's accomplishments more impressive: managing to pass the bar with an education received from some two-bit operation shows just how seriously he must've taken his attempt to turn his life around.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Colonel Whitey posted:

Because he enjoys the hell out of it and it's the only thing he's good at. He tried playing it straight and narrow to appease his brother but just couldn't help but flick that switch. Whatever happens in BCS completely destroys his relationship with Chuck and Kim and he has no reason to keep pretending to be someone he's not. Jimmy is and always has been Saul, he doesn't need to "become" him.

I mostly agree, although I think what BCS shows pretty clearly is that Jimmy McGill is a pretty darn good lawyer who, despite being on the sleazy side, could make it in a big time law firm. He might well have settled down and become an "honest" lawyer if the door hadn't been slammed repeatedly in his face. His falls back into Slippin' Jimmy in season 1 are almost all from desperation: he tries to con Tuco's abuela and accepts the Kettleman's bribe because he's on the knife's edge of poverty and exists in a perpetual state of humiliation because of it (pretending to be his own receptionist and pulling out every excuse in the book for people to not see his utility closet office). When dishonesty and scheming gets him further ahead than the honest work he's doing - especially when he finds out that his own brother has been sabotaging him every step of the way - it's no surprise that he falls back into his huckstering ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Last Chance posted:

No. The skateboarders thought her car was the Kettlemobile when they hit it. He was trying to get the Kettlemans' business by being there when that happened

Ah, okay; thanks for the correction.

• Locked thread