Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

Henchman of Santa posted:

What time is it on? 10 eastern?

Yes, 10 PM eastern, although it looks like they're doing a marathon of season 2 in the interim today.

I hope Team #ChuckDidNothingWrong makes a comeback, it's a little too boring when everyone's cheering for Team #FuckChuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
The wacky arm waving inflatable tube guy "Let's get fired" montage was hilarious.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
Looks like AMC is running last week's episode immediately before tonight's (8:50 Eastern).
e: nvm

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
"I know my brother, he'll try to sneak in under cover of night---"

[Jimmy breaks through the wall, Kool-Aid Man style]

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

TOOT BOOT posted:

I think they didn't do the bag handoff because Jimmy is comically bad at discreetly watching someone.

Yeah, Jimmy stuck out like a sore thumb and my take while watching was that Gus had some subtle way of telling his man to cancel the handoff.

I think I disagree with the earlier commenter who said that Jimmy should be better at the spy thing, being a con artist. Jimmy is excellent at drawing attention to himself and weaving tall tales, he's no good at the kind of patience and unobtrusiveness required in Mike-style gigs.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
Well, Mike and Saul seem to have a strained professional relationship at the best of times (just look at the scene after Jimmy leaves Pollos), and their temperments are wildly incompatible.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
Holy poo poo, Jimmy does not gently caress around when he wants to twist the knife.

Petty with a Prior guy remains fantastic.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
lol chuck, real subtle there

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
I love how Jimmy bought a lunch he clearly didn't want to eat, and the sheer joy on Petty with a Prior's face when he got a free meal was almost too much. They really don't pay that guy well enough.

It's hard for me to see what Jimmy and Kim's angle for a trial is, with three witnesses it seems to me that the ADA has Jimmy pretty much dead to rights. Maybe Jimmy could bargain away the assault, but the prosecutor seems intent on nailing him with the felony B&E, which is gonna mean disbarment for sure.

As a further note, when I rewatched Jimmy's breakdown I noticed that right before Howard stepped in Jimmy mentioned burning Chuck's house down. :eyepop:

lotus circle posted:

Rewatching the start of the episode - really clever showing of the passage of time with those sneakers.
Nice catch, I didn't really connect the dots properly because I didn't consider the possibility of a flashforward.

e: I don't understand Chuck's plan with the deal unless he's planning ahead and already knows that Jimmy will reject it. Maybe the point is to make sure the prosecutor is infuriated with Jimmy no matter what? My point is that if Jimmy is disbarred then he won't be a criminal lawyer, but in all likelihood he'll just go back to another form of crime as long as he's not entirely under Chuck's thumb. Maybe my point is that I have no idea what Chuck thinks can happen in order for the story to end 'and then Jimmy behaved for the rest of his days', what's his endgame?

FreeKillB fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Apr 25, 2017

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

Zohn posted:

I assume based on the opening that Gus has been surveiling their gun dropoff point long enough to notice that Hector's goons use the shoes as a waypoint and park underneath it Everytime.

This show continues to hit it out of the park. People complain about it being slow, but I am in love with how unabashedly character focused it is. I think I might like it better than BB?
The shoes aren't a marker for Hector's goons, this is presumably the same location used by the previous driver to stash his gun. The beginning of the episode is a flashforward, showing a Pollos Hermanos truck instead of a Helado Whatever truck, showing that Gus' pipeline is ferrying drugs while the Salamanca pipeline is dry.

e:f,b

e2: I just realized how Jimmy screaming "and I'll have witnesses!" to the captain in the season premiere reflects how he should be screwed if the B&E case goes to trial.

FreeKillB fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Apr 25, 2017

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Jimmy calls Raiden, God of Lighting, to the stand as an expert.

"Your honor, I'd like to call a surprise witness."

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

Cnut the Great posted:

Of course what Chuck did to deny Kim the Mesa Verde case was a dick move
Was it even, really? Surely HHM shouldn't pull its punches to make an argument that it's better equipped to serve the interests of a client. It's on the Mesa Verde people as to whether or not they buy Chuck's argument or not. Even though Chuck clearly did it for the wrong reasons, he didn't do anything intrinsically untoward or deceitful.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
I would say that exposing the mental illness as such was a little underhanded, but the rear end in a top hat part was bringing in Rebecca to get Chuck off his game and to pour salt on his wounds.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
To be fair, according to my recollection Chuck at one point explicitly refers to a suspension as a 'slap on the wrist', so that's his point of view.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
Man, that ending was something. I was buying the sob story up to the second he mentioned Chuck (of course). Not really rooting for Jimmy as much now, hitting Chuck any more after the breakdown at the hearing seems like poor form.

That was some great television.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
He even tells Kim to get over her misgivings for Chuck by moving forward and not worrying about the past while refusing to do that himself, it's just stunning.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
Saying 'gently caress chuck. I don't care if Jimmy is only doing this out of spite.' seems like a moral statement to me.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

So Mike's conversation with the concrete paving woman...he was trying to avoid going full time into the cleaner business because he didn't want his granddaughter to ever know that her Pop-pop was a criminal. And hearing that woman talk about her husband going missing in the Gila National Forest made him realize that even if he gets caught in some cartel crossfire, his family would likely never figure out the truth about what happened to him. Right?
I found Mike pretty inscrutable this episode. Mike gonna Mike.

e: fwiw, my guess is that he just wants to make sure that whatever stunt Nacho is desperate to pull off doesn't explode and catch him in the fallout.

e2: maybe this is Mike's abrasive way of being altruistic and trying to make sure Simple Simon the rear end man and Nacho don't do anything too too stupid for their own sakes? doesn't really feel right.

e3: one more idea: somehow Mike had a 'no half measures' moment and realized he was already in too deep to cut the underworld out of his life. Not sure how to tie that to the 'husband vanishes while hiking' story though.

FreeKillB fucked around with this message at 06:27 on May 23, 2017

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I got the feeling the crying was legit at first, then as he was talking he realized he could gently caress with Chuck. Some petty revenge therapy.

Jimmy is established to be a good enough con man that upon reflection I think it's impossible to tell whether or not he had any expectation of getting any slack from the insurance company as opposed to making the whole trip just to gently caress Chuck.

My gut reaction immediately after the scene ended was to assume the worst of Jimmy: his nasty look upon leaving the office is spectacular. I think Gilligan and co did a fantastic job of hitting me over the head with the fact that as much as I want the show to be just a basically decent guy desperately using his wits and his moxie to scrape by in a world that doesn't give him a break, it's actually about Saul Goodman.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

It could be both really. Asking to look him up by name could absolutely be a first step to set up Chuck by crying about how his poor brother, Chuck, who we just saw in the customer list, is crazy. Otherwise it's quite strange to go negotiating your contract and not have any documents with you. But I have to say that in the actual scene it looked like this plan only kicked in when he heard the 150%.

I really like this scene because the more I think about it the more the way it plays out on screen seems ambiguous to me. It's certainly plausible that he brought up Chuck spontaneously after a genuine breakdown, but the whole visit being a setup is also plausible to me given how intricate Jimmy's schemes have been in the past. The viewer is left to decide whether to give Jimmy the benefit of the doubt as to whether this is a spiteful spur of the moment or if it was his plan all along. Either way, it shows that Jimmy is really getting comfortable crossing lines that shouldn't be crossed: going after Chuck right now has no benefit beyond raw vengeance. I felt scammed just watching the scene, and am probably going to mindfully refuse to implicitly trust Jimmy for the rest of the show.

FreeKillB fucked around with this message at 00:10 on May 24, 2017

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

TBeats posted:

(They also offered to pay him for what he already did.)

My recollection is that they rescinded the offer when Jimmy explained to them that Saul Goodman Productions owned the commercial instead of them (meaning they couldn't just steal his work and air it directly.)

In this situation the brothers are being capitalists of the stupid variety, of course it should be reasonable for the production crew and director are going to need to take a cut to justify their labor. The show has established that Jimmy has a talent for making memorable and effective ads, and this skill should be compensated for its value. However, Jimmy has a used car salesman air about him while trying to upsell them, so it's not unreasonable for them to assume that the 6500 is a bit of a ripoff. If Jimmy hadn't slipped, however, they probably would have found out that wrangling some film students to make an ad on your own is a little more difficult than Jimmy makes it look.

Of course, the correct thing for Jimmy to do was to walk away instead of taking another shortcut.

e: on the whole 'binding vs nonbinding verbal contract' thing, even if you took it as binding the agreement was "if you're impressed you'll sign on for the whole package" and the brothers could easily say "look, we're somewhat impressed but not $6500 dollars impressed".

FreeKillB fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jun 6, 2017

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
Their offer only covered the raw cost of airtime and covered absolutely nothing in the way of production expenses or labor costs.

It's better than nothing perhaps in the half a loaf sense but it's still a pittance, ESPECIALLY if you interpret it as them paying him means that they have perpetual distribution rights to the commercial. (In the conversation they seem to think they already have these rights, and they immediately revoke their offer when Jimmy corrects them.)

Saul is definitely not the bad guy here, up to the moment he decides to pull a Slipping Jimmy.

e:VVV I agree that they're under absolutely no obligation to give Jimmy further business on his terms. However, Jimmy did put his talent and time into creating that ad for them, and the entire conversation shows that they don't really consider his creative input to be valuable at all. This doesn't mean they're committing fraud, but they are assholes. This is roughly analogous to the situation of artists working for 'exposure' instead of for an appropriate compensation.

FreeKillB fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jun 6, 2017

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
My read is that they thought that Jimmy's 'elite package' was probably going to be worth it up to the second that they called the station and discovered the cost of airtime, at which point they turned on Jimmy on a dime.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
That was an amazing episode of television.

Jimmy completed his heel turn really really fast though.

e: I will admit in the abstract he has a point about a bird in the hand being worth two in the bush. That said, he's clearly not a neutral party in deciding what offers should be accepted or not. He's not a bad lawyer but for the big dollar stuff he's in over his head compared to HHM and Davis & Main. Even assuming that, the ends don't justify the means.

e2: VVVVV My read is that Kim was immersing herself 100% into her work as her way of coping with the fact that her situation with Jimmy had clearly become untenable over the long term.

FreeKillB fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jun 13, 2017

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

Cnut the Great posted:

I'm still enjoying the show a lot but I can't deny these complaints have some validity. Hector's stroke really did come across as pretty anti-climactic for such a big moment.

But there's so much about this show that's so good.

I actually thought the leadup to the stroke was interesting, in that the Hector/Cartel was essentially a parallel to the Chuck/Hamlin situation. Of course the fact that Hector would suffer from stroke was not going to be a surprise in any way (even if you haven't watched BB). Both Chuck and Hector expect an unreasonable amount of deference due to the fact that they helped build their organizations from the ground up, which they didn't get when they became liabilities because they had pissed off so many people being abrasive assholes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

Kind of sounds like he's saying "no tan buenos, cabrón." Granted, I barely know any Spanish, i'm just typing what I hear into google translate and seeing if something comes back.

I heard 'no te mueros' (aka Don't die), but the word after was unclear to me. Cabrón is plausible.

• Locked thread