Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011

Raxivace posted:

California was talking about passing some kind of law outright prohibiting all lawyers from having sex with clients just a few months ago. Apparently it actually is a relatively widespread issue, or at least enough for there to be a somewhat public debate about it.

Most states already have similar rules in place. CA is actually an exception right now in permitting the shtupping of clients.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011

baw posted:

It also happens in John Grisham's "The Client." Some form of payment for retainer has to pass from client to lawyer to activate the attorney-client privilege mechanism.

This is not a real requirement. It's something made up so that writers can explain attorney-client privilege to the audience.

In reality:

pre:
A relationship of client and lawyer arises when:

(1) a person manifests to a lawyer the person's intent that the lawyer provide legal services for the person; and either

(a) the lawyer manifests to the person consent to do so; or

(b) the lawyer fails to manifest a lack of consent to do so, and the lawyer
                 knows or reasonably should know that the person reasonably relies on
                 the lawyer to provide the services
So basically if someone says to an attorney "Hey can you be my lawyer?" and the attorney says "K" then the attorney-client relationship is created. To be honest the attorney doesn't even need to say that much.

Glambags posted:

DISCLAIMER: None of this post should be considered legal advice and I'm not your lawyer

EFB

Necroskowitz fucked around with this message at 18:43 on May 14, 2017

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011

Glambags posted:

Asked and answered move on counselor

My one chance to get some use out of law school and I blew it!

• Locked thread