Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I loved season one, season two was good however I felt like they were digging their heels in the mud on moving forward on plot progression.

Basically if Gus doesn't show up within the first four episodes, this is going to be very frustrating imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I'm looking forward to the new season for sure, but put me in the "I hope the pace picks up a bit" camp. I really hope Gus makes his first appearance by the first half of the season.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
This drat show lol. So little plot advancement happens in each episode yet I'm tense as gently caress and hooked the entire time.

Regy Rusty posted:

I think in Mike's position I probably could've thought of most of this scheme...

But I'd never have come up with the idea of draining the battery while still giving out a signal so that it doesn't abruptly end and give it away.
Ah, so that's what he was doing!

CaptainCaveman posted:

I guess Mike lucked out that they took the transmitter away instead of just swapping in a fresh battery.
If they saw the battery suddenly drain quickly, they might have assumed the unit itself was defective.

SweetMercifulCrap! fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Apr 11, 2017

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

TheAwfulWaffle posted:

Around here (Georgia) it's legal for one party to record a conversation without the other party's consent. BUT, it's considered unethical for a lawyer to do it, and some Court's won't allow a recording made by a lawyer into evidence.

Also, all Jimmy has to do is say he told Chuck it happened "exactly as you described" to hopefully make him feel better since he was clearly having a severe breakdown, and Hamlin can attest to this.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I didn't feel that Mike's sequence was overly long in that it was just the right length to feel real, deliberate, and tense.

But it did bother me that we waited a year for this and for the story to get moving and we're watching the minutes tick away for one very simple plot point.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Doesn't Jimmy have keys to Chuck's house? The tape would have to be kept at HHN for Jimmy to need to B&E.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I told my photographer friend to watch this. She texted almost immediately upon starting S1 that she was impressed at how the first Cinnabon scene was shot and she's still impressed at the camera work several episodes in.

This show is seriously the best cinematography on TV in god-knows-how-long, maybe ever. BB was good but BCS has obviously honed the craft further regardless of if you think the stories stack up.

Yeah, I would go as far as to say that the cinematography is a huge part of what makes this show work. It's part of the storytelling. Imagine the extended scene of Mike dismantling the car without the camerawork we saw.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Wait a second, do you think the switch from season 2 episode 1 turns the tracker on and off?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Mike must have been pretty pissed at himself for accidentally putting his brand new tracker back in the gas cap instead of the original one! He's probably following them to get it back.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I can't believe Mike Parked so close to Pollos to talk to Jimmy.

Gus knows!

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Jimmy is removing the tape using Chuck's technique, aww

E: f;b

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
HOLY. loving. poo poo.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

mobby_6kl posted:

So good episode, was great to see Gus, gently caress Chuck (no wait Chuck rules gently caress you), etc.

But what's the whole deal with the tracker? Not in the durr I don't understand what happened sense. But why the hell did they have such a huge covert handover process to deliver the dead tracker to Gus personally, when the henchmen could've just swap the battery and put it in a storage box for the next time. This whole thing seemed completely unnecessary unless... Gus set it all up as a test for Mike?! :tinfoil:

The previous morning, Mike had tracked his tracker to Pollos. He watched as his tracker stayed within the restaurant after the guy that dropped it off left. Mike figured this guy must be a delivery guy or sorts and sent Jimmy in the next morning to see what else he was dropping off and to who.

some guy on the bus posted:

Maybe they should find a better use of screen time than 20 minutes of Mike driving around looking through binoculars. And Kim deciding where to put a semicolon.

After numerous episodes of this, it was getting a little annoying, but they are probably finished for a while, and I will say that as far as making these scenes feel real, the length they spend on them is pretty much perfect.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Steve2911 posted:

I really can't stand all this "Jimmy becoming Saul" talk. Other than choosing to go by a different name Jimmy is the same character as Saul at a different point in his life.

Same, its similar to how some people talk about Walt and Heisenberg as if it's a Jekyll and Hyde thing.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Was there a purpose to Mike firing shots into the air, other than to toy with them?

Great episode.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Herv posted:

And he had a 50/50 chance at shooting the correct sneaker no?

He hopefully paid attention to which sneaker he put the drugs in, and presumably was able to tell which sneaker was which through the scope.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, Chuck is supposed to be at least in his 50's, and it's doubtful that he and Jimmy are more than ~10 years apart. Jimmy is early 40's here and late 40's in Breaking Bad.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Akumos posted:

Wait.. this showed is supposed to be in 2001-2002? What the gently caress? They really are expecting us to suspend a lot of disbelief with character appearances and basically nothing happening between the end of this show(I can't imagine it ends right before BB if it's that far back) and Walter meeting Gus on BB. Could easily see this show wrapping up in a season or two and ending in 2003-2004, so it seems weird to leave out the other like 6-7 years between the shows if that happens, unless we get some massive time skips here.. and not sure how we'd ever get the Walt cameo most people expect if it's that far back.

It seems totally plausible to me. Saul, Mike, and Gus had clearly been doing their thing for some time before Walt showed up and hosed up everything.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Chadzok posted:

Going by the podcast, seasons 1&2 were intended to clearly establish the show's own voice, new characters and differentiate it from Breaking Bad. By the sounds of it they feel they succeeded and are now happen to, with the 3rd season, tie things in with Breaking Bad more and more. I think we'll see a lot more of the BB cast stories as Jimmy's story gets darker.

As much as I'd love them to spend time with the lighter elements of seasons 1&2, the overall show is ultimately a kind of tragedy and it makes sense that they set up all the dominoes that eventually fall on Saul(+Mike).

Does anyone else think this was also a decision to boost ratings and interest in the show? From what I understand, the ratings saw a steep decline a few episodes into the first season, and after a good but meddling second season it's no surprise they would want to pick up the pace and bring Breaking Bad fans back in.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Hahaha wait. poo poo. What word am I looking for?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

It's also worth noting that throughout the episode, we see Jimmy's confidence and personality failing him over and over again. He can't talk his way into getting his community service hours back, he can't talk his commercial customers into buying any more than the bare minimum (IF that), he can't get a refund on his insurance. He's stuck in limbo between the two ends of what he's good at, being a lawyer and being a conman. Don't get me wrong, he's definitely doing what he's doing to spite Chuck. But I think he's also doing it to prove to himself he still has this ability to draw people in and convince them it's their idea to do exactly what he wants.

Yeah. This, plus Jimmy's defeated, nearly in tears demeanor after shooting the music store commercial for free tell us that at the very least, his initial breakdown with the insurance agent was genuine. He shouldn't have kicked Chuck even further, but under those circumstances, plus the punch to the gut with the %150 increase, I can totally understand why he would be compelled to do it.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Jimmy's commercial shoots reminded me of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RMz7DjHVuU

(the second part)

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I think this is new:

http://www.saulgoodmanproductions.com/

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I really feel like we should have seen Hamlin and Chuck's conversation and Chuck's reaction this episode rather than holding off, but other than that, good episode.

I was questioning why Nacho had to bust the A/C, but then it dawned on me that it was to ensure that Hector would not be wearing his coat.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
For a brief moment I thought that, since the shoes have curved soles, Irene would lose her balance when walking with them and fall over the mall balcony they were sitting next to, hence the title of the episode "Fall". But then I realized that would be loving stupid.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

RedSpider posted:

This show needs to be 13 episodes a season like BB was. Ten 43-minute episodes simply doesn't cut it; especially with all the different characters in the show now, and it shows.

I'd have to disagree. To me, each plotline feels like it's just shy of crossing the line of being stretched too thin.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
At this point in the show I think either direction for Jimmy to take with the situation with Irene makes sense for his character. But one direction is interesting and rewarding to the audience and the other is teasing the audience and keeping the future of the show ambiguous so they can stretch this out for as many seasons as they can.

I thought this was the best season until this episode. Kim's car accident had almost no repercussions other than a broken arm. Both clients were accepting of it and the Texas guy even sent her gifts. Mike and Nacho are exactly in the position we thought they would be, so in other words a season long arc that did little more than connect the dots. I bet it will turn out that Chuck didn't even actually die.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Don't assume that Chuck is dead.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Open Source Idiom posted:

I honestly don't think he is. There's that conversation at the start of the episode, where the younger Chuck assures Jimmy that the character in the book they're reading will survive the cliffhanger. Same deal here.

(Also, Chuck's mental health mirror's Jimmy's morality. Jimmy took a step back from the brink, Chuck will too.)

I didn't make that connection but that is an excellent observation. And also the last two season finale cliffhangers ended up being a bit of a fakeout. Season 1 ends with Jimmy stating he will be playing dirty and for himself from now on, not taking the job at Davis & Main, and riding off into the sunset to 'Smoke on the Water.' Season 2 opener: Nope, just kidding, he actually took the job.

Season 2 ends with the implication that Jimmy is in deep legal poo poo from the recording alone, and surely this will send him spiraling toward becoming a criminal lawyer. Season 3 begins with the recording itself being pretty much useless.

Side note, I'm amazed at how much the actor playing teenage Chuck sounds like him.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

"Chuck's not dead" is so unbelievably stupid and I can't even be mad about it, because the people who think that have been conditioned by schlock to never believe that someone's dead unless they see a body, and sometimes not even then.

Yes, it would be schlocky and he better loving be dead, but I'm not going to rule it out completely, especially after the last two season finale cliffhangers.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I'm pretty sure everyone other than the first person is joking about this. I don't know though... hard to tell.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah and then on top of that, it's the only part of the show that even reminds you that this is a Breaking Bad prequel, because Jimmy still isn't anywhere close to the character he was in Breaking Bad.

Jimmy's story feels like it's where it should have been at halfway through season 2, and Mike's story has been little more than fan service. "Oh ok, so that's how Mike met Gus. Neat." It's not surprising at all that so many people have jumped ship on this show. I still do like it but after the back-peddling in s03e10, I wouldn't be terribly upset if this doesn't get renewed, which is shocking since s03e09 made me think I would be devastated to have to wait a year.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I love the cinematography too - it's a great example of how much it can make any scene interesting, though the extended scenes can be a bit frustrating when there's only ten episodes per year and the burn is extremely slow as it is. I find myself going "ok it's beautiful and all but the clock is ticking, let's get some plot progression."

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

That DICK! posted:

I'm kinda tired of seeing this post every page. Especially considering Gilligan et al talk about "Jimmy becoming Saul" all the time on the podcast

It does make more sense for Jimmy too since he literally takes on a persona for the camera and for his clients. Walt just coined the name and persona to convince himself that he was more badass than he really was.

What annoys me more is when people talk about Walt/Heisenberg like a Jekyll and Hyde thing. "Oh when he said this he was Walt, but later when he said this he was Heisenberg."

SweetMercifulCrap! fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jun 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Sinteres posted:

I'm trying to imagine what Breaking Bad would have been like with this show's pacing. Obviously Walt had fits and starts too, but he was already cooking meth and killing people in the first episode. Imagine if he was still puttering around at the car wash in the third season and wrestling with the morality of selling meth. Obviously I don't think that's really a fair comparison, but it amused me anyway. I do think the breakneck pace of the pilot has a lot to do with why Breaking Bad is so great though. The opening flash forward makes you think it's the end of the season or maybe even series, but nope, it gets there in one episode and lets you know immediately that the show's going to be something special.

The first two episodes of season one actually did a similar thing, though. Jimmy pretty much immediately gets swept up in the cartel underworld. The first episode ends with him being held hostage. The second has him using his lawyer skills to negotiate a person's life with a crazy criminal. It ends with Nacho giving Jimmy his number, saying to call him when he's ready to be "in the game."

The rest of season one dialed this back a bit, and season 2 did a total soft reset. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy the show as is, but I would have loved the show that was presented to us in those first two episodes.

SweetMercifulCrap! fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jul 4, 2017

• Locked thread