Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Big Mean Jerk posted:

They're nazis that Walt paid and hired, who killed Hank and Gomie because of Walt's actions, and Walt had no issue with them taking and torturing Jesse. He only killed them to try and clear his own conscience and to massage his own ego because they were making his product.

So I believe you will find that both Walt and Nazis are bad and do not count for positive karma.

He killed them to clear his own conscience, of course. But it had nothing to do with massaging his ego anymore at that point. He was out for revenge for the death of Hank. He no longer even cared about the rest of the money they took from him. As with many other people, I fear your overwhelming hatred for the Walter White character may have blinded you to some pretty pivotal character shifts that happened in those final two episodes. The people who have the biggest misconceptions of what goes on in these shows always seem to be those who derive their enjoyment primarily from their seething, self-righteous, simplistic hatred of what are actually pretty three-dimensional anti-villain characters like Walter White and Chuck McGill. (It's almost the other side of the coin as that subset of fans who watch the show rooting unreservedly for Walt while possessing a pathological hatred for Skyler.)

It's true that he was okay with them taking and torturing Jesse because he was distraught over Hank's death and the loss of his vast fortune, both of which he irrationally blamed on Jesse and his "betrayal" of their partnership--but this was prior to his hellish exile in the New Hampshire wilderness and the resultant introspection that spurs his more self-aware quest to rectify his pride-fueled mistakes. When he arrives in Albuquerque again, he believes that Jesse has started willingly working with the Nazis. He doesn't realize the truth of the situation until Jesse is brought to him in the compound, at which point he's moved by love and pity and decides to shield Jesse with his own body as one of his final acts. He doesn't stop being Heisenberg, but he does become a more anti-heroic, synthesized Heisenberg who's more in tune with his own motivations and desires. He achieves at least a partial redemption, in the sense that he becomes a more Mike-like character: a criminal and a murderer and a bad dude, but one who at least knows exactly who and what he is and how to make the best of it in the world he's chosen to live in.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 22:53 on May 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

The lantern will not set anything on fire, but simply be the sole source of light in an important scene.

Odds are it actually is something like this and all the blatant references to fire and Chuck's house burning down are intentional misdirection. Unironically.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Chuck: This is about PR.

Hamlin: This is going to be very bad for our image.

Chuck: Did I say PR? I meant Justice.

Chuck wasn't expressing his own opinion that it was about PR, he was letting Hamlin know that he knew that's what Hamlin was concerned about.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think the theories that Jimmy changes his name because of Chuck's illness are becoming more likely by the minute.

I personally don't see how that's likely. I'm not seeing how Chuck's illness could do damage to the McGill name in any way that would affect Jimmy's ability to attract clients from among the general public. The most that seems liable to happen is that a bunch of people within the legal community hear about all the drama and gossip about it amongst themselves. The sort of high-profile clients HHM caters to might avoid the firm if Chuck damages its reputation, but Jimmy's clients--be they elderly citizens or the sort of low-life criminals he later comes to serve--neither know nor care about those kinds of things.

I'm also betting there's more to the story than the "homeboys want a pipe-hitting member of the tribe" line he gives to Walt in BB, but I'm just not sure what it's going to be yet.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

clown shoes posted:

I just went back to check, Chuck messed up the bank branch address during his meltdown.

Are you sure? He's saying "It was 1216", as in that's the number that was on the documents he used to draw up the case, since Jimmy put that number there. He knew that was the number on the documents he was using (before Jimmy switched them back) because it's one year after the Magna Carta was signed. It's the same thing he said at the time, and he was right.

Incidentally, am I really the only person who feels bad for Chuck on any level? The man is mentally ill, and regardless of that not entirely in the wrong. Jimmy really has gotten away with a lot of stuff throughout his life that he shouldn't have gotten away with, all because he's quick-witted and likable. Of course what Chuck did to deny Kim the Mesa Verde case was a dick move, but that doesn't mean Jimmy should have done what he did. Like, if all this was playing out in real life, and your friend told you he feloniously altered legal documents in order to humiliate his mentally ill brother and win back a client for his lawyer girlfriend because she deserved it more, you would be like, "Right on, bro, that was exactly the right move"? I think I would tell him to take a step back, accept that his brother's a dick, realize that two wrongs don't make a right, and be the better man.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Big Piece O poo poo posted:

I haven't felt an ounce of compassion or pity for Chuck since the end of season 1. Am I doing this right?

I don't know, it just seems to me like this show is intentionally written so as to give Chuck an at least partially understandable point of view, giving greater depth to the conflict between Chuck and Jimmy than would exist were this a simple good-vs-evil story, and thus making the show and its characters significantly more interesting. But it seems like all everyone in Internet threads ever does is shout "gently caress CHUCK" over and over again, like the show's only or primary value is to be found in hate-watching Chuck and wishing for him to suffer, while uncritically cheering on a protagonist whose actions in service of this brotherly feud are becoming increasingly morally ambiguous.

I'm not saying "gently caress CHUCK" isn't a part of the show, but "Chuck has a point despite being a dick" is IMO an equally large part of the show which is almost entirely overlooked in online fanbase discussion, I guess because it introduces complexity to the character and isn't as fun or easy as simply treating him as a weekly outlet for displaced feelings of resentment and anger incurred in real life?

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

FreeKillB posted:

Was it even, really? Surely HHM shouldn't pull its punches to make an argument that it's better equipped to serve the interests of a client. It's on the Mesa Verde people as to whether or not they buy Chuck's argument or not. Even though Chuck clearly did it for the wrong reasons, he didn't do anything intrinsically untoward or deceitful.

Exactly! There are two sides to the story, neither of them necessarily aligning completely with any notion of objective truth or morality. This is what makes the show so compelling.

Chuck would probably argue that he did it because HHM is genuinely the better firm for Mesa Verde's needs, and that he has no obligation to whiff on a potential client just because his former employee wants the client in order to fund the private practice she's starting in loose association with his ne'er-do-well brother, who has no respect for the law and who will probably, in due course of time, bring her and all her clients crashing down into a morass of seedy shortcuts and flagrant illegality along with him.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Solice Kirsk posted:

So he really butchers it on the stand.

No, he doesn't. As I said before:

Cnut the Great posted:

Are you sure? He's saying "It was 1216", as in that's the number that was on the documents he used to draw up the case, since Jimmy put that number there. He knew that was the number on the documents he was using (before Jimmy switched them back) because it's one year after the Magna Carta was signed. It's the same thing he said at the time, and he was right.

Chuck is always technically right, that's like his thing.

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

I'm not saying it can't be done and I'm also completely willing to suspend my disbelief that Huell is just really good at what he does. But I am curious about the mechanics of putting something in someone's breast pocket that quickly and smoothly without them noticing.

Huell has magic hot dog fingers.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Walt being horrified at killing Mike makes no sense. They were never close or even had a mural respect, and they'd just spent the last few episodes fighting over literally every decision in the business. At that point Walt was also well beyond remorse, so it makes total sense for him to immediately think of the business mistake first (not going to Lydia first) instead of the personal mistake (probably shouldn't have killed a man).

That's a complete and total misreading of the scene. Walt is horrified at killing Mike because he realizes he did it for absolutely no reason or benefit. It's the first time he's really forced to contend with the fact that his own pride pushes him to do stupid, irrational, evil things.

For the umpteenth time, Walt is a multidimensional character, not a one-dimensional hatewatch target. I can't believe anyone could watch that moment play out and think it was just meant as further confirmation of Walt's single-minded focus on business concerns. I disagree with Cranston's opinion on whether the line was necessary, but he absolutely understands Walt's character better than you in this instance.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Work Friend Keven posted:

I don't think you could do a Gus show, the character wouldn't really work as a lead without major changes.

If you did a show about the rise of Gus, there's also no way you'd be able to use Giancarlo Esposito without crossing the line from reasonable suspension of disbelief to outright parody. Obviously a show about a younger Gus, if truly good in and of itself, wouldn't need Esposito to work, but it kind of conflicts with his own professed desire to star in a Gus spin-off.

As far as the story of the rise of Gus goes, I think BCS should prove perfectly adequate to scratch that itch. With the way things are now, the creators can reveal as much or as little about Gus's past as they feel is appropriate. They're not locked into anything either way.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Accretionist posted:

I'm hoping we achieve overlap with Breaking Bad from Jimmy's perspective.

In his first scene, he requests payment from Badger to Ice Station Zebra Associates. Could he still be in business with Kim?

A lot of people pooh-pooh the idea of this show ever overlapping with Breaking Bad, but personally I would be very interested in gaining more understanding into certain weird inconsistencies in his character, like how Saul goes from casually advocating shanking one of his own clients in jail in his first appearance, to apparently retaining enough of a personal code that he refuses to betray the location of a client to Mike at the risk of his own life and limb. My suspicion is that they simply conceived him as a slightly more amoral character than they eventually ended up settling on, but it would be interesting if they could still somehow make it work. Like maybe there's some character development stuff going on with Saul behind the scenes that we didn't know about, where he starts to regain some of his more Jimmy-like qualities for whatever reason.

But this seeming discrepancy has always been one of the most intriguing things about Saul's character in Breaking Bad to me.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Rexides posted:

Overlapping with Breaking Bad means that this show won't get any kind of climactic ending.

How does that follow?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I always love stuff like when he wouldn't give Mike the address, but "oh, now I might have an address on my desk, and now I'm going to step away for a bit and assume that you WON'T go looking for it" sort of thing. Like how he demanded that Walt and Jesse give him a dollar each so that he could legally be considered their council. I like those 'skirting the law' things where he doesn't have to technically lie or whatever.

Well, that wasn't even Jesse's actual location. The whole rigmarole where he pretends to let Mike see it on a technicality is just so Mike won't suspect that Saul is still defying him. Saul even tells Mike in that scene that he wouldn't be able to live with himself if he gave up Jesse, and he sounds strangely sincere.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 04:54 on May 14, 2017

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

yeah I just wanna second that this is how I've always read that scene too. It's not necessarily that Saul is gung ho about icing some kid, he's just genuinely confused why someone seemingly so deep in the drug business would want to go with a half measure like that. Jimmy's not dumb, he knows how they do things, and I'm sure by BB he's had plenty run ins with organized crime

I'd like to read it this way but it doesn't really ring true. He isn't, like, actively gung ho about it, but it's pretty clear Saul is totally cool with the idea of just icing the kid. He suggests doing the same thing to Jesse when Jesse starts threatening to turn Walt in to the DEA.

Javid posted:

I always took that as him just presenting a much more severe option B so they stick with option A (where they pay him 50 grand to arrange a decoy arrest)

That's really not how it plays at all. Right when they're about to go through with the decoy arrest plan, he even asks them one more time whether they really wouldn't rather just have Badger shanked in jail. It's pretty clear that he's taking a real risk with the convoluted Jimmy In-'N-Out plan and would rather just go with the cleaner, safer option of offing Badger so he can't talk to anyone. It comes across like this is something he's had done before as a matter of course.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 05:55 on May 14, 2017

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

VagueRant posted:

I haaaaaaaated the Tuco reveal at the end of the pilot because it seemed like this, but they made up for it by it leading to the scene of them in the desert with Jimmy negotiating down murder to some broken legs and that sequence is still one of the best arguments for the existence of this spinoff. (And works without the context of Breaking Bad!)

Well I hate people who do the whole "haaaaaaaated" thing. I mean jeez, "hate" is a strong enough word already.

Cojawfee posted:

There's literally no reason to watch this show aside from seeing how he turns into the guy from the other show.

Aside from the fact that it's really good and entertaining?

But I can actually empathize with the people who get frustrated at the Mike (and now Gus) subplots taking up time that could be spent on Jimmy's story instead. Sometimes I just want to see more of Jimmy too. But then Mike does something really cool or Hector totally steals yet another scene and it makes me glad the show is the way it is.

e: Oh yeah, and I'm also really glad Rebecca finally came out and said what I've been saying for a long time: Chuck is mentally ill and Jimmy isn't, so it was always on Jimmy to take the moral high ground and stop making the situation worse even in the face of Chuck's antagonism.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 03:55 on May 18, 2017

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Accretionist posted:

Only to a point. Past that point, why should Jimmy sacrifice his life to Chuck's mental illness?

Not going to extreme and elaborate measures to gaslight his sick brother in order to get back a client he legitimately poached from his girlfriend is not the same thing sacrificing his life to Chuck's mental illness.

maskenfreiheit posted:

I'd be shocked if there's not a no contact order attached to his probation. I'd stay the hell away from someone who'd pressed charges of me regardless to avoid even the appearance of harassment.

Sure, but we all know the real reason he doesn't want to go over there is because he just doesn't give a poo poo about Chuck's well-being anymore and would be perfectly content to just let him rot to death in his house. And it's easy to understand why Jimmy feels that way, but it doesn't make it right.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 04:29 on May 18, 2017

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

maskenfreiheit posted:

exactly. maybe he should explicitly say "I can't risk my freedom to support Chuck's neurosis anymore" but JFC

He actually did allude to that, but that clearly wasn't the main thing on his mind. The main thing he's feeling in that scene is "gently caress Chuck, I'm out for myself from now on."

I'm pretty sure a lot of people in this thread are going to be at a real loss as to how to feel going forward in this season, as it looks right now like Jimmy is set to become increasingly more of a self-serving jerk even as Chuck comes to terms with the fact that his illness is all in his head and becomes a more self-aware, sympathetic character.

e:

Cojawfee posted:

Did you miss the part where Jimmy was actually sacrificing his life to help his brother?

That's not what has Chuck holed away in his house at that moment going through a mental health crisis. It's the fact that Jimmy gaslighted him, committed a felony, humiliated him in front of a panel of his professional peers, and managed to convince everyone that he was a babbling lunatic when he was in fact the one telling the actual truth--all while Jimmy gets off with what is basically a slap on the wrist. Obviously Chuck has his own share of responsibility for all the indignities that have been visited upon him, but that doesn't mean Jimmy gets to be absolved of his own share of personal responsibility for the extremely poor choices he's made.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 04:44 on May 18, 2017

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Not being able to work for a year in your chosen profession is a "slap on the wrist" to you?

He committed a felony and then lied about it under oath, dude. Yeah, being suspended for a year is nothing. Even Kim and Jimmy see it as something to celebrate. Because they know they got away with something they really shouldn't have.

Stickarts posted:

The show is compelling because all the characters are so complicit in the events that are taking place. No one comes away clean. I understand why this thread is pro-Jimmy and I'm cheering for him myself. But regarding Jimmy taking care of Chuck, Jimmy had been enabling his mental illness for some time.

e. I mean, Chuck obviously loves being served. That scene with the whiskey was so spot on. He expects people to mince and cowtow.

I agree. I'm playing Devil's advocate just because the conversation tends to be so one-sided against Chuck otherwise. I do have empathy for Chuck, but really I'm still rooting for Jimmy at the end of the day...for now.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

LeJackal posted:

Did he actually lie about it?

I don't know, did he? He certainly crafted an argument intended to convince the panel that his confession on the tape was not genuine, and that Chuck's completely accurate (and actually quite cleverly deduced) theory of what happened was simply another symptom of his mental illness. Morally, what he did was not good.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Pedro De Heredia posted:

It's also a stretch to say he can't do 'proper, by the book lawyer stuff'. His issue at Davis & Main wasn't related to the law. He did something that is bad professionally, but is by no means any kind of moral failure or real problem. I would say the show intentionally makes Davis & Main look ridiculous, and makes the issue that gets Jimmy in trouble be something so trivial, precisely so that you don't come away thinking that he's just some kind of broken individual who can't ever behave.

Davis & Main didn't look ridiculous, they just looked stuffy and boring--but ultimately more professional than what Jimmy was offering them. Jimmy's was a flamboyant, ambulance-chasing lawyer type commercial that would have tarnished Davis & Main's public and professional reputation. It was a perfect fit for who Jimmy was, but it was a damaging and selfish thing to do to the people he worked for, who had treated him with nothing but encouragement and kindness and put their trust in him.

And Jimmy can't do "proper, by the book lawyer stuff", at least not for long. It just isn't in him. Remember when he illegally cuts corners by soliciting litigants in Amarillo for the Sandpiper case? You're telling me that wasn't because Jimmy is a naturally shady guy who prefers to take the shortest route between two points regardless of legality, but rather because Chuck's jerkiness was somehow mind controlling him into doing it? It's only Chuck's (and Kim's) expressed disapproval that causes him to reconsider his actions in that instance.

Jimmy is an adult. He's responsible for his own choices. He can't blame all his poor behavior on Chuck being mean to him. Eventually, the buck has to stop with himself.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

hiddenmovement posted:

Davis & Main look ridiculous for hiring Jimmy in the first place

He looked good on paper, he came with a reference from Howard Hamlin himself, and he comes across as a likable, personable guy when you meet him. What was so ridiculous about it?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Guys, it was because of the goddamned coffee cup holder.

If the coffee holder had been just a little bit bigger, Jimmy never would have broken bad, he never would have been there as Saul to help and enable Walter White, Mike would still be alive, and countless people's lives would have been saved from forfeit or ruin. Jimmy just wanted to be a good boy....but those goddamned tyrants at Big Coffee Holder just. wouldn't. let him.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Colonel Whitey posted:

The cup holder was such a hilariously on the nose metaphor, I loved it

Agreed. It was absolutely impossible to miss that it was a metaphor for Jimmy having a huge, girthy cock. Not sure what that had to do with the themes or story of the show, though. One of Vince's rare creative misfires, I guess.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

CaptainCaveman posted:

Nacho isn't just going to put one bad pill in the bottle, he's swapping the bottle of real pills for fake ones. Mike knows that once something bad happens to Hector, people are likely to check the pills to make sure they were good. So once he takes a bad pill, Nacho needs to swap the good ones back in or else people will know that someone swapped the pills.

It's the same thing Jimmy does when he switches Chuck's Mesa Verde documents.

Honestly I wouldn't have thought Nacho would need Mike to point that out to him.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

FreeKillB posted:

Man, that ending was something. I was buying the sob story up to the second he mentioned Chuck (of course). Not really rooting for Jimmy as much now, hitting Chuck any more after the breakdown at the hearing seems like poor form.

That was some great television.

Exactly, there's absolutely no reason for him to do it other than pure spite because his own life is going down the tubes.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

drunken officeparty posted:

I'm not an insuranceologist but I don't think they can gently caress with his poo poo just because Jimmy tattled that he had a bad day at one hearing

That's why he mentioned a transcript of the hearing. The one where Jimmy presents all the sundry evidence of Chuck's mental illness. I imagine that would be enough for the insurance company to want to look into things even further and go, welp.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

drunken officeparty posted:

Yeah I know but if nothing actionable happened what could they do. I can post all day about being a bad driver but my car insurance can't gently caress with me until I actually get into an accident.

Never underestimate the ability of an insurance company to screw you over on a mere whim.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

The Human Crouton posted:

gently caress Chuck. I don't care if Jimmy is only doing this out of spite. Whether right or wrong, when you take everything away from people, they will want to extract revenge. It's human nature and if Chuck is so loving smart he should know his Machiavelli well enough to either have left Jimmy alone or killed him.

Chuck played the game, and he doesn't get to quit just because he's ahead.

I don't think this is a healthy life philosophy.

Jimmy already got his revenge on Chuck, twice over really. And all things considered, he mostly got away with it. Chuck hasn't made a single move against Jimmy since the hearing and if anything appears right now to be trying to finally move on from the feud between them. And I wouldn't describe Chuck as "ahead." He's still a sad, lonely, mentally ill old man whose only remaining reason to muddle forward--his professional reputation--has been utterly taken away from him. Jimmy has his health, he has Kim, and he even has his law license back in a year. So his insurance premiums are higher--so what? I guess he'll just have to do what Kim said and move into a smaller office with her, and maybe swallow his pride and let Kim help him out financially, at least for a little while.

Actively endorsing pure revenge as a moral good is not something I can get on board with.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

NowonSA posted:

I think the waterworks were just there as part of his plan to gently caress Chuck over. I also agree that he wasn't intending on doing that when he went there, but when he found out that not only couldn't he get a refund but his rate was going to skyrocket he threw Chuck under the bus too. And hey, if his breakdown got his money back all the better, although I'm sure he wasn't really expecting it to.

I also really liked the insurance lady's argument for why he couldn't get the money back, since it'd protect him if any of his previous clients sued him. I mean sure, I think it's bullshit and Jimmy does too, but it at least presented a plausible reason for their policy and for why there was really no legal way for Jimmy to go against it.

So what was up with him asking if they could just stop his insurance and start it back up again if someone were to sue him? Surely Jimmy's smart enough to understand why that makes no sense and is not a thing an insurance company can or should do.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Jerusalem posted:

Watching Jimmy sneer as he detailed his plan to con the rear end in a top hat in the restaurant, and Kim's slowly growing unease was great, the acting on this show is really good (as is literally every other aspect of the show).

I figured at the end that Jimmy was making some kind of sympathy play to get her to help him out, it wasn't until he started talking about Chuck that I realized he was just looking to gently caress him over since he blames him for the situation he finds himself in now. That final shot of him walking away and grinning was so great.

In the short behind-the-scenes video on the AMC site, Odenkirk says he played the breakdown as a genuine, in-the-moment emotional reaction right up until the part where Jimmy hits upon the Chuck stuff and suddenly realizes what he can do with it.

hiddenmovement posted:

Mike asks two characters 'get yourself out of it' and they both reply 'I can't, I'm already deep in it''.

Same applies to Mike. Nacho is stuck, which makes baseball card guy stuck AND Mike stuck, because the first person tuco/the twins are gonna look at if this thing goes south are the people Hector has pissed off.

I agree that mikes b story doesn't make a lot of sense. Is he now worried that Kaylee might never know what happened to pop-pop? Why did he not feel that way before? How does navy widows speech tie in with the theme of Mike being too involved now to withdraw? Not the strongest ep from that POV.

I don't think Mike is stuck, really. He can walk away any time. Nacho said it himself last season: Hector completely forgot about Mike already.

No, Mike just wanted something from Nacho. That's why the episode ends with him taking his notebook out, about to ask Nacho something. What that is, we don't know yet. Traditional storytelling convention would seem to dictate that it has something to do with his new lady friend and the disappearance of her late husband, but that strikes me as a bit hackneyed at this point, to be honest. The balance of probabilities has it that he just had bad luck and died in any manner of mundane ways alone out in the wilderness, just like what usually turns out to have happened in those sorts of situations. What are the odds that it had anything to do with the Cartel, and why would Mike jump to that conclusion? (If that's really the direction the story is going, of course.)

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 14:10 on May 23, 2017

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

mobby_6kl posted:

It could be both really. Asking to look him up by name could absolutely be a first step to set up Chuck by crying about how his poor brother, Chuck, who we just saw in the customer list, is crazy. Otherwise it's quite strange to go negotiating your contract and not have any documents with you. But I have to say that in the actual scene it looked like this plan only kicked in when he heard the 150%.

I don't know, I think it's perfectly in keeping with Jimmy's character to not bother to bring any information with him, since they can just look him up by name and have it all at their fingertips. This is Jimmy we're talking about, if there's a shortcut he'll take it, no matter the situation.

(Pretty scintillating discussion, huh?)

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

RentACop posted:

I thought this was cute (BB spoilers if you're a lunatic)

For all the talk of how good he looks (not that he doesn't), Esposito really does stand out the most for being quite obviously older than he was on BB.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Huell really took the prequel idea to heart though. Seriously good on him.

In that vein, shout out to Max Arciniega as Krazy-8:

That's unreal.

Ditocoaf posted:

Well, Jonathan Banks maybe moreso, despite the Mike joke there.

I've been saying the same thing in the past, but going back and watching recently....eh, going from "mean old gently caress" to "even older mean old gently caress" isn't as jarring a change as I thought. The biggest disconnect is his first appearance in BB before he was really Mike, where Banks plays him with noticeably more energy and personality than the laconic, lethargic-yet-lethal Mike that he eventually settled into.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 02:02 on May 24, 2017

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Accretionist posted:

Eh. Chuck attribute the business's failure and the father's death to Jimmy. His father had a reputation for being an easy mark and was routinely targeted. I'd be surprised if Jimmy were a real factor in what he's blamed for.

Pretty sure his dad would have at least kept track of the money he knowingly gave away. The massive shortfall Chuck discovered was almost certainly entirely due to Jimmy using his father's store as his own personal piggy bank for much of his life. Chuck didn't turn out to be right about Jimmy skimming from the till just by pure coincidence.

In which case, even if Jimmy wasn't the sole cause of the business's failure (he probably wasn't), he certainly exacerbated its decline. In some ways what Jimmy did is worse. He wasn't stealing from a business that could afford to lose a bunch of money, he was stealing from a business that was already struggling to make it. And he probably used it to buy things like nudie mags and drugs and alcohol.

ALFbrot posted:

Mike met her, and they had a nice connection.
Mike was visited by Playuh, who told him that Nacho was in the market for empty nitro capsules.
Mike immediately cottoned on that Nacho will use them to hit Hector.
Mike, not wanting to deal with Playuh and having been dissuaded from anti-Hector action by Gus, washes his hands of the matter.
Mike goes to the support group, learns that her husband died mysteriously and she has carried that burden for nearly a decade of intense suffering.
Putting a human face to the pain renews and intensifies Mike's animus towards Hector for the murder of the good samaritan (and, to a lesser extent, the driver of the truck)
Mike decides that he wants Hector dead again, after all.
If it's gonna happen, he's gonna make sure Nacho does it right.

Yeah this is right and I'm an idiot, I totally blanked on the fact that Mike figured out that Nacho was going to try to kill Hector just based on what Pryce told him when they first meet in the episode.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 20:06 on May 24, 2017

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Blazing Ownager posted:

I love how people don't trust this show to tie the Mike & Saul plots together with a bow at the end.

Doubly so since Saul knows Gus, and is the guy who pointed White to Gus, meaning they absolutely have to cross paths on a criminal level. My guess is that Saul's need for money will leave him to take a big risk and helping Gus, Nacho and Mike with the Hector plan.

We actually don't know that Saul knows Gus. In BB he just tells Walt that "he knows a guy who knows a guy....who knows a guy." For some reason everyone assumes that Saul was just lying, but I see no reason why Gus would ever want to get directly involved with Saul before the events of BB. It's very possible Jimmy and Gus never again directly cross paths on BCS. Jimmy's involvement with Cartel business could be solely through Mike and Nacho, with Gus remaining at a distance.

Edge & Christian posted:

Given what we know from this show and Breaking Bad, Gus hates the poo poo out of Hector, and Hector hates the poo poo out of Gus.

If Hector gets shot in the head by a sniper in the middle of cartel business, that is the very definition of foul play, blame and blowback will be directed at known antagonist-to-Hector Gus, a war would break out, etc. etc. etc. That's why Gus doesn't want Hector killed, at least in an obvious way.

In the long term, Gus clearly wants Hector out of the picture. If Hector is kill or debilitated by "natural causes", it eliminates competition in a way that doesn't blow back on Gus. I imagine that's Mike's mindset, or at least his escape clause if any/all of this comes to Gus's attention. Because Mike definitely still wants Hector dead.

It's that, and he also wants to draw out his revenge against Hector. I don't think Gus would look too kindly on Mike for killing Hector prematurely, even if it is done in an undetectable way. The only reason Mike is letting Nacho go through with his plan is because he thinks Gus won't be able to figure out what really happened. I'm sure neither Mike nor Nacho is expecting Hector to come out of this alive but simply debilitated.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 06:04 on May 25, 2017

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Javid posted:

I think it's also possible that Mike already contacted Gus and they're going to turn the murder plan into something else.

I doubt it. That's generally not how this show operates. Except for the big Chuck reveal in the first season, everything mostly tends to be what it appears to be. That's part of why I like this show so much. The drama isn't manufactured based on arbitrarily withholding information from the audience.

If Nacho's plan doesn't go off the way it's supposed to, it'll be because of something that's as surprising to our viewpoint characters (Nacho and Mike) as it is to us.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

The Ninth Layer posted:

I'm rewatching this show after just getting done with a Breaking Bad marathon. Some observations:

- When Jesse and Walt are checking out Saul's place for the first time, Jesse tells Walt that he knows Saul through Emilio, his original cook partner in the pilot episode. Saul got Emilio out from certain legal trouble twice, the second time possibly being in the pilot where Emilio posted bail for the DEA raid. Krazy 8 recently mentioned in a BCS episode that he's "working with a young guy" or something along those lines, so there's a fair chance Emilio shows up on BCS.

Emilio is Krazy-8's cousin.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Secret Agent X23 posted:

Gus is most definitely a great boss at the chicken shop, the likes of which these folks may very well never see again. But I'm telling you that if I'm one of those employees, I'm not assuming that's the end of the matter, and I'm starting my job search the very first thing the next morning.

Sounds like you hate America or something. Gus and the Los Pollos Hermanos family will be better off without you.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Speaking of their ability to strip mine the past for relevant details, I just started rewatching BB and noticed this:

From Breaking Bad S02E02 "Grilled" (Same episode and scene where they mention Tuco killing the biker):

From Better Call Saul S03E06 "Off Brand":

Huh, if it happened in prison you'd think they'd be more than "pretty sure."

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Rexides posted:

That lantern has been shown and even mentioned in the show so many times that by now it's basically Chekhov's Thermonuclear Blast.

Which means what we all think is going to happen, probably isn't going to happen. They want us to think "Lantern" is going to be a "Box Cutter"-type indicator of what's going to happen in the episode.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Spellman posted:

Kim: "I hosed Chuck"
Jimmy: ">:S"

Well we can't say we haven't been asking for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Why are you happy for Chuck managing to do anything

Because he's a sad broken man and it's a healthy part of being human to feel compassion and empathy for such people when they make strides toward getting better.

Tenzarin posted:

So Chuck is gonna come back and try to get revenge on Jimmy and he loses again and finally goes crazy?

Or Chuck finally decides to let it go but Jimmy can't and he ends up going full Saul and destroying everything.

• Locked thread