Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
So glad I decided to catch up on this and that it's back. Mike is scary loving patient and cunning. I didn't even fully realize what he was doing until he pulled out the tracker at the end, and slowly wearing out the battery instead of just yanking it was genius.

I honestly didn't realize the level of Chuck-hate until I read this thread since I only just recently binged the show, and while I totally understand, holy gently caress does Michael McKean act the poo poo out of it. I've never seen him in anything as serious as this and he is great.

Alan Sepinwall posted an entertaining interview with Rhea Seehorn who plays Kim: http://uproxx.com/sepinwall/better-call-saul-rhea-seehorn-kim-wexler-interview/

drunken officeparty posted:

Mike buying a gps for $1000+ in the middle of the night at an abandoned rail station like he's buying the loving iranian nuclear codes dude just go to bestbuy

Um. First off, it's an RF transmitter, not a GPS unit. Secondly, it seems to be a specialized unit and not something that would be sold retail which is why he needed the model/serial number. Thirdly, he needed the same exact model to find out how it and its tracking unit functioned and to fool whoever is tracking him. Fourth, you're probably just trolling and I fell for it, but it's ok because maybe someone reading this legitimately was wondering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

So what was the title of the paperback book that Gene was reading in the beginning during his lunch break?

David Niven’s memoir “The Moon’s a Balloon”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Moon%27s_a_Balloon

"The book is a funny yet tragic tale..."

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
The "job" car had a tracker too just so that's clear. That's how whoever left the note could even find the car in the middle of the desert.

some guy on the bus posted:

Yeah, but it's just like the same drama and stress I'm going through this Tuesday morning at work. Want to come watch me in my cube?

She's not only fixating on those details because it's her most important case, she's also fixating on them because of her internal turmoil about how she got the case in the first place. You just missed the sub text.

Data Graham posted:

I'm still missing something about the gas caps.

He asked for a cap for a Caprice, which I assume is what the "job" car is (the station wagon). But his personal car is a Chrysler. Which car did he buy the cap from the guy for? Why would he need another one for the job car?

I don't think Mike actually bought any gas cap, he just asked if they sold them as he was mentally working out where the tracker could be.

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Probably done with this show. Slow, boring, stilted emotional plays. See ya Saul, it was a good ride.

*reads custom title*
Checks out!

Edit:

TheAngryDrunk posted:

But when the guy came to swap the tracker, didn't that guy notice it wasn't a station wagon? I'm sure I'm missing something.

Both cars had trackers.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Chuck wants Jimmy to do something really stupid that he can catch him red-handed in once Jimmy hears about the tape. Jimmy will hear about the tape because Ernesto's loyalties have always swung closer to Jimmy than Chuck.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

fridge corn posted:

The petrol cap thing was not confusing at all, hell even my girlfriend managed to figure it out

Wow! Good for her man!

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

So long as we can differentiate between character and actor there's no problem.
Now watch some rear end in a top hat on 4chan threaten to kill Michael McKean IRL.

He'll have to get through Sir Christopher Guest first! Hopefully the rear end in a top hat's farther is still kicking.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Jerusalem posted:

Either that or he'll just play it to Kim as part of his ongoing effort to prove that Jimmy cannot be trusted as a lawyer.

But, doesn't Kim already know at least that Jimmy did something underhanded to get her the case and she just doesn't want to know the details?

Cojawfee posted:

Maybe you guys should actually pay attention and turn off your phones so you can figure out what Mike is doing.

Amen

The epidemic of Face Blindness continues to sweep the globe.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Ah, the Better Call Saul Season Three premiere. Up there with the likes of Primer, Memento, Inception, Fight Club, and The Usual Suspects.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
It'd be cathartic as gently caress if Jimmy outfoxed Chuck trying to outfox him.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Bobby Digital posted:

Imagine four gas caps on the edge of a display rack.

Gus works the same way.

Beat me to it. Though I was gonna go with "Four trackers on the edge..." Yours is better.

Sagebrush posted:

no those people are great, I love skipping five pages of zero-content posts every time a new episode airs

Yeah this is the point I've gotten to as well.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
A Jimmy/Howard team-up would be pretty amusing.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
I hope next week there's an even more convoluted (simpler?) scheme that breaks the internet even more.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

...what amounts to a young adult soap opera...

Hahahahaha. What.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

some guy on the bus posted:

I couldn't even make it through the cliff notes + images because i got bored reading about that. Go ahead, mock me, I dare you.

you're gonna get mocked so baaaaaaad man you won't enjoy it at. all.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Kim seemed to enjoy being an amateur con-artist in that one episode, so maybe that's part of what happens down the road...

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
There's probably so many things named Mesa something or another in New Mexico.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

clown shoes posted:

I never realized Ken was the same guy Walt crosses paths with in Breaking Bad.

drat. I never realized it was a deep cut either.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
This has probably been mentioned before, or some of you realized this in the past, but I personally just realized that it's probably no coincidence that Michael McKean is on this show. Just like Bryan Cranston's casting was helped by Vince Gilligan having met him on the X-Files episode Drive, Gilligan helped write a two-part X-Files episode called Dreamland that Michael McKean guest stars very prominently in: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreamland_(The_X-Files)

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

cowtown posted:

Should have erased the tape with a giant magnet.

InfiniteZero posted:

I don't believe that the tape itself matters at all and they went to great pains to explain that it was legally useless anyway(*). What would probably stick legally is two witnesses to Jimmy breaking and entering, committing assault, and most importantly attempting to destroy evidence. The episode was called "Witness".

(*) Hamlin said it wouldn't hold up, Chuck agreed it wouldn't hold up, Kim said it wouldn't hold up, and Kim confirmed it wouldn't hold up with her old law prof.

Hey I think cowtown was making a Breaking Bad/Jesse/Magnets joke. :)

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Boris Galerkin posted:

There was no indication that Gus was a manager/owner though. He was just a guy sweeping the floors, cleaning up the tables, taking out the trash. I think the normal thing to assume is that Gus was just a low level bus boy.

Unless fast food managers actually do this kind of stuff but I wouldn't know.

Managers at fast food (and higher) restaurants in the US do often dress like that (or are required to dress like that).

Managers at fast food restaurants in the US do (sometimes) pitch-in to get done whatever needs to get done.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Or maybe Kim encounters Gene and they run off together. :unsmith:

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

So there you go, he's both gay and not at the same time.

Schrodinger's (Heisenberg's?) Gus.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

No Luck Needed posted:

Chuck thinks that Jimmy is bringing his good McGil lawyer name down with him but Chuck can't tell that acting crazy about electricity is what is really hurting the McGil name. Everyone was super impressed that Jimmy could uncover the Sandpiper thing and was helping old people to boot. Everyone but Chuck. So I could see the change in name being related to Chuck.

Not that I agree with this 100%, but you do bring up an interesting point:

Most all of us have assumed that Jimmy changes his--or uses a different--name (or is forced to) for the benefit of Chuck and/or Chuck's law firm because Jimmy has tainted the name, but what if we have it all wrong and Jimmy changes his--or uses a different--name for his own benefit to distance himself from Chuck and/or Chuck's law firm who have tainted the name somehow instead?

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Colonel Whitey posted:

Without Slippin Jimmy/Saul, he's just another boring lawyer.

Like Hamlin, and like that prosecutor guy that just popped again this episode. Excellent point.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

That was great, he was eating two bags of chips at the same time for lunch and then started eating Jimmy's fries lmao

Didn't even seem like he had come close to finishing the chips too before he threw them in the trash.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Cojawfee posted:

Hello, My name is Saul McGill. After my brothers Chuck and Jimmy died, I've decided to become a lawyer in their honor. Since "good man" could be used as a descriptor for both of them, I am hereby changing my name to Saul Goodman. Though, I'm kind of a lovely dude, so I'm going to be a shady type of lawyer. Money laundering, meth deals, you know.

"My name is Saul Goodman. And I am the slipperiest man alive. When I was Jimmy McGill I found out my brother taped me saying something incriminating. I went to jail for breaking and entering his home. Then the resulting fallout made it impossible to use my real name. To the outside world I am an ordinary ambulance chasing lawyer, but secretly I use my ability to skirt the law to help criminals and help others like me. And one day, I'll manage a Cinnabon and constantly look over my shoulder. I am Slippin' Jimmy.

Javid posted:

He became a lawyer in the first place because he wanted to be like his big brother.

I feel like it's more that he became a lawyer to please and get approval from Chuck, and that that was never going to happen anyway because I don't think Chuck was ever going to let go of the past. Which makes all of this that much more tragic.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

maskenfreiheit posted:

then why is he saul, why not gently caress off to thailand?

I think Saul Goodman and Jim Brockmire being in the same place might rupture the fabric of spacetime and destroy us.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

drunken officeparty posted:

Ernesto looks like the biggest nerd ever and his car gives me embarassment

The contrast between him and his car is one of the most consistently hilarious parts of this show.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
So how'd that metal detector issue you guys talked about for pages end up? :v:

Anyway, Mike using the drill to run Chuck away and upstairs seemed like the funniest thing in the world to me.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

They went to the trouble of showing Gus with the cops so maybe Hector's in for some legal trouble.

Cnut the Great posted:

So Gus giving that speech at the fire station is definitely more foreshadowing that something big is going to happen with fire at the end of the season, right?

Yeah it was a firehouse Edgar Allen Ho, not a police station. And Cnut the Great, according to Sepinwall the significance might just be that that's apparently the very same firehouse that Walt brings the baby to in Ozymandias.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I dig the episode layout where the cartel and Jimmy main plots are mostly contained and segregated, with cartel all the first part and Jimmy the second part.

More interesting than that is that usually the show gets split into the "Mike Show" and the "Jimmy Show". This time the episode was split into the "Gus Show" and the "Jimmy Show" with Mike being the one to show up in both.

Argus Zant posted:

3) However, Jimmy now needs to straighten up and fly right in the eyes of the law, or else he'll be tossed in jail as though he was found guilty of those crimes by a jury

I raised a brow when the prosecutor mentioned he could only associate with law abiding citizens. Good luck with that.

R-Type posted:

She is just the absolute perfect typical democrat-affiliated and blatantly biased public prosecutor. They got that down to a loving T.

I swear almost every TV/IV post I've ever seen you make drags in something blatantly political. :rolleyes:

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

R-Type posted:

Just say it bro, just say it. Say what you really feel

I did say what I really felt you dolt. There was no hidden agenda, or as in your case, a transparent one (or just a drat gimmick) in loving TV/IV posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Justin Credible posted:

Am I the only one to notice he was THE doctor? The one that takes care of them after the Eladio fallout in Mexico?

No.

• Locked thread